Power Rankings and Playoff Chances: Week 12

AC Hartman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned I like stats and here is what I have for the power rankings and playoff chances. We are looking good.

We are on fire and ranked 6th. We have an 86.8 percent chance to make the playoffs. "So you're saying there is a chance" :)

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Good. 2 teams from last year are history as far as making the playoffs. GB will make it again.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I mentioned I like stats and here is what I have for the power rankings and playoff chances. We are looking good.

We are on fire and ranked 6th. We have an 86.8 percent chance to make the playoffs. "So you're saying there is a chance" :)

I think the Packers have a chance to run the table or maybe come out with one more loss this season.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in the power rankings posted on various sites like Fox Sports, SI, ESPN, but I keep checking them every week just waiting for Detroit to rank higher than Minnesota.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dig stats and rankings. I don't put as much stock in rankings as I do stats, but I like figures in general when it comes to football. I think the Atlanta game and the Patriots game are the toughest that are left, followed by Detroit, just because I think they can still put it all together and hang in there. If Green Bay can win their next two, I wouldn't see any reason why they couldn't run the table for the rest of the regular season unless they started to beat themselves again.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in the power rankings posted on various sites like Fox Sports, SI, ESPN, but I keep checking them every week just waiting for Detroit to rank higher than Minnesota.

Me too!

I also like the fact that in many of the Power Rankings, the Jets and Eagles are ranked a head of us, and we've already beaten them!

And after all the injuries we've had, to be ranked #4 (on most PR sights) says a lot about the resiliency of this team!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too!

I also like the fact that in many of the Power Rankings, the Jets and Eagles are ranked a head of us, and we've already beaten them!

And after all the injuries we've had, to be ranked #4 (on most PR sights) says a lot about the resiliency of this team!
Yes, but in almost everyone, we're ranked ahead of the bears, and they've beaten us...

Power Rankings means squat.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this might already be in here since it's got "Power Rankings" in the title. Perhaps I missed it?

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Power Rankings: the leader is the Pack!

Power Rankings: the leader is the Pack!

By Jonathan Comey
Cold, Hard Football Facts Leader of the Pack

With the race for the top of the league arguably 10 teams deep, we let our trusty formula make the decision for us this week – and it chose Green Bay.

The Packers haven’t had a truly poor game all season, and their KOs of Brad Childress and Wade Phillips probably endeared them to fans of the Vikings and Cowboys.In their three losses, they played well enough to win, and they’ve played a challenging schedule. Over the last three games, against three teams that made the Elite Eight a year ago, they allowed 0, 7 and 3 points.

They have candidates for Offensive Player of the Year (Aaron Rodgers, whose incredible stats we touted this week) and Defensive Player of the Year (Clay Matthews), plus a lot of individuals playing at a Pro Bowl level that you’ve probably never heard of – guard Josh Sitton, linebacker Desmond Bishop and cornerback Tramon Williams, especially.

So yeah, they’re No. 1, and a win in Atlanta Sunday in a huge NFC battle will pretty much cement their place. Green Bay-Atlanta, by the way, will be our Game of the Week on Sports Illustrated this week. So it's big-time stuff.

Speaking of cementing their place, it’s going to take some real doing to supplant the Panthers as the league’s worst team. The Panthers have eight double-digit losses, and are rumored to be looking at Todd Marinovich as their next
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
quarterback.

On to the rankings!

1. GREEN BAY (7-3)
Last week:
31-3 win at Minnesota
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Clay Matthews has at least one sack in 12 of his last 16 games, including playoffs, for a total of 18.5. Rodgers has 33 TDs and 10 INTs in his last 16 games. With these key players 24 and 26 years old, respectively, the future’s awfully bright in Green Bay.

2. NEW ENGLAND (8-2)
Last week:
31-28 win vs. Indianapolis
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Is Danny Woodhead the best in-season free agent pickup of the decade? He averages 5.6 yards per carry and almost 10 yards per catch with four touchdowns and no fumbles in 78 touches. He’s been hit for a loss only three times, and New England’s runners have been tackles for a loss just 15 times, fewest in the league.

3. PHILADELPHIA (7-3)
Last week:
27-17 win vs. N.Y. Giants
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Eagles have thrown the fewest interceptions on offense (4) and made the most interceptions on defense (19). Add that differential to a +1.1 yard per play advantage, second only to San Diego, and you have to wonder how they even lost three games.

4. ATLANTA (8-2)
Last week:
34-17 win at St. Louis
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Falcons resemble the classic Patriots Super Bowl teams – efficient passing (5 INTs for Matt Ryan), a bend-don’t-break defense (17th in total D, 6th in scoring D, 5th in Bendability) and good special teams. Plus, no one quite believes they’re good, which is always useful clubhouse fodder.

5. N.Y. JETS (8-2)
Last week:
30-27 win vs. Houston
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: What’s up with the Gang Green defense? The Jets have allowed 20+ points in six of their last eight games; they had only allowed 20+ in one of their previous 11 games including last year’s postseason.

6. NEW ORLEANS (7-3)
Last week:
34-19 win vs. Seattle
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Drew Brees’ receivers lead in the league in yards after catch (1,450).

7. N.Y. GIANTS (6-4)
Last week:
27-17 loss at Philadelphia
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Eli Manning has thrown a Favre-like number of INTs this year (16). But he’s also completing 75.4 percent of his first-down passes – only David Garrard has been better. Add that to Ahmad Bradshaw’s 559 first-down rushing yards (behind only Adrian Peterson), and the Giants are officially kings there.

8. BALTIMORE (7-3)
Last week:
37-13 win at Carolina
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: When you have three veterans with 600 career catches in the lineup, it pays off; the Ravens have dropped only six passes this year, easily the fewest in the league and fewer than Terrell Owens, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Gibson and Brandon Marshall have individually.

9. PITTSBURGH (7-3)
Last week:
35-3 win vs. Oakland
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Steelers have been in the top 10 in total defense every year since 2000 and are fifth this year. The only member of all 11 teams is Aaron Smith, who’s out for the year.

10. CHICAGO (7-3)
Last week:
16-0 win at Miami
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Bears have yet to allow 24 points in a game this year; in contrast, the Texans haven’t allowed less than 24 in a game this year.

11. INDIANAPOLIS (6-4)
Last week:
31-28 loss at New England
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Colts’ final six games are against teams behind them in the rankings, and four of the games are at home.

12. SAN DIEGO (5-5)
Last week:
35-14 win vs. Denver
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Maybe it’s time for (gulp!) a little love for Norv Turner? Dating back to his days in Washington, Turner’s teams have ranked in the top 10 in passing yards in seven of his last eight seasons, and he did it with Brad Johnson and Kerry Collins along with Philip Rivers. Barring a collapse, Rivers will lead the league in yards per attempt for the third straight year, done previously by only Kurt Warner and Steve Young.

Members online

Latest posts