Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Adam Gase is a complete moron whose head should be on black Monday's chopping block.
The latest trend seems to be to find the youngest coach possible. Different sport but, I happen to be a huge Chicago Blackhawks (note, I said BLACKHAWKS, not BEARS) fan. They fired a guy that won three Stanley Cups and replaced him with a guy who's younger than his goaltenders. The Bears may win more games in December than the Hawks.
Let's find the right guy, not the LATEST guy!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Right on, good man! Perhaps, I should have said, "A coach who will not give up on the run." I actually had Seattle on my mind. They seemed to be our nemesis during the McCarthy era. Ken Norton maybe? :) Might be a lousy idea but, I'd love to see a boxer's kid mentality installed in this locker room. :devilish:

Seattle has a completely different QB though in Wilson. In 7 years, Wilson has 635 rushing attempts and 3,596 yards. In 14 years, Rodgers has 563 attempts and 2,907 yards.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wanna do what the Saints did we with their aging QB. They're running around 40-47% of the time. That would be nice to take some pressure off Rodgers.

And a lot of Brees' pass attempts are to running backs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People interested in running the ball more might want to look hard at the Saints' offensive assistants (Pete Carmichael Jr., Dan Campbell) or Greg Roman.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna do what the Saints did we with their aging QB. They're running around 40-47% of the time. That would be nice to take some pressure off Rodgers.
So Rodgers changes the play and heaves it downfield. Then what?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So Rodgers changes the play and heaves it downfield. Then what?

One of (if not THE) biggest hurdles that a new OC or HC or both will need to clear is to get Rodgers on board with running the ball more and using the short passing game more. He has to buy in. If he doesn't, then I don't care how great of a strategist we hire.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why take the sticky off of this?

This will probably be the thread everybody is in until we hire a coach...kinda makes sense to have it up at the top.

Just my worthless two cents.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Petting has done a good job coordinating the Packers defense this season but the unit hasn't been elite by any means, therefore I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Packers new head coach decides to move on from him.
In what universe does one expect a first year DC to take a defense from trash to "elite" using mostly rookies and 2nd year players in the secondary and aging former superstars with a myriad of injuries across all 3 tiers of the lineup? Pettine has done a FANTASTIC job with the hand he has been dealt.

In the last game vs. the Bears Pettine was missing 5 of his front 7 coming into this season (Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Perry and Jake Ryan). So, only Matthews and Martinez remain. On top of that King & House, both projected as possible starters at CB coming into training camp (admittedly House more of a nickel or dime, but, most teams consider that a starter) are on IR. Clinton-Dix, a starting S was traded by management, and his backup Whitehead was let go. Two other safeties that might have filled-in, Greene and Campbell are also on IR.

To sum it up, going into the game at CHI, Pettine had four starters left from training camp, Matthews, Martinez, Williams, Alexander. Only Alexander is a plus player, the other three are O.K. (I don't include Brice because it is pretty obvious he isn't starting material at this point in his career [1 sack, 2 pass def., 40 tackles are his 2018 stats...not good] and they were eager to use others in his place every chance they could. No doubt they would have Campbell starting if healthy.)

So, ErIstGute is 100% correct about Pettine doing a "FANTASTIC job". Pettine's D has given the Packers a chance to win in almost every game. If Rodgers had contributed anything vs. the Bears this week, the Packers could have won with a defense almost completely devoid of talent (outside of Alexander). Pettine is AWESOME!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last game vs. the Bears Pettine was missing 5 of his front 7 coming into this season (Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Perry and Jake Ryan). So, only Matthews and Martinez remain. On top of that King & House, both projected as possible starters at CB coming into training camp (admittedly House more of a nickel or dime, but, most teams consider that a starter) are on IR. Clinton-Dix, a starting S was traded by management, and his backup Whitehead was let go. Two other safeties that might have filled-in, Greene and Campbell are also on IR.

To sum it up, going into the game at CHI, Pettine had four starters left from training camp, Matthews, Martinez, Williams, Alexander. Only Alexander is a plus player, the other three are O.K. (I don't include Brice because it is pretty obvious he isn't starting material at this point in his career [1 sack, 2 pass def., 40 tackles are his 2018 stats...not good] and they were eager to use others in his place every chance they could. No doubt they would have Campbell starting if healthy.)

So, ErIstGute is 100% correct about Pettine doing a "FANTASTIC job". Pettine's D has given the Packers a chance to win in almost every game. If Rodgers had contributed anything vs. the Bears this week, the Packers could have won with a defense almost completely devoid of talent (outside of Alexander). Pettine is AWESOME!
Agree, especially with your perspective on injuries. With the exception of the Redskins’ game, the D kept us in most games. For a change, the O was lacking.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see dark smoke coming from the chimney at Lambeau from my farm. Of course, when white smoke comes out it means a new head coach has been selected. I will keep you all posted.

I am hoping we go young guy I never heard of route who is innovative and fresh. But fear that isnt the best way to utilize Rodgers. Old dog, new trick, kind of thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of (if not THE) biggest hurdles that a new OC or HC or both will need to clear is to get Rodgers on board with running the ball more and using the short passing game more. He has to buy in. If he doesn't, then I don't care how great of a strategist we hire.

Which is funny because I seem to recall Rodgers advocating getting Aaron Jones more carries earlier in the year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Pettine has done a good job coordinating the defense this season but a new head coach should be allowed to hire his own staff. The Packers haven't been elite on that side of the ball, therefore nobody should get worked up about the team moving on from Pettine this offseason though.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
I agree that Pettine has done a good job coordinating the defense this season but a new head coach should be allowed to hire his own staff. The Packers haven't been elite on that side of the ball, therefore nobody should get worked up about the team moving on from Pettine this offseason though.
Person with over 20,000 posts is telling everyone else around here not to get worked up. Self-awareness is a wonderful thing.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should go after Vic Fangio.. I think he would bring a great coaching style and a solid defensive mind. Doesn't mean Pettine has to leave, it just means you now have 2 great defensive coaches. He could just then hire a solid OC.

At the same time they would take away from the Bears

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All of this was true for Capers as well and it didn't protect him (though I still believe MM kept Capers around to distract fans from what he was failing to do on the other side of the ball).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is funny because I seem to recall Rodgers advocating getting Aaron Jones more carries earlier in the year.

Shhhhh! Facts have no place once people have planted their flags on their side of the argument.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
james jones says he'd like to see 56 yr old rex ryan become the Packers new head coach. says players love him and he'd have the D in shape in no time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Right on, good man! Perhaps, I should have said, "A coach who will not give up on the run." I actually had Seattle on my mind. They seemed to be our nemesis during the McCarthy era. Ken Norton maybe? :) Might be a lousy idea but, I'd love to see a boxer's kid mentality installed in this locker room. :devilish:

Its because they went out and got Schottenheimer. I don't want a Schottenheimer offense and we have nowhere near the personnel upfront or in the backfield to successfully do it. 2-3 year project.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be pretty hard to have an elite defense with the players we have. I'd say impossible.

Point being, it would be very hard for our defense to have done better this year, I think.

That doesn't mean a new coach should be forced to keep him...but I would be sad to see him go.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Ed Werder live on radio today. He said, without any qualifications, that Jim Harbaugh is Mark Murphy's #1 choice to be the Packers' next HC.

Might not be able to pry him from Michigan.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they were to hire Jim Harbaugh, things would be entertaining...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
james jones says he'd like to see 56 yr old rex ryan become the Packers new head coach. says players love him and he'd have the D in shape in no time.
The main concern I have with getting a defensive minded coach is if the route running problem is going to get resolved (or whatever you want to call it). If Rodgers is going to hold the ball for seven seconds, someone had better get open.

Ed Werder live on radio today. He said, without any qualifications, that Jim Harbaugh is Mark Murphy's #1 choice to be the Packers' next HC.
He must remember the 49ers beating us also. Maybe Murphy's leaking the idea to try to tempt him. I hope he has some other choices in mind, in case Harbaugh was serious about staying in Michigan.

But doesn't this contradict a previous statement that they weren't looking for a guy with a big ego?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main concern I have with getting a defensive minded coach is if the route running problem is going to get resolved (or whatever you want to call it). If Rodgers is going to hold the ball for seven seconds, someone had better get open.
he'll have to get a strong o coordinator to reel that in. that and rodgers is going to have to be open to changing and being coached. rodgers mindset is critical. if he doesn't buy-in it doesn't matter who they get. they might as well just keep joe and ride out the contract.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he'll have to get a strong o coordinator to reel that in. that and rodgers is going to have to be open to changing and being coached. rodgers mindset is critical. if he doesn't buy-in it doesn't matter who they get. they might as well just keep joe and ride out the contract.
Yeah, part of the problem is scheming guys open. Another part is getting Rodgers to go through his reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.