Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Has anyone considered Jeff Tedford for Green Bay's next HC? He was Aaron Rodgers' college coach at California. He saw the potential in AR before anyone else. He helped developed him into becoming the maestro of throwing the ball. A college coach has to be a great communicator. Has to motivate. Also, he must foster healthy relationships.

He would be a low key hiring. His hiring may also prove to be essential in opening a pipeline of West Coast talent into Green Bay. He could refine the offense and would be a great contributor for Rodgers. He would definitely respect #12...

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...een-qbs-game-evolve-b9992257z1-222767991.html

While Tedford did a decent job coaching Rodgers in college his mechanics weren't ready for the pro game. McCarthy and his staff deserve a ton of credit developing #12 to become an elite NFL quarterback.

If he would be smart enough to hire good coordinators I wouldn't have a problem with giving a ST guy a chance. Keep Pettine on as DC and find an OC that can call a good game and oversee the whole damn thing.

My worry about hiring a defensive minded guy (Like Fangio) is that he may not keep Pettine on, which might be fine but it could set us back.

Petting has done a good job coordinating the Packers defense this season but the unit hasn't been elite by any means, therefore I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Packers new head coach decides to move on from him.

I'm sure there has been one, but I don't remember a season under McCarthy when the special teams was very good. The defense had a year or two of quality play/players, but other than that, its been pretty Meh too.

You're right about that. According to Football Outsiders DVOA the Packers only ranked twice within the top 10 in special teams performance over McCarthy's tenure, finishing eighth in both 2007 and '11. In addition they only ended up within the top half of the league once more.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think if you could magically bring the Packer Super Bowl 1 team into the future, as they were back then, they wouldn't stand a chance in today's NFL. Might even look like a match up between an NFL Team VS. a college team.
Another subject for another time, but I couldn't disagree more. I think Lombardi's teams and other great teams of that time, given the same advances and training techniques and so on, would beat the hell out of the teams today.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Another subject for another time, but I couldn't disagree more. I think Lombardi's teams and other great teams of that time, given the same advances and training techniques and so on, would beat the hell out of the teams today.

I think you missed my point, I wasn't saying take a Super Bowl Team from the 60's, bring all the players up to the same "advances and training techniques and so on". I merely was saying "pluck that team from the 60's and put them on the field as they were then." The 66 Packer OL and DL had average weights of less than 250 #'s/player.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, guys who had nothing in the way of training or diets has players today would not be in the same physical condition as guys who do it year-round for a living. The guys then smoked and had regular jobs. The whole point to your point is all things equal, the players and teams then we're Superior to now. I've got a long rebuttal to the whole subject but it will have to wait for another time, probably right after this season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, by 'all things equal', you bypass Brat's weight comparison, maybe so. However, I don't think Jerry and Fuzzy would be all that great pulling for The Sweep if one suddenly bulked them up by 60 pounds.

Plenty more to discuss, but I wonder about the mods and thread hijacking. Given the 17 pages and 400+ posts, maybe everyone has had their say on the new coach, and we can talk about this, a really interesting subject. What do you think?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, by 'all things equal', you bypass Brat's weight comparison, maybe so. However, I don't think Jerry and Fuzzy would be all that great pulling for The Sweep if one suddenly bulked them up by 60 pounds.

Plenty more to discuss, but I wonder about the mods and thread hijacking. Given the 17 pages and 400+ posts, maybe everyone has had their say on the new coach, and we can talk about this, a really interesting subject. What do you think?
I think using today's techniques, that extra 60lb would be speed and muscle just like it is for today's guys.
I had written an ''article" of sorts a while back but never sent it or posted it anywhere. I will in a few weeks when the season has settled down. I think it will be something that we'll all have a lot of fun with. At least, that's the hope.:tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The whole point to your point is all things equal

But all things aren't equal when it comes to comparing the players in the NFL in 1966 and today. As HE just pointed out, you are missing my whole point and you are missing that point by saying this.

That would be like saying that Napoleon’s Grande Armée if transported from the early 1800's into today's world, could beat any Countries Army today. Napoleon and his men would probably have a hard time going in and conquering the City of Green Bay.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But all things aren't equal when it comes to comparing the players in the NFL in 1966 and today. As HE just pointed out, you are missing my whole point and you are missing that point by saying this.

That would be like saying that Napoleon’s Grande Armée if transported from the early 1800's into today's world, could beat any Countries Army today. Napoleon and his men would probably have a hard time going in and conquering the City of Green Bay.

Again, it is obvious if you are taking 1966 vs today. But if you take 1966 and give them all the training diet in advantages that today's players have you have an entirely different dynamic.it would be like saying doctors from 50 years ago aren't as good as doctors today. but give them the same equipment advances and so on that today's doctors have who's to say they're not every bit as good? Think the troops from world war II wouldn't be at least a match for today's troops if they had all the same equipment weapons and technological advantages that today's do?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, it is obvious if you are taking 1966 vs today. But if you take 1966 and give them all the training diet in advantages that today's players have you have an entirely different dynamic.it would be like saying doctors from 50 years ago aren't as good as doctors today. but give them the same equipment advances and so on that today's doctors have who's to say they're not every bit as good? Think the troops from world war II wouldn't be at least a match for today's troops if they had all the same equipment weapons and technological advantages that today's do?

I think you finally get my point ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's not hijack. Put other discussions in their own threads. If you have nothing to add to this subject THEN STOP POSTING IN IT!! simple.

I know:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my point is that nobody else has had anything to add to the subject, either, and starting a new thread would waste several good posts. Can you move those about comparing era teams to a new thread, ala the combing of the 'coach' topics, or does somebody have to start from scratch?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine has done a good job coordinating the Packers defense this season but the unit hasn't been elite by any means, therefore I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Packers new head coach decides to move on from him.

If he does move on from him though, he had better not allow that clown Whitt to stay here.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Since I became a proponent of the "Fire Capers" thread; can I start a new one that just says; "Fire ___________" (fill in the blank.)?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Petting has done a good job coordinating the Packers defense this season but the unit hasn't been elite by any means, therefore I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Packers new head coach decides to move on from him.
Neither would I (depending on who the new HC and DC are, of course). But I would feel bad for Pettine. He took the leap of faith to come here, and I'd prefer to see him rewarded for that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with the “new guy” bringing in his own staff that he feels necessary to be successful with, but I’ve also been pretty happy with Pettine has done considering the guys he’s had available on a week to week basis in his first year installing the system.

I would feel more confident if he’s retained and our defense is heading into year 2 with him than having the whole team start over new next year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would feel more confident if he’s retained and our defense is heading into year 2 with him than having the whole team start over new next year.
Barring Bill Belichick walking into the coaching offices at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, I would agree with you. ;)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another article, this time by Silverstein, about how there's a good chance that Philbin stays if the Packers win out. I see one more of these and I'm going to puke. This organization needs fresh eyes and ideas from outside. The last four games post McCarthy won't prove much, if anything,and should not even be a consideration point for bringing back Philbin or anyone else currently here.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruh. Chill.

We aren't winning out. And even if we do, Philbin ain't gonna be our HC. I'll guarantee it. Triple stamp it.

Silverstein is just trying to get clicks. Don't fall for it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In what universe does one expect a first year DC to take a defense from trash to "elite" using mostly rookies and 2nd year players in the secondary and aging former superstars with a myriad of injuries across all 3 tiers of the lineup? Pettine has done a FANTASTIC job with the hand he has been dealt. As to head coach, I say hire Fangio while trying to convince him to keep Pettine and then he can bring in a solid OC and maybe give AR increased play-calling responsibilities ala Manning which would put the onus on him to perform and take away his means of blaming others. Bonus: Bears lose Fangio.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither would I (depending on who the new HC and DC are, of course). But I would feel bad for Pettine. He took the leap of faith to come here, and I'd prefer to see him rewarded for that.
Exactly. If a guy comes here and makes substantial improvements and is then let go the following season, I'm seeing that as a red flag if I'm considering a job with the Packers.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Cousins wasn’t the savior he was cut out to be. He’s playing at about the same level as he did in D.C. and maybe a little worse this year. They never have had a ton of talent on O, exceptions include Thielen and Diggs. That hasn’t translated to victories, much less the dominance predicted for this year. They would probably be better off, and with a lot more cap space, had they kept Keenum.

That's why I was shocked when MN paid so much for him. I always thought that he was nothing but an average QB. Not sorry that MN paid all that money though.:D

D

Deleted member 6794

In what universe does one expect a first year DC to take a defense from trash to "elite" using mostly rookies and 2nd year players in the secondary and aging former superstars with a myriad of injuries across all 3 tiers of the lineup? Pettine has done a FANTASTIC job with the hand he has been dealt.

While I agree that Pettine has done a good job I don't think there's any reason to get worked up about a new head coach possibly replacing him with his own guy.

If a guy comes here and makes substantial improvements and is then let go the following season, I'm seeing that as a red flag if I'm considering a job with the Packers.

Actually a head coach not being allowed to select his staff is a way larger red flag.

Reaction score
While I agree that Pettine has done a good job I don't think there's any reason to get worked up about a new head coach possibly replacing him with his own guy.

Actually a head coach not being allowed to select his staff is a way larger red flag.

Didn't MM fire some of his coaches after the 1st yr.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts