Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can imagine Gute and Murphy have their short list of current Packer coaches that they may want to keep, but I doubt they are married to it. When they are interviewing potential HC candidates, they are probably asking each candidate "Who do you see being your coaching staff?" Gute or Murph might say "If we hire you, is this a guy(s) that you could work with, we like him because of ............." The answer the HC candidate gives may or may not influence their final decision depending on the final look of the staff each candidate feels they want/can hire or can work with.

Pettine is about the only guy I would like to see kept, but I won't lose any sleep if he isn't. Bottom line for me is, you just fired your HC, now is the time for a big change in coaching. Don't just try to put a band aid on it by keeping Philbin as the HC and only replacing a guy here and there.

Reaction score
I they want to keep the eliminate hiring a head hunter for a HC and decide strictly for the main offices.
Great organization ......that's one way of saying: If we choose the wrong guy, we're all responsible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I they want to keep the eliminate hiring a head hunter for a HC and decide strictly for the main offices.
Great organization ......that's one way of saying: If we choose the wrong guy, we're all responsible.

Ultimately Murph and Gute would still shoulder the blame, even if they hired a HC that a head hunter recommended. I think they have a short list or even the guy they want in mind, so why farm it out?

I don't know much about the NFL and its use of Consulting Firms for GM or HC hires. Anyone have any stats on how often they are used, cost to use, success rate?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We gotta get Ken Whisenhunt in here, he can get Rodgers under control and fix the offense. All the evidence I need of that is on the LA Chargers right now.

I hope those Chargers win the SB and that'll make him an automatic hire.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We gotta get Ken Whisenhunt in here, he can get Rodgers under control and fix the offense. All the evidence I need of that is on the LA Chargers right now.

I hope those Chargers win the SB and that'll make him an automatic hire.

Unlikely that anyone gives Whisenhunt a 3rd shot after how his first two attempts ended. The general opinion of him seems to be that he belongs at OC.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Today basically erases whatever small chance Philbin had going for him, and that's some good news.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
What about that Kevin Stefanski guy? Nab a rising young coach?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today basically erases whatever small chance Philbin had going for him, and that's some good news.
Well, I have nothing against Philbin, but you're probably right. He had a chance to show us something, and today we didn't see it.
If you look at the posts leading up to the Bears game though, most were expecting us to get blown out, and we were at least competitive.
The Bears defense is tough to play against.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, I have nothing against Philbin, but you're probably right. He had a chance to show us something, and today we didn't see it.
If you look at the posts leading up to the Bears game though, most were expecting us to get blown out, and we were at least competitive.
The Bears defense is tough to play against.

When the biggest issue on the team is Rodgers not living with the system, it makes less than zero sense to me to keep McCarthy disciple on as head coach.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Well the Dolphins are 1-6 on the road this year. Their one win was against the Jets. Their six losses have come at an average of 18 points per... So I wouldn't get too carried away.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's way too early to make an educated evaluation about Stefanski after he has been the coordinator for a single game. The Packers should definitely move in another direction.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y'all are likely younger and smarter than me so, I'll leave the names of the available candidates to you but, some rambling thoughts:

I'd like either an offensive coach committed to a run-first system or a defensive coach (my personal preference) committed to hiring an Offensive Coordinator with a run-first system. Big plays are always great but, should not be the primary emphasis as it has been during the McCarthy era. Let's concentrate on moving the chains!
I suspect the first response will be, "But, what about Aaron Rodgers?" My new coach will sit him down and make it clear, "We have to pay you, we don't have to play you." If Rodgers is willing to buy into the new system (contrary to popular opinion, I'm betting he would do so), then go forward; if he is not, then draft his successor and move on.

[Now headed to my .mp3 list for Ramble On or Ramblin' Man]

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Y'all are likely younger and smarter than me so, I'll leave the names of the available candidates to you but, some rambling thoughts:

I'd like either an offensive coach committed to a run-first system or a defensive coach (my personal preference) committed to hiring an Offensive Coordinator with a run-first system. Big plays are always great but, should not be the primary emphasis as it has been during the McCarthy era. Let's concentrate on moving the chains!
I suspect the first response will be, "But, what about Aaron Rodgers?" My new coach will sit him down and make it clear, "We have to pay you, we don't have to play you." If Rodgers is willing to buy into the new system (contrary to popular opinion, I'm betting he would do so), then go forward; if he is not, then draft his successor and move on.

With all due respect, the Packers have been built to be a Pass first, run second team. What you are suggesting might sound great in theory (if successful), but really isn't practical with the current team the Packers have assembled and most importantly, not when you have the highest paid player in the NFL that excels at passing. Good luck convincing Rodgers that the Packers are now going to run the ball 50% of the time. How did the team fare last season with Hundley handing the ball off more than we see Rodgers do it?

I get it, Rodgers and the Packers had a bad season, but so many factors have gone into it and for people to suggest getting rid of #12 or turning into a run oriented team are ignoring what made the Packers a successful team for many years with Rodgers at QB.

NCPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as it's not Philbin, an ex-player, or a bonehead like Jim Schwartz, I'll be fine.

Put our demise into perspective: we were officially eliminated from the playoffs before the Browns. *slow golf clap*

FarmerPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see a defensive minded coach who doesn't call the plays. Get a couple of coordinators who can do their jobs and have the HC oversee the whole game without losing sight of half of it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm curious what you mean by "run first system?"

Only one team (Seattle) has actually run the ball more than they've thrown the ball this season. In 2017 and 2016 there were zero such teams. In 2015 there was one (Buffalo).

Teams that run more than they throw are next to non-existent. When they do crop up, they almost always involved a QB who runs quite often.

So if you mean that the Packers should hire someone who will run more than he will pass, that's not going to happen. If you mean that they should run more, I absolutely think that's true. The Packers are throwing the ball over 66% of the time this season... that's way too high.

I for one really want to see them use their running backs more effectively in both the run and pass game.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna do what the Saints did we with their aging QB. They're running around 40-47% of the time. That would be nice to take some pressure off Rodgers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Dolphins are 1-6 on the road this year. Their one win was against the Jets. Their six losses have come at an average of 18 points per... So I wouldn't get too carried away.

Not to mention Adam Gase is a complete moron whose head should be on black Monday's chopping block.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seriously, what's with this dumb fascination with do-nothing Vikes OCs? Everyone called John DeFilippo a rising star too, and how did that turn out?

Hell, the guy who gave Keenum a good season last year has an atrocious offense on the New York Giants.

The amount of OCs coming out of the purple house who have gone on to be successful HCs is ......

ZERO, Zilch, Nada Nobody

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately Murph and Gute would still shoulder the blame, even if they hired a HC that a head hunter recommended. I think they have a short list or even the guy they want in mind, so why farm it out?

I don't know much about the NFL and its use of Consulting Firms for GM or HC hires. Anyone have any stats on how often they are used, cost to use, success rate?

I have never even heard of NFL front offices using a middle man like that. I suppose it could work, but if I was the GM I'd want to be doing most of the talking to HCs to get a feel of what kind of players they're looking for, what kind of philosophy they embrace, etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have never even heard of NFL front offices using a middle man like that. I suppose it could work, but if I was the GM I'd want to be doing most of the talking to HCs to get a feel of what kind of players they're looking for, what kind of philosophy they embrace, etc.
Yup, that was why I asked, I haven't heard of any NFL teams using the middle man approach either, not saying it isn't done though. Definitely not an approach I can see Murphy and Gute wanting to use. "Hey Gute, the service called, they found our new HC and he is flying in to sign the contract, put some pants on!"

I think a lot of College Programs are using this type of service, but I have to think that is due to the AD's not knowing the market very well for one sport of the many that they are over seeing.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious what you mean by "run first system?"

Only one team (Seattle) has actually run the ball more than they've thrown the ball this season. In 2017 and 2016 there were zero such teams. In 2015 there was one (Buffalo).

Teams that run more than they throw are next to non-existent. When they do crop up, they almost always involved a QB who runs quite often.

So if you mean that the Packers should hire someone who will run more than he will pass, that's not going to happen. If you mean that they should run more, I absolutely think that's true. The Packers are throwing the ball over 66% of the time this season... that's way too high.

I for one really want to see them use their running backs more effectively in both the run and pass game.

Right on, good man! Perhaps, I should have said, "A coach who will not give up on the run." I actually had Seattle on my mind. They seemed to be our nemesis during the McCarthy era. Ken Norton maybe? :) Might be a lousy idea but, I'd love to see a boxer's kid mentality installed in this locker room. :devilish:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know what I like about you? Your subtly.
:roflmao:

Kind of like this subtle hint of what happened while your car was parked in that unlit parking garage?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts