Post-draft cuts, and potential GB pick ups

H

HardRightEdge

The Steelers were the only top team to go with a rookie kicker most of last season in Chris Boswell. They signed him in week 5 after Josh Scobee, the veteran they acquired in a trade with the Jaguars during the offseason, struggled mightily making only six of 10 attempts and was released resulting in $2.5 million of dead cap.

This should serve as an example that bringing in a veteran doesn´t work out all the time either.
I think this discussion is exhausted.

H

HardRightEdge

With Pierce being a long shot to make the team the coaching staff will have to decide if Ripkowski is capable of making a significant jump in his second season to justify getting more snaps. If he hasn´t developed to that point yet I would be fine with re-signing Kuhn to a veteran minimum deal.
The mere fact they're talking to Kuhn indicates they may not be keen on Ripkowski as other than a special teams player. Kuhn's an exceptionally smart player and he can catch the ball. He's proven to be an effective security blanket.

You can assume the Packers are not blind to the unprecedented (over the years of the playoff run) FA class and the cap squeeze coming in 2017. There is a "strike while the fire is hot" element in signing Crosby, Perry, Starks, Cook and perhaps Kuhn, some of whom we agree were overpaid. I believe this may signal impatience emanating from the top.
I could still go on another 10 pages. :D
Me too! But we must consider the good of the forum. I'm surprised we have not had a mod come along and threaten to shut this down for no good reason. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I would be happy to have Kuhn back, but these conversations should be short ones.

'Hey John, will you come back for the veterans minimum? Great, welcome back.'
Well, that's the way it went last year, so you can figure it's going the same way now. From Kuhn's perspective, it could come down to some good faith bonus money. He's clearly aware they keep trying to get rid of him and can't seem to kick the habit. He might want something in his pocket given the risk they might cut him before week 1 if some fresh, pretty face comes along.

Or maybe he's considering an alternative offer. Frankly, if I were running a similar system, I use a FB (which about a dozen or so teams still do), and I had a dumb young QB, I'd want to consider him for the on-field assistance alone.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, that's the way it went last year, so you can figure it's going the same way now. From Kuhn's perspective, it could come down to some good faith bonus money. He's clearly aware they keep trying to get rid of him and can't seem to kick the habit. He might want something in his pocket given the risk they might cut him before week 1 if some fresh, pretty face comes along.

Well, the Packers could only offer him $80,000 in bonuses to still be eligible for the veteran minimum benefit to reduce his cap hit to the number that is equal for a player with two years of experience.

H

HardRightEdge

I forgot to finish an earlier thought.

I've been a Braves fan since my youth in Milwaukee prior to the move to Atlanta. I cannot tell you how dissatisfying it was to see 14 straight Division titles with so little post-season success.

I would have traded several years missing the playoffs for another championship.

As pertains to the Packers, I suspect that's a minority opinion.

However, whether you look at Crosby, Perry, Starks, Cook and perhaps Kuhn, together with the 2017 cap squeeze and an unprecedented number of quality free agents after this season, I cannot disagree with a "shore it up and strike while the fire is hot" approach as we see here for 2016.

There's little doubt in my mind 2017 will be a "rebuild on the fly" season.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Well, the Packers could only offer him $80,000 in bonuses to still be eligible for the veteran minimum benefit to reduce his cap hit to the number that is equal for a player with two years of experience.
Sounds good to me.

There are a number of possibilities. Kuhn may be mulling whether he wants go around one more time. Maybe he has to convince his wife. Maybe there are negotiations over a role for Kuhn in the organization after this year. He strikes me as the kind of guy you'd want in some kind of capacity. Maybe he's mulling another offer to play with one of those dumb young QBs.

In any event, I think we'll know by 5/23 when OTAs begin.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, whether you look at Crosby, Perry, Starks, Cook and perhaps Kuhn, together with the 2017 cap squeeze and an unprecedented number of quality free agents after this season, I cannot disagree with a "shore it up and strike while the fire is hot" approach as we see here for 2016.

I´m not convinced that is the Packers approach entering this season. While Thompson overpaid for some of the team´s own free agents he didn´t make any desperate moves this offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m not convinced that is the Packers approach entering this season. While Thompson overpaid for some of the team´s own free agents he didn´t make any desperate moves this offseason.
Whether a move would have been regarded as "desperate" or otherwise, he didn't have the cap space to do it. Cook was as far as he could go, even if he was inclined otherwise.

We've been over this before. Other than Masthay, there's no plausible candidate for a cut to pick up cap space except Masthay, and he only buys around $1 mil.

D

Deleted member 6794

Whether a move would have been regarded as "desperate" or otherwise, he didn't have the cap space to do it. Cook was as far as he could go, even if he was inclined otherwise.

We've been over this before. Other than Masthay, there's no plausible candidate for a cut to pick up cap space except Masthay, and he only buys around $1 mil.

True, but while this year´s offseason moves contributed to the Packers not having a lot of cap space for the most part contracts handed out by Thompson over the last few years were the main factor in it.

H

HardRightEdge

True, but while this year´s offseason moves contributed to the Packers not having a lot of cap space for the most part contracts handed out by Thompson over the last few years were the main factor in it.
It's a situation that's been building since the Super Bowl season. Core player retention has been high, with those players taking an increasing bite out of the cap. Winning has a price with a long hangover in the effort to stay on top.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks and Crosby are the two largest squeezes that were unnecessary IMO. We've all seen and know a solid RB in this league is much easier thing to find nowadays in the draft's mid-rounds...let alone you had Lacy for this year atleast...fat or not. Just not forward thinking at all on TT's part and those are two contracts I cannot believe were made. Perry's I get it was one year atleast.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Perry will most likely continue to be a rotational player Thompson overpaid for him as well.

I'm merely saying at least he didn't stretch Perry into and over this year...further crippling us next off season. I cannot wait for this next offseason...there is gonna be a lot of wailing and crying when folks start seeing some of the must release situations we are in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm merely saying at least he didn't stretch Perry into and over this year...further crippling us next off season. I cannot wait for this next offseason...there is gonna be a lot of wailing and crying when folks start seeing some of the must release situations we are in.

I like that Perry only got a one year contract as well but $5 million is way too much for a rotational player.

H

HardRightEdge

Considering Perry will most likely continue to be a rotational player Thompson overpaid for him as well.
Right...a one year prove it deal, while backing and filling to provide rotation and insurance with no other candidate on the roster for a #3 OLB on the roster. Everybody wants more than one reason to support a decision. Fackrell is a year away...he's just too d*mn skinny without being the kind of player/athlete of an equally skinny Floyd who will likely contribute something on sheer talent.

Thompson paid up to cover with an adequate player in the event of an injury to Matthews or Peppers. It's a conservative move. Who else would ya got to put out there for 3 downs? Elliott? I don't think so. It comes close to a desperation move in the sense that $5 mil paid now is about $4.5 mil not carried over for the purpose of a championship push.

Think about it...when top teams get derailed in a particular season, it's frequently due to injury. Thompson has made short-term moves to mitigate those risks.

I am a little surprised by Thompson breaking pattern with these signings while squeezing his 2017 cap. I suspect there is growing impatience, if not independently formed and internal on Thompson's part, then it's coming from Murphy, or from Murphy by way of the Board of Directors.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right...a one year prove it deal, while backing and filling to provide rotation and insurance with no other candidate on the roster for a #3 OLB on the roster. Every wants more than one reason to support a decision. Fackrell is a year away...he's just too d*mn skinny without being the kind of player/athlete of an equally skinny Floyd who will likely contribute something on sheer talent.

Thompson paid up to cover with an adequate player in the event of an injury to Matthews or Peppers. It's a conservative move. Who else would ya got to put out there for 3 downs? Elliott? I don't think so. It comes close to a desperation move in the sense that $5 mil paid now is about $4.5 mil not carried over for the purpose of a championship push.

I guess Perry will get the third most snaps at the position but expect Datone Jones, Elliott and even Fackrell to get some playing time as well. Even with the Packers lacking depth I think Thompson overpaid to retain Perry´s services.

H

HardRightEdge

Starks and Crosby are the two largest squeezes that were unnecessary IMO. We've all seen and know a solid RB in this league is much easier thing to find nowadays in the draft's mid-rounds...let alone you had Lacy for this year atleast...fat or not. Just not forward thinking at all on TT's part and those are two contracts I cannot believe were made. Perry's I get it was one year atleast.
Starks is another of those risk-averse moves. You know what you're getting, and he did come off a highly productive season. Even with a first round pick, you could end up with a Melvin Gordon-type year.

This assumes he doesn't sprain his knee for the umpteenth time. I don't think they would have brought him back but for the fact he made it through the last 2 season playing in all 16 games and all of the earlier missed time has left him with low mileage for a 7th. year back. They chose to overlook 2016's ball security issues, which is saying something given how quickly and for how long McCarthy sends runners to the bench after a fumble.

2016 is all about having reliable depth for a push before the 2017 cap/FA issues hit.

Lets hope the veteran players, particularly those who already have a ring, show a similar sense of urgency.

D

Deleted member 6794

Starks is another of those risk-averse moves. You know what you're getting, and he did come off a highly productive season. Even with a first round pick, you could end up with a Melvin Gordon-type year.

This assumes he doesn't sprain his knee for the umpteenth time. I don't think they would have brought him back but for the fact he made it through the last 2 season playing in all 16 games and all of the earlier missed time has left him with low mileage for a 7th. year back. They chose to overlook 2016's ball security issues, which is saying something given how quickly and for how long McCarthy sends runners to the bench after a fumble.

I completely understand the reasoning behing bringing Starks back. There was no need to pay him $3 million per season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We agreed that winning has a cost. So does insurance.
This is so true. There are thousand ways to Rome, it applies to everything. Each way has its pro's and con's, each way comes with its costs and payoffs. It doesn't matter if you're traveling to Rome, building a bank account, a stock portfolio, finding a partner, getting a dog or building a football team. It applies to everything. There are a lot of ways to do things well. Taking risks and gambling is one way, steady and true is another. A mix of both in any degree can also get you to where you want to be. Everything has cost and everything has payoff. Successful people are good at whatever method they have chosen.

I don't think it's a secret how Ted choses to build a team. We're a close team, 2 years ago I still think we were the best team and they choked in every way imaginable. I do expect a bounce back this year. I think a little extra money to a kicker, to have one less position to fill on a team, that with a little luck could be winning in February again, is a small price to pay. I don't think it affects players kept or lost going forward, as a guy like Ted already has his plan and these things were already accounted for.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a little extra money to a kicker, to have one less position to fill on a team, that with a little luck could be winning in February again, is a small price to pay.

It´s kind of strange that you continue to consider $13 million over four seasons as a little extra money.

Members online

Latest posts