Post-draft cuts, and potential GB pick ups

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read we have about $5mil in cap. I havnt looked up who got cut after the draft yet... But since we don't have a ton of cap, I cant imagine a splash move anymore... But could we fill in some depth? or get a bargain on a desperate veteran?

Also would TT blow his secret stash of roll over cap, on a year he knows we need to do well? He loves his cush.... But next year will be a rebuild weither we like it or not. So do we go all in this year?

Also, with our new players, and other teams adding new players, like the browns who drafted 5 WRs. lol. There may be some opportunity to find a team stacked at a position we are in need. And visa versa? I think our roster is fairly solid top to bottom. But there is always room for improvement... So is there any player trades out there? We have 7+ WRs now. We have a pile of OLBs on their last year. We have 2 valuable Guards with good backups....

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see much happening as far as personnel change for the remainder of the offseason.
I could see a veteran or two get contract extensions before the start of the season, such as
Sitton.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also would TT blow his secret stash of roll over cap, on a year he knows we need to do well? He loves his cush.... But next year will be a rebuild weither we like it or not. So do we go all in this year?

Define "rebuild". Because if it means what I think it means I couldn't disagree more. Are there some key players that are going to be free agents? Absolutely, but by no means is next year going to be a rebuild. If anything I think what this draft/off-season has done is alleviate any concerns of a potential rebuild.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Define "rebuild". Because if it means what I think it means I couldn't disagree more. Are there some key players that are going to be free agents? Absolutely, but by no means is next year going to be a rebuild. If anything I think what this draft/off-season has done is alleviate any concerns of a potential rebuild.
well our Oline is basicly all up for contracts. LT, LG, RG, and #1 T back up at least. We also have all of our OLBs except Mathews up for contracts... On top of that, the cap to simply resign these guys just isn't there. So yea. Our offensive line that we took 6+ years to build needs to be rebuilt. And the OLBs we took 5 years to accumulate, all have to be high graded.

This is the beginning...

can we salvage a team, and put band aides on afterwards? yes. Can we stay competitive until Rodgers retires? Most definitely. But peaking is a window. You have to replace guys with draft picks if you don't hit that window... And right now we are going to lose guys next year. It started. And it wont get better until you regroup, and rebuild... IMO

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see much happening as far as personnel change for the remainder of the offseason.
I could see a veteran or two get contract extensions before the start of the season, such as
Sitton.

With Sitton turning 30 in June and him having chronic back ailments I don't expect the Packers to extent his contract before the season starts.

This article implies the Packers will actually have 8-9 million in cap space after picks are signed. Who is right

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...pool-will-leave-only-5-3-million-in-cap-space

Also the team has some bug free agents to sign next year but they also have some big contracts come off the books right?

The Packers will have approximately $8.5 million in cap space available after signing all of their draft picks. They will have to use $2 million of it on #52 and #53 on the roster as well as the practice squad and an additional $3-5 million for players replacing guys being put on injured reserve during the season.

To put it in a nutshell, the Packers don't have a lot of cap space to work with.

D

Deleted member 6794

But next year will be a rebuild weither we like it or not. So do we go all in this year?

The Packers won't be in a rebuilding mode as long as Rodgers is the team's quarterback. It's true Thompson won't be able to afford to re-sign some of the team's free agents next offseason but already tried to address some of those losses in this year's draft.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won't be in a rebuilding mode as long as Rodgers is the team's quarterback. It's true Thompson won't be able to afford to re-sign some of the team's free agents next offseason but already tried to address some of those losses in this year's draft.
Not a ground up restoration obviously....

If you go back and look at Thompson and McCarthys contract extensions... They coincide with big showings. Championship against Giants earned them a contract, and a rebuild started... We win a superbowl, and they get new deals. That rebuild was subtle because the superbowl run was premature IMO, and the team had not peaked yet... But never the less, Thompson pressed reset and started fresh on the 5 year plan. Which we seemingly were supposed to peak in 2015... We bought another year by spending Thompsons carryover cap space he saved the last 10 years, to resign this years free agents. Now its gone, and next years free agent class is big names, valuable, and we cant sign them all... I think thats a sign a rebuild of sorts, is coming...Or that was the trend the last decade at least.

This year is a big year for Ted Thompsons team. GB needs to go far for Thompson to get another extension IMO. Safely. Rodgers can take this team to the promised land any given year. But when you start talking about 60% of the Oline, and the top back up (not counting the rookies) up for a deal. and Peppers, Perry, Jones, Elliot up for contracts... along with a bunch of other guys like Lacy, Hyde, Cook, Barrington, among other who might earn some consideration by next year.......
So in short, we NEED to resign Lacy. We will at least need to find replacments for Hyde, Cook. BEFORE we spend the rest of our cheese keeping the most important parts of the Oline, and OLB corps...

The next year Haha AND Burnett!!! Sheilds. Starks. Richard Rodgers. Adams/ Janis. Linsley and Lane Taylor... All will be expensive to retain. Some very expensive.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a ground up restoration obviously....

If you go back and look at Thompson and McCarthys contract extensions... They coincide with big showings. Championship against Giants earned them a contract, and a rebuild started... We win a superbowl, and they get new deals. That rebuild was subtle because the superbowl run was premature IMO, and the team had not peaked yet... But never the less, Thompson pressed reset and started fresh on the 5 year plan. Which we seemingly were supposed to peak in 2015... We bought another year by spending Thompsons carryover cap space he saved the last 10 years, to resign this years free agents. Now its gone, and next years free agent class is big names, valuable, and we cant sign them all... I think thats a sign a rebuild of sorts, is coming...Or that was the trend the last decade at least.

This year is a big year for Ted Thompsons team. GB needs to go far for Thompson to get another extension IMO. Safely. Rodgers can take this team to the promised land any given year. But when you start talking about 60% of the Oline, and the top back up (not counting the rookies) up for a deal. and Peppers, Perry, Jones, Elliot up for contracts... along with a bunch of other guys like Lacy, Hyde, Cook, Barrington, among other who might earn some consideration by next year.......
So in short, we NEED to resign Lacy. We will at least need to find replacments for Hyde, Cook. BEFORE we spend the rest of our cheese keeping the most important parts of the Oline, and OLB corps...

The next year Haha AND Burnett!!! Sheilds. Starks. Richard Rodgers. Adams/ Janis. Linsley and Lane Taylor... All will be expensive to retain. Some very expensive.

With all due respect I have no idea what you are talking about. This team hasn't been rebuilding since 2008, and really, not since the mini rebuild of 2005-06. Also, championship against Giants..not sure what you're referring to there.

If you are talking about turnover there has always been plenty of that during this era.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect I have no idea what you are talking about. This team hasn't been rebuilding since 2008, and really, not since the mini rebuild of 2005-06. Also, championship against Giants..not sure what you're referring to there.

If you are talking about turnover there has always been plenty of that during this era.
well if you consider 2006 a mini rebuild... then never mind. :)im splitting hairs. just going off what ive gathered.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well if you consider 2006 a mini rebuild... then never mind. :)im splitting hairs. just going off what ive gathered.

Well assuming Spiggs can play LT and we resign just one of the Sitton/Lang combo you're only looking for a RG on the Oline next season in the starting lineup and with Peppers retiring we'll be looking for a replacement for him but also drafted someone I'm sure the front office thinks has the ability to possibly step in within a year.

That may not account for depth issues but those come up every year and you got the draft to look towards for adding depth and possibly filling those vacated spots along with possibly filling them with young guys we drafted just this year.

In any case needing to replace two starters no matter how important, unless it's Rodgers, doesn't mean it should be considered a rebuilding year

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure seems like the Packers already view Lane Taylor not Taormina as a potential starting at guard after giving him a 3 year deal. So like Ryder said sign one of the two and your interior is likely set. If Spriggs is starter material than you are good there. This draft almost seemed like the draft to replenish the tackle spot not the guard spot. Seemsike they have a plan at guard right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It sure seems like the Packers already view Lane Taormina as a potential starting at guard after giving him a 3 year deal. So like Ryder said sign one of the two and your interior is likely set. If Spriggs is starter material than you are good there. This draft almost seemed like the draft to replenish the tackle spot not the guard spot. Seemsike they have a plan at guard right now.

I guess you're talking about Taylor who got a two year contract. I agree the signing indicates the coaching staff sees him as part of the future at guard.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

20% every year. It's Thompson's way. Constant refresh. No reason to worry about it, it will work itself out. We'll be fine and we won't have cap problems either. Some of the 30 year olds will be gone and they will replaced by young up and comers. It's all good. We'll still be winning games at our usual clip.

Sky King

Reaction score
2017's possible OL:

Tackles: Bakhtiari plus either Bulaga or Spriggs
Guards: Healthiest incumbent plus either Bulaga, Spriggs, Taylor or Rotheram
Center: Linsley

Backups: Murphy and any non-starters above.

My 2017 stab in the dark: LT Bakhtiari, LG Bulaga, C Linsley, RG Rotheram, RT Spriggs

Backups: Taylor and Murphy plus ??

Reasons: Reduces dead-money hit (Bulaga getting cut prior to contract ending, plus he's youthful, relatively speaking, though not ideally healthy); long-term solution to Tackle positions (which apparently are valued more than Guards in GB, anyway); keeps payroll down by utilizing mostly younger, healthier bodies playing on rookie contracts. Maybe they'll keep one of the incumbent guards but I'm guessing that they both may be allowed to leave in FA to garner extra comp picks rather than allowing them to retire (after another contract) and getting nothing in return.

Wildcard: Bulaga's health. Could prompt move to G if it's perceived to be easier on his body or result in him getting cut regardless of cap hit.
Not a surprise: Sitton retires if his back and/or foot health do not return to near normal.
Words mostly lived-by in GB: "Better to let them go a year too early than a year too late."

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you're talking about Taylor who got a two year contract. I agree the signing indicates the coaching staff sees him as part of the future at guard.
Haha. Stupid auto correct (how does it auto correct to that). I thought it was a 3 year deal so I was wrong all the way around.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2017's possible OL:

Tackles: Bakhtiari plus either Bulaga or Spriggs
Guards: Healthiest incumbent plus either Bulaga, Spriggs, Taylor or Rotheram
Center: Linsley

Backups: Murphy and any non-starters above.

My 2017 stab in the dark: LT Bakhtiari, LG Bulaga, C Linsley, RG Rotheram, RT Spriggs

Backups: Taylor and Murphy plus ??

Reasons: Reduces dead-money hit (Bulaga getting cut prior to contract ending, plus he's youthful, relatively speaking, though not ideally healthy); long-term solution to Tackle positions (which apparently are valued more than Guards in GB, anyway); keeps payroll down by utilizing mostly younger, healthier bodies playing on rookie contracts. Maybe they'll keep one of the incumbent guards but I'm guessing that they both may be allowed to leave in FA to garner extra comp picks rather than allowing them to retire (after another contract) and getting nothing in return.

Wildcard: Bulaga's health. Could prompt move to G if it's perceived to be easier on his body or result in him getting cut regardless of cap hit.
Not a surprise: Sitton retires if his back and/or foot health do not return to near normal.
Words mostly lived-by in GB: "Better to let them go a year too early than a year too late."

I like Bakhtiari as much as anyone but there's little reason to resign him if Spriggs looks like a player in this league he has the athleticism to play LT and Bakhtiari will command a pretty sizeable salary being a LT. There's not much of a reason to resign him when you factor in the the cap space saved and the comp pick we'll get for letting him walk. And then your not shuffling players positions around like you have in your prediction as its generally a good Ideal to guys in the same spots they've excelled at in the past.

Also damn at letting both guards walk

As for your "Tackles are valued more than Guards in GB anyways" comment. It's not just GB. EVERY team values Tackles in this league over guards. Sitton was the best guard in the league for a good clip. How much do you think his LT or even RT equivalent would've made? Really throughout the league the guard position is the least valued position in football outside of FBs and Kicker/Punters.

GB has actually has favored the position more than most other teams by their willingness to pay top dollar at the position for not one but two players at the same time

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB lets a guard and Bahk walk they are going to get some really good compensation picks in 2018 and some salary relief.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB lets a guard and Bahk walk they are going to get some really good compensation picks in 2018 and some salary relief.

That's why I've been saying if Spriggs looks the part in camp and in practice this season it's almost a no brainer to me to keep the guy on the rookie contract versus the guy in line for a huge pay bump.

We've all pretty much figured 1 of the 2 guards are gone. No shocker and the front office obviously has a plan in place with Taylor for that vacated spot.

Add in the comp picks to go along with that salary relief I think it actually works out great for us letting two walk.

Depending what kind of offer Tretter gets on the market he could be gone also. And since I think there's enough tape on him that there will be a team out there that will pay him to be their starting Center I'm inclined to think that we'll be picking up 3 high comp picks the following year.

Pre draft the thought of a losing 3 of the 4 lineman was a worst case scenerio. Since the draft it's almost turned into pleasant turn of events. This is all dependent on the Spriggs pick turning out good though of course

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was speculated by one of the Packer writers, I can't remember if it was Ketchman, someone for JSOnline or Greenbaypressgazette.com, that Green Bay would still attempt to re-sign Bahk. I think they even went so far as to guarantee that drafting Spriggs didn't change our plans with Bahk.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was speculated by one of the Packer writers, I can't remember if it was Ketchman, someone for JSOnline or Greenbaypressgazette.com, that Green Bay would still attempt to re-sign Bahk. I think they even went so far as to guarantee that drafting Spriggs didn't change our plans with Bahk.

Well speculating and giving a guarantee are two completely different things. So which is it?lol

In any case I would expect the front office to leak that. Otherwise you risk putting all your eggs into the Spriggs basket and if he doesn't turn out and Bakhtiari has a great year you don't want to have any bad blood between you and him

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well speculating and giving a guarantee are two completely different things. So which is it?lol

In any case I would expect the front office to leak that. Otherwise you risk putting all your eggs into the Spriggs basket and if he doesn't turn out and Bakhtiari has a great year you don't want to have any bad blood between you and him

I want to say it was in a Vic chat, but I'm not totally sure, but the general point of it is that we'll still attempt to sign Bahk.

I can see us maybe making some lowball offseason offers now that we have a bit more leverage to do so. Something around what Bulaga got at 6-7M.

In any event if he commands 10M or so a year I agree the right call is to let him walk if Spriggs is ready. At that value he'll likely return a 3rd round comp pick.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
20% every year. It's Thompson's way. Constant refresh. No reason to worry about it, it will work itself out. We'll be fine and we won't have cap problems either. Some of the 30 year olds will be gone and they will replaced by young up and comers. It's all good. We'll still be winning games at our usual clip.
There is a 5 year cycle IMO. Im probabally mis-labeling it a rebuild, But peaks and valleys you could say. A team managed as well as GB, makes the rebuilds small and basicly you could say its just part of the game... But IMO there is a cycle that is the length of a rookie contract.

Now usually the stars are resigned before their deals are up.Next two years we have a lot of very good core players coming up for contracts... We will keep some, but we will most definately lose some. I think in the past, when the team reaches this point, TT presses reset, and lets some big buck guys go, and replaces them with 20 rookies. He usually did this when he got a extension... So the team will be peaking when his contract is up...

The alternative is to tread water.... And hope for a great year... Which at this point of Rodgers career, is wise IMO.

Sky King

Reaction score
Second and third contracts (that are affordable) may keep a few guys around longer than otherwise expected. Maybe not if health issues are a factor. Money saved on letting the current guards walk should be more than adequate to retain Bakhtiari instead -- a younger player at a more valued premium position. Last season reinforced the need for depth at Tackle. And Rodgers isn't getting any younger. He needs blindside protection even more than ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts