Post-draft cuts, and potential GB pick ups

D

Deleted member 6794

I would bet my life savings both guards are not back. Only 1 at most is going to be back, if that. Crazy thing is if everything else pans out, Clark shows he can be our plug upfront, Martinez/Barrington/McCray/Fackrell/Ryan/Clay show they can be our future LBs, Adams either shows up or another WR shines, Lacy is back to Beast mode and our DBs continue to excel...while the daunting task of starting THREE new OL next year is scary it may very well be the case (Spriggs being one obviously for sure). Talk about some money saved if we did this!

A lot of question marks for sure but I wouldn't be shocked if neither Sitton nor Lang are back with the Packers in 2017.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of question marks for sure but I wouldn't be shocked if neither Sitton nor Lang are back with the Packers in 2017.

Yup, truly we could head into the draft next year feasibly looking at holes in OL for sure, and needing depth/more at OLB and again at ILB if solution isn't present now. Otherwise I like how the rest of the spots are filling out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, truly we could head into the draft next year feasibly looking at holes in OL for sure, and needing depth/more at OLB and again at ILB if solution isn't present now. Otherwise I like how the rest of the spots are filling out.

Yeah, the outside linebacker position will most likely be in need of a significant upgrade next offseason. Hopefully the offensive line has been adequately addressed over the past few weeks.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely true.

Here's how easy it could have been:

Replace Perry with Fackrell/McCray/Elliott.

Let Crosby walk and sign Ross Martin as a UDFA.

Assuming 500K a year for Martin, this would have saved us about $7M this year off the cap, and another $3.6M next year (plus much more on the last 2 years of Crosby's deal ). Even if we had still done everything else the same.

It wouldn't have let us keep everyone, but it would have given us a lot more flexibility and much more of a business as usual offseason next year without a mass exodus, for the most part.

All this without, let's be honest, any real difference on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Assuming 500K a year for Martin, this would have saved us about $7M this year off the cap, and another $3.6M next year (plus much more on the last 2 years of Crosby's deal ). Even if we had still done everything else the same.

It wouldn't have let us keep everyone, but it would have given us a lot more flexibility and much more of a business as usual offseason next year without a mass exodus, for the most part.

Once again, spot-on. There's no reason for any Packers fan not to agree with this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wanna bet it won't happen, though? :)

Well it kind of already didn't. There's no getting out of the Crosby deal now without a big cap hit somewhere.

I hadn't even thought of the possibility of cutting Perry in August. It kind of makes sense if the other OLBS have a good camp and Perry doesn't. It would save over $3M.
But it would also make the $1.7M we would have already guaranteed him in signing and workout bonuses looks like a pointless waste, which it probably will be anyway, but for that reason he probably won't be cut.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think It's possible they could have gotten Crosby re-signed for less guaranteed money and possibly Perry for less as well. Really curious to see how Perry performs this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet my life savings both guards are not back. Only 1 at most is going to be back, if that. Crazy thing is if everything else pans out, Clark shows he can be our plug upfront, Martinez/Barrington/McCray/Fackrell/Ryan/Clay show they can be our future LBs, Adams either shows up or another WR shines, Lacy is back to Beast mode and our DBs continue to excel...while the daunting task of starting THREE new OL next year is scary it may very well be the case (Spriggs being one obviously for sure). Talk about some money saved if we did this!
I've felt this way for a couple of years about Sitton/Lang when I realized that both contracts expire at end of 16 season. I think that mgmt and staff are working towards the eventuality of replacing both but not necessarily simultaneously. We'll see how the young guards are progressing. I still think it's quite possible that we start this season with only one of the two.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really wouldn't have made a difference to me much if Crosby had come in at 3M a year and Perry at 4M. To me that's still overpaying for replacement value.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've felt this way for a couple of years about Sitton/Lang when I realized that both contracts expire at end of 16 season. I think that mgmt and staff are working towards the eventuality of replacing both but not necessarily simultaneously. We'll see how the young guards are progressing. I still think it's quite possible that we start this season with only one of the two.

Eeeek! I don't think we resign both or neither but to trade one away now...we'd better get AR's nod for such a move and we better be dang certain we have a solid replacement. Getting more than a 4th rounder I don't see, which is probably what we get in comp pick should we wait....although that pick would be 2018....where this one would be 2017 set for quicker reload maybe?

Gamble...yes...and one I don't think TT does. They hold more value for a 2016 run than not having them, but losing them. We shall see. Truly a scenario that makes sense and justifiable either way....but the one way is definitely the bigger risk....

D

Deleted member 6794

Eeeek! I don't think we resign both or neither but to trade one away now...we'd better get AR's nod for such a move and we better be dang certain we have a solid replacement. Getting more than a 4th rounder I don't see, which is probably what we get in comp pick should we wait....although that pick would be 2018....where this one would be 2017 set for quicker reload maybe?

Gamble...yes...and one I don't think TT does. They hold more value for a 2016 run than not having them, but losing them. We shall see. Truly a scenario that makes sense and justifiable either way....but the one way is definitely the bigger risk....

After not drafting an offensive lineman best suited to play guard trading either Sitton or Lang before this season woukd be insane.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet one or two of those guys get re-signed during the season at some point.

Also, this next draft is suppose to be the deepest RB draft in years. Honestly, unless Lacy explodes this season for 1500+ rushing yards and 15 rushing TD's, it wont be any sweat off my back if we lost him in FA.
If Lacy does that we will have to give him 10milly to get him to stay... One way or another we will have to give him the market rate for a very good young RB who was considered a beast 1 short year ago.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I feel we are going to put together the best team we can this year. Which means both stay. But next year there will be a major turn over IMO... I considered the trade idea, to cash in on their value before we lose them for nothing. But comp picks balance the scale in time. and i come to realize we are all in this year for a superbowl... No time to waiver now! Its time for battle!!! :)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And the rookie kicker misses a 40 yarder to win the championship game.................

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it kind of already didn't. There's no getting out of the Crosby deal now without a big cap hit somewhere.

I hadn't even thought of the possibility of cutting Perry in August. It kind of makes sense if the other OLBS have a good camp and Perry doesn't. It would save over $3M.
But it would also make the $1.7M we would have already guaranteed him in signing and workout bonuses looks like a pointless waste, which it probably will be anyway, but for that reason he probably won't be cut.
When Perry was in last year, this defense looked much much better IMO.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final result is the only important thing though and it's pretty obvious the team grossly overpaid for both of them.
The market rate for players is going way up lately. You see the washington TE got 10 mil a year?!?!? and the saints mediocre LT got 12mil......

I just remember back when Crosby was a rookie. He shanked them left and right. every big kick missed it seemed... It took him 10 years to get the gut in check. Earned all the experience that Ted/McCarthy/Rodgers earned. And you guys are willing to throw that away to save a couple mil? I dont agree. at all...... Kicking game is very important. We could get to the superbowl and the rookie could miss the only one we really needed all year!!! Im not banking on a rookie at this point of the game.

And Perry is a difference makes as a pass rusher. He opens up the other guys because he is a force. The stigma of him not being good, it clouding many peoples judgment IMO. When Perry is in, this defense looks much better IMO. well worth 5mil.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only one who rushed for 1500 yds and 15 YDs on a contract year was Peterson. Demarco Murray too, but it was transparrent that Dallas was either trying to break him (so they can justify not resigning him). Or get as much out of him before they let him go. Knowing he will want 10 mil. Eagles gave him, what? 8 mil a year and then fired him. lol

D

Deleted member 6794

If Lacy does that we will have to give him 10milly to get him to stay... One way or another we will have to give him the market rate for a very good young RB who was considered a beast 1 short year ago.

There's absolutely no way the Packers should feel comfortable paying Lacy anywhere near $10 million a season after what happened last year .

And the rookie kicker misses a 40 yarder to win the championship game.................

Like the game winner Crosby missed terribly vs. the Lions last season???

The market rate for players is going way up lately. You see the washington TE got 10 mil a year?!?!? and the saints mediocre LT got 12mil......

Armstead is an elite left tackle.

I just remember back when Crosby was a rookie. He shanked them left and right. every big kick missed it seemed... It took him 10 years to get the gut in check. Earned all the experience that Ted/McCarthy/Rodgers earned. And you guys are willing to throw that away to save a couple mil? I dont agree. at all...... Kicking game is very important. We could get to the superbowl and the rookie could miss the only one we really needed all year!!! Im not banking on a rookie at this point of the game.

Crosby isn't a clutch kicker, take a look at some of the posts in the thread about the Packers re- signing him for proof.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Perry is a difference makes as a pass rusher. He opens up the other guys because he is a force. The stigma of him not being good, it clouding many peoples judgment IMO. When Perry is in, this defense looks much better IMO. well worth 5mil.

While I think they did overpay for Perry I completely agree his perception is skewed by fans perception of him that developed early in his career. When healthy he's actually pretty good and does make an impact for us.

If you don't think he's ever healthy enough to warrent the contract that he got I get that and I'm inclined to agree. But when healthy he really is a very valuable player for us but many would still disagree and call for his departure simply on the basis that he hasn't been the pro bowler we all wanted when we drafted him in the first round all those years back and that is well............... (I'll let others fill in the blank)

D

Deleted member 6794

While I think they did overpay for Perry I completely agree his perception is skewed by fans perception of him that developed early in his career. When healthy he's actually pretty good and does make an impact for us.

If you don't think he's ever healthy enough to warrent the contract that he got I get that and I'm inclined to agree.

Perry played only 33.4% of the defensive snaps last season. While he performed really well in the playoffs I don't have any doubt the Packers overpaid for a rotational player, especially with Matthews moving outside again.

Members online

Latest posts