Possible NFL Playoff Expansion for 2020

Do you favor a 14 Team Playoff Format?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of giving any teams a bye week to start the playoffs. Already a big enough advantage playing at home. Now only 1 team per conference will get a bye? Meh...hate it. Might as well just water it down by adding one more team, then you have 8 teams from each conference in the playoffs. They all play in the first round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you are going to mess with the playoffs how about stop handing out home games to division winners NO MATTER what. Give a higher creedence to a better season with while guaranteeing a spot, NOT guaranteeing a home game. Now that is a way to revamp without overhauling and making it better.

Just wanted to point out the word that was key in my post everyone :) As expressed I'm for not messing, but to me this is the only playoff discussion that would have any kind of creedence whether you agree or disagree.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but records aren't built by playing everybody. They're built on divisional matchups and then your division being paired with others. It's all built into the schedule. Sometimes a team with a good record has to go on the road like the Seahawks and sometimes they are 2 games below .500 and get to host the defending Super Bowl champions.

IMO, it's not perfect because there will be no perfect, but it works pretty well and keeps historical rivalries meaningful which keeps interest in the games. It all starts with winning the division, if it's not important, then get rid of the divisions. I don't think that will be good for the game.

Perfect vs flawed is not a yes/no scenario. There can be various grades in between.

Division win should be a tie breaker imo. If two teams have same record, division winners get priority. Just winning a division with a inferior record should not be enough to move. Keeps importance of divisional rivalries plus makes the stakes bigger.

Another option is to give points for a win rather than just win/loss numbers.

Win vs Non-Division team at home - 3 points
Win vs Non-Division team at away - 4 points
Win vs Division team at home - 4 points
Win vs Division team at away - 5 points

or something like that give weightage to Division games.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Ironically a 7-10 winning their division, what’s going to be next 2 pro bowl games! And SB tickets going for 50k, and will the a** time show be more cheeky? We will see

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right after the ink dries it’s official
Mother ******... This is stupid. Why does apart of me feel like they did this in order to help Dallas make the playoffs?

If they do go through with this then they AT LEAST need to have 2 bye weeks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfect vs flawed is not a yes/no scenario. There can be various grades in between.

Division win should be a tie breaker imo. If two teams have same record, division winners get priority. Just winning a division with a inferior record should not be enough to move. Keeps importance of divisional rivalries plus makes the stakes bigger.

Another option is to give points for a win rather than just win/loss numbers.

Win vs Non-Division team at home - 3 points
Win vs Non-Division team at away - 4 points
Win vs Division team at home - 4 points
Win vs Division team at away - 5 points

or something like that give weightage to Division games.
why shouldn't it? it's worked this long? some divisions are tougher than others. Some divisions are paired with tougher divisions some years and others not. I see zero reason to shuffle the playoff seeding and take even more importance off division and regular season games. I don't see changing how teams are awarded home games as making anything better at all. So the Seahawks had to go on the road once, they got to be home once too when they didn't even have a winning record. Most years and most times, it works just as it's supposed to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree because the Titans were 9-7 and look what they did in the playoffs, and what we've also seen lately are 10-6 and some 9-7 teams who probably could make some waves in the playoffs if given a shot.

It also makes Weeks 16 and 17 matter permanently. Teams won't be able to rest as much because if they do, they likely let a division opponent in the race and risk the chance of them knocking them off later. It also means if there's only one bye, teams will fight that much harder to secure it. Also, with one more team guaranteed to get in, teams may not tank as much(or as early) if they think a 9-7 record could possibly sneak them in. If you're a fantasy owner, this is huge as well.
Good points. And it allows for teams who started out slow but are peaking post-Thanksgiving to get a shot. Your Titan example is a good one, as is the 2010 Packers, who squeaked in as a 6th seed at 10-6 and won it all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. And it allows for teams who started out slow but are peaking post-Thanksgiving to get a shot. Your Titan example is a good one, as is the 2010 Packers, who squeaked in as a 6th seed at 10-6 and won it all.
so take even more importance off the early regular season games? Give teams that weren't prepared to start the season or are maybe taking advantage of injured teams later in the year benefit more? I think right now is a good balance between making all the games matter and playoffs.

I don't see any reason to make the first month of the season any less important than the last and preseason already lasts until October the way it is.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? If it isn't broke don't fix it. That just means more chances for us to get knocked out should we make it. No thanks!

Assuming we make it as the #2 seed again - that is the only seed that would have to play an additional game with this new format.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 1972 Dolphins are behind this, they just want to make it even harder for another team to go undefeated. :coffee:

If this is happening, I would hope that they also consider expanding the rosters from 53 to 60. As well as extend the trade deadline another week.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing sounds stupid, and they get only 1 bye week as well.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Mother ******... This is stupid. Why does apart of me feel like they did this in order to help Dallas make the playoffs?

If they do go through with this then they AT LEAST need to have 2 bye weeks.
Sorry Do7 they just ratified it and now the money players will vote yes on it, I need 20cc of tequila now.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think winning the division should matter, it's the basis for the entire schedule. I think Division winners should always benefit over wildcard winners.
I agree. If the division winners don't get the home games (or get into the playoffs over teams with superior records), what's the point of even having divisions? Might as well just get rid of the divisions entirely, and just have two conferences of 16 teams each.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1972 Dolphins are behind this, they just want to make it even harder for another team to go undefeated. :coffee:

If this is happening, I would hope that they also consider expanding the rosters from 53 to 60. As well as extend the trade deadline another week.

I heard there were talks of expanding the roster to somewhere between 55-57, and the gameday rosters would shoot up to 48. No word on any progress with that yet. If they're adding more games, it only makes sense though.

The practice squad will be increased to 14 as both sides have agreed on that and they will also make more money.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I guess when the season starts we’ll see if any of this will be a plus for viewership, I still say dump the pro bowl, sorry I mean the snoozer bowl....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess when the season starts we’ll see if any of this will be a plus for viewership, I still say dump the pro bowl, sorry I mean the snoozer bowl....

The NBA seems to have finally hit on something in regards to their yearly All Star Game. For those who missed it, the new format was set up so that the 2 teams (Team Giannis and Team LeBron) were playing for a charity of their choice. The score was kept, but at the end of each of the first 3 quarters, whatever team won the Q, their charity won $100K and the next Q the score started back at 0-0. The 2 teams each won one of the first 2 Q's and then tied in the 3rd. So the 4th Q, became a "winner take all of the 3rd, 4th and total game money", which amounted to $300K for their charity.

What normally is kind of just a light hearted, very little defense played game, turned into a very competitive fun game to watch. Both teams really wanted to win for their respective charities. The 4th Q was fricking amazing to watch, everyone on the court became very competitive and played full out. It was like watching a game 7 of a playoff game.

Anyway, for the NFL, I doubt they will ever play full out, due to potential injuries and the cost of. But if they could devise some kinds of fun competitive competitions and with proceeds going to charities, I think they could actually do like the NBA and create a very fun event, that isn't just about individual talents and accolades.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, if they are going to change the format of the season, they may as well expand the regular season to 18 games, and only 2 pre-season, i don't like the odd number of games as it means some teams getting an extra home game which is usually an advantage. and each team, again IMO, should have equal home and away games, all teams get a bye week after games 6 & 12(or 7&13), do away with thursday night games, and make them on a saturday instead.

for playoffs, again don't like the odd number teams, so might as well expand to eight teams from each conference, division winners get home advantage and 1-4 seeds, and home advantage stays with best seeded teams, and start as;
seed 1 V seed 8
seed 2 V seed 7
seed 3 V seed 6
seed 4 V seed 5

edit) maybe add in a bye week after last reg season game so all teams get a weeks rest before playoffs

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not crazy about the idea. It increases the chances that an 8-8 or even 7-9 team makes the playoffs, and IMHO that shouldn’t happen. It’s like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, at least two with sub .500 records. Cheapens the product.

Well, the argument could also be made that a 10-6 or even 11-5 team that wouldn't otherwise make the playoffs because of the division winner rule might now be able to do so. So... There is that.

My problem though is I feel a 7-team format is going to throw off a bit of the current workings of the seeding and the rewards thereof. I mean, I would say I don't think our current format is perfect, but ... I think there's going to be a few cans of worms opened up here.

I just wish the CBA would have tackled more important issues like fixing OT and eliminating ties.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pokerbrat2000 both sides have agreed on a 55 man roster with 48 on the game day. Practice squad will be 12 this year and growing to 14 by 2022.

IMO, if they are going to change the format of the season, they may as well expand the regular season to 18 games, and only 2 pre-season, i don't like the odd number of games as it means some teams getting an extra home game which is usually an advantage. and each team, again IMO, should have equal home and away games, all teams get a bye week after games 6 & 12(or 7&13), do away with thursday night games, and make them on a saturday instead.

The NFL addressed the international game problem with the 17 game season. Now every team will have an international game, 8 home, and 8 away. Now no team has to give up a home game, and the international community can have a "full season" of football.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL addressed the international game problem with the 17 game season. Now every team will have an international game, 8 home, and 8 away. Now no team has to give up a home game, and the international community can have a "full season" of football.

I hope that the Packers "International Game" is in Madison or Milwaukee. Those folks need some NFL culture spread their way! :whistling:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Will the Packers play in London, Scotland, Germany, Saudi Arabia? Please no more games in Mexico, the field is is horrible..

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that a guess or has that been confirmed or proposed?
I like it better than other teams having an extra home game. But if the Packers can't travel to California, how are they going to do after a flight to New Delhi?