1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible NFL Playoff Expansion for 2020

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by Favre>Rodgers259, Feb 19, 2020.

Do you favor a 14 Team Playoff Format?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

I think I like it. Both the Rams and Steelers would've probably affected the playoffs in some way.

2. Do7

Do7 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Why? If it isn't broke don't fix it. That just means more chances for us to get knocked out should we make it. No thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I’m not crazy about the idea. It increases the chances that an 8-8 or even 7-9 team makes the playoffs, and IMHO that shouldn’t happen. It’s like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, at least two with sub .500 records. Cheapens the product.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I disagree because the Titans were 9-7 and look what they did in the playoffs, and what we've also seen lately are 10-6 and some 9-7 teams who probably could make some waves in the playoffs if given a shot.

It also makes Weeks 16 and 17 matter permanently. Teams won't be able to rest as much because if they do, they likely let a division opponent in the race and risk the chance of them knocking them off later. It also means if there's only one bye, teams will fight that much harder to secure it. Also, with one more team guaranteed to get in, teams may not tank as much(or as early) if they think a 9-7 record could possibly sneak them in. If you're a fantasy owner, this is huge as well.

5. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Well, a lot of teams could get hot and do well in the playoffs. The point for me is that it waters it down and makes the regular season just that much less meaningful. ala NBA Where does it stop? You make good points. I just like to see them do well all season long to get into the playoffs. Except the fantasy owner thing. But it sort of leans that way now. The game is starting to become for the fantasy people. Certainly the damn announcers lean that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    All you're doing is adding mediocrity to the postseason and diluting the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sky King

Sky King 158.3

Packer Fan Since:
    The owners want more games and more money. The players want less games and more money. The fans want more games that cost less money. TV wants more games, more fans, and more money. I’ll bet money that money wins.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  8. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The NFL with its CBA coming up is going to add a 17 game season, so as much as this sucks with more playoff teams I wouldn’t put it past the NFL, money talks...

9. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Besides which, they already want to add regular season games, which waters it down even more.

10. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So I guess the top teams which earned a bye week, all that will be eliminated, I wonder if the powers that be at the NFL are going to add more teams to the League, or is the XFL going to turn into expansion teams, more is not necessarily better..

11. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    They don't care, more games equals more money. Every playoff team they add, ever extra regular season game, just lessens the importance of the regular season or winning divisions. I like playoff football, I don't care to see more mediocre teams play them. I don't think they should change anything, but people will watch and that means money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So the new format will be:

- pre-season reduced to 3 games
    - 17 games per season
    - 14 playoff teams (7 per conference), with only 1 team per conference getting a bye
    - Also means 6 game wild card weekend (3 on sat and 3 on sun)

I don't like the increased playoff quota.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I am not a fan of the playoff increase....I feel like we have that perfect blend where it's sometimes too few...but rarely too many and usually just right.

14. Stanger37

Stanger37 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't understand how the NFL can say they are for players safety and then add a game and take away 2 byes. Granted, I didn't believe them they cared about concussions in the first place but this is just all about the money for a league that is already worth so much money.

I really don't like the idea of another team getting into the playoffs either. Much like someone already said, it increases the odds of a team with an 8-8 & 7-9 record getting in and they shouldn't be rewarded with a playoff appearance. I'd be interested to see some stats going back some years on what type of records would have gotten in.

The IDEA of more football sounds great, but if it aint broke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    IF you are going to mess with the playoffs how about stop handing out home games to division winners NO MATTER what. Give a higher creedence to a better season with while guaranteeing a spot, NOT guaranteeing a home game. Now that is a way to revamp without overhauling and making it better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Do7

Do7 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So this is official? This is going to happen next year?

17. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think winning the division should matter, it's the basis for the entire schedule. I think Division winners should always benefit over wildcard winners. Want the chance at home games? don't come in 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Or....be the second best team easily in the conference yet you have to play at a team's field that came in 4th or 5th in the wildcard...sorry has never set well with me.

19. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Didn't the Packers already do that last year?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    The 13-3 Packers who made it to the NFCCG? That's ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

I thought I read at some point if they went to 17 games it would include a extra bye week during the regular season???

22. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

You didn't see what I was doing there... It's ok I agree with you

23. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not sold on that. You have a 9-7 Eagles team winning the division when a 11-5 Seahawks team comes second. If you want best teams in playoffs it has to be by record.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Were you just referring to how they played against SF? My bad if I misunderstood.

25. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    but records aren't built by playing everybody. They're built on divisional matchups and then your division being paired with others. It's all built into the schedule. Sometimes a team with a good record has to go on the road like the Seahawks and sometimes they are 2 games below .500 and get to host the defending Super Bowl champions.

IMO, it's not perfect because there will be no perfect, but it works pretty well and keeps historical rivalries meaningful which keeps interest in the games. It all starts with winning the division, if it's not important, then get rid of the divisions. I don't think that will be good for the game.

• Agree Agree x 4