• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think I like it. Both the Rams and Steelers would've probably affected the playoffs in some way.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? If it isn't broke don't fix it. That just means more chances for us to get knocked out should we make it. No thanks!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think I like it. Both the Rams and Steelers would've probably affected the playoffs in some way.
I’m not crazy about the idea. It increases the chances that an 8-8 or even 7-9 team makes the playoffs, and IMHO that shouldn’t happen. It’s like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, at least two with sub .500 records. Cheapens the product.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not crazy about the idea. It increases the chances that an 8-8 or even 7-9 team makes the playoffs, and IMHO that shouldn’t happen. It’s like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, at least two with sub .500 records. Cheapens the product.

I disagree because the Titans were 9-7 and look what they did in the playoffs, and what we've also seen lately are 10-6 and some 9-7 teams who probably could make some waves in the playoffs if given a shot.

It also makes Weeks 16 and 17 matter permanently. Teams won't be able to rest as much because if they do, they likely let a division opponent in the race and risk the chance of them knocking them off later. It also means if there's only one bye, teams will fight that much harder to secure it. Also, with one more team guaranteed to get in, teams may not tank as much(or as early) if they think a 9-7 record could possibly sneak them in. If you're a fantasy owner, this is huge as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree because the Titans were 9-7 and look what they did in the playoffs, and what we've also seen lately are 10-6 and some 9-7 teams who probably could make some waves in the playoffs if given a shot.

It also makes Weeks 16 and 17 matter permanently. Teams won't be able to rest as much because if they do, they likely let a division opponent in the race and risk the chance of them knocking them off later. It also means if there's only one bye, teams will fight that much harder to secure it. Also, with one more team guaranteed to get in, teams may not tank as much(or as early) if they think a 9-7 record could possibly sneak them in. If you're a fantasy owner, this is huge as well.
Well, a lot of teams could get hot and do well in the playoffs. The point for me is that it waters it down and makes the regular season just that much less meaningful. ala NBA Where does it stop? You make good points. I just like to see them do well all season long to get into the playoffs. Except the fantasy owner thing. But it sort of leans that way now. The game is starting to become for the fantasy people. Certainly the damn announcers lean that way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All you're doing is adding mediocrity to the postseason and diluting the playoffs.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The NFL with its CBA coming up is going to add a 17 game season, so as much as this sucks with more playoff teams I wouldn’t put it past the NFL, money talks...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a lot of teams could get hot and do well in the playoffs. The point for me is that it waters it down and makes the regular season just that much less meaningful
Besides which, they already want to add regular season games, which waters it down even more.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
So I guess the top teams which earned a bye week, all that will be eliminated, I wonder if the powers that be at the NFL are going to add more teams to the League, or is the XFL going to turn into expansion teams, more is not necessarily better..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't care, more games equals more money. Every playoff team they add, ever extra regular season game, just lessens the importance of the regular season or winning divisions. I like playoff football, I don't care to see more mediocre teams play them. I don't think they should change anything, but people will watch and that means money.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the new format will be:

- pre-season reduced to 3 games
- 17 games per season
- 14 playoff teams (7 per conference), with only 1 team per conference getting a bye
- Also means 6 game wild card weekend (3 on sat and 3 on sun)

I don't like the increased playoff quota.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the playoff increase....I feel like we have that perfect blend where it's sometimes too few...but rarely too many and usually just right.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how the NFL can say they are for players safety and then add a game and take away 2 byes. Granted, I didn't believe them they cared about concussions in the first place but this is just all about the money for a league that is already worth so much money.

I really don't like the idea of another team getting into the playoffs either. Much like someone already said, it increases the odds of a team with an 8-8 & 7-9 record getting in and they shouldn't be rewarded with a playoff appearance. I'd be interested to see some stats going back some years on what type of records would have gotten in.

The IDEA of more football sounds great, but if it aint broke.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you are going to mess with the playoffs how about stop handing out home games to division winners NO MATTER what. Give a higher creedence to a better season with while guaranteeing a spot, NOT guaranteeing a home game. Now that is a way to revamp without overhauling and making it better.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this is official? This is going to happen next year?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you are going to mess with the playoffs how about stop handing out home games to division winners NO MATTER what. Give a higher creedence to a better season with while guaranteeing a spot, NOT guaranteeing a home game. Now that is a way to revamp without overhauling and making it better.
I think winning the division should matter, it's the basis for the entire schedule. I think Division winners should always benefit over wildcard winners. Want the chance at home games? don't come in 2nd.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think winning the division should matter, it's the basis for the entire schedule. I think Division winners should always benefit over wildcard winners. Want the chance at home games? don't come in 2nd.

Or....be the second best team easily in the conference yet you have to play at a team's field that came in 4th or 5th in the wildcard...sorry has never set well with me.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how the NFL can say they are for players safety and then add a game and take away 2 byes. Granted, I didn't believe them they cared about concussions in the first place but this is just all about the money for a league that is already worth so much money.

I really don't like the idea of another team getting into the playoffs either. Much like someone already said, it increases the odds of a team with an 8-8 & 7-9 record getting in and they shouldn't be rewarded with a playoff appearance. I'd be interested to see some stats going back some years on what type of records would have gotten in.

The IDEA of more football sounds great, but if it aint broke.
I thought I read at some point if they went to 17 games it would include a extra bye week during the regular season???

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sold on that. You have a 9-7 Eagles team winning the division when a 11-5 Seahawks team comes second. If you want best teams in playoffs it has to be by record.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on that. You have a 9-7 Eagles team winning the division when a 11-5 Seahawks team comes second. If you want best teams in playoffs it has to be by record.
but records aren't built by playing everybody. They're built on divisional matchups and then your division being paired with others. It's all built into the schedule. Sometimes a team with a good record has to go on the road like the Seahawks and sometimes they are 2 games below .500 and get to host the defending Super Bowl champions.

IMO, it's not perfect because there will be no perfect, but it works pretty well and keeps historical rivalries meaningful which keeps interest in the games. It all starts with winning the division, if it's not important, then get rid of the divisions. I don't think that will be good for the game.

Members online

Latest posts