Possibility of any of our vets retiring after this game?

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson. Chad Clifton. Mark Tauscher. Donald Driver. All great Packers players the last decade.

anyone seeing any of these guys retiring after the superbowl? Anyone have any information on any of these guys, and how long they want to play? I already know DD wants to play til 40.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will all be back except Tauscher. Wood won't leave with the way he's still playing. I don't see Driver leaving, maybe after next year though. And Cliffy came out and said he plans on returning next year. Say's he feels great.

OP
OP
Y

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the information. Tauscher was just signed to a pretty decent contract (what, like 6-7 mil a year?) We need to trade him or release him if possible.

Woodson... I think there's a small chance of him retiring.
I sure hope Driver does better next year, if he doesn't retire.

I'm glad Clifton is looking to return. He was a beast this year when healthy.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
How's Cliffy's knees? They ready for the big dance? 2 weeks rest has got to help him out a bunch.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tauscher is due 4.4 mil next season. No chance he is coming back. Other than him DD is the only one with a chance to get cut.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Tauscher is done for sure, he's just too banged up to continue and he wasn't very good this year when he was healthy. The rest I think will be back. Donald can still play but I think it's time for him to be relegated to the #3 role, Nelson is better now.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Tausher being done. I think he will take some time to return his body to normal from its NFL offensive lineman state and then he will coach.

I think Driver will ride off in the glory of the win. He has taken quite a beating over the middle all these years and it would be nice for him to leave in one piece. I think he has a great career in the media waiting for him too.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Driver could leave and Should leave if we win the Super Bowl, but I am not saying that I would be jumping with glory if he did. He has done so much, but I think that if he does, it is not going to have a huge affect on the offense.
The guy that I would worry most about leaving would be Woodson. You just can't imitate what that man can do. Our secondary is just to inexperienced, but damn, Shields looks like a man in the coming years, that could take that role.
I live in Ohio and couple miles a way from where Hawk went to school. A friend of mine graduated with him and said that Hawk wasn't happy being in Green Bay right now because of the 3-4 defense being ran. He is a man that fits the 4-3. Hopefully, if we win the Super Bowl, he will stay because the LB crew only gets better upon Barnett's return.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll miss Tausher, but glad Woodson, DD and Cliffy plan on staying around for perhaps another SB run next year! Dare we to dream. As for Hawk, don't fly away! :(

Number1joker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we should try and keep as many players as possible because next year we'll get Grant and Finley back and be even better!!!

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard we may rework Hawk's contract (he's due 10 million at the end of the season). He just wants more years, not necessarily to strike it rich. He knows he didnt play up to what he was paid in his last contract so he just wants some years and starter money.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver said last week on PFT Live that he would NOT be retiring this year, regardless of outcome. He said he feels like he still has a lot more in the tank.

Woodson said the same thing last week also. It's important to note both players got extensions this year as well.

I think Barnett may be gone. Bishop proved to be a better fit and stepped up huge this year. Barnett is 30, has been injury prone, isn't one of TT's guys, and this little debacle with the photo thing doesn't look like something a leader would do. He's owed $6 Mill next season. I can see a trade or a release.

Hawk is a bit more valuable to our defense, but will need to restructure his deal if he's going to stay with us.

Cullen Jenkins looks to be on the outs. No talks of a contract extension in the last year of his deal generally indicates something is up. That or we slap the franchise tag on him, provided it's still around.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great analysis and information, Spartachris.

Thanks!

Forgot to add- I think Tauscher is done, but that he's retained as an assistant coach or possibly a backup.

Clifton is a little more unclear. If memory serves, this is the last year of his deal, and I don't see him being signed to be anything more than a backup next year, though his play as of late may see him get another year.

Either way, this is going to be an interesting off-season. Free agency is set to open March 4th, with the new league year, but no CBA means no free agency.

OP
OP
Y

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Tauscher as an assistant coach, but as most players do, it'll be at least a few years before he comes a coach.

We just resigned Clifton to a 3 year contract before the season, so we have him. He's seemed to be fine to return and he's said that he feels good and is not thinking about retirement after this season.

We need to re-sign Peprah and/or Bigby, as well as draft just one wide receiver... That's if we lose Jones. As for Jenkins, if we do lose him by him signing a huge contract, we have plenty coming back from injury and we also have Johnny Jolly possibly looking for a return. Talked to a guy from Cheeseheadtv and he said that Jolly has been keeping out of trouble.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Charles Woodson. Chad Clifton. Mark Tauscher. Donald Driver. All great Packers players the last decade.

anyone seeing any of these guys retiring after the superbowl? Anyone have any information on any of these guys, and how long they want to play? I already know DD wants to play til 40.

Tauscher will retire. Clifton might retire. Woodson? Driver? No way in hell they retire.

Reaction score
Woodson I believe has one more year on his contract so I think he stays regardless of next week's outcome. Driver is relatively healthy so I think he will stay one more season but I wouldn't be shocked at him retiring.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts