Poll - what would it take for us to win it all in '08?

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
And the 08 Giants had....Eli Manning?

I'd say Strahan was the big leader of that Championship defense, and should've won the MVP for the game.
14 of the 17 total points were scored on 4th quarter Eli Manning drives. The defense was good all game, but the game was won in the 4th quarter.

Eli's the MVP. Co-MVP is the entire defense, or more specifically, the d-line. Tuck had a better game than Strahan (both played great).

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad: see my edit. :)

I thought Eli barely squeaked out that last drive, and Samuel should've iced the game with a sideline INT, but he let it bounce off his hands.

I just think that if not for that insanity by NYG's d-line all game long, including the 4th quarter, those two scoring drives mean nothing, and Eli loses with a 2:1 TD:Int ratio, which is just kinda average to me.

All year, Brady was just setting up for a picnic behind that O-line. The Giants did what 18 other efforts failed to do.

I know I'm off-topic, but it bugs me when stellar performances get ignored by major media for the sake of a crybaby, play-where-I-wanna, self-anointing, "name" guy.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
evad: see my edit. :)

I thought Eli barely squeaked out that last drive, and Samuel should've iced the game with a sideline INT, but he let it bounce off his hands.

I just think that if not for that insanity by NYG's d-line all game long, including the 4th quarter, those two scoring drives mean nothing, and Eli loses with a 2:1 TD:Int ratio, which is just kinda average to me.

All year, Brady was just setting up for a picnic behind that O-line. The Giants did what 18 other efforts failed to do.

I know I'm off-topic, but it bugs me when stellar performances get ignored by major media for the sake of a crybaby, play-where-I-wanna, self-anointing, "name" guy.
A few things:

First, the defenses performances didn't get ignored by the media. There were basically two story lines for the Giants in the game. One being their outstanding defensive performance, bolstered by the great play up front. Two, being their two fourth quarter scoring drives, the second of which happened in the final two and a half minutes.

Also, I don't think it's fair to call Manning a crybaby or self-anointing. Sure, he has this lethargic stink-eye look he makes after a bad play, but it can hardly be described as cry-baby. It's more, "Does he really care what's going on?" than it is "he's throwing a fit." He's almost TOO relaxed, and that's what put him under scrutiny with the media this year. Hell, they lead the league in delay of game penalties. If anything he's not excitable at all (I guess it worked, though). As for the play-where-I-wanna business, I guess I've just moved on from that. A lot of it was pressure from grandpa Manning. Besides, most athletes have done far crappier things off the field than him. I may sound like a Eli Manning nut-hugger, but I've always liked the guy, his calm demeanor, and his anti-Peyton-ness.

As far as the questionable throws in the fourth quarter, yeah, I'll agree there were some. However, the pass that sailed threw Asanta Samuel's hands was an incorrect route run by Tyree.

And finally (this is gettin' long) the defense played great but no individual defender probably did enough to warrant MVP. Justin Tuck had a pair of sacks and forced a fumble, Strahan was solid all game, Osi brought some pressure. With QBs it's just easier to gauge their success, and Eli came up with some huge plays when it mattered most.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all that needs to happen is for Favre to retire and Rodgers to lead us to the SB Neighborhood.

<<<walking away slapping self in forehead>>>>>>>

:kickcan: :wall:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I don't think it's fair to call Manning a crybaby or self-anointing. Sure, he has this lethargic stink-eye look he makes after a bad play, but it can hardly be described as cry-baby. It's more, "Does he really care what's going on?" than it is "he's throwing a fit." He's almost TOO relaxed, and that's what put him under scrutiny with the media this year. Hell, they lead the league in delay of game penalties. If anything he's not excitable at all (I guess it worked, though). As for the play-where-I-wanna business, I guess I've just moved on from that. A lot of it was pressure from grandpa Manning. Besides, most athletes have done far crappier things off the field than him. I may sound like a Eli Manning nut-hugger, but I've always liked the guy, his calm demeanor, and his anti-Peyton-ness.

I always hated Elway for his draft day fussiness.

And I will always hate Eli for the same reason. It's completely disrespectful to the guys who break their backs just to get drafted, then some kid thinks he can bend the rules cause of his name or cause he's had all of 3 or 4 years playing well in college.

Reggie Bush had the same attitude with his appeal to the NFL to wear #5 before he had played an NFL snap. I don't really like that move, either.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I always hated Elway for his draft day fussiness.

And I will always hate Eli for the same reason. It's completely disrespectful to the guys who break their backs just to get drafted, then some kid thinks he can bend the rules cause of his name or cause he's had all of 3 or 4 years playing well in college.

Reggie Bush had the same attitude with his appeal to the NFL to wear #5 before he had played an NFL snap. I don't really like that move, either.

I hate Elway for other reasons. He threatened to drop out of the NFL if he didn't go to another team - it was the Colts who originally drafted him.

Then he was an arrogant jerk throughout his playing days. Throughout the 80s, he was my least favorite player.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts