Poll - what would it take for us to win it all in '08?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all agree that we're close. We were a field goal from going to the SB. I sincerely believe we are the 3rd best team in the NFL, after the Giants and NE. So, what would it take to win the big one?

Will it be a Free Agent acquisition on Offense? If so, where? Randy Moss? Jeremy Shockey? Michael Turner (the thought of having Grant/Turner does sound appealing)? A Monster Guard?

Or is the thing that's holding us back on Defense? Lance Briggs? Would we win the Super Bowl with Lance Briggs? Someone else?

Or do you think it's a scheme change? I personally think we should throw in a blitz when nobody expects it if our front four cannot generate enough pressure. If the opposing QB gets hit by Nick Barnett or Atari Bigby, he's going to remember it. Or am I wrong and is the ZBS holding us back?

Or, are we already there? We might already have all the players and the thing that's holding us back is they need one more year together. One more year of growing. It's simply a maturity thing. We already have the talent. Spending money on Free Agency would be a waste and we need to reward the ones who produce.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many different things need to happen to win the SB. There are so many different variables. And one of the biggest is luck IMO. You just have to peek at the right time. There really is no fromula to winning the SB. The Patriots scored more points in the regular season than any other team in the history of the NFL, and they play one bad game, and they're done.

In 2005, the Steelers were sitting at 7-5, then they win their last 4 games, win 3 road playoff games, and then win the SB as a 6 seed. The year before they were 15-1 and didn't even make it to the SB.

It truly is a crap shoot once you get to the playoffs. So I think the question should be, what do we need to do to get to the playoffs in '08?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre can't be blowing his nose.

As long as he's not blowing his nose, we'll go all the way.

So we'll need a lot of a Tylenol, Dimetapp, Robitussin, DayQuil... whatever it takes!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All we have to do is beat the AFC representative in the SB to win it all in '08...ok, smarta$$ aside, I think we need to get Collins to step up or replace him. I'd like to see a really good CB brought in and let Woodson move to safety myself. (Asante Samuel maybe?)

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has the youth to be good, but I don't think we have the time to wait. Favre, Driver,Clifton, Tauscher, KGB, Woodson, Harris are getting up there in years. GB is going to have some player turn over coming from age and will have a hard time keeping up with just developing new young players.

We are in position to be in playoff contention for the future as is. But to jump to the next level we need FAs. OG would solidify the run game, a starter level CB that can split time with Woodson and Harris and also give us 3 starters to cover 3 wides and be the future replacement for one of them. Or a DE or LB. Either need to improve the pass rush to take pressure off the CB or improve coverage to give the DLine more rush time.

The defensive scheme can be a little more aggresive but I like the base package.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has the youth to be good, but I don't think we have the time to wait. Favre, Driver,Clifton, Tauscher, KGB, Woodson, Harris are getting up there in years. GB is going to have some player turn over coming from age and will have a hard time keeping up with just developing new young players.

We are in position to be in playoff contention for the future as is. But to jump to the next level we need FAs. OG would solidify the run game, a starter level CB that can split time with Woodson and Harris and also give us 3 starters to cover 3 wides and be the future replacement for one of them. Or a DE or LB. Either need to improve the pass rush to take pressure off the CB or improve coverage to give the DLine more rush time.

The defensive scheme can be a little more aggresive but I like the base package.

Nice post..I agree

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to go with a monster D player. Briggs maybe. Who is coming up in the draft that can make a big impact on that side of the ball?

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went Big D FA but I do think we need to keep drafting strong and hope for a standout like James Jones and Greg were in training camp. I do not mean necessarily in the WR position, but you get what I mean.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will NOT win the superbowl with this team. They need upgrades on OL, a better, more consistent pass rush from the DL. That means another DLineman, and we need a more productive Defensive backfield.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shocker, a MONSTER FA pickup is winning. The more things change(Conference game), the more things stay the same.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep building through the draft. The only immediate needs are CB, OG and DE. Guard won't come through free agency since Thomson doesn't believe in spending big money on them (which is good IMO, since chemistry along the line is more important than plugging in high priced players), and we only need a defensive end to spell Kampman a bit, so its not a position where we need to get into a free agent bidding war. A young corner would help too, but Thomson probably has faith in our current youngsters, just like he stuck it out with Collins and Bigby when we wanted a safety drafted high last year. It'll be another year of BPA, and that suits me fine since depth is needed at all position except WR, QB, and DT.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn on this issue.

I see a veteran team like NE pay a lot for guys to send them over the top and then fall short.

Then I see a team like NY with a mix and youth and veterans win it all. (DUE TO 90% TO COACHING IMO!)

Don't get me wrong, there is a part of me that cream his pants to see the Packers sign Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, and or Randy Moss come to a team with a lot of key guys in the twilight of their careers (Favre, Driver, Clifton, KGB, Tauscher, Harris).

Then my libido slows down, and I think about what has gotten GB so close to the Superbowl.

1. Drafting well.
2. Keeping key guys.
3. Developing from within.
4. Signing under-the-radar not over-hyped FA's.

I don't know the best path for GB.

1. Go for it All and spend your money on big names.

2. Stick with what we've got going.

I think the answer lies somewhere between 1. and 2.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the players that were not on the 95' team but were picked up for 96'

Eugene Robinson
Desmond Howard
Santana Dotson
Don Beebe
Andre Rison (partial season)

Doesn't include draft picks. FA can get this team over the hump.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cb, obviously, is a need. There are several good ones in the draft available. So we go that way for CB. We go LB in FA. Briggs, Dansby are available. TT won't pay Faneca's price so we must draft G and OT. Use the draft also for TE.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, I am going to make a ridiculous and bold prediction.

I predict TT will see that our base structure is extremely sound and will be far more involved in FA than we all expect/have come to be used to.

I know that this has a slim chance of happening, but I am going to throw that out there.

I predict that this was TT's plan. To get strength through the draft to provide a strong base, and once the base was set, push us over the edge through free agency.

I don't think this will happen/is happening but I can hope.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Opinion. Take the best and leave the rest.

What the Packers need is already within. It is not a rookie. It is not a F/A.

I am not worried about next years offense. Not worried about it if Brett is there, or if Aaron is the starter. I have confidence in them both.

I think what this team needs to take it to the next level is this......

It is for someone on this Defense, one player, to step up and be a leader. Lead by example, and take the "D" to a new level by being the single most inspirational leader by example on and off the field of play.

I think, now with his NFL experience and growth. I think that with his work ethic, and his ability. A.J. Hawk can take it to that level with the right coaching and off season.

The Packers 2007-2008 Defense did not have that one leader that stood out. That is something that every Championship Team Has.

R.P.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I predict TT will see that our base structure is extremely sound and will be far more involved in FA than we all expect/have come to be used to.

I know that this has a slim chance of happening, but I am going to throw that out there.

I predict that this was TT's plan. To get strength through the draft to provide a strong base, and once the base was set, push us over the edge through free agency.

I feel the EXACT same way

but unlike you I think he will do it!

Now, if he doesnt, I have the right to say, he sucks he should be fired and all that other crap right?

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

I feel the EXACT same way

but unlike you I think he will do it!

Now, if he doesnt, I have the right to say, he sucks he should be fired and all that other crap right?

If you didn't this wouldn't be packerforum.com haha.
I

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would incorporate some blitz schemes. Our front 4 wears down later in the season and it would help our CB's since we jam at the line. I would also love to see someone like Briggs in Popinga's spot and Rouse in Collins spot on defense. But thats just a dream.

On offense, maybe get some more OL help and do a decent rotation. And i personally believe we need a heavy/big 3rd and short back. Some back that is big and can run over players.

Other than that, the only thing i see stopping us is old man winter. If we dont stay healthy enough to practice outside during the later months, we could be in for some trouble.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would incorporate some blitz schemes. Our front 4 wears down later in the season and it would help our CB's since we jam at the line. I would also love to see someone like Briggs in Popinga's spot and Rouse in Collins spot on defense. But thats just a dream.

On offense, maybe get some more OL help and do a decent rotation. And i personally believe we need a heavy/big 3rd and short back. Some back that is big and can run over players.

Other than that, the only thing i see stopping us is old man winter. If we dont stay healthy enough to practice outside during the later months, we could be in for some trouble.
I agree.
We need to find some way to get some pressure on QB's. Not getting there killed us last season. If it means more blitzes, then they need to do it.

Members online

Latest posts