PLAYOFFS???

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the Packers still make the playoffs? The best we can do is 11-5. The worst we can do is 4-12. Though there is still a lot of football to play, the wild card race is heating up. The favorites in each NFC division are the Bears, Giants, Saints, and Seahawks. The wild card spots are determined by win-loss records of the remaining teams. Dallas, Philly, and Atlanta are all 5-4. After that the Packers, Vikings, Rams, and 49ers are 4-5. The Panthers are 4-4 and play the Bucs on MNF.

These teams are the ones we need to root against. Out of all these teams, I think Carolina and Philly are the best two teams. The Packers remaing schedule looks like this: Patriots, @Seattle, Jets, @49ers, Detroit, Minnesota, @Bears. The Packers should win 4 of those games (Jets,Minn,DET,49ers). The bears might be resting their starters so GB might win that game. That would put us at 9-7. That might be enough to get into the final wild card.

Is this all likely? No. Possible? Yes. I have heard many people saying playoff or bust for this year. I would never trade a winning mentality for a higher draft pick. Even if GB loses in the first round of the playoffs, the younger guys will get a taste of what the post season is like. I'll take that over Adrian Peterson any day of the week.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't count ANY game left as a certified win considering how the Pack has melted down this season in winnable games.

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure they might not beat the lions (ugh) .... but they also could beat the Seahwks or Pats. thats why u play the game

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure they might not beat the lions (ugh) .... but they also could beat the Seahwks or Pats. thats why u play the game

If they don't turn the ball over then they can beat ANYONE in this league. That doesn't mean 0 TO's mean an automatic win of course, but it will certainly keep them in any game. I think they will sweep the lions and vikes, though.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFC, it is pretty much up for grabs. NO, even though they lost, CHI, NYG are all pretty solid. Seattle is still waiting for Hasselbeck and Alexander, the latter might lag a little from injury. That said there are about 7 seven teams looking to the playoffs, none of them consistent. The Pack have a chance and the Vikings game showed they can beat teams with than just one win.

I am hoping.

EDIT: I agree with your assessment of the Eagles and Panthers being the most dangerous.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally id say "NO WAY!" to playoffs this year, but the NFC is SO BAD, and Gb is improving weekly, so who knows.

I still say 8-8 and no playoffs, but a lot of things to look forward to next year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC Standings:

1. Chicago Bears 8-1
2. N.Y. Giants 6-3
3. New Orleans Saints 6-3
4. Seattle Seahawks 6-3
5. Atlanta Falcons 5-4
6. Dallas Cowboys 5-4
7. Philadelphia Eagles 5-4
8. Carolina Panthers 4-4
9. Green Bay Packers 4-5

Can they make the playoffs? Yes they can and here is what could happen. The Bears are going to finish with the best record in the NFC and have home field throughout the playoffs. Most likely that will happen. Once Seattle gets healthy they should begin to pull away from the Rams and the rest of the pack. Now you examine the rest. The Saints, Falcons, and Panthers all play tough teams and all play each other. They are all going to beat up on each other and the winner of that division will be no better than 11-5. Maybe 10-6. 2nd place could have 9 wins and 3rd 8. The Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles are all going to do the same. They will beat up on each other and your likely going to see an 11 or 10 wins and one probably with 9 wins.

Now if the question was "Is Green Bay better than those teams?"

No there not but that's not the question. The Question is "Can Green Bay make the playoffs"

The answer is yes. While all those teams beat up on each other, Green Bay has a manageable schedule. They need to upset either the Patriots or the Seahawks in the next 2 weeks. That brings them to 5-6. From there they have 3 winnable games. Lions, Jets, and 49ers. Again take 2 of 3 which is very possible and you get to 7-7. After that you play the Vikings and Bears. The Vikings is a winnable game and a must win. Win that your 8-7. Then the Bears is a toss up. I say this because Chicago after winning tonight has a nice lead on the Giants for 1st in the NFC. They may rest their players and GB might be playing backups. If so GB wins and their 9-7. That's the best I see the Pack doing but it's certainly possible. At 9-7 it will come down to tiebreakers and that is impossible to predict right now. If I had to guess, GB would need the tiebreaker over Carolina and Dallas.

I still see the Pack at 6 or 7 wins realistically but they certainly have the possibility to make the playoffs as the #6 seed this year based not on them being overall better than all the other NFC teams but the Packers have the most favorable schedule.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it unlikely, but I suppose we have as much of a chance as all those other teams who will be fighting for a wildcard.

I agree with the other poster who said that this week is the test. If the Pack can beat the Patriots, I'll be a believer in GB's playoff potential, and then there's no telling what will happen. A little bit of luck and a lot more butt-kicking will be just what the doctor ordered to get there.

But the Pats are going to be one tough customer, I believe. So we'll see.

Great game today.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible.

However, Atlanta, and Dallas have a one game lead on the Packers. Philadelphia has a two game lead (with their victory over Green Bay earlier in the season). Carolina should win tomorrow night.

I think it's a long shot because they're going to need alot of help, but you never know.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's aomething that has never been said.

Let's take them one at a time. Just win, take care of your own business, then come week 16 and the Bears let's see where we're at.

Miami beat KC
Cleveland Beat Atlanta
Jets beat New England

You never know what is going to happen from week to week, so let's just take care of our own business and hope the upsets go our way each week in the other games.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then the Bears is a toss up. I say this because Chicago after winning tonight has a nice lead on the Giants for 1st in the NFC. They may rest their players and GB might be playing backups.

I don't think this is a reasonable argument. Even if the Bears are 14-1 going into the final game, I don't believe they will rest their starters for the playoffs. There's just no way that team will want to roll over to let the Packers beat them in Chicago before the playoffs start. IMO, that's a recipe for disaster.

That being said, their gameplan may end up being a little more vanilla so they don't show anything new, which may help us in the game. But I cannot see Lovie rolling over in a home game against the Packers. Remember that his first goal as a new coach for the bears was to beat the Packers.

This does not mean that we don't have a chance to win. I think the last few weeks have shown that getting pressure on Grosman creates TOs. Our improving LB play should really help to contain their running game, which puts more pressure on Grosman. We're getting a better rush upfront from Kampman, Jenkins, Williams and KGB. On top of that, our offense is protecting the ball better and the OL has been gelling.

We have a legit shot at the playoffs, but assuming Chicago will play dead in the last game is wrong IMO.

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible.

However, Atlanta, and Dallas have a one game lead on the Packers. Philadelphia has a two game lead (with their victory over Green Bay earlier in the season). Carolina should win tomorrow night.

I think it's a long shot because they're going to need alot of help, but you never know.

We should see this help in the form of scheduling. Atlanta, Dallas, and Philly, all have really tough remaining schedules. Atlanta really shot themselves in the foot losing to the Browns. That might have been the easeist game they had left. They play consecutive road games at Washington and Tampa which are winnable but the rest of their schedule is brutal.

If any one of these teams emerge better than 9-7 they deserve a playoff berth. They will have certainly earned it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Then the Bears is a toss up. I say this because Chicago after winning tonight has a nice lead on the Giants for 1st in the NFC. They may rest their players and GB might be playing backups.

I don't think this is a reasonable argument. Even if the Bears are 14-1 going into the final game, I don't believe they will rest their starters for the playoffs. There's just no way that team will want to roll over to let the Packers beat them in Chicago before the playoffs start. IMO, that's a recipe for disaster.

That being said, their gameplan may end up being a little more vanilla so they don't show anything new, which may help us in the game. But I cannot see Lovie rolling over in a home game against the Packers. Remember that his first goal as a new coach for the bears was to beat the Packers.

This does not mean that we don't have a chance to win. I think the last few weeks have shown that getting pressure on Grosman creates TOs. Our improving LB play should really help to contain their running game, which puts more pressure on Grosman. We're getting a better rush upfront from Kampman, Jenkins, Williams and KGB. On top of that, our offense is protecting the ball better and the OL has been gelling.

We have a legit shot at the playoffs, but assuming Chicago will play dead in the last game is wrong IMO.

GO PACK GO!!!

Chicago rested thier starters against the Vikings last year when they had everything clinched and could not get homefield advantage. They would do the same again in all likely hood. The last thing Chicago needs is something happening to Grossman the last game of the season just so you can beat the Packers. If they rested them last year for the Vikings, they will rest them again this year once they clinch especially the last game of the year. At most they play their guys a half but that's IF they have everything clinched as well and I honestly think they will.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

GO PACK GO!!!

EVERY team rest their starters -- no matter who the opponent is -- after tehy have clinched home field. The playoffs and SB are more important to Lovie than beating the Packers.

That being said, everyone is conceding that the Bears would win that game straight up against GB. Grossman is capable of some pretty bad games (see Arizona and Miami) so the Pack "could" pull off the upset if they can pressure

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not basing playoffs on the how good the packers are. im basing it on how bad the nfc is. you dont have to be a top 16 team to make the playoffs. you just have to be top 8 in your conference. the nfc is pathetic. everyone thinks the best teams are the giants and bears. the bears are great. the giants aren't. thats one good team and seven mediocre teams. how could you say we dont have a shot. the 49ers are in thick of it at 5-5. THE 49ERS!!! the falcons are fading. the saints are fading. eagles are in trouble. redskins are screwed. the wildcard teams right now are the cowboys and 49ers (alex smith and tony romo). i would not say these teams are that much better than the packers. im sick of the negativity. lambeau is not a place for crying.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sort of agree, millertime, and every team should be shootiing for it no matter what happens. But I also think it's a bit frustrating to be looking at any "backdoor" ways into the playoffs when you know the team has serious issues, whether (and if/when) they get there at all. Just because everyone else is bad.. well, I'm sure that's what everyone else is saying about the Pack right now! And they'd be right, if you trust the maxim that "you're only as good as your last game."

I hope for a turnaround and I'll never stop cheering!

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not basing playoffs on the how good the packers are. im basing it on how bad the nfc is. you dont have to be a top 16 team to make the playoffs. you just have to be top 8 in your conference. the nfc is pathetic. everyone thinks the best teams are the giants and bears. the bears are great. the giants aren't. thats one good team and seven mediocre teams. how could you say we dont have a shot. the 49ers are in thick of it at 5-5. THE 49ERS!!! the falcons are fading. the saints are fading. eagles are in trouble. redskins are screwed. the wildcard teams right now are the cowboys and 49ers (alex smith and tony romo). i would not say these teams are that much better than the packers. im sick of the negativity. lambeau is not a place for crying.

actually as it stands now, are the Cowboys and Saints both at 6-4.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sun 9/10 Chicago L 0-26
Sun 9/17 New Orleans L 27-34
Sun 9/24 at Detroit W 31-24
Mon 10/2 at Philadelphia L 9-31
Sun 10/8 St. Louis L 20-23
bye
Sun 10/22 at Miami W 34-24
Sun 10/29 Arizona W 31-14
Sun 11/5 at Buffalo L 10-24
Sun 11/12 at Minnesota W 23-17
Sun 11/19 New England L 0-35
Mon 11/27 at Seattle 8:30 pm <- mabey
Sun 12/3 NY Jets 1:00 pm <- yes
Sun 12/10 at San Francisco 4:05 pm <- yes
Sun 12/17 Detroit 1:00 pm <- yes
Thu 12/21 Minnesota 8:00 pm <- yes
Sun 12/31 at Chicago 1:00 pm <- mabey

this puts us at 8-8

if we can get a win agianst seattle or chicago then hell yes
also if we did not screw up one of the games at the start of the season then we would have had a better go at it

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
especially now considering the Giants will be 6-4. So right now, in the NFC ,you've got Chicago at 9-1 and a whole bunch of teams from 6-4 to 4-6. It's a huge crapshoot.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good we're somewhat in it but as long as people don't feel like it's a bum season if we finish 1 game out. That's the one problem with having some early success is now if we can't beat the best teams people feel we're taking a step back. I still don't think we can play with about 5 teams in this league but if we beat the teams we can and go 8-8 I think that's great and sets us up well for next year

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Sun 9/10 Chicago L 0-26
Sun 9/17 New Orleans L 27-34
Sun 9/24 at Detroit W 31-24
Mon 10/2 at Philadelphia L 9-31
Sun 10/8 St. Louis L 20-23
bye
Sun 10/22 at Miami W 34-24
Sun 10/29 Arizona W 31-14
Sun 11/5 at Buffalo L 10-24
Sun 11/12 at Minnesota W 23-17
Sun 11/19 New England L 0-35
Mon 11/27 at Seattle 8:30 pm <- mabey
Sun 12/3 NY Jets 1:00 pm <- yes
Sun 12/10 at San Francisco 4:05 pm <- yes
Sun 12/17 Detroit 1:00 pm <- yes
Thu 12/21 Minnesota 8:00 pm <- yes
Sun 12/31 at Chicago 1:00 pm <- mabey

this puts us at 8-8

if we can get a win agianst seattle or chicago then hell yes
also if we did not screw up one of the games at the start of the season then we would have had a better go at it

i say if we win our next 2 games then we will have a chance at the playoffs.