Playoff Clarification and Updated Picture

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As it stands after Week 15, we are currently 8th in the NFC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668613

To make the playoffs we need to win out and have the Giants and the Falcons lose 1 more game.

Tie-Breaking Procedure for Wild-Card (Three or more teams):
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

The Packers would be 5-1 in the division if they win out. New York and Atlanta both have 2 losses in division play. So if we win out, the tie-breaker goes to us.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for posting the link. we just have to win and hope the other teams lose.

but i dont think we will make it to the playoffs.

i think we will lose our last game.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, i believe if the Eagles lose their last 2 games and we would be ahead of them as well if we win out. If this happens, we would only need one of the two teams (Giants/Falcons) to lose 1 game.

Oops i forgot we lost head 2 head vs the Eagles. They would own the tiebreaker then right?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
wow ... way to take my idea an ruin it for me afterwards... JERK!! YOU BIG JERKAZOID!!

I really like that layout a lot better than mine. it's so perrrrrty :) and saves me ten mins of painful thinking tomorrow after work :p

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't we need St. Louis to lose one also, since they beat us and would have the better head to head?

Lol. The rams couldnt possibly win 2 in a row. Get real son.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Don't we need St. Louis to lose one also, since they beat us and would have the better head to head?

since theres g onna bemore than one other team at 8 8 head to head wont matter, it goes to conference record

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
subin said:

since theres g onna bemore than one other team at 8 8 head to head wont matter, it goes to conference record

Nice, so if the eagles lose 2 in a row and even if the rams win 2 in a row, if we take care of business we would have the better conf. record. We have a good shot at this thing. I'd say if we can beat minnesota, we are the favorites to make that last wildcard spot.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe the odds on us getting this done are just 2-1 against us ( this is just from a math standpoint however, with all teams being equal in the equation). Wow !!!

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the tie-breaker for NFC wild-card for three or more teams. The tie-breaker at the start of this thread was for divisional tie-breakers, not conference. Strenth of victory will come in to play with a tie with the giants and falcons, and the giants win that tiebreaker by far.
Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the tie-breaker for NFC wild-card for three or more teams. The tie-breaker at the start of this thread was for divisional tie-breakers, not conference. Strenth of victory will come in to play with a tie with the giants and falcons, and the giants win that tiebreaker by far.
Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

strength of victory is #5 on the list. Conference and divisional records will come into play.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
divisional record will never come into play with a three way tie between the packers, falcons, and giants. The first tie-breaker is to make it only one team per division, and all those teams are already from all separate divisions. next is head-2-head sweep, which is not possible because the packers haven't played them. next is conference record, which eliminates atlanta, and leaves the giants and packers tied, so it reverts back to the 2-club wild car tie-breaker. first is head to head which isn't possible. next is conference record, which is tied, next is common games, but they don't have the minimum number of 4 games, so it is not possible to use. next is strength of victory which the giants own over the packers. Packers can't win the tie-breaker over the giants. they need them to lose out.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
divisional record will never come into play with a three way tie between the packers, falcons, and giants. The first tie-breaker is to make it only one team per division, and all those teams are already from all separate divisions. next is head-2-head sweep, which is not possible because the packers haven't played them. next is conference record, which eliminates atlanta, and leaves the giants and packers tied, so it reverts back to the 2-club wild car tie-breaker. first is head to head which isn't possible. next is conference record, which is tied, next is common games, but they don't have the minimum number of 4 games, so it is not possible to use. next is strength of victory which the giants own over the packers. Packers can't win the tie-breaker over the giants. they need them to lose out.

Ouch, I guess you can change those above odds from 2-1 to 4-1 against us !!!

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings85 said:

Yikes. I hope you are wrong. Not to doubt your knowledge but i hope you are wrong. Are you 100 % sure about this because if you are, we are in some trouble. I think they will lose to the Saints next week but I doubt the Giants will lose to the Redskins in a must win game in week 17.

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Jennings85 said:

Yikes. I hope you are wrong. Not to doubt your knowledge but i hope you are wrong. Are you 100 % sure about this because if you are, we are in some trouble. I think they will lose to the Saints next week but I doubt the Giants will lose to the Redskins in a must win game in week 17.

Divisional games on the road are usually pretty tough. If Washington can play like they did today against New Orleans, they sure as hell can beat the Giants.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just basically stating the tie-breaker rules given on all the sports sites. I'm no expert, but again that's what it says. So, as long as the Pack beats the vikes on thursday, it is almost guarenteed that they will be alive heading into the final week of the regular season because the giants will not beat the saints(i'd be shocked if they did)-i also agree it will be a tough game for the giants @ Redskins on saturday of the final week because that QB cambell is really playing pretty good and it is on the road against a divisional opponent that would love to kill the playoff hopes of the giants. if you enter week 17 alive, anything can happen, and it keeps it exciting.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer Report confirms the Giants two-loss scenario as a requirement for GB to slide into the postseason:

Green Bay, in eighth place in the NFC playoff race, is a long shot, but is mathematically eligible to make the postseason if it wins its final two games.

Though a long shot, the Green Bay Packers took another step toward qualifying for the NFC playoffs with their victory over the Detroit Lions today at Lambeau Field.
By beating the Lions, the Packers improved to 6-8 and are tied with four other teams in the NFC that have identical overall records - Minnesota, San Francisco, St. Louis and Carolina. The Packers are the leader of those teams, and are in eighth place in the playoff race.

Six teams qualify for the NFC playoffs. Three NFC teams have clinched playoff berths. Chicago (12-2) the NFC North Division winner, clinched a first-round bye and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with its overtime victory over Tampa Bay today. The New Orleans Saints (9-5; currently the No. 2 seed), despite losing to Washington, clinched the NFC South Division. The Dallas Cowboys (9-5; currently the No. 3 seed) clinched a playoff berth by beating the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday and have the inside track on winning the NFC East.

Seattle (8-6) leads the NFC West and is currently the fourth seed.

Philadelphia (8-6) is the clear front-runner for a fifth playoff berth, either as NFC East champ or the first wild-card spot.

The New York Giants (7-7; games remaining vs. New Orleans and at Washington) is the leader for the other wild-card berth.

Atlanta is also 7-7, but because it trails the Giants based on record against NFC foes, it's on the outside looking in at the moment. The Falcons' remaining games are home vs. Carolina and at Philadelphia.

Green Bay leads the 6-8 teams, thanks to its 5-5 record against the NFC. The Packers close the season with games against staggering Minnesota and at Chicago, which has nothing to play for with homefield advantage wrapped up.

Also at 6-8, ranked in order of current playoff position, are San Francisco (5-6 vs. NFC; final games vs. Arizona and at Atlanta), Carolina (4-6 vs. NFC; final games at Atlanta and at New Orleans), Minnesota (4-6 vs. NFC; at Green Bay and vs. St. Louis) and St. Louis (4-6 vs. NFC; vs. Washington and at St. Louis). The Packers must win their final two games - this Thursday against Minnesota and Dec. 31 at Chicago - to have a chance of qualifying. The Packers also need two losses by the Giants and a loss by Atlanta.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone really think that if we DID make the playoffs that it would lead to anything? Yes, it would be nice, but theres no way we could beat the AFC if we got lucky enough to win the NFC.
That said, yes, i'd LOVE to see it happen.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Cheesey - who would've thought that a 6th seed would have made it last year??

The way I look at it is this - I'd much rather have a team I root for in the playoffs even if it is only one more game...

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone really think a thread like this would be around at the beginning of the year?
The 2006 Packers are not the dominating Packer teams of the mid-late 90's, but look around the NFC this year, get beyond the division leaders and all you have is a bunch of mediocre 6-8, 7-7, teams who are wondering whether they can win the last two weeks and make the play-offs.
So why not The 2006 Packers? They have gone through growing pains this year, and maybe just maybe they will be the team who runs the table and goes into the play-offs with nothing to lose.

Giants lose the next 2
Falcons lose the next two
49r's split
Rams split
Packer win out and are the #6 seed.

Just the experience of playing in a play-off game, win or lose would do wonders for this team as it grows.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is what it is. We still have a shot.

I like the fact that NY plays the Saints who lost this week and then the Redskins(at Washington) who beat the Saints. The Saints will not want to get into a losing trend at this point and the Skins looked like anything but a team cashing it in Sunday.

NY has lost 5 out of 6 so how big of a long shot is it?

Like one Giant player put it "teams that make it to the playoffs deserve it" stating that the way they have been playing they don't. Then again if the Pack wins it's last four to get there they certainly do deserve it.

Especially if the last one is against the Bears.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of the thoughts posted. I'm reeeaal skeptical about the Pack and whether they could be a competitive playoff team at this point. BUT- it's a question/doubt that will be resolved one way or another, because they will either win out or they won't. And in order to complete that, they would have to beat the Bears in the last game of the season. IF they can do that - then, I would say yes, they deserve a shot.

Of course the other circumstances (Giants, Falcons, etc) are things the Pack has no control over,, so not worth worrying about, really.

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone really think a thread like this would be around at the beginning of the year?
The 2006 Packers are not the dominating Packer teams of the mid-late 90's, but look around the NFC this year, get beyond the division leaders and all you have is a bunch of mediocre 6-8, 7-7, teams who are wondering whether they can win the last two weeks and make the play-offs.
So why not The 2006 Packers? They have gone through growing pains this year, and maybe just maybe they will be the team who runs the table and goes into the play-offs with nothing to lose.

Giants lose the next 2
Falcons lose the next two
49r's split
Rams split
Packer win out and are the #6 seed.

Just the experience of playing in a play-off game, win or lose would do wonders for this team as it grows.

The Rams and 49ers don not factor in. We have the tie-breaker over them.