PICK OF THE LITTER

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 8, 2007
PICK OF THE LITTER

This season started for cornerback Charles Woodson much the same way that his last five had gone in Oakland, with the team losing and him not making many plays.

Counting the 58 games that he played for the Raiders from 2001-'05 and his first five in Green Bay, Woodson had merely seven interceptions in those 65 games.

Less than a minute into the second half of the Week 6 game in Miami, Woodson reacted quickly when a bootleg pass bounced off the hands of tight end Randy McMichael. Little did anyone know it but his 23-yard interception return for a touchdown was the start of a spectacularly productive span of 10 weeks that stamped Woodson as one of the premier playmakers in recent club annals.

Woodson finished with eight interceptions, tying for third place in the National Football League. It was the highest total by a Packers cornerback since Mark Lee had nine in 1986; in the previous 19 seasons, the highest total was six by MikeMcKenzie in '99 and Dave Brown in '89.

Since the dawn of the Lombardi era in 1959, the only cornerbacks with as many or more interceptions were Bob Jeter, who had eight in 1967, and Willie Buchanon, who had nine in '78.

"I thought Charles, like a number of individuals, started slow at the beginning," coach Mike McCarthy said. "But I think as he got comfortable with his teammates and the scheme, he was exceptional. He's probably the most instinctive defensive back that I've seen or worked with."

Besides the eight interceptions, Woodson forced three fumbles and made one fumble recovery. His 12 turnover-producing plays were the most by a defensive player in Green Bay since safety LeRoy Butler also had 12 in 1993, counting playoffs. The last time a cornerback led the team in turnover plays was '97 when Tyrone Williams had seven, counting playoffs.

Woodson also led the club with three of the 12 dropped interceptions.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think if Al and Chuck didnt "start slow" this year. I know things take time to come together, but those guys are Vets, and I expected more. I expected Hawk and Pop and Collins to maybe slump a bit, but it felt to me like Al and Chuck struggled bigtime the first 5 weeks...and...we started 1-4. Coincidence?

Hopefully Sanders stays, and everyone else stays, and NOW that they're all comfortable with eachother, they can do good things (just add a safety and another CB and we're good).

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can keep this unit together the chemistry alone will keep us in the games next year. Our D was looking good and beginning to gel. I hope we pay Al, retain Jenkins( or whoever it was coming up for FA this year...Cole?)and keep Sanders.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the Bengals game when everyone went nutz on Woodson. Packer fans wanted to lock him up and throw away the keys. Also remember the OTA's and how he skipped them and others were having fits as well. I won't name any respective people as they're not here to defend themselves.

I think that's proof that OTA's, preseason really don't mean that much. So when people probably skip this year let's not jump the gun on McCarthy, TT, or those players. Let's remember this as an example.

Reaction score
I think that's proof that OTA's, preseason really don't mean that much. So when people probably skip this year let's not jump the gun on McCarthy, TT, or those players. Let's remember this as an example.

Porky I'd have to believe you're talking about the veteran guys because I believe the rookeis and 1st year players need every bit of experience they can get.

You are right about Woodson though, it seemed as if his signing was already a wrong one, but skipping those things probably kept him fresher for the season (and allowed him to play through the injuries).

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think if Al and Chuck didnt "start slow" this year. I know things take time to come together, but those guys are Vets, and I expected more. I expected Hawk and Pop and Collins to maybe slump a bit, but it felt to me like Al and Chuck struggled bigtime the first 5 weeks...and...we started 1-4. Coincidence?

Hopefully Sanders stays, and everyone else stays, and NOW that they're all comfortable with eachother, they can do good things (just add a safety and another CB and we're good).

I'd throw Schottenheimer overboard.

Mike Stock and Shawn Slocum should have some serious discussions with the coach about their future. No special teams assistant should have the name "Slow come".

Reaction score
Seemed liike every game there was 2 or 3 completely blwon coverages. A lot was Marquad but coaching has to be part of it too.

Believe it or not, but I read that scouts said Harris was actually more responsible for some of the bigger blown coverages this year... :rubeyes:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Porky I'd have to believe you're talking about the veteran guys because I believe the rookeis and 1st year players need every bit of experience they can get.

You are right about Woodson though, it seemed as if his signing was already a wrong one, but skipping those things probably kept him fresher for the season (and allowed him to play through the injuries).

Oh yeah I definitely think rookies and sometimes 2nd year players need it but as for a 9 year vet who is a Pro Bowl caliber player OTA's don't mean as much. Training Camp is by far the most important off season event. OTA’s. I remember reading an article on GB and Buffalo being the 2 worst teams in the NFL because they had the worse attendance in their OTA’s. Both teams greatly exceeded expectations.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
porky88 said:

Oh yeah I definitely think rookies and sometimes 2nd year players need it but as for a 9 year vet who is a Pro Bowl caliber player OTA's don't mean as much. Training Camp is by far the most important off season event. OTA’s. I remember reading an article on GB and Buffalo being the 2 worst teams in the NFL because they had the worse attendance in their OTA’s. Both teams greatly exceeded expectations.

I would say your right bout the ota and woodson..

but it was a NEW team and NEW system..So not only did he have to ge tin football shape, but had to learn new things..

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a fact.

Woodson had Eight Int's. However, if his name was not Woodson he may have had Sixteen.

He had Eight Int's while QB's were checking off on him twice as much as anyone else just because he is who he is. Just the fact of where he lines up on the field, means he got half of the chances for a pick as any one else.

This was Woodsons finest year in the N.F.L. in my humble opinion as a Raider Fan.

What he will bring to the Packers next year may not bring the same results as far as int's. but his value will be felt far beyond that. His on field
productivty and locker room contribution will be very special for the fan that looks at overall contribution to a win.

With a wise draft this year I can see the Pack as having the best "D" in the NFL in 2008. Sure that is another two years away, but two years is far from being in a re-building mode.

If Young Arron can develop, or Brett hangs on and the O line can fall into place, I can see a real shot at a Super Bowl run in 2008.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's more realistic to say that Woodson's slow start is proof that OTAs and mini-camps really do mean that much.

Imagine what his numbers would have been like if he'd played his first six games the way he played his last ten. He might even have [giggle, snort] gone to the Pro Bowl.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more realistic to say that Woodson's slow start is proof that OTAs and mini-camps really do mean that much.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was concerned about the Woodson signing, mostly because of his injury risk. Many times this season he got up slow, and I thought, "Oh boy". I also wonder why he returns punts. I don't think that he needs that beating. Either way, I am BEYOND glad to have him and it was a great signing.

As for whomever said he could have had more INTs because QB's don't throw his way, I disagree again. What QB would rather throw Harris' way? The CBs in GB make it such that there isn't one you play towards. So it's not like it was with the Raiders where everyone avoided playing towards Charles. In fact, I think the reason he's playing opposite Harris is WHY he has 8 INTs. He gets half the WR throws going his way.

In the words (or more precisely, notes) of Jeff Healey; this is a "Nice problem to have."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Imagine what his numbers would have been like if he'd played his first six games the way he played his last ten. He might even have [giggle, snort] gone to the Pro Bowl.

thats what I was saying, but you said it better

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it took awhile for Woodson to click with this unit. I wouldn't put all the blame on Woodson for the slow start though. This defensive unit in the beginning seemed like it was confused, and only started really looking strong in those last four games.

Nice to see Woodson getting some recognition here. Would have been nice if he or Harris would have made the Pro Bowl. Both had Pro Bowl years, but like most of us have been saying, we as a team got passed up this year when it came to the Pro Bowl honors we've deserved.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Then explain Harris?

Also I wouldn't call his start very slow. He did a very solid job against the Lions, Eagles, and Rams. Didn't look to bad against the Saints either. Whole team looked bad against the Bears.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since69 said:
porky88 said:

Then explain Harris?

Also I wouldn't call his start very slow. He did a very solid job against the Lions, Eagles, and Rams. Didn't look to bad against the Saints either. Whole team looked bad against the Bears.

Harris,

He has been in GB for a while and has had time in the type of system they were putting in place..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Since69 said:
porky88 said:

Then explain Harris?

Harris,

He has been in GB for a while and has had time in the type of system they were putting in place..

Fair argument but it's not like Woodson doesn't know how to bump and run either. In fact he's a physical player and that's one of the reasons we signed him. No one can also look at the film and tell me Charles Woodson was the problem with our secondary for the 1st quarter of the year either. He was rock solid against Lions, Eagles, and Rams and wasn’t to bad against the Saints either.

Also keep in mind Harris was playing for a new coaching staff too. The system while called the same is really not the same. It's Bob Sanders vision of Jim Bates' system.

Bottom line one reporter said Green Bay and Buffalo would be the 2 worse teams in football because of the missing players at OTA's or optional camps.

In the end both Green Bay and Buffalo contend for playoff spots late in the year. Optional camps are optional for a reason. They really don't mean as much to veteran players.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, vets prob wouldnt benefit as much as younger guys...But in all fairness it would never hurt anyone to try and learn more..

Woody wasnt the real issue the 1st half of the season...But it did seem to take some time for him to "click"

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel missed most of the pre-season. If he was the guy supposedly masterminding the secondary on the field, perhaps that explains the slow start to the season.