Pick #12: Narrowing the Field

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's early yet, and I've only watched a few players, but with the Packers' pick now known, we can start to hone in on some names that could realistically be there.

Probably Gone: There are no sure things in draft season, but by all accounts, these players should probably all go before the Packers pick:
  1. N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  2. Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  3. G. Williams, CB, LSU
  4. E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  5. J. Williams, OT, UA
  6. R. Gary, DL, UM
  7. D. Haskins, QB, OSU
Theoretically, if that list proves to be correct, you're talking about the Packers getting one of the next five guys. At the moment, the next top prospects on the list would include:
  1. J. Allen, ED, UK
  2. D. Thompson, S, UA
  3. M. Sweat, ED, MSU
  4. J. Simmons, iDL, MSU
  5. C. Ferrell, ED, CLEM
  6. J. Polite, ED, FLA
  7. G. Little, OT, MISS
  8. R. Davis, iDL, UA
Again-- it's very early. But at the moment, it would seem likely that the top talent on the board when the Packers pick is along the defensive front (edge rusher or interior DL). If they don't sign a starting safety, then it would seem to be Deionte Thompson or bust, however.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think j allen and j simmons are also gone by pick 12, im not for another Alabama safety. I want the best D line or O line guy left, i guess a go Ferrell first and maybe G. Little second choice. None are really sure fire. I would love J Allen, but hes top 5.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I definitely didn't see a top 5 lock by any stretch when I watched Josh Allen.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive seen allen mocked 1 to 10, and some in top 5. just dont think he will be there. wish there were more QBs to have guys drift to us. i go Edge at 12 and OT at 32 and G in second round. its time to start to pushing people around in the trenches.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People not wanting DT because him and HaHa played at Bama are gonna get on my **** list.

At least come up with legit reasons people!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People not wanting DT because him and HaHa played at Bama are gonna get on my **** list.

At least come up with legit reasons people!
Im for the big athletic guys early Edge DL OT G. we have problems everywhere, but if we can start to win in the trenches, i think everything starts to look better. As for the Alabama Safety D. Thompson has alot of studs in front of him...i still dont see him as a playmaker...you had your chance at a monster safety in D. James...and the packers blew right by him...just maybe they dont value the safety position as a first round pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You can use the "he had a lot of studs around him" argument to discount literally any Alabama prospect.

D

Deleted member 6794

you had your chance at a monster safety in D. James...and the packers blew right by him...just maybe they dont value the safety position as a first round pick.

I don't think that's true as the Packers selected Clinton-Dix in the first round.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yep... that was TT......Gute blew by D. James "the pro bowler".

For a corner prospect that he desperately needed and loved loved plus an extra 1st round pick.

That move doesn't have to be a referendum on his valuation of the safety position.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a corner prospect that he desperately needed and loved loved plus an extra 1st round pick.

That move doesn't have to be a referendum on his valuation of the safety position.
Well i guess will see how it plays out, this very moment i would trade for D.James for both Alexander and Jackson, the upcoming Saints pick matters so will see. But Thompson is no James, and ill stick by going with the best two big fellas you can get at 12 and 32.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early yet, and I've only watched a few players, but with the Packers' pick now known, we can start to hone in on some names that could realistically be there.

Probably Gone: There are no sure things in draft season, but by all accounts, these players should probably all go before the Packers pick:
  1. N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  2. Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  3. G. Williams, CB, LSU
  4. E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  5. J. Williams, OT, UA
  6. R. Gary, DL, UM
  7. D. Haskins, QB, OSU
Theoretically, if that list proves to be correct, you're talking about the Packers getting one of the next five guys. At the moment, the next top prospects on the list would include:
  1. J. Allen, ED, UK
  2. D. Thompson, S, UA
  3. M. Sweat, ED, MSU
  4. J. Simmons, iDL, MSU
  5. C. Ferrell, ED, CLEM
  6. J. Polite, ED, FLA
  7. G. Little, OT, MISS
  8. R. Davis, iDL, UA
Again-- it's very early. But at the moment, it would seem likely that the top talent on the board when the Packers pick is along the defensive front (edge rusher or interior DL). If they don't sign a starting safety, then it would seem to be Deionte Thompson or bust, however.
My options look like this:

1. Quinnen Williams. DE
2. Josh Allen OLB
3. Nick Bosa OLB
4. Devin White ILB
5. Rashan Gary DE
6. Jawaan Taylor OT
7. Derrick Brown DE
8. Trade Back

I think at least 5 others go: QBs, polite, 2 CBs, Oliver, Simmons, OT, or WTF

Therefore we should get a top 7 player, I'm pulling for ILB White. I think he will be very good for many years.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should be able to have at least one of: Josh Allen, Jachai Polite, Clelin Ferrell, or Brian Burns.

I would like one of those guys. We so desperately need an edge pass rusher...we don't have one quick twitch guy on our line. Not. One. We need one.

Now, if Quinnen, Bosa, or Ed Oliver are there, I would probably take one of them. Otherwise, pick one of those 4.

As a side note, I like Josh Allen, but he's probably the worst pass rusher of the bunch. That doesn't mean he's bad, or will be bad, at pass rushing, he's just not the pass rusher those other guys are. He is very good though, and very versatile. He's basically a perfect Mike Pettine fit, and IMO, a better version of Kyler Fackrell. I will say I think the top 5, and possibly even top 10 talk of him is overstated. He's good, but not that good.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll use chalk for sure, because I'm hoping that sign a safety in free agency and keep their options open.

There’s no difference maker at safety really in free agency that would be worth the money imo. Landon Collins will be franchised or signed long term in NY, Mathieu said he would never play somewhere cold, and Earl Thomas was already slowing down a bit before he broke his leg. I’m just not seeing a realistic option who might be worth their big contract yet still good enough to move the needle. Maybe Lamarcus Joyner? I dunno.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There’s no difference maker at safety really in free agency that would be worth the money imo. Landon Collins will be franchised or signed long term in NY, Mathieu said he would never play somewhere cold, and Earl Thomas was already slowing down a bit before he broke his leg. I’m just not seeing a realistic option who might be worth their big contract yet still good enough to move the needle. Maybe Lamarcus Joyner? I dunno.

Adrian Amos would be my choice.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If Oakland comes calling and offers #25 and #27 for #12 and #74, does Gute move on it? Or KC with 31, 62, & 63? Yes I know the round one picks for the playoff teams are not cast in concrete yet. How about moving the NO pick to one of the teams with multiple later 2nd round picks? My pick value chart.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Oakland comes calling and offers #25 and #27 for #12 and #74, does Gute move on it? Or KC with 31, 62, & 63? Yes I know the round one picks for the playoff teams are not cast in concrete yet. How about moving the NO pick to one of the teams with multiple later 2nd round picks? My pick value chart.
I think the drop from #12 to #25 is bigger than most seasons. I would consider only for #25 & #27 for #12. We would own the back end of the first.

Members online

Latest posts