4. LB Krys Barnes, 28.5
5. CB Isaac Yiadom, 26.8

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So few thoughts streamed from the gradings...

Surprises for me-

EQSB score should be taken with a grain of salt, the PI was ludacris and that catch was insane...he graded very good in blocking for the day. In many ways EQ showcased why he may be a solid deep depth guy for sure. Also surprised how poorly Newman and Runyon played - but that was a very tough front we were up against, still we gotta do better.

Jaylon had a pressure and whiffed on a tackle and coverage - rough 15 snaps and I think was too early to throw him out there personally (8 days in).

Tonyan in his whiffs/blocking - I don't expect him to be a stud here, but he was poor for even him.

Henry Black stepped up big time when his number was forced into action for more snaps (37) than he normally sees.

Also Sullivan may have perhaps just put together one of his finest games ever in coverage.

Not surprised -

Douglas and Yiadom did all they could, and both at times showed promise...other times reminded everyone why they were available to be had for so so little. I actually liked a lot of what I saw out of Douglas, you take away his two penalties I think he flirts with mid to upper 50s grade wise.

Marcedes re-signing ticked some off...but only those that just are clueless on what he provides - he isn't our biggest weapon, but the cog he is in our offense is immense and outside of Rodgers/Adams - could be the most notable if missing.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was Garvin's rating? Thought he did good vs Bears.

So I paid for membership with PFF thinking I'd have full access to stuff...NOPE - or at least it appears, still haven't messed around the site a ton since becoming a member few weeks back. I believe I'd need to do the elite membership to access and not spending that type of cash on it.

Packerswire is who usually posts the PFF best and worsts along with their take on summaries.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I paid for membership with PFF thinking I'd have full access to stuff...NOPE - or at least it appears, still haven't messed around the site a ton since becoming a member few weeks back. I believe I'd need to do the elite membership to access and not spending that type of cash on it.
wow, pff is a rip-off if that is true. but thank you for posting what you have access to.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll share my thoughts in comments, will just paste the best and worsts here:

Best Offense:

1. TE Marcedes Lewis, 89.5
2. RB Aaron Jones, 84.7
3. QB Aaron Rodgers, 81.5
4. WR Davante Adams, 78.4
5. RB A.J. Dillon, 74.8

Best Defense:

1. OLB Rashan Gary, 87.4
2. CB Chandon Sullivan, 74.5
3. DL Kenny Clark, 73.6
4. LB De’Vondre Campbell, 71.4
5. S Henry Black, 70.6

Worst Offense:

1. WR Randall Cobb, 56.5
2. LG Jon Runyan, 55.3
3. WR Equanimeous St. Brown, 51.0
4. RG Royce Newman, 48.5
5. TE Robert Tonyan, 43.8

1. CB Rasul Douglas, 47.7
2. LB Jaylon Smith, 34.3
3. LB Oren Burks, 30.9
4. LB Krys Barnes, 28.5
5. CB Isaac Yiadom, 26.8
I just hope not too many take this too seriously. I don't think this rag is worth the dime you probably pay for it. Just a bunch of numbers imo.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope not too many take this too seriously. I don't think this rag is worth the dime you probably pay for it. Just a bunch of numbers imo.

Whether worth or not is subjective, however their grading systems do very well IMO in grading a player's performance. Especially in the separate aspects of their game. Like OL for example a guy could be a stud in pass protection but have an abysmal day run blocking...the PFF grading scale is not perfect, but it is for sure a dependable metric/grading that I've not seen it appear bad especially overall season gradings. You'll have anomalies like the EQ's suffering due to that PI call, but on a whole it does a solid job of reflecting player performance.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rasul's line was 6 targets, 3 receptions, 32 yards, 2 YAC and a QB rating against of 66.

That's honestly solid, take away his penalties again and his grade is quite good.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll also add in reality you are never going to have a roster as a whole do great in a game, but when your worst 5 rated offensive players are above or close to getting a 50.0 - that is most likely going to be a very good or efficient day on offense.

Reaction score
Whether worth or not is subjective, however their grading systems do very well IMO in grading a player's performance. Especially in the separate aspects of their game. Like OL for example a guy could be a stud in pass protection but have an abysmal day run blocking...the PFF grading scale is not perfect, but it is for sure a dependable metric/grading that I've not seen it appear bad especially overall season gradings. You'll have anomalies like the EQ's suffering due to that PI call, but on a whole it does a solid job of reflecting player performance.
I agree. You kinda want to use several methods. Obviously Watch the game for a personal depiction (subjective) + review statistical information (objective) from the game + use an algorithm like this (weighted mean) to get an overall feel.

Good stuff Tyni I appreciated it. :tup:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And down to the 1/10 of a point. lol

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And down to the 1/10 of a point. lol

They're typically merely rounded to the nearest tenth, as with any statistical reading revolving around numbers they can be rounded to any place you desire...batting averages don't stop after the third spot, but that's how their most commonly discussed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you could point me to a different site that grades every player on every play AND makes them available to the public, I would be ecstatic! Because otherwise fans just judge players on the teams they watch and only the players they see on the TV broadcast. Short of that, they provide a way to see a relative idea of how well a player is playing. Do I think the 17th ranked PFF receiver is definitively better than the 25th? Nope. But that 17th ranked receiver is certainly better than the 42nd.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not surprised -

Douglas and Yiadom did all they could, and both at times showed promise...other times reminded everyone why they were available to be had for so so little. I actually liked a lot of what I saw out of Douglas, you take away his two penalties I think he flirts with mid to upper 50s grade wise.

I don't agree Yiadom showed any promise. He was replaced by Douglas after nine snaps for the rest of the game and the defense did significantly better without him on the field.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. You kinda want to use several methods. Obviously Watch the game for a personal depiction (subjective) + review statistical information (objective) from the game + use an algorithm like this (weighted mean) to get an overall feel.

Good stuff Tyni I appreciated it. :tup:

I agree with this take, too; plus, one of the things that I've noticed for myself is that if the PFF number is way off from my impression, it can help me consider what aspects of that player's game I might not have considered -- which leads me to think/watch in more depth.

For instance, I am pretty dang confident in my ability to watch and understand OL play -- my own impressions tend to align with PFF grades, coaches' comments, etc....but I definitely don't have the same kind of handle on, say, DB play, so a grade that surprises me (for instance, I thought Douglas had a really strong game at CB) forces me to understand what aspects of his responsibilities I missed.

Sure, another, similarly-derived metric could do the same -- but as others have mentioned...where is that other metric that's available to the public?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this take, too; plus, one of the things that I've noticed for myself is that if the PFF number is way off from my impression, it can help me consider what aspects of that player's game I might not have considered -- which leads me to think/watch in more depth.

For instance, I am pretty dang confident in my ability to watch and understand OL play -- my own impressions tend to align with PFF grades, coaches' comments, etc....but I definitely don't have the same kind of handle on, say, DB play, so a grade that surprises me (for instance, I thought Douglas had a really strong game at CB) forces me to understand what aspects of his responsibilities I missed.

Sure, another, similarly-derived metric could do the same -- but as others have mentioned...where is that other metric that's available to the public?
I am thinking that the penalties must have had a lot to do with Douglas's grade. And so actually does not reflect how well he played his man. I saw Douglas playing tight and though there were some receptions; he played the balls well. And not a lot of yardage. Not many can stop really good execution. He appears to be the best option for stepping up right now.
I just kind of take the opposite approach as you. I'm not thinking, "what did I not see"? I'm thinking that I'm not going to trust what these guys are saying over what I think and saw. Maybe over the course of a year they can be useful...maybe. But they are grading people that are fighting for playing time now and may not play a lot all year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that the penalties must have had a lot to do with Douglas's grade. And so actually does not reflect how well he played his man. I saw Douglas playing tight and though there were some receptions; he played the balls well. And not a lot of yardage. Not many can stop really good execution. He appears to be the best option for stepping up right now.
I just kind of take the opposite approach as you. I'm not thinking, "what did I not see"? I'm thinking that I'm not going to trust what these guys are saying over what I think and saw. Maybe over the course of a year they can be useful...maybe. But they are grading people that are fighting for playing time now and may not play a lot all year.

When a metric weighs in penalties it is easily filtered though by those reading them. As I said without the PIs one could easily expect Rasul's grade to be above 60 for sure - he did whiff on a tackle as well which weighs in. Pure coverage excluding any other responsibilities, Rasul played very good really.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why we have to hope King and Savage return soon and hold down things until Jaire is back.

Savage is a bigger hit than King IMO, but we truly need both for sure. I don't think Henry Black can sustain the high level playing he did when Savage went down quite yet in his career - but kudos to him for doing so when the bell rang.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is a bigger hit than King IMO, but we truly need both for sure. I don't think Henry Black can sustain the high level playing he did when Savage went down quite yet in his career - but kudos to him for doing so when the bell rang.
Yeah, I'm no fan of King either but beggars can't be choosers when your defensive backfield is getting decimated like this. :unsure:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm no fan of King either but beggars can't be choosers when your defensive backfield is getting decimated like this. :unsure:

He for sure is a roller coaster - I'd never be shocked to see him put forth a 30 PFF grade or a 70....King is just a crazy ride no one is begging to buy a ticket for - only gets patrons because other lines are longer.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like I’ve seen many NFL players say regarding those grades on the OL, “how can they accurately grade when they don’t know the calls?”

LaFleur said Patrick was the highest graded OL, for example. That grade matters. The PFF grades don’t matter. They don’t know the call.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I’ve seen many NFL players say regarding those grades on the OL, “how can they accurately grade when they don’t know the calls?”

LaFleur said Patrick was the highest graded OL, for example. That grade matters. The PFF grades don’t matter. They don’t know the call.

I concur especially along the OL front, which is weighed by those of us reviewing them for sure.

Members online

Latest posts