Peyton Manning Bowl

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 game doesn't make a simplistic statement a fact. People like to jump on what is the popular trending comments on espn. The offense was efficient. Special teams came to play last night. Yet no one mentions that.

Last week peyton manning was everyone's greatest QB of all time. This week you have people wondering if he should stay on the broncos. I've seen some ask would they have won with tebow.

Great offenses don't win SBs (rarely, I see you st Louis). I mean all time great offenses. Denver, New England, GB, NE, and saints in the past decade have put up top 5 offenses of all time (SB era) when it comes to points scored. None won the SB. It's about balance offensively and defensively.

Packers won in 2010 to a team that was the best defensive team in the league. The steelers just didn't have favorable match ups.

Peyton Manning has played in 3 Super Bowls. Last night he played a great defense, in 2007 he played against a middling Bears pass defense(without Mike Brown it wasn't that good). In 2010 he played against a shaky New Orleans Defense. No matter the ability of the Defense Peyton Manning has been pedestrian at best in his Super Bowl appearances. Contrast his performances in the big game with Favre, Montana, Young, Rodgers etc.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton Manning has played in 3 Super Bowls. Last night he played a great defense, in 2007 he played against a middling Bears pass defense(without Mike Brown it wasn't that good). In 2010 he played against a shaky New Orleans Defense. No matter the ability of the Defense Peyton Manning has been pedestrian at best in his Super Bowl appearances. Contrast his performances in the big game with Favre, Montana, Young, Rodgers etc.

He doesn't play well in the post season. Favre didn't either.

There's something with these QBs that are record setting. Fran. Marino. Favre. (Soon to be peyton). All held the all time records at their position. But post season? Ehhh. 2 superbowls between 4 greats. It's something I want to look at more closely.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning did in fact look farvian last night. He had the look of a guy that wasn't going to let the game play out, without forcing himself on it. He played as if they were down by 50 the entire way. It looked like his head, arm and legs were all playing a different game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't play well in the post season. Favre didn't either.

There's something with these QBs that are record setting. Fran. Marino. Favre. (Soon to be peyton). All held the all time records at their position. But post season? Ehhh. 2 superbowls between 4 greats. It's something I want to look at more closely.

Favre played well in both Super Bowls he played in. With him he was very good in the PO under Holmgren. I think QBs tend to play better in big games out of system offenses, it minimizes the pressure and stress.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 game doesn't make a simplistic statement a fact. People like to jump on what is the popular trending comments on espn. The offense was efficient. Special teams came to play last night. Yet no one mentions that.

Last week peyton manning was everyone's greatest QB of all time. This week you have people wondering if he should stay on the broncos. I've seen some ask would they have won with tebow.

Great offenses don't win SBs (rarely, I see you st Louis). I mean all time great offenses. Denver, New England, GB, NE, and saints in the past decade have put up top 5 offenses of all time (SB era) when it comes to points scored. None won the SB. It's about balance offensively and defensively.

Packers won in 2010 to a team that was the best defensive team in the league. The steelers just didn't have favorable match ups.
You seem to think that it's not as black and white as others make it out to be...
Is that a fair statement on your opinion/observations?

OK so the Steelers had the best D. But then didn't the Packers D that night have a better one?
Wasn't the forced fumble by Clay the game changer for us?
And we did get a pick 6, if memory serves well.

IMO it's defense that matters more in football. They can turn the ball over, score on a turnover and stop the offense from scoring.
In no other sport am I aware of how the defense gets put up on a pedestal.
Does this mean that defense matters more?
No. As you wrote before, to each their own.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to think that it's not as black and white as others make it out to be...

OK so the Steelers had the best D. But then didn't the Packers D that night have a better one?

IMO it's defense that matters more in football. They can turn the ball over, score on a turnover and stop the offense from scoring.
That's a fair observation on my views

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning did in fact look farvian last night. He had the look of a guy that wasn't going to let the game play out, without forcing himself on it. He played as if they were down by 50 the entire way. It looked like his head, arm and legs were all playing a different game.

It's called pressure. He hadn't had people in his face like that all year. Their OLine looked avg last night compared to most of the year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Id argue that the difference in that game was Rodgers playing better than Big Ben.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id argue that the difference in that game was Rodgers playing better than Big Ben.
Yes, Rodgers did play better.
At the same time, our D kept the Steelers from scoring more points therefore letting Rodgers have the better game and they stopped the Stealers on their final couple of drives.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Pete Carroll the credit. Although Peyton is dancing around all over the place before the snap, supposedly setting up the offense. ....once the play starts Manning runs for cover in the pocket and stands there lead-footed. Pressure him and ....to put it frankly, he panics and looks and acts scared OFTEN..... not all the time.....but CERTAINLY SUNDAY. CARROLL knows this and sent his guys in full tilt. The game wasn't as close as it looked at, what 43-8? There was NO WAY PEYTON was gonna score 3-4 more TD's ....and .....Seattle might have been able to if they played some more. A SLAUGHTER. It rivaled Montana's thrashing of Elway and the Broncos in the early 90's, as well as the Bear's annihilation if the Pats in the 80's. The BIGGEST SUPER BOWL WIPEOUT IN NEARLY A QUARTER OF A CENTURY!

Members online

Latest posts