Perfect example of overspending

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has done this for years. Doesn't like to spend in free agency but will overspend for his guys. Clay Matthews is NOT worth all the money he is making..and neither is Randle Cobb. Matthews has been useless this year with his annual hamstring injury. I don't want to hear "oh he hasn't missed a game since 2014" and all this other hooblah. That may be true, but he seems to always be playing with some sorta injury. Not only that.. I can't remember the last time I saw him take over a game like a JJ Watt, Von Miller or Khalil Mack. I can't even remember the last time where he forced a double team to his side. Elite players do that. He's making elite player money.

Randle Cobb shows flashes...and then dissapears. Repeat. That's been his entire career here in Green Bay. He had one solid season and since then hasn't showed he's worth what TT paid him either. Which is basically #1 wr money when he seems to be nothing more than a slot wr, who can take a handoff every now and then. Not to mention now he's injury prone.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree they both look overpaid now. At the time we signed Cobb to that deal though, I thought it was going to be a decent deal. I thought Clay's deal was overpay from the time he signed it. Clay used to be my favorite player, but now I just find it annoying how hyped he is with how limited his impact has really been.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay's deal at the time was completely worth it.

Yes, he has dropped off but a GM should not take the risk of letting a young stud pass rusher go.

I can't imagine the freak out here if Clay was not resigned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have my concerns about Clay, but i also don't think it's a coincidence our defense has gone from shut down to lay down since he's been out either. What happened to all these other guys making plays? He doesn't do us any good in the training room, but then again, where is JJ Watt? I think going forward something needs to be done about his salary, but that doesn't do anything for us now.

As for Cobb, at the time he signed it, everybody thought it was a pretty good deal. he still has a lot of time to earn that money.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have my concerns about Clay, but i also don't think it's a coincidence our defense has gone from shut down to lay down since he's been out either. What happened to all these other guys making plays? He doesn't do us any good in the training room, but then again, where is JJ Watt? I think going forward something needs to be done about his salary, but that doesn't do anything for us now.

As for Cobb, at the time he signed it, everybody thought it was a pretty good deal. he still has a lot of time to earn that money.

Perry and the pass rush has slowed down significantly since Clay went down.

It's very possible like you said that it's not a coincidence the defense has been worse.

Even though Clay wasn't putting up big numbers, he might have still been taking a lot of attention from the offense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as overspending as a whole, Id bet most teams have a contract or two they regret.

Thompson has been very good at limting those throughout the years.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the Matthews deal- we see how overpaid pass rushers are in the free market. But spending $10M a piece on 2 receivers is just bad business, unless you have AJ Green and Gronkowski.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how anybody could have been upset at the time, when we signed Matthews and Cobb to long term deals. Each of them were key contributors to the team at that time and people would have been furious if we let them walk. In retrospect, it is easy to say they got overpaid or whatever when they are missing time or lacking production due to injury.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say now, today, that Cobb and Matthews are overpaid.
But at the time of their deals they were good moves, and pretty much in line with what they would have gotten on the open market.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has done this for years. Doesn't like to spend in free agency but will overspend for his guys. Clay Matthews is NOT worth all the money he is making..and neither is Randle Cobb. Matthews has been useless this year with his annual hamstring injury. I don't want to hear "oh he hasn't missed a game since 2014" and all this other hooblah. That may be true, but he seems to always be playing with some sorta injury. Not only that.. I can't remember the last time I saw him take over a game like a JJ Watt, Von Miller or Khalil Mack. I can't even remember the last time where he forced a double team to his side. Elite players do that. He's making elite player money.

Randle Cobb shows flashes...and then dissapears. Repeat. That's been his entire career here in Green Bay. He had one solid season and since then hasn't showed he's worth what TT paid him either. Which is basically #1 wr money when he seems to be nothing more than a slot wr, who can take a handoff every now and then. Not to mention now he's injury prone.
You are definitely playing hindsight game a little bit here but I think the point is and what everybody should realize is that the risk of signing your own guys too high-priced contracts is just as risky as signing free agents to high-priced contracts. So what makes TT 'a way any better? The answer is pretty simple it doesn't make it any better and he completely fails to use resources and tools available To him to make the team better which is a failure on his part.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are definitely playing hindsight game a little bit here but I think the point is and what everybody should realize is that the risk of signing your own guys too high-priced contracts is just as risky as signing free agents to high-priced contracts. So what makes TT 'a way any better? The answer is pretty simple it doesn't make it any better and he completely fails to use resources and tools available To him to make the team better which is a failure on his part.

I think adding Forte and Vernon Davis would've made the team a lot better. Didn't Go after either. Also you can't tell me Winslow wouldn't be an upgrade over RR and Perillo..as well as a available Ray Rice bolstering the run game. Yea a lot ppl are down on him and for good reason but we need help there and he seems to have his act together . He tried trading for Kniles Davis and then freaked and released the guy to save one if his precious draft picks. The secondary is horrid at corner but manned by a couple undrafted free agents. When Cromartie is on the market. I'm sure he's better than Gunter and Goodson like seriously. He's probably play fir peanuts too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say now, today, that Cobb and Matthews are overpaid.
But at the time of their deals they were good moves, and pretty much in line with what they would have gotten on the open market.
at this point in the season i guess you could. hard to argue that anyone in the training room and not on the field is worth anything.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think adding Forte and Vernon Davis would've made the team a lot better. Didn't Go after either. Also you can't tell me Winslow wouldn't be an upgrade over RR and Perillo..as well as a available Ray Rice bolstering the run game. Yea a lot ppl are down on him and for good reason but we need help there and he seems to have his act together . He tried trading for Kniles Davis and then freaked and released the guy to save one if his precious draft picks. The secondary is horrid at corner but manned by a couple undrafted free agents. When Cromartie is on the market. I'm sure he's better than Gunter and Goodson like seriously. He's probably play fir peanuts too.
and if Forte would have met the same fate as our top 3 RB's this year, he would have been worth just as much, not worth a ****. Davis? yeah give me some of that guy. Played his way off 2 teams, one a Super Bowl winning team that traded for and then benched him. YES, more of that please. LOL. So he's caught a couple passes this year, BFD. The guy has been a malcontent under performer for most of his career. Rice, aging and on a downward trend 2 years ago, not playing with any team in that long? Looks like a knee injury after a 1.2 YPC outing waiting to happen. WInslow? 32 teams don't have him, and Thompson is the stupid one. Cook was a FA, he plays TE, he was injured, he'll be back and we can see what he is. Whatever it is the potential is miles above Winslow.

Still mad about Kniles Davis? They guy the rest of the league kicked around like an old can and he was only brought back to the team that let him go in the first place after losing all their RB's? that guy? I'm so upset he's gone, LOL

Cromartie????? That guy would make any 2ndary look worse just by stepping on the field. He's DUN and has been for a while. You recognize his name, congrats. But he sucks. There's a reason he's sitting at home in a passing league full of teams needing a defender against the pass. As far as I'm concerned Goodson could go sit with him too, but then guys that far down the depth chart are of that ability on every single team in the league.

Yes, he gambled with some youth this year. It's led to difficulties. But don't kid yourself, teams down their top 3 DB's and Top 3 RB's and their top pass rusher and a few million dollar a year QB throwing balls in the dirt aren't winning a lot of games either.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cromartie was garbage, there is a reason he got released from one of the worst pass defenses in the league. If he was good, the Colts would have kept him. I would certainly take Gunter over Cromartie... Not even close.

There are times I agree we should have made a move, like Revis the year he went to the Pats... I liked some of the lesser known middle linebackers this year. I would have kept Hayward (I'M sure my past post talk about how I thought we should not get rid of him during last season.) Like here....

You will eat those words one day... Adams will become more than anyone gives him credit for... Linsley is a solid starter, hard to argue that. You are also writing off a guy who was fine till injury in Montegomery. Hayward is a fine nickel and played a hell of game against Washington.

Looking back I had some solid insight :roflmao:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure the risks are there but I'm not sure they are quite the same. Your own guys are guys you have years of personal experience with. I'd think that insider knowledge would be worth something. No, it doesn't always work out but if you are considering signing two guys for the same money and you have extensive personal knowledge of one over the other and there is nothing else to tip the scales you go with the one you know.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if Forte would have met the same fate as our top 3 RB's this year, he would have been worth just as much, not worth a ****. Davis? yeah give me some of that guy. Played his way off 2 teams, one a Super Bowl winning team that traded for and then benched him. YES, more of that please. LOL. So he's caught a couple passes this year, BFD. The guy has been a malcontent under performer for most of his career. Rice, aging and on a downward trend 2 years ago, not playing with any team in that long? Looks like a knee injury after a 1.2 YPC outing waiting to happen. WInslow? 32 teams don't have him, and Thompson is the stupid one. Cook was a FA, he plays TE, he was injured, he'll be back and we can see what he is. Whatever it is the potential is miles above Winslow.

Still mad about Kniles Davis? They guy the rest of the league kicked around like an old can and he was only brought back to the team that let him go in the first place after losing all their RB's? that guy? I'm so upset he's gone, LOL

Cromartie????? That guy would make any 2ndary look worse just by stepping on the field. He's DUN and has been for a while. You recognize his name, congrats. But he sucks. There's a reason he's sitting at home in a passing league full of teams needing a defender against the pass. As far as I'm concerned Goodson could go sit with him too, but then guys that far down the depth chart are of that ability on every single team in the league.

Yes, he gambled with some youth this year. It's led to difficulties. But don't kid yourself, teams down their top 3 DB's and Top 3 RB's and their top pass rusher and a few million dollar a year QB throwing balls in the dirt aren't winning a lot of games either.

Glad I didn't go with my first reaction to reply to Rodell. You said it much better than I would have.

Thinking like that is why we have guys in the pro bowl two years after they start their decline and its why Eddie Murphy was elected to congress in "the Distinguished Gentleman" name recognition.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Surprised people aren't saying we overpaid for Aaron Rodgers. :coffee:

I get hindsight saying "wow, we came out on the short end of the stick with this guy or that guy", but welcome to the NFL where money is guaranteed and performance is not. It's always easy to look back and say should have, would have, could have, but that only means you are someone who is really good at pointing out the obvious. Until contracts become more weighted on performance and less guaranteed money, if you want to try and field a quality team, you have to hope that all your research and analysis of a players future is worth what you are willing to pay him. How many people were b*tchin about the resigning of Perry and Taylor? The good news, we aren't alone in over or underpaying players, it happens across the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad I didn't go with my first reaction to reply to Rodell. You said it much better than I would have.

Thinking like that is why we have guys in the pro bowl two years after they start their decline and its why Eddie Murphy was elected to congress in "the Distinguished Gentleman" name recognition.
"**** is good!"

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry and the pass rush has slowed down significantly since Clay went down.

It's very possible like you said that it's not a coincidence the defense has been worse.

Even though Clay wasn't putting up big numbers, he might have still been taking a lot of attention from the offense.
I have been thinking this as well. The defense has struggled all year, but seems to have gotten significantly worse since Mathews has been out. The secondary has been atrocious because of the lack of Shields and Randall (I was going to add Rollins to this, but he has been pretty bad since being back anyway) but It really does seem that since Mathews has been out, that the secondary has been even worse. I think his presence in the pass rush is far greater than we may see from his stats.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have been thinking this as well. The defense has struggled all year, but seems to have gotten significantly worse since Mathews has been out. The secondary has been atrocious because of the lack of Shields and Randall (I was going to add Rollins to this, but he has been pretty bad since being back anyway) but It really does seem that since Mathews has been out, that the secondary has been even worse. I think his presence in the pass rush is far greater than we may see from his stats.

Might also have to look at what offenses the Packers defenses were looking "better" against. With or without Matthews, they just aren't that great of a defense IMO.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might also have to look at what offenses the Packers defenses were looking "better" against. With or without Matthews, they just aren't that great of a defense IMO.
Where in my post did I ever say the Defense looked "good" ?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carl makes an excellent point; it isn't so much Matthews performance as the attention he draws away from others, such as Perry.
As to Matthews, I'm in agreement with the point CaptainWIMM made a while back that he's been in decline for a while now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where in my post did I ever say the Defense looked "good" ?
Your post was probably the wrong one to reference, sorry. Although you were inferring a bit that they were "better" with Matthews. ;)

I was merely pointing out, that our defense really has only played "well" against some pretty crappy offenses. Much like the early hype of how good the Packers were at stopping the run.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your post was probably the wrong one to reference, sorry. Although you were inferring a bit that they were "better" with Matthews. ;)

I was merely pointing out, that our defense really has only played "well" against some pretty crappy offenses. Much like the early hype of how good the Packers were at stopping the run.
I don't disagree lol, but while I did infer that they were better with Mathews... I actually said they went from "attrocious" to "worse" without Mathews.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as overspending as a whole, Id bet most teams have a contract or two they regret.

Thompson has been very good at limting those throughout the years.

I don't think Thompson overpaid for either Matthews or Cobb at the time the contracts were signed but don't fool yourself as TT has had his share of overpaying for several of the team's own free agents in the past.

Members online

Latest posts