Penalties?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's with all of the penalties this year? The Packers have been one of the best disciplined teams in the league going back years, but that's certainly not the case this year. There have been a few killer ones, too.

Here's where the Packers have ranked in penalties per game going back to 2010.

2010- 5th (5 per game)
2011- 1st (4.7)
2012- 10th (6.1)
2013- 7th (5.2)
2014- 8th (5.9)
2015- 11th (6.4)
2016- 6th (5.8)
2017- 9th (6)
2018- 30th (8.2)

Reaction score
What's with all of the penalties this year? The Packers have been one of the best disciplined teams in the league going back years, but that's certainly not the case this year. There have been a few killer ones, too.

2010- 5th (5 per game)
2011- 1st (4.7)
2012- 10th (6.1)
2013- 7th (5.2)
2014- 8th (5.9)
2015- 11th (6.4)
2016- 6th (5.8)
2017- 9th (6)
2018- 30th (8.2)

I would say coaching needs to tighten up. I would say penalties show lack of discipline. I would say it's up to MM to change this narrative. But I won't say that cause I see what happens to people who suggest anything is MM's fault of this forum :coffee:

Reaction score
This is a huge problem and I think it would be wise and substantiated to address it openly in meetings. If I’m the HC, each position coach would then have to bring me a verbal and written report (good or bad) on my desk each Monday of the names of any players being penalized. That report would detail the facts at hand and a training solution by said coach.

I’d want to see a full breakdown of the issue by player, by position group, by quarter, by passing attempt, by rushing attempt, but most importantly, I’d want to study the actual effect on which fouls are most hurtful. Penalty yardage (the enforcement) is only one part of the metric.

One example of this is our Kickoff return that was run back to THEIR 35 yard line Monday night. We ended up starting on our own 15 yard line due to an infraction. That goes on the stat sheet as a 10 yard penalty, when in effect that was a 50 yard mistake! E.g, If that KR had gone for a TD? ? That would’ve been 85 yards and lost potentially 7 points!

We need to prioritize and address those mistakes that cost us dearly based on what takes minimal research and a good spreadsheet program to display it. Special teams is where I would start. But I would want to know in detail what areas cause the most damage to our momentum. We need to work through this issue on a priority basis and have a process to all but diminish it. Constant awareness goes a long ways in mitigating the problem.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say coaching needs to tighten up. I would say penalties show lack of discipline. I would say it's up to MM to change this narrative. But I won't say that cause I see what happens to people who suggest anything is MM's fault of this forum :coffee:
There's a pretty big difference between pointing out flaws and faults and trying to say everything is one person's fault. Like pointing out calling more bootlegs after it was clear their defensive end was not buying it, not once, or twice, but three more times is a pretty valid criticism. Saying MM sucks, can't call an offense, isn't creative blah, blah, blah is entirely different. They tried a ****ing double reverse last night, saw how that worked. Not creative enough for people? I would have rather than ran a stretch play with Williams. They think MM is an idiot for having any other back but Jones in the game and I can think of 2 distinct plays where it was pretty obvious the 9er's were brining heat and he offered absolutely zero in pass protection. I think they had an intentional grounding and a sack on those 2 plays.

The problem with most criticisms on this board is they are broad brush statements that equate to nothing really. Posters would be better of just repeating, "I don't like MM and nothing he does can convince me he is any better than dirt" At least their pointing out something the rest of us can see is true.

Reaction score
There's a pretty big difference between pointing out flaws and faults and trying to say everything is one person's fault. Like pointing out calling more bootlegs after it was clear their defensive end was not buying it, not once, or twice, but three more times is a pretty valid criticism. Saying MM sucks, can't call an offense, isn't creative blah, blah, blah is entirely different. They tried a ******* double reverse last night, saw how that worked. Not creative enough for people? I would have rather than ran a stretch play with Williams. They think MM is an idiot for having any other back but Jones in the game and I can think of 2 distinct plays where it was pretty obvious the 9er's were brining heat and he offered absolutely zero in pass protection. I think they had an intentional grounding and a sack on those 2 plays.

The problem with most criticisms on this board is they are broad brush statements that equate to nothing really. Posters would be better of just repeating, "I don't like MM and nothing he does can convince me he is any better than dirt" At least their pointing out something the rest of us can see is true.

All true! I just know it is a sensitive subject. I just joined this forum not long ago, but I will avoid MM and Brett Favre topics for sanity's sake

D

Deleted member 6794

2010- 5th (5 per game)
2011- 1st (4.7)
2012- 10th (6.1)
2013- 7th (5.2)
2014- 8th (5.9)
2015- 11th (6.4)
2016- 6th (5.8)
2017- 9th (6)
2018- 30th (8.2)

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers have to improve in this area. The coaching staff better get ot fixed over the bye week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won’t get an argument from me. MM has been the most overrated HC in the NFL for years. As far as I’m concerned, he should have been fired after the epic collapse in Seattle. The team this year is totally undisciplined and unmotivated. The players own some of that, but the lion’s share of responsibility is on MM. I agree that’s not a popular opinion in this forum, but it’s my opinion. MM wouldn’t even make a good OC in this NFL. Anyway, I agree with you. Fortunately, I’m fairly certain this is his last year in GB. The game has simply passed him by.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'll get it tightened up here for the stretch
I’m optimistic as well. I think the players have more pride than their HC and will win in spite of him. Let’s face it, they were outplayed by the niners (and the Skins and Lions and even the Bears). The only reason they’re 2-2-1 is #12 and #17 and some stellar rookie WR play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2010- 5th (5 per game)
2011- 1st (4.7)
2012- 10th (6.1)
2013- 7th (5.2)
2014- 8th (5.9)
2015- 11th (6.4)
2016- 6th (5.8)
2017- 9th (6)
2018- 30th (8.2)
Wow thanks for these stats. Eye opening. The team thus far is simply flat. Little energy and zero emotion. I could excuse Brown’s taunting call, but the personal foul on Monday was inexcusable. That’s on the coaches as much as Brown. But I think they’ll surprise us after the bye. Why? Because they’re pros and will play for pride, coaching be damned. And they do have talent.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its all about pad level....seriously though those stats are startling....the hamburglar has been leading the troops for all of these...hmmmm....the great Bill Walsh once said, every coach in the NFL should be moving on and not spending more than 10 years with any one team...it gets stale...the fans get annoyed, the coach gets annoyed with the same locale...more true words have never been spoken in relation to what we have in Green Bay now...stale

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m optimistic as well. I think the players have more pride than their HC and will win in spite of him. Let’s face it, they were outplayed by the niners (and the Skins and Lions and even the Bears). The only reason they’re 2-2-1 is #12 and #17 and some stellar rookie WR play.
The skins is the only one I’d agree with. And MM has as much to do with this team’s success as anybody.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Players aren’t stupid, they all played college ball, and they sure know right from wrong, consistent dumb penalties are a problem of coaching, but it’s just the plain selfishness of a player putting himself above the team...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players aren’t stupid, they all played college ball, and they sure know right from wrong, consistent dumb penalties are a problem of coaching, but it’s just the plain selfishness of a player putting himself above the team...
Unfortunately i’m not sure that is true... I think some players truly are stupid lol.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The skins is the only one I’d agree with. And MM has as much to do with this team’s success as anybody.
There certainly are different opinions on how effective MM is as a HC. When the Packers got him from the niners 13 years ago he was well known for his creativity on offense. I agree with that and he did have early success as a HC, but just think the game has changed and MM hasn’t changed with it. There’s no right or wrong answer, and that’s why there are differences of opinion. If they continue to play the rest of the season the way they played the first 6 games, I expect he won’t be here next year. I’d much rather have them turn it around, win the SB, and under those circumstances, keep MM as HC. It’s probably fair to say that all of us would like that outcome!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers got him from the niners 13 years ago he was well known for his creativity on offense. I agree with that and he did have early success as a HC, but just think the game has changed and MM hasn’t changed with it. There’s no right or wrong answer, and that’s why there are differences of opinion. If they continue to play the rest of the season the way they played the first 6 games, I expect he won’t be here next year.
I've always liked and supported McCarthy. Lately though I feel like the league is going in a different direction than we are, and we're falling behind.

For any team that has Aaron Rodgers, if we don't make the playoffs that is a huge failure. So if we don't make the playoffs this year, you'd have to think McCarthy's seat would be getting awfully warm.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course they can't play the way they have in the first 6 games. They've been all over the place. Rodgers included. We've seen this offense shoot itself in almost every conceivable way so far this year. and it's been by the vets too. Sloppy oline play early. Rodgers missing in others, crucial at times. He's injured, I know, but if you're going to say we should always win with Rodgers, well then he shouldn't be missing like this either. I don't think that way, but it seems to be the consensus around here that Rodgers equals wins, then he needs to play like that quarterback. We can't have back to back games where he's taking a sack with at least 2 wide open receivers probably going all the way to the endzone on each play and blame it on the coach. We've had a guy like Cobb be a Bear killer, like we expect him to be. Then he comes back with a game in which he is responsible for basically 3 turnovers himself with easy 3rd down passes for a 1st and a fumble.

We've had dropped passes, poor play calls, poor play execution etc. About anything that could go wrong has at one point or another, but we've also seen an offense, when the QB is putting the ball where he's always been able to, and people are catching it, and the Oline is being respectable, it can put up 20 freaking points in a quarter. This offense isn't hitting on all cylinders that much is obvious, but I don't think they're being left anywhere. It's a slightly different offense than some others are running, but none of the other offenses are going to work when you're dropping the ball, not throwing to open receivers or turning it over. When this offense is going and not shooting itself in the damn leg every other play, they look pretty dang potent. I have zero doubt they can go point for point with a team like the Rams and we don't have a back like Gurley that can line it up and pound you like that and still be capable of ripping off the big plays.

The Rams are in a much, much different place than we are. They have a lot of young high round talent on that offense. They lose Kupp and only beat the Seahawks by 2? come on. I wonder how they'd look without Kupp, Goff on one leg and Gurley knocked out or knicked up. I wonder how they'd look with 2 of their top WR's out and a hobbled Goff?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's injured, I know, but if you're going to say we should always win with Rodgers, well then he shouldn't be missing like this either.
Of course you're not going to win every game with Rodgers, if you did we'd have eight straight Lombardis right now. But you should certainly win enough to make the playoffs. But it's not only that he's injured, he's missed practices, and that hurts the team also, the offense can't get into a rhythm. That should be worked out by the end of the year. True, there is a talent deficit on the team, but even so missing the playoffs would be a failure.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have a choice.

But do the coaches have the ability?

Fortunately, I’m fairly certain this is his last year in GB. The game has simply passed him by.

What was the reason for Mark Murphy changing the org structure. MM no longer reports to the GM - he reports to Murphy. I'm guessing Murphy doesn't want Gute to fire MM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you're not going to win every game with Rodgers, if you did we'd have eight straight Lombardis right now. But you should certainly win enough to make the playoffs. But it's not only that he's injured, he's missed practices, and that hurts the team also, the offense can't get into a rhythm. That should be worked out by the end of the year. True, there is a talent deficit on the team, but even so missing the playoffs would be a failure.
and those are all very valid reasons for not performing. I agree completely. I don't understand people's stance that this offense should just be rolling because we have Rodgers. You can't be great if you can't practice, and when you can practice if your main weapons aren't there it hurts. and when you have some young guys you need to get up to speed, you can expect on the fly learning moments that come up at bad times in a game.

There is so much that goes into winning these games and i think it sells everyone short and the work and commitment, etc when fans say, well we have Rodgers we should win. He certainly gives us a better chance than other QB's, but when he's playing more like other QB's than the one we paid 30 million dollars to, can we still make the same claim? I don't think we should be in the first place because there's so much more to winning a game, but that's me. He certainly looked great that last drive against the 9er's. Taking a sack and not seeing 2 wide open receivers did not.

Missing the playoffs would be a huge disappointment, because there is enough talent on this team to get there. I get long winded if you haven't noticed lol, but I guess my point is, Can we keep saying we should be in the playoffs because of Rodgers, when Rodgers hasn't looked like himself for a lot of this season and is certainly playing a role in the offenses shortcomings?

D

Deleted member 6794

MM wouldn’t even make a good OC in this NFL.

I'm sorry but that is plain and simple a stupid thing to say considering the Packers have featured one of the most prolific offenses over McCarthy's tenure.

First of all the Packers are 3-2-1. They weren't outplayed by the Bears or Lions.

I could excuse Brown’s taunting call, but the personal foul on Monday was inexcusable. That’s on the coaches as much as Brown.

That penalty was solely on Brown. Nothing the coaching staff can do about a player being that stupid.

the great Bill Walsh once said, every coach in the NFL should be moving on and not spending more than 10 years with any one team...it gets stale...the fans get annoyed, the coach gets annoyed with the same locale...more true words have never been spoken in relation to what we have in Green Bay now...stale

Once again, how do Belichick and the Patriots feel about that???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts