Packers trade McCray to Bills

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers receive a 2018 draft pick in return.

As reported on Profootballtalk.com:

The Packers announced a series of roster moves on Tuesday that leaves them with 76 players on the roster.

It appears the final move to get to the 75-man limit will come via a trade. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Packers will trade linebacker Lerentee McCray to Buffalo for an undisclosed draft pick.

McCray signed with the Packers in April after playing 24 games with the Broncos over the last two seasons. The Bills have lost linebackers Reggie Ragland and IK Enemkpali for the season and first-round pick Shaq Lawson is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury.

There’s been no word from the Packers or Bills about the trade at this point. The Packers did announce that they released wide receiver Harvey Binford and placed tight end Kennard Backman, running back John Crockett, center Jacob Flores, tight end Mitchell Henry and guard Josh Walker on injured reserve.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...erentee-mccray-to-bills-on-way-to-75-players/

McCray's trade possibly bodes well for Jayrone Elliott.....

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could also be in part of the good play of inside linebackers since I could see them wanting to keep both Thomas and Bradford.

Either way, signing a guy and trading him a few months later is a good deal.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the details of the trade.

This must mean that the Packers really like rookies Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell, Datone Jones' move to the outside, and Carl Bradford's development.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move. McCray was going to be cut anyway I bet. So getting a late round pick is a good thing. Probably going to be a 6th or 7th rounder. So we basically get a free pick for nothing since we were probably cutting him. But Buffalo didn't want to compete for him, so they probably called Ted.

With Ragland done for the season, it doesn't surprise me either.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2017 the Bills have (2) 5ths, (1) 6th and no 7th round draft picks... so I'm guessing the 2018 draft pick is their 7th. Would've been nice to trade our 6th for one of their 5ths in 2017, but that would've been a much richer deal for GB.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2017 the Bills have (2) 5ths, (1) 6th and no 7th round draft picks... so I'm guessing the 2018 draft pick is their 7th. Would've been nice to trade our 6th for one of their 5ths in 2017, but that would've been a much better deal for GB.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be surprised if it's more than a 7th, and there's a good chance it's conditional.

Anyhow, if they were going to release him anyway, it's better than nothing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This must mean that the Packers really like rookies Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell, Datone Jones' move to the outside, and Carl Bradford's development.

The Packers used McCray solely on the edge. Therefore the move doesn't indicate anything about how comfortable the team feels about the inside linebackers.

H

HardRightEdge

Good move. McCray was going to be cut anyway I bet. So getting a late round pick is a good thing. Probably going to be a 6th or 7th rounder. So we basically get a free pick for nothing since we were probably cutting him. But Buffalo didn't want to compete for him, so they probably called Ted.

With Ragland done for the season, it doesn't surprise me either.
I would suppose the pick has contingencies, such as McCray making the Bills roster and/or other considerations.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers used McCray solely on the edge. Therefore the move doesn't indicate anything about how comfortable the team feels about the inside linebackers.

It can if they feel their last inside linebackers are better players than their last OLB players. It's possible they were making room for Bradford and Thomas.

Or they were making room for another WR or Callahan.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw that the Bills cut Alameda Ta'amu, 6'-3" 348 lb. NT. Arians cut him in '14 (after returning from a torn ACL in '13) saying that "he ate himself out of the league". If the guy had anything left in him McCray for Ta'amu trade would've helped both teams :( . Even short term apparently Price is the better NT until Pennel returns from suspension.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes and no. The team feels comfortable about the inside linebackers which alleviates the need to move Matthews inside, thus adding a full-time outside linebacker to the roster. The quality of inside linebackers directly affected the depth at outside linebacker.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw that the Bills cut Alameda Ta'amu, 6'-3" 348 lb. NT. Arians cut him in '14 (after returning from a torn ACL in '13) saying that "he ate himself out of the league". If the guy had anything left in him McCray for Ta'amu trade would've helped both teams :( . Even short term apparently Price is the better NT until Pennel returns from suspension.

We can still sign Ta'amu and still keep the draft pick. Better move by Ted than trading for Ta'amu in the first place.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It can if they feel their last inside linebackers are better players than their last OLB players. It's possible they were making room for Bradford and Thomas.

Or they were making room for another WR or Callahan.

Possibly. But I expected the Packers to keep six outside linebackers all training camp long with either Elliott or McCray being released.

Yes and no. The team feels comfortable about the inside linebackers which alleviates the need to move Matthews inside, thus adding a full-time outside linebacker to the roster. The quality of inside linebackers directly affected the depth at outside linebacker.

The coaching staff planned all offseason to move Matthews back to the outside. I don't think adding Martinez played a major role in that decision.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what McCray was doing in the preseason. I don't think he was ahead of Peppers, Matthews, Perry or Datone. So far this offseason Elliot hasn't done much, but I didn't see McCray getting on the field much either. Elliot probably wasn't going to bring anything, so they traded the one that had a little value. Getting something for guys at the back of your rotation is cool, i'm not going to think too much about it though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked what McCray was doing in the preseason. I don't think he was ahead of Peppers, Matthews, Perry or Datone. So far this offseason Elliot hasn't done much, but I didn't see McCray getting on the field much either. Elliot probably wasn't going to bring anything, so they traded the one that had a little value. Getting something for guys at the back of your rotation is cool, i'm not going to think too much about it though.
Agree. It's great to have the Buffalo's of the world around. A little help here, a little help there. Would be great if they could swing one or two of those every year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly. But I expected the Packers to keep six outside linebackers all training camp long with either Elliott or McCray being released.

The coaching staff planned all offseason to move Matthews back to the outside. I don't think adding Martinez played a major role in that decision.

I respectfully disagree with you. I don't think decisions are that independent. In my opinion, the improvement at inside linebacker solidified the decision to move Matthews back to outside linebacker. If Nate Palmer was still running around as Packer, the coaches might have had to rethink moving Matthews back outside.

Members online

Latest posts