Packers to play Burnett as dime LB???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I like the idea.

I like it as well, especially as Burnett isn't a liability against the run while being fast enough to cover most running backs and tight ends in the passing game. He has to improve his tackling against pass catchers though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

hopefully this will help us in 3rd and long situations.

Mostly passes for a first down on third and long are completed to a wide receiver. Therefore the cornerbacks and not the dime linebacker are responsible for preventing these plays.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly passes for a first down on third and long are completed to a wide receiver. Therefore the cornerbacks and not the dime linebacker are responsible for preventing these plays.

sorry was thinking of nickel d backs not the dime lineback format.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something that gives me pause. Think of the great defenses; they knew who was starting, where they were playing, what defenses they were going to run. They dictated terms to the opponent, and knew what they were about. Here every year is one big experiment. Moving guys around, trying to find fits, cover wholes, etc. Makes me wonder.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something that gives me pause. Think of the great defenses; they knew who was starting, where they were playing, what defenses they were going to run. They dictated terms to the opponent, and knew what they were about. Here every year is one big experiment. Moving guys around, trying to find fits, cover wholes, etc. Makes me wonder.

I agree that staying with what works, in most cases, justifies the outcome; in another twist, trying a format that doesn't give good results also could show signs of reluctance to go with what works. hopefully packers are tweaking just enough to know what works and if it doesn't will go back to what they feel is best suited for this team.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's an interesting point of view. The Seahawks play a defensive scheme pretty easy to understand for everyone and have led the league in scoring for four consecutive seasons. Meanwhile the Packers, annually being one of the youngest teams in the league, use one of the most complex systems with mixing results.

I remember reading about Capers simplifying his scheme last season and the unit improved so hopefully the defense is headed in the right direction.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Capers has been trying this on for a few years now. Two years ago it was Sean Richardson being groomed for it. Last season was Micah Hyde's shot. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gunter worked into the role also.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it as well, especially as Burnett isn't a liability against the run while being fast enough to cover most running backs and tight ends in the passing game. He has to improve his tackling against pass catchers though.
Im remembering a different sentiment last year when i mentioned burnett or gunter playing ilb...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Im remembering a different sentiment last year when i mentioned burnett or gunter playing ilb...

Now you're already making things up about ideas you brought up in the past??? After doing a search on the forum I figured out that you didn't mention using either Burnett or Gunter at inside linebacker with a single word.

By the way there's a big difference suggesting to use a defensive back as a dime linebacker or play him there full time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I like it because it brings another defensive back on the field. My biggest complaint about the Burnett/Dix tandem is that they don't produce enough turnovers.

Burnett and Clinton-Dix have been involved in 17 turnover plays over the last two seasons including playoffs. While that for sure isn't a great number it's not terrible either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Burnett and Clinton-Dix have been involved in 17 turnover plays over the last two seasons including playoffs. While that for sure isn't a great number it's not terrible either.
It needs to get better, approximately 1 every two games is pretty mediocre imo, especially since neither one is intimidating opponents with their violence.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While DNA certainly has a point, the move doesn't give me too much pause. It is not unusual for a Safety to play in Nickel or Dime formations in the NB or DB slot. Regardless of who you have down there it needs to be someone who can cover, as well as flow side to side if the offense goes with a toss, off tackle, or sweep play and get off his blocks to make the tackle. It is not totally unfeasible to have a hybrid LB or tweener LB with speed play in the Nickel or Dime so a Safety can make sense. However the issue also raises the question of who is replacing him up top in the deep third or half. Quite frankly outside of CM3 and maybe eventually Martinez I can't trust any other LB to cover in the Dime.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now you're already making things up about ideas you brought up in the past??? After doing a search on the forum I figured out that you didn't mention using either Burnett or Gunter at inside linebacker with a single word.

By the way there's a big difference suggesting to use a defensive back as a dime linebacker or play him there full time.
Way to jump to a douschey conclusion. I didnt say i thought of it. But i did mention it as an option for ilb. As did some others i do believe. And you shot it down. Better re do your search.
Was it hyde i mentioned?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here you go. It was 228 pound rookie ss collins playing ilb. All the tweeners mentioned at one point or another.
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/landon-collins-seems-to-be-sliding-on-some-mocks.58779/page-2

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Way to jump to a douschey conclusion. I didnt say i thought of it. But i did mention it as an option for ilb. As did some others i do believe. And you shot it down. Better re do your search.
Was it hyde i mentioned?

Here you go. It was 228 pound rookie ss collins playing ilb. All the tweeners mentioned at one point or another.
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/landon-collins-seems-to-be-sliding-on-some-mocks.58779/page-2

There's a huge difference between suggesting Burnett to play dime linebacker on obvious passing downs (something you claimed to have done but never did) or advocating for the Packers to spend a first round pick on a player solely being used in that position.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It needs to get better, approximately 1 every two games is pretty mediocre imo, especially since neither one is intimidating opponents with their violence.

There's no denying Burnett and Clinton-Dix have been mediocre at best in creating turnovers during the regular season but Ha Ha has been spectacular in the playoffs snatching three interceptions in only four games so far.

However the issue also raises the question of who is replacing him up top in the deep third or half. Quite frankly outside of CM3 and maybe eventually Martinez I can't trust any other LB to cover in the Dime.

The Packers using Burnett as the dime linebacker would result in the defense not using another LB in that package. I guess that Hyde would replace him at one of the safety spots.

Members online

Latest posts