Packers | Thompson says Favre is not holding up the team

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LINK

Packers | Thompson says Favre is not holding up the team
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:47:46 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the idea that QB Brett Favre is holding the team hostage and forcing them to make the decision about his future is not true. However, Thompson admits Favre's indecision on whether to return next season has affected offseason operations. Thompson said he had a pretty good idea Favre wasn't going to announce his intentions at his charity golf tournament last weekend because Favre didn't call him to say he had made a decision on whether to retire. Asked if he thought Favre was trying to get the Packers to make the decision for him, Thompson said, "No. I think he's just working through it." Thompson said the only place he knows for sure Favre's uncertain status has affected the Packers is at the quarterback position. Had the Packers known right away that he was retiring; they could have gone after several free agent quarterbacks.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank god that cleared things up. im tired of people talking about favre is being selfish and holding the team hostage.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. TT said the exact same thing I have. The only place Brett is having an effect is at the QB position. If Brett would have decided to hang it up we would have went out and got a backup for A-Rod. Now Tro will come in here and say

"TT is just saying the right thing, but he does not mean it"

The only thing this whole thing has effected has the Packers possibly signing a backup QB. If Brett comes back its a mute point. I am glad we can put this to rest

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. TT said the exact same thing I have. The only place Brett is having an effect is at the QB position. If Brett would have decided to hang it up we would have went out and got a backup for A-Rod. Now Tro will come in here and say

The only thing this whole thing has effected has the Packers possibly signing a backup QB. If Brett comes back its a mute point. I am glad we can put this to rest

Something tells me that later this afternoon, right about the time school lets out, this won't be put to rest.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
pyledriver80 said:

Something tells me that later this afternoon, right about the time school lets out, this won't be put to rest.

:shock: = troms eyes when he sees this, then he will get :evil:

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are as ditzy as some of the girls I dated in High school. A general manager who is trying to get his hall of fame qb to come back for one more season is not going to bad mouth him to the media no matter how he really feels. He's going to tell the media whatever he thinks Brett wants to hear knowing if he says something negative it will get back to him. Some article said Brett was going to retire just from the pressure when the management kissed his *** into reconsidering. Remember, Until we signed Kitna, Joey Harrington was for sure the qb in detroit. The new coaching staff loved his skills and toughness when they were unsure about picking up a qb in free agency. After the lion's signed kitna and mccown Coach Marinelli said the team was moving in a different direction. They had to keep Harrington happy though in case there were no other options.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shut up..Liar's fan...

Your team will still STINK this year! :shock:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
You guys are as ditzy as some of the girls I dated in High school. A general manager who is trying to get his hall of fame qb to come back for one more season is not going to bad mouth him to the media no matter how he really feels. He's going to tell the media whatever he thinks Brett wants to hear knowing if he says something negative it will get back to him. Some article said Brett was going to retire just from the pressure when the management kissed his *** into reconsidering. Remember, Until we signed Kitna, Joey Harrington was for sure the qb in detroit. The new coaching staff loved his skills and toughness when they were unsure about picking up a qb in free agency. After the lion's signed kitna and mccown Coach Marinelli said the team was moving in a different direction. They had to keep Harrington happy though in case there were no other options.

That's because coach marinara is a liar! Besides the coach has no say. Unfortunately for Lions fans there is still a guy named Millen hanging around!

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
That's because coach marinara is a liar! Besides the coach has no say. Unfortunately for Lions fans there is still a guy named Millen hanging around!

wow, you're right. A head coach has no say in who his starting players are. Are you retarded or something? :crazy:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Hey big3, watch the name calling around here. This isn't Detroit you know !!!

agreed, winni - wtf happened to you big3?? you've been in a bad mood for awhile now - used to be respectful & liked having you on the site - lately though... :roll:

now back to the subject at hand...it really doesn't matter if you believe what TT says or not - common sense should tell you that favre's indecision has had little impact on the offseason. i understand he would have picked up a QB somewhere along the way but there apparently are still quite a few available. i'm sure TT is choosing his words carefully but to say he's outright lying? nah - kinda doubt it.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know how you know this isn't Detroit? Because you don't see any Bengals jersey's. Plus I still have my hubcaps.

Do yourself a favor and worry about Matt Millen and quit worrying about our QB spot. What do people in Detroit know about QB's anywway?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT isn't saying the right thing, he's saying the ONLY thing he can say.

He's the one that made the decision to wait. Right or wrong. So what's he supposed to say "My letting Bret wait was my decision but it's coming back to bite me in the *** now"? I don't think you'll ever hear that out of TT.

The point about it affecting "only the QB position" aint no small matter either. The QB position is only the most important position there is so how can it be.

It's amazing how much affect knowing what we know and not knowing has on things.

IF, Bret had just said "I'm done", we would have added, what, $7.6 mil to the cofer. Does anyone here think maybe just a little bit that knowing Bret was out a here, we wouldn't have made a run at Brees.

NOT knowing if he was or wasn't pretty much made it a mute point.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think we'd have gone after a "brees" QB anyway. rodgers appears to be TT's idea of the packers future so we'd be looking for a back-up QB at best & it looks like there are still a few of them available.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT isn't saying the right thing, he's saying the ONLY thing he can say.

He's the one that made the decision to wait. Right or wrong. So what's he supposed to say "My letting Bret wait was my decision but it's coming back to bite me in the *** now"? I don't think you'll ever hear that out of TT.

The point about it affecting "only the QB position" aint no small matter either. The QB position is only the most important position there is so how can it be.

It's amazing how much affect knowing what we know and not knowing has on things.

IF, Bret had just said "I'm done", we would have added, what, $7.6 mil to the cofer. Does anyone here think maybe just a little bit that knowing Bret was out a here, we wouldn't have made a run at Brees.

NOT knowing if he was or wasn't pretty much made it a mute point.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oops. Clicked on it twice. Sorry about that.

4packGirl, I hear you but they also said they haven't ruled out a QB in the draft. Until they know what they have with Rodgers they will be looking for some options.

The list I saw doesn't do anything for me at this point. That's for sure.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's ok, hawk. it's weird that my post ended up between your two posts, huh?!?

i heard about them not ruling out drafting a qb but i think the key words are "not ruling out". i'd think that just about any team going into the draft wouldn't "rule out" drafting a player at any given position. i guess we'll find out soon how serious they were about that & many other statements they've made this off-season.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got so used to people insulting me just for being a lion's fan I started getting defensive pretty quick, sorry about that. My point is you have an unproven qb in Rodgers. You now need TWO qbs just to fill the roster if Favre retires. The chance of one of them being a consistant veteran if Rodgers can't hack it is getting slimmer by the day. If Favre waits until the last minute to retire, you are left either drafting 2 rookies, or drafting a rookie and signing a no name veteran. Either way it will not be good for the team.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have this Tom Arth dude that nobody's heard of for 3rd string so we would just need a solid veteran number 2 like Kerry Collins or the 75 year old vinny testaverde.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Big3's feeling froggy Chick because he thinks his team is going to DO SOMETHING this year...

BWWAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

....they're gonna do something alright..They're gonna take their beating like the red-headed step-children that they are when the Pack opens up their annual can of WHOOOOOP-***...on them...HELL YEAH!

...and THEY'LL LIKE IT!

(that's if TT stops screwin' around so Favre could come back already....)

Members online

Latest posts