Packers sign cb Beene Benwikere

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't compare TT and the Packers to BB and the Patsies when it comes to player acquisition at all. If the Patsies needed a corner I can almost guarantee you they would have traded for Joe Hayden ...or signed Cromartie. If TT needs a player?? he will pick every player off the practice squad or another teams practice squad before he looks elsewhere. This is a perfect example. If the Packers don't win Sunday and get shredded then I will blame it on TT. I would actually give Capers a pass because it's not his fault that he's ask to make ribeye steak with Chuck ground beef.

I agree. I'm sick of watching the likes of Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Ryan getting torched. I don't give a Damm if they have " potential" to develop. Now ( Meaning the prime of one of the best QB's ever) isn't the time for allowing players to "grow" on D. You go out and sign an established impact player to help win more championships. Other teams have injuries on the defensive side of the ball ( Ala Shields). It doesn't mean they blow an 18 point lead in a game where your HOF QB is on fire.

I hold TT and Murphy responsible. TT because he's the reason we are what we are defensively. Murphy because I'm wondering if he even holds TT accountable. Does he ask TT questions? Does he ever give input? What does the man do besides promote Lambeau field & atrium type stuff?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I'm sick of watching the likes of Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Ryan getting torched. I don't give a Damm if they have " potential" to develop. Now ( Meaning the prime of one of the best QB's ever) isn't the time for allowing players to "grow" on D. You go out and sign an established impact player to help win more championships. Other teams have injuries on the defensive side of the ball ( Ala Shields). It doesn't mean they blow an 18 point lead in a game where your HOF QB is on fire.

I hold TT and Murphy responsible. TT because he's the reason we are what we are defensively. Murphy because I'm wondering if he even holds TT accountable. Does he ask TT questions? Does he ever give input? What does the man do besides promote Lambeau field & atrium type stuff?
and i'm sick of people not being able to take into account EVERYTHING that happens in football. So they cut someone else and bring in your "established impact player" like everyone clamors for every single ****ing year. I still thank God we never signed a guy like Rolando McClain a few years ago or and watch guys like Daniels and BahkT go somewhere else because we don't have the money to extend them. So they sign this impact player and he ends up injured and inactive for much of the year like Rollins, or has in season surgery like Randall. You tell me what impact he has.

It takes some luck in this league, we haven't had it back there this year. and still, June, July, August, and into September, everyone thought DB was the strongest position on the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm absolutely fine with Murphy not intervening in roster decisions at all. That is Thompson's job.

It takes some luck in this league, we haven't had it back there this year. and still, June, July, August, and into September, everyone thought DB was the strongest position on the team.

No reasonable Packers fan would criticize Thompson for not upgrading the cornerback position during the offseason. Whole different story during the season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if a guy was available for a 3rd or 4th round pick that would have been worth it, i'd criticize too. Until then it's just speculation that a man known for his work ethic and picking guys up all over including trades and FA and off scrap heaps, was not still working hard looking for someone. He does and I trust his decisions. in a league where trades rarely happen in the offseason and are even more rare in season, i'm not going to act like all he had to do was pick up the phone and get someone worth it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Until then it's just speculation that a man known for his work ethic and picking guys up all over including trades and FA and off scrap heaps, was not still working hard looking for someone.

You're joking, right???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're joking, right???
are you saying he's never made a trade? or picked up a FA? there's a difference between signing 10 a year and using it selectively and using it not at all. The fact that he has made trades, has signed FA's and has largely avoided signing busts to FA or trade contracts tells me he's selective. I'm fine with that. But don't insinuate that the man doesn't work harder than most anyone else in this league. I'm confident if there was a trade to be made, he would have done it. But this again assumes the coaches were wanting more, were saying our young guys can't do it. this assumes a team that believes in itself didn't. This assumes another team had a player worth going after. It assumes the other team was willing to give him up for a price that was reasonable or close to it.

How many in season trades are made in any given year more than a quarter of the way thru the season?

D

Deleted member 6794

are you saying he's never made a trade? or picked up a FA? there's a difference between signing 10 a year and using it selectively and using it not at all.

There's absolutely no doubt that Thompson is more averse to using free agency and trades to improve the roster than any other GM in the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt that Thompson is more averse to using free agency and trades to improve the roster than any other GM in the league.
That wasn't my point. We can exclude FA because during the FA period, DB was not a concern at all. Now on to trades. He has made trades, so I don't believe for a second that if a reasonable one were available to be made he wouldn't have. I don't believe he wasn't looking for a way to improve this team. It is my contention that by that time in the season the probability of any GM finding that guy at DB via trade was minescule at best. Rarely are there trades in th offseason let alone a quarter to half way thru. Even less so involving any solid players that don't have some kind of baggage.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now on to trades. He has made trades, so I don't believe for a second that if a reasonable one were available to be made he wouldn't have. I don't believe he wasn't looking for a way to improve this team. It is my contention that by that time in the season the probability of any GM finding that guy at DB via trade was minescule at best. Rarely are there trades in th offseason let alone a quarter to half way thru. Even less so involving any solid players that don't have some kind of baggage.

I would have been fine with Thompson overpaying to acquire a solid cornerback in a trade during the season as it would have drastically improve the Packers chances to win the Super Bowl. It's for sure not easy to pull off a move like that but that's why TT is paid several million bucks a year.

I guarantee that Belichick woukd have found a way to adequately inprove his roster.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is the Giants are planning to release Dominique Rogers Cromartie in the off season to clear some cap space. They signed Jenkins to a huge deal, and Eli Apple is a former first round pick who's ready to step into that #2 slot... plus they have a ton of money tied into Vernon, and Collins will get a huge payday after next season. DRC is still young and he's a gifted athlete with 4.3 speed and over 6 feet tall. This is definitely the type of guy to man the corner that TT should go after. I'm sure Shields will be released so tie some of that money into DRC. He's a versatile corner who can play on the outside or the inside. Not to many corners can do that. Not only like that..he can run with any wr in the NFL and won't get handled by bigger WRs. This then allows the need for another pass rusher or RB to be taken in the first.
We don't need another injury prone CB. I don't care how good a guy is when he's healthy. If he's not on the field, he's worth nothing. No thanks.

D

Deleted member 6794

We don't need another injury prone CB. I don't care how good a guy is when he's healthy. If he's not on the field, he's worth nothing. No thanks.

DRC has missed only six games during his nine year career in the NFL, hardly justifies calling him injury prone.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're joking, right???
Lol, Thompson has been binging on free agents this year. Cook, Davis, Schum, Michael. He's probably having spasms and foaming at the mouth from all that free agent activity.:)

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, Thompson has been binging on free agents this year. Cook, Davis, Schum, Michael. He's probably having spasms and foaming at the mouth from all that free agent activity.:)

Cook is the only one having a huge impact for the team. Thompson successfully addressing the tight end position with a free agent should actually work as evidence that it's possible to use it in a smart way and lead to TT to sign more veteran players from other teams in the future.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
May be true. Haven't seen the numbers comparing the 32 GM's. Finding the win/loss records of the 32 would probably be easier to research.

D

Deleted member 6794

May be true. Haven't seen the numbers comparing the 32 GM's. Finding the win/loss records of the 32 would probably be easier to research.

As I've posted before Thompson's approach has been extremely successful but unfortunately as well the main reason for the Packers having only won a single Super Bowl during his tenure despite having two HOF quarterbacks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I live about an hour away from Stillwater where Gilbert played collegiate ball. Just like Justin Blackmon the kid is never going to figure it out. When he was drafted so high I thought it perfectly fitting it was none other than the Browns that chose him. His work ethic is non existent. He's a malcontent and not a guy you want in the locker room. I'm all for second chances but at this point the dye has been cast. I'd rather have TBuck at his current age than this kid. Sad to see wasted talent because this kid had star written all over him. He even had a pro's pro to learn under in Joe Haden. No thanks.
Many posters here don't care about things like work ethic and malcontents and locker room chemistry as long as he has a recognizable name and significant draft status. That's what makes bottom feeders what they are. Sign junk to bad contracts and just keep churning that roster and throw in more garbage every few weeks.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Cook is the only one having a huge impact for the team.
I"d give him credit for Schum too. Since he's arrived and settled in, punting has not been a conversation piece. In a perfect world, you't only need the punter to placehold on XPs. That said he's been a decent find.

D

Deleted member 6794

I"d give him credit for Schum too. Since he's arrived and settled in, punting has not been a conversation piece. In a perfect world, you't only need the punter to placehold on XPs. That said he's been a decent find.

True, Schum has worked out pretty well but I don't consider a punter a huge impact player.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's been a very pleasant surprise. His mediocre track record didn't lead me to expect much.

Members online

Latest posts