Packers sign cb Beene Benwikere

D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, Rollins and Randall must have sucked their first year in the NFL.

I think what you're seeing are two guys with talent, going through a terrible sophomore slump combined with injuries, and a GM that sees enough upside that he would rather force them to learn instead of throwing two players in the garbage heap. Capers has worked some miracles to hold the defense together, and no matter what your stance on all of this the simple fact remains that this team as a whole is good enough to play in the NFCCG.

I haven't seen a single poster suggesting to cut either Randall or Rollins but to add another veteran cornerback after Shields went down to inprove the team's chances to win the Super Bowl this season.

you know when the Capt. goes searching for states, he only looks for the ones he likes :)

I'm sorry that I prefer to use information from an independent website that analyzes every single snap played in the league and used by several teams over "because Mondio said so...".

What did Rollins rate? What did PFF rate the packers going into the season, Rollins and Randall included? What was his 69.4 ranking last season, the same season he was given it for. According to PFF they rather liked them, despite your taking last years ranking and applying it to this years stats. and besides that was his ROOKIE season. no reason to think he'd get better I guess. Probably topped out.

Unfortunately PFF doesn't offer a ranking of last year's performance anymore. I replied to your assumption that Rollins had an impressive rookie season, I didn't mention anything about him not being able to improve or having topped out, therefore it would be extremely nice if you didn't put any words in my mouth.

Regarding PFF's offseason rankings of cornerbacks groups it seems you have significant troubles with reading comprehension. I never criticized Thompson for not addressing the secondary during the offseason as it was a perceived strength entering week 1. I even repeatedly mentioned it was the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency.

PFF's ranking of the league's secondaries reflects that pretty much as the Packers had the fifth best unit in September according to them.

But, after week 7 the Packers had dropped to 28th in this ranking making it pretty obvious to everyone the secondary was in need of a dire upgrade.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-entering-week-7/

Thompson standing pat at that point is what I have been criticizing for several months and nothing you say will change my mind about it being a terrible decision.

and last year PFF had Haden as one of the WORST corners in the league when he played.

ESPN has Haden listed as one of the top 10 biggest disappointments of THIS year. but he's the guy we keep seeing we should have traded for. I have no opinion, I can't say the Browns are a team i watched once this year. But he doesn't sound like a guy i even want to take on the salary for, let alone give up draft picks.

Haden struggled over the past two seasons but performed on a similar level as Shields during his first five years in the league. It's possible a trade to a contender would have resulted in improved play by him again.

BTW he was just an example as I've mentioned several times that there's no way to know for any fan who might have been available.

I've never realized that Thompson's MO was to not work at improving the team. He must have had weak moments when he picked up Cook, Schum, Davis and Michael.

Unfortunately it took Thompson several years to finally adequately address the tight end position. Interestingly he did it via free agency, something a lot of us have been advocating for years.

It would have been nice if we had just kept what we had. Casey Hayward could have been kept at a decent price. He had a great year and would have been our number one when Shields went down.

It was the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency this offseason as the secondary was a perceived strength even without him.

It's too bad shut down corners are hard to find and now TT has to do it again after Shields went down.

Hopefully, he can find another, but if he does it will likely take a few seasons.

I know it's hard to believe but it's actually possible to sign a veteran free agent and immediately address the need for a shutdown cornerback. Especially as the Packers will save $9 million in cap space by releasing Shields.

I don't think Hayward would of made an appreciable difference on this team this year.

You're joking, right???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my reading comprehension is just fine. you can simplify your answer and just say, "I find stats i like so people believe Ted should just find a guy, because the Capt. said so. None of the other 10,000 variables matter, because I said so."

D

Deleted member 6794

my reading comprehension is just fine. you can simplify your answer and just say, "I find stats i like so people believe Ted should just find a guy, because the Capt. said so. None of the other 10,000 variables matter, because I said so."

Let me ask you a simple question, do you think the Packers chances of winning the Super Bowl this season would have improved by adding a decent veteran cornerback at the trade deadline???

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you not remember how awful Casey was the last few years? In this defense he became slow and soft. He could not tackle to save his life, guys ran past him routinely and lovat couldn't keep his hamstring in one piece for more than a few weeks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask you a simple question, do you think the Packers chances of winning the Super Bowl this season would have improved by adding a decent veteran cornerback at the trade deadline???
of course it would have.

D

Deleted member 6794

of course it would have.

Well, it's Thompson's job to provide an upgrade like adding a cornerback if the team is in need of onIe. I'm well aware of the fact that it's tough to pull off a move like that during the season but that's why he's paid several millions a year to work something out. He failed in doing so though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you not remember how awful Casey was the last few years? In this defense he became slow and soft. He could not tackle to save his life, guys ran past him routinely and lovat couldn't keep his hamstring in one piece for more than a few weeks.

PFF had Hayward rated as the Packers best cornerback last season. Once again, that doesn't change the fact it was the right decision to let him walk in free agency this offseason.

In hindsight it's ridiculous to argue he wouldn't have helped the Packers secondary in 2016 though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen a single poster suggesting to cut either Randall or Rollins but to add another veteran cornerback after Shields went down to inprove the team's chances to win the Super Bowl this season.

I'm sorry that I prefer to use information from an independent website that analyzes every single snap played in the league and used by several teams over "because Mondio said so...".

Unfortunately PFF doesn't offer a ranking of last year's performance anymore. I replied to your assumption that Rollins had an impressive rookie season, I didn't mention anything about him not being able to improve or having topped out, therefore it would be extremely nice if you didn't put any words in my mouth.

Regarding PFF's offseason rankings of cornerbacks groups it seems you have significant troubles with reading comprehension. I never criticized Thompson for not addressing the secondary during the offseason as it was a perceived strength entering week 1. I even repeatedly mentioned it was the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency.

PFF's ranking of the league's secondaries reflects that pretty much as the Packers had the fifth best unit in September according to them.

But, after week 7 the Packers had dropped to 28th in this ranking making it pretty obvious to everyone the secondary was in need of a dire upgrade.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-entering-week-7/

Thompson standing pat at that point is what I have been criticizing for several months and nothing you say will change my mind about it being a terrible decision.

Haden struggled over the past two seasons but performed on a similar level as Shields during his first five years in the league. It's possible a trade to a contender would have resulted in improved play by him again.

BTW he was just an example as I've mentioned several times that there's no way to know for any fan who might have been available.

Unfortunately it took Thompson several years to finally adequately address the tight end position. Interestingly he did it via free agency, something a lot of us have been advocating for years.

It was the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency this offseason as the secondary was a perceived strength even without him.

I know it's hard to believe but it's actually possible to sign a veteran free agent and immediately address the need for a shutdown cornerback. Especially as the Packers will save $9 million in cap space by releasing Shields.

You're joking, right???

Shut down corners aren't going to be plentiful during free agency.

Even using free agency, it still won't be easy to find one.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, it should be possible to find a #1 cornerback though capable of helping to develop Randall, Rollins and Gunter as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perhaps meaningless to note, but I often see minor nuances keep an argument going - WIMM talked about obtaining a 'veteran' corner, you a 'shut down' corner. Different animals.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, had to sort through a couple of 'veteran' references to get there, although in my defense,
he uses both modifiers. :)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be a plethora of corners on the market at seasons end. Then there will be some unexpectedly cut to clear cap space for their respective teams. Don't be shocked to see names like Dominique Rodgers Cromartie and Darrelle Revis, and Joe Haden thrown around either. I can almost guarantee one of the three will be outright released. You think Jerry Jones is going to sit on his hands waiting on draft picks to turn into pro bowlers? I think not. The Cowboys defense mainly the secondary is keeping them from beating the Packers. He will draft a corner and sign one in Free agency. Can't say the same for Teddy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Haden was one possibility.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-haden-sheldon-richardson-on-the-trade-block

Telling Captain, myself or anyone that because you think it couldn't happen or it didn't happen isn't really proving that it couldn't have or shouldn't have. Trades are not as common in the NFL as they once were, but they still occur.

BTW.....here is a list of 2016 Trades that occurred.

http://nfltraderumors.co/list-completed-2016-nfl-trades/

Not seeing any starting caliber corners on that list. I never said NO trades happened.

And the burden of proof isn't on me to prove that the team couldn't have traded, it's on the supposed conviction that the team could have traded. History of the NFL doesn't show many starting corners traded during the season, that's a fact and no amount of hoping changes that. As for the Haden rumor...It should probably tell you something about that rumor's validity that neither Haden nor Richardson were traded.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad shut down corners are hard to find and now TT has to do it again after Shields went down.

Hopefully, he can find another, but if he does it will likely take a few seasons.

Or, just maybe, we could all learn from the Davante Adams freak out last year and realize that second year players can STILL IMPROVE! Randall and Rollins aren't finished products.

D

Deleted member 6794

And the burden of proof isn't on me to prove that the team couldn't have traded, it's on the supposed conviction that the team could have traded. History of the NFL doesn't show many starting corners traded during the season, that's a fact and no amount of hoping changes that. As for the Haden rumor...It should probably tell you something about that rumor's validity that neither Haden nor Richardson were traded.

You understand that none of the posters around are able to prove that Thompson could have traded for a cornerback as he didn't, don't you??? There's no doubt he should have traded for one though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or, just maybe, we could all learn from the Davante Adams freak out last year and realize that second year players can STILL IMPROVE! Randall and Rollins aren't finished products.

There's no doubt that Randall and Rollins are capable of bouncing back and improve their performance next season. That's why I haven't seen any poster suggesting to release one of them.

Unfortunately that doesn't improve the Packers chances to cover the Falcons receivers tomorrow though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You understand that none of the posters around are able to prove that Thompson could have traded for a cornerback as he didn't, don't you??? There's no doubt he should have traded for one though.

Yes, and he should have traded for a terrific pass rusher, an elite RB and stud ILB also...I mean, if we're just creating a Madden scenario here.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Randall and Rollins are capable of bouncing back and improve their performance next season. That's why I haven't seen any poster suggesting to release one of them.

Unfortunately that doesn't improve the Packers chances to cover the Falcons receivers tomorrow though.

Uhmmm, my post was in response to someone saying it might take seasons to replace Shields. Had nothing to do with the Falcons game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, and he should have traded for a terrific pass rusher, an elite RB and stud ILB also...I mean, if we're just creating a Madden scenario here.

The Packers had sufficient cap space to trade for a veteran cornerback. As I've mentioned before there was no magic necessary to acquire one but most likely only Thompson willing to give up one of his precious draft picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure they can improve. They can also not. My problem is with players that tease me, i.e., make me think we've got a particular position covered, when we don't, ala Lacy. Started last year thinking what unimpressive resumes our top two draft picks had, then was pleasantly surprised to think that, maybe, CB isn't a problem, then this season's performance.

The other thing is that this is a sports forum. It just isn't oriented toward 'R-E-L-A-X and wait it out'. The leash is extremely short because our opinions don't count, except within the confines of the thread/forum.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes he failed, in the same way everyone else, every single day fails to pull off the highly unlikely.
There will be a plethora of corners on the market at seasons end. Then there will be some unexpectedly cut to clear cap space for their respective teams. Don't be shocked to see names like Dominique Rodgers Cromartie and Darrelle Revis, and Joe Haden thrown around either. I can almost guarantee one of the three will be outright released. You think Jerry Jones is going to sit on his hands waiting on draft picks to turn into pro bowlers? I think not. The Cowboys defense mainly the secondary is keeping them from beating the Packers. He will draft a corner and sign one in Free agency. Can't say the same for Teddy.
of course Jerry won't. Should we run our team more like him?

I do hope we bring someone in, won't be surprised when we don't and all the agnst everyone will certainly display all offseason long will disappear when our young guys get healthy and play well and some other scenario arises during the season that will take all their focus to complain about :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Nobody that I have seen is talking about trading for an elite pass rusher, RB or ILB mid season. This was about did TT try to improve the CB position.

Your responses make it sound like there is never trading done in the NFL, thus it was impossible for TT to do so for a CB. That argument just doesn't hold water. I assume you are also under the impression that a trade wasn't necessary?

Wouldn't it just be easier to say "Obviously, TT either didn't see the need to trade for a CB or couldn't strike a deal for one". Saying that it can't or isn't done, goes against what has been done in the NFL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

yes he failed, in the same way everyone else, every single day fails to pull off the highly unlikely.

I disagree it would have been close to impossible to pull off a trade for a veteran cornerback.