Packers rumored to be in talks with Houston for #1 pick.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's being discussed on the PackerChatter boards right now, was wondering if this had been brought to your attention. What do you all think?

I personally don't like it. Their supposedly discussing giving away J-Walk, our 5th Pick this year, a 1st, two more selections, a 2nd this year and possibly a 4th in 2007. I really don't think it's worth it.

Also, assuming this trade would work, who would we draft? Bush I would imagine, but do you think he is worth all that is reportedly being talked?

I don't.

Thoughts, opinions, takes?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I can't believe that if the rumor is true, the ransom for the top pick would be that high.

I also wonder why we would be so intersted in that pick. I was and still am a huge supporter of Bush, but now with Ahman back it makes less sense. Not no sense, but less sense.

I'm also a big Rodgers supporter, so I wouldn't want to trade up for a QB.

I'm very happy to stay at #5. Mario or AJ. I'm okay with either one.

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I can't believe that if the rumor is true, the ransom for the top pick would be that high.

I also wonder why we would be so intersted in that pick. I was and still am a huge supporter of Bush, but now with Ahman back it makes less sense. Not no sense, but less sense.

I'm also a big Rodgers supporter, so I wouldn't want to trade up for a QB.

I'm very happy to stay at #5. Mario or AJ. I'm okay with either one.

I think I'm getting the same vibe, matt, the ransom seemed high, but those were the numbers I got off of the semireputable source. (Packerchatters)

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
mattresell said:
I think I'm getting the same vibe, matt, the ransom seemed high, but those were the numbers I got off of the semireputable source. (Packerchatters)
We re-signed Ahman to a one-year deal, right? And since everyone wants JWalk out of there, too, JWalk + Ahman = number one + player/another draft pick.

EDIT oh and
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
on the whole situation

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
It's being discussed on the PackerChatter boards right now, was wondering if this had been brought to your attention. What do you all think?

I personally don't like it. Their supposedly discussing giving away J-Walk, our 5th Pick this year, a 1st, two more selections, a 2nd this year and possibly a 4th in 2007. I really don't think it's worth it.

Also, assuming this trade would work, who would we draft? Bush I would imagine, but do you think he is worth all that is reportedly being talked?

I don't.

Thoughts, opinions, takes?

Based on what I saw on PackerChatters, it was just speculation on what it would take to move up to #1. I don't think there are any reports that the packers are in talks with Houston for the #1 pick.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
If TT makes that trade he should be fired immediately. That is absolutely absurd.
Well said.

Besides TT loves to collect draft picks not give them away. No way this is even being considered.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, rav. TT will bring in a zillion guys, and make lots of cuts. he's into drafting to build the team, not trading/free agency. he guards those draft picks like the leprechaun guards his gold.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course T.T. has spoken to Houston. He should be fired if he is not talking to at least every team in the top half of the draft about what value they are placing on their picks and gauging their interest in possible moves up or down.

Houston rebuked a very good offer from Denver, I doubt that the Packers can afford to pull of the trade to get Bush -- I am not even sure that they should if they could afford it.

But like I said, Thompson better be in talks with everyone around trades up or down -- that is the only way to operate as an effective GM in the NFL unless your team is already loaded (which the Packers are NOT).

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Why the devil would GB want Bush when they have three, actually four RB's on the roster that have shown some abilities. To make that kind of trade would decimate the team for the forseeable future. Try to remember that next year the pack will need every draft selection they can lay their hands on if they want to continue to improve across the board. Too much for one player is NOT the way to build a team.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i agree, rav. TT will bring in a zillion guys, and make lots of cuts. he's into drafting to build the team, not trading/free agency. he guards those draft picks like the leprechaun guards his gold.

and thats how we ended up with guys like Brady Poppinga, Mike Hawkins, Will Whitticker, Mike Montgomery--he got some value out of late round picks. We got two compensation picks, we're up to seven...I don't know if we trade down from the #5 spot, but we have early position in every round, and may try to move down to get some more picks, I have a feeling

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be great deal! (from a Bears' viewpoint)

Seriously, I think RBs are the most overrated skill players on the field. It really depends on the O-line how well a RB performs.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me get this straight:

Jwalk...Our 1st pick this year---2 more firsts---(3) fourth round picks---(2) fifth rounders...(4) sevenths---a few players off our practive squad---six Favre signed footballs---and a parchridge in a pear tree...lol...jk.

Damn...No thanks. This rumor may be true...but it's more of what the Texans have been doing and will continue to do...Look for something insane in return...Not get it...and then draft Bush as planned.

Don't over-think TT, draft Mario, and if he's not there, draft Hawk. Done.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The example is the Vikings screw up giving a boatload of picks and players for Herschel Walker.

Mortgaging the future on one skinny little running back whose production last year is equal to Herron in his senior year in receiving and 20% more than Herron in rushing is nuts. You don't give up more than 2 players for any one guy. A Murphy type collision can wash those picks and players down the drain and McCarthy would be in a Bart Starr coaching position inherited after the Hadl and Del Gazo trades(2 1st round picks 4 2nd round picks and a third round pick on 2 QB's gone in 2 years).

If you honestly want Bush, compare his numbers to Herron and consider whether you really would pay so much for him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/herron_noah

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/pr ... rId=145158

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree........i think someone started a rumor, just to see how long it would take to get around.
Looks like it worked!!! :lol: