Packers reach deal with Finley

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that works out to about 50k per drop right?

Jk, it's a great deal for both sides. Good job TT. But this makes you wonder, who gets the tag now? If at all

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good, gives him time and allows the Packers flexibility to either extend it next year or wait and give him the full 2 before going longer.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Awesome. I was thinking they'd give him a reasonable 2-3 year contract. Now it's time to deliver. I believe he will

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Dream scenario:
We trade Tag Flynn and trade him for a top 10 pick. With that pick, we draft a dynamic DE or OLB. Then Konz fall to us with our next pick to replace Wells.:tup:

I was just thinking the same thing. It's still a risk tagging Flynn but if it pays off, it FRIGGIN pays off.

If we get a top 10 pick for Flynn we have our choice of pretty much any defensive player on the board.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems 90% of Pack nation wanted him gone, but with this deal how can we not be cool with him back. Regardless of some late season crap, he's a great player, and we got him for a deal.

Reaction score
It seems 90% of Pack nation wanted him gone, but with this deal how can we not be cool with him back. Regardless of some late season crap, he's a great player, and we got him for a deal.
I believe the majority wanted him to stay, but the only people speaking were the ones that didn't like him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huge news! In addition to Miami, Seattle also needs a QB and their GM (John Schneider) has ties to the Packers.
Washington and Cleveland are both in the potential market. I think Wash will trade up for RG3.

I doubt we get a top 10 pick. I would not be surprised with Clevelands #23.

The big reason for signing Finley now (and only for 2 years) is to use the tag on Flynn. I would not be surprised if a deal is already in place.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Finley, but for what I assumed we'd have to pay him, I didn't want him back. I mean, really we're paying him a lot yearly, but it's a short contract, so we have some safety in it. If we payed him 7.5 a year over 5 years I would be nuts right now. But this way we give him the opportunity to play in his contract in a year, and then possibly resign him to a long term deal.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big reason for signing Finley now (and only for 2 years) is to use the tag on Flynn. I would not be surprised if a deal is already in place.

There's no deal in place. Would violate tampering rules, and that's something the NFL takes way too serious for TT to risk it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Tampering is talking to a player who is under contract. TT can chat with other GMs about what they would give up for Flynn.
There is also a section in the CBA against collusion between teams and dealing players. If he Packers make a deal with any team before tagging Flynn and having Flynn sign the tag other teams could cry collusion. The NFL would then come in and investigate all discussions between the two teams over the deal. Flynn has most of the power here if the Packers tag him. Sign right away and the Packers can deal him to anyone. Don't sign and negotiate with teams willing to give up draft picks for Flynn. The Packers don't have as much say as to were he goes as you might think. Remember, you can't trade a player that is not under contract.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
players, agents, general managers, and whomever talk all the time. They violate the rules all the time. I mean do you think Finleys agent didnt talk to other teams to see what kind of market there was before he agreed to the contract? Of course he did.

This is a great deal for both sides. For a guy we all question at times he has ever reason to work his *ss off in the next 2 years for that huge pay day.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is also a section in the CBA against collusion between teams and dealing players. If he Packers make a deal with any team before tagging Flynn and having Flynn sign the tag other teams could cry collusion. The NFL would then come in and investigate all discussions between the two teams over the deal. Flynn has most of the power here if the Packers tag him. Sign right away and the Packers can deal him to anyone. Don't sign and negotiate with teams willing to give up draft picks for Flynn. The Packers don't have as much say as to were he goes as you might think. Remember, you can't trade a player that is not under contract.
So TT casually asks "So, what do you think Flynn is worth in a trade" instead of "what will you offer". Then he has not discussed a trade, but everyone realizes what was implied. This happens every year and I have never seen so much as an eyebrow raised.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So TT casually asks "So, what do you think Flynn is worth in a trade" instead of "what will you offer". Then he has not discussed a trade, but everyone realizes what was implied. This happens every year and I have never seen so much as an eyebrow raised.
The other question is, do the Packers have the cap room to tag Flynn and be under the cap on March 13th? They can tag him but can't trade him until the 13th. They have to be under the cap on the 13th. A trade on the morning of the 13th is possible IF Flynn signs the contract. But a trade that fast with say a team like Miami would raise questions by other teams if they were not allowed to talk to the Packers about a possible trade.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other question is, do the Packers have the cap room to tag Flynn and be under the cap on March 13th? They can tag him but can't trade him until the 13th. They have to be under the cap on the 13th. A trade on the morning of the 13th is possible IF Flynn signs the contract. But a trade that fast with say a team like Miami would raise questions by other teams if they were not allowed to talk to the Packers about a possible trade.

If the Packers do not sign Wells, then they probably do. Obviously the dream scenario is tagging Flynn and trading him for a 1st rounder, allowing us to draft Konz at OC and a top defensive prospect. It's a pretty long shot though.

Re-signing Wells to a reasonable 3 or 4-year deal would be a good thing, but the indications coming out of the Wells' corner sound like troubled waters ahead. Signing a 31 year-old Wells to a 6.5 mill a year, 5 year deal is just not worth it. If Wells wants that kind of pay-day, I'd just as soon give that kind of contract to a 25 year-old Carl Nicks and wave bye-bye to Wells.