Packers ranked 9th in games lost to injuries

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not complaining at all on this end. While we lost Jordy and Barrington for the season, the other injuries sustained throughout the season seemed a lot less devastating then what other teams had to endure or what we have faced in previous seasons.

I am curious with the AGL and if it only takes into account players on the 53 man roster when the season begins? Which if it does, Jordy's lost games would not be included.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering we were an OT away from going to back to back NFCCGs, I'd say we made out pretty well with our "crappy" team. :rolleyes:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did someone actually refer to the team in those terms? I'm in the camp that says it's a good team and hence under-performing for exactly the reason you mention, but I don't find 'crappy' in the thread.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I am curious with the AGL and if it only takes into account players on the 53 man roster when the season begins? Which if it does, Jordy's lost games would not be included.

As far as I understand it players that are lost for the year before the start of the season are included in their metric.

Here's an explanation of how AGL works:

These numbers do not simply add up the number of games missed. With Football Outsiders' adjusted games lost (AGL) metric, we are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, replacement starters, and important situational reserves (No. 3 wide receiver, nickelback, etc.) matter more than injuries to bench warmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is based not strictly on whether the player is active for the game or not, but instead is based on the player's listed status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable or probable).

Considering we were an OT away from going to back to back NFCCGs, I'd say we made out pretty well with our "crappy" team. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about the Packers being a crappy team???

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think you might include something like that next time - would help those of us who don't otherwise know.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing 3 things on Packer Boards for as long as I've been on a Packer Board #1... We've got one of the youngest rosters in the league #2.... We just got unlucky with injuries (boo hoo), and #3 (my personal favorite) ...{fill in the blank} is going to get in the weight room this off season and be a BEAST next year....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here´s a breakdown of adjusted games lost by position:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost-unit

According to Football Outsiders´ Adjusted Games Lost metric the Packers suffered a lot of injuries at wide receiver (fourth highest AGL) as well as at linebacker (third highest AGL). On the other hand the team was healthy at quarterback (sixth fewest AGL), tight end (fewest AGL), the defensive line (eighth fewest AGL) and in the secondary (fifth fewest AGL).

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson hurt. Cobbs seperated shoulder early on messed up plan B. Cobb rupturing the lung making the circus grab in the divisional loss was a season changer as well... Adams chokes, and Montgomery breaks out. And as soon as we lean on him, his ankle goes. Back to Adams... Adams gets the confidence back, has a break out game, and bam, RR lands on his leg, and he's out...... Quarless too. He was basicly gone all year.

Our Oline had a similar injury history, although not as bad. But it definately hurt our protection, and run attack. Hurt bad. As in we couldnt do it...

So yea. Every team has injuries. Every year big time stars go down for the year. But the timing of our injuries. Brutal timing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson hurt. Cobbs seperated shoulder early on messed up plan B. Cobb rupturing the lung making the circus grab in the divisional loss was a season changer as well... Adams chokes, and Montgomery breaks out. And as soon as we lean on him, his ankle goes. Back to Adams... Adams gets the confidence back, has a break out game, and bam, RR lands on his leg, and he's out...... Quarless too. He was basicly gone all year.

Our Oline had a similar injury history, although not as bad. But it definately hurt our protection, and run attack. Hurt bad. As in we couldnt do it...

So yea. Every team has injuries. Every year big time stars go down for the year. But the timing of our injuries. Brutal timing.

I disagreed with your post for one reason and that's because you agree that every team has injuries but you assert that the Packers had worse timing on their injuries. Arguably, our biggest injury (Nelson) occurred when we had plenty of time to adjust to it. I'm not making any claims as to the effectiveness of our adjustment or if it could have been better, just that we did have time.

I'm sure pretty much every team had injuries that occurred with at least as "brutal" timing as the Packers. We just don't see it because lists like this don't take timing into consideration.

Members online

Latest posts