Packers Pick #3 Kyler Fackrell - Utah OLB

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched some videos of this guy on you tube and it was very underwhelming. Dropped in coverage a lot maybe they didn't utilize him to his strengths. I hope.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews ran a 4.67.
Clay Matthews ran a 1.49 10 yard spilt. A number that is far more important to front seven players. This dude looks slow off the ball could be cuz he's so tall but peppers is tall and he looks way faster off the snap. Granted peppers is a future hall of farmer.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews ran a 1.49 10 yard spilt. A number that is far more important to front seven players. This dude looks slow off the ball could be cuz he's so tall but peppers is tall and he looks way faster off the snap. Granted peppers is a future hall of farmer.

Fackrell did put together a 121 inch broad jump. Thats indicative of an explosive first step. I think a good part of it is his height.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thorton lacked mentally, is he even on a team anymore?

Thornton's currently on the Lions roster. He appeared in six games for them last season playing a total of 102 snaps on defense for them last season.

I know. I was thinking we'd draft an ILB first. So an OLB is a bit of a surprise. Was wondering if the ILB cadre is that thin!

While I agree the Packers were in dire need of an inside linebacker it seems Thompson rated Fackrell ahead of any ILB still left on the board. With Peppers, Perry and Datone headed for free agency in 2017 it made sense to add an edge rusher.

According to NFL Draft Scout both Matthews and Fackrell had a 10 yard split of 1.61 at the combine.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree the Packers were in dire need of an inside linebacker it seems Thompson rated Fackrell ahead of any ILB still left on the board. With Peppers, Perry and Datone headed for free agency in 2017 it made sense to add an edge rusher.

Hopefully Blake Martinez becomes a immediate starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to NFL Draft Scout both Matthews and Fackrell had a 10 yard split of 1.61 at the combine

NFL Draft scout is wrong on that one.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thorton lacked mentally, is he even on a team anymore? I don't expect this guy to bulk up a lot. He's long and lean. He's 25, not 18 or even 20. He's played OLB, I assume he's been working out? Anyone can gain 20 pounds, that isn't difficult. But thinking a well conditioned, physically mature athlete is going to just add 10-20lbs of muscle over a summer without PED's is not very realistic.
Going from Utah State to the Packers strength and conditioning program can easily achieve 10 lbs of muscle. I really don't see the counter argument but we'll find out in a few months I suppose. Everything from dietary assistance to world class strength coaches will be at this guys disposal. I'm sure the U.S. program was plenty fine but in no way can compare to the facilities/coaching he will be receiving in GB.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he is good enough to start and improve our defense.........it doesn't mean a huge deal to start over our guys.
I may be in the minority but still have high hopes for Jake Ryan. His athleticism is under valued and with a full year of seasoning I am expecting a much more aggressive, confident ILB to show up come camp. Furthermore he bounced back and forth between ILB and OLB at Michigan and now finally has a solidified role and I can only see that helping his game. I think Mr Ryan is going to surprise some folks and wind up being a gem for Teddy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I may be in the minority but still have high hopes for Jake Ryan. His athleticism is under valued and with a full year of seasoning I am expecting a much more aggressive, confident ILB to show up come camp. Furthermore he bounced back and forth between ILB and OLB at Michigan and now finally has a solidified role and I can only see that helping his game. I think Mr Ryan is going to surprise some folks and wind up being a gem for Teddy.

I expect Barrington and Ryan to play in base defense but Martinez will see a lot of snaps in subpackages with the starters to battle for lining up next to him in nickel.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the optimistic rating is funny. We're all doing one thing and that's speculating. To assume Jake has plateaued one year in is unfair to the kid. Fact remains his athleticism is underrated and the point of him bouncing back and forth from ILB to OLB at Michigan has to be considered. I'll stick to my guns no matter how optimistic it may sound. G P G

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw some flashes toward the end of last season that leads me to believe that Jake Ryan can be an above average ILB in our defense. Hes capable of doing some good things for us. I don't think Blake will start. But he'll see a ton of playing time however. In 2017, Jake and Blake will mostly likely be our starting two ILB's.

H

HardRightEdge

Had no idea Julius was so good at gardening. Let me guess, he is known for his peppers.
Best thing I read this week. Yeah, we're only two days in but nonetheless....

Come to think of it, maybe he grows the fruit essential to the Orange Julius.

[Not as good as yours, but sumpin sumpin.]

H

HardRightEdge

I think the optimistic rating is funny.
I expressed the same optimism about Ryan on a couple of occasions over the last couple of months for much the same reasons. I got an "optimistic" as well. Call it "tradition". ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was a big fan of Jake's pick last year, and I love his motor. Dude reminds me a lot of Hawk, but at a much cheaper draft slot for it. I think his motor helps him "cover" better than he should be able to, and you could see his instincts and the game speed finally gelling towards the end of the year this past year.

Ryan to me will be around a while. Never going to be a STUD, but solid above average ILB I think is his future....regardless of how Barrington and Martinez pan out.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider being optimistic as a negative thing.
It's certainly subjective. It could be used to describe a sense of hope but could also be used to make it seem one is drinking the kool-aid. I try to stay positive unless someone or some thing gives me enough reason to go negative.

It's just like texts. You could mean one thing and the person on the other end interprets your message the complete opposite.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've only given the optimistic rating 2 or 3 times because it's strange, but i've generally meant it to be interpreted somewhat similar to the funny+friendly rating. i don't see it as a bad thing either.

Members online

Latest posts