Packers Pick #2 - Jason Spriggs Indiana OT

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter has to be resigned IMO. No way he can ask for a huge deal and really represented himself well (after the rough first series) in the AZ game. Super smart kid with nice athleticism. I have high hopes for that young man. Thoughts?

Agreed. We'll see how he fares this year, but he could be taking over one of the guard spots after we keep only 1 of Sitton or Lang.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the thinking is to let Bahktiari and one of the guards walk in 2017, probably Lang, and plug Spriggs into LT, resign Sitton and Tretter and plug Tretter in at guard?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the thinking is to let Bahktiari and one of the guards walk in 2017, probably Lang, and plug Spriggs into LT, resign Sitton and Tretter and plug Tretter in at guard?

I am in agreement here.. Three guys on the line all due.. One has to go. And I believe Spriggs will be the one to replace the odd man out

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in agreement here.. Three guys on the line all due.. One has to go. And I believe Spriggs will be the one to replace the odd man out

I'm a Bahk fan, but I bet he's the odd one out due to the price being so high for solid LTs nowadays.

He could get a bigger contract than Long or Sitton even though he's not as good just due to his position

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Bahk fan, but I bet he's the odd one out due to the price being so high for solid LTs nowadays.

He could get a bigger contract than Long or Sitton even though he's not as good just due to his position

If Spriggs looks like the future at Tackle come pre season I definitely think Bakhtiari is the odd man. I like Bakhtiari but if you can get the same production out of a rookie contract you move on

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs is a solid selection as he can turn into an above average tackle if the coaching staff is able to clean up some technical issues.

The Packers giving up two picks is a steep price to move up though. I think it's hilarious that several posters applauding Thompson for accumulating as many selections as possible before the draft because the process is a crapshoot don't have a problem with trading away a fourth and a seventh rounder cause Teddy can do no wrong.

The only position that the Packers could draft that would be getting more PT than that with what your talking about is ILB. There's really not another hole in our starting lineup unless you'd like to point it out to me.

So what your saying is your upset we haven't gone ILB in the 1st two rounds. Still 5 rounds to go

Unfortunately there aren't any inside linebackers available anymore who would have an immediate impact. IMO passing on both Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland in the first is inexplicable after some of the stuff that came out after the first round was done.

You end up just chasing your tail trying to plug ever occurring holes with lesser players.

While that's true Myles Jack would have for sure been a superior player compared to Kenny Clark.

Tretter has to be resigned IMO. No way he can ask for a huge deal and really represented himself well (after the rough first series) in the AZ game. Super smart kid with nice athleticism. I have high hopes for that young man. Thoughts?

Tretter might want to leave in free agency to start at center for another team next offseason though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs is a solid selection as he can turn into an above average tackle if the coaching staff is able to clean up some technical issues.

Agree

The Packers giving up two picks is a steep price to move up though. I think it's hilarious that several posters applauding Thompson for accumulating as many selections as possible before the draft because the process is a crapshoot don't have a problem with trading away a fourth and a seventh rounder cause Teddy can do no wrong.

A #5 and #7 rounder isn't much considering that the Packers have 2 4th round Comp picks. I thought it was a 5th rounder, not a 4th that TT gave up? -- Just checked you're right. Hmm, that is quite a bit that TT gave up.

Tretter might want to leave in free agency to start at center for another team next offseason though.

I wonder if Tretter could be re-signed and start at OG? Lang has been solid, but he could be let go in that scenario. I wouldn't want to see Sitton go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if Tretter could be re-signed and start at OG? Lang has been solid, but he could be let go in that scenario. I wouldn't want to see Sitton go.

It's possible but with Tretter being best suited to play center in the NFL I rxpect him to look for a starting gig at that position next offseason.

Regarding as to who to re-sign out of Sitton and Lang a lot of it will depend on their durability in 2016.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers move on from Bahktiari they will likely get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick as well bc he will get a big contract in fact.

I know they gave up a 4th and 7th. UT it is hard for me to get too worked up about the 7th. The Packers have a lot of youth and this seems to be the year to trade up and lose a later round pick. The Packers have good depth at quite a few positions and the late 7th compared to udfa isn't a huge drop

H

HardRightEdge

Tretter looked pretty good in those 3 starts at center; not so hot in brief stints at other positions. I think there's enough tape that he'll draw interest in FA as a starting center, especially given his relative youth and what would probably be an attractive price given the scant resume.

I'm not sure how the Packers could offer a competitive deal unless they lock him into a guard position for 2017, and I don't see how that could happen unless he gets injury replacement play in 2016 and shows well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Fans tend to just think about the next season. Packers seem to be always looking ahead. You end up just chasing your tail trying to plug ever occurring holes with lesser players. I applaud TTs patience and adhering to his philosophy.
Thompson has said they tend to draft for two years out. IMO, you dont want to have a bunch of rookies on the field all the time. They get targetted and picked on a lot and tend to commit a lot of dumb mistakes. Ease them in slowly if you can and let them play supporting roles while they learn.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect him to be the primary backup at both tackle spots next season.

He'll need a year of seasoning and to gain size and strength, but by all accounts, will become a very good starter capable of playing both T spots and G if needed.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was excited after Bahks rookie year. He was better than I expected. However, I didn't notice much improvement over the next few years. I am hoping we keep Sitton for sure and one other. Preferably Bulaga, but any would be okay, but none are essential.

D

Deleted member 6794

He'll need a year of seasoning and to gain size and strength, but by all accounts, will become a very good starter capable of playing both T spots and G if needed.

As I've posted earlier in this thread, if the coaching staff can clean up some technical issues with Spriggs he should turn into an above average tackle. Don't see him as a guard though.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read a winners/losers article on yahoo and they said this was an excellent pick and a pick that Chicago coveted, LOL. The Bears did trade back once we selected Spriggs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was excited after Bahks rookie year. He was better than I expected. However, I didn't notice much improvement over the next few years. I am hoping we keep Sitton for sure and one other. Preferably Bulaga, but any would be okay, but none are essential.

Bulaga is signed through the 2019 season, there's no reason to believe he will be released next offseason.

Members online

Latest posts