Packers Pick #2 - Jason Spriggs Indiana OT

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far TT has drafed two valuable back ups for next season unless people think Springs is immediately better than Bakt. While Clark may be able to play the 3 position he won't be there in the nickel package until he can develop some pass rush. Since the Packers play a nickel more than their base package Clark will likely see 20-30 plays per game. All in all TT just drafted two guys in the first and second rounds that will see limited action next season. Again TT is drafting like a team that's rebuilding. While that can make them competitive will they have the impact to push the Packers psst their playoff funk.

Reaction score
We took 0 picks on the O line last year and only a C the year before. We were long overdue. Protecting our 20,000,000 a year investment is good business sense. Nice job Ted

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Springs worth more than a single 2nd round pick? The Pack paid a steep price to get him. The question is could they have gotten him at 57? IMO he's an upgrade over Bakt. Hope Bakt becomes a good back up.

IMO, not steep at all, especially to get who I believe will end up being a very good player. A 7th? Meh. The 4th? Two comp picks in the 4th shortly after #57.
Also, I'd be willing to bet the Bears wanted him, and TT took him right out from under their noses.
Which makes it freakin' delicious.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far TT has drafed two valuable back ups for next season unless people think Springs is immediately better than Bakt. While Clark may be able to play the 3 position he won't be there in the nickel package until he can develop some pass rush. Since the Packers play a nickel more than their base package Clark will likely see 20-30 plays per game. All in all TT just drafted two guys in the first and second rounds that will see limited action next season. Again TT is drafting like a team that's rebuilding. While that can make them competitive will they have the impact to push the Packers psst their playoff funk.

The only position that the Packers could draft that would be getting more PT than that with what your talking about is ILB. There's really not another hole in our starting lineup unless you'd like to point it out to me.

So what your saying is your upset we haven't gone ILB in the 1st two rounds. Still 5 rounds to go

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs will be our blocking te... Maybe. :)

I asked for two 300 pound tes to protect rodgers and block for lacy...

Theres one. :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this guy. Big string guy with LONG arms and can play tackle. I can see him being the left tackle rather sooner than later as Bahk is garbage and Bulaga is made out of paper machet .

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. But if we knew beforehand that we had a chance for both Ragland and Billings, and chose neither, we'd be pretty sick about it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are thought to have wanted him bad so no he wouldn't have been available. Borderline 1st round guy imo that gives us options next season headed into FA and depth for next season. Added a 4th and a 7th to our 2nd to move up to get him.

This is a really good OT to be getting in the 2nd round. Dare I say Clifton 2.0?

He's a bit of a late bloomer, I suspect he's the kind of player that needs a full NFL offseason to reach his potential. Come year 2 he might look like the kind of LT that you can only get in the top ten. Great length, great bend great lateral quicks, he just needs work on his anchor and hand technique.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans tend to just think about the next season. Packers seem to be always looking ahead. You end up just chasing your tail trying to plug ever occurring holes with lesser players. I applaud TTs patience and adhering to his philosophy.

Sky King

Reaction score
Fans tend to just think about the next season. Packers seem to be always looking ahead. You end up just chasing your tail trying to plug ever occurring holes with lesser players. I applaud TTs patience and adhering to his philosophy.
Fighter pilots say they like to be 10 miles ahead of their planes. Not a bad philosophy for a GM, either. The sentiment fits well here, too.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Spriggs develops and reaches his potential he could be the guy who keeps Aaron Rodgers healthy for the rest of his career, think about that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Like this pick too. Big, long, athletic guy. Looks to be able to add some size yet too to that frame and at a position we could use an upgrade now or in the future. Last year, our oline was 10x's more responsible for our underwhelming performances than an deficit at ILB. Even if he's not penciled in as a "starter" we have 2 guys in tretter and I believe him, that can and will step in when a starter goes down and our offense can keep going.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the very least, this should be an improvement over Barclay
I think he's an immediate upgrade at the backup position right now. He may just earn a starting sport too before the year is out. He has the potential. If BahT is still the LT, it means he got better I think and was pushed by competition.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, it's worth noting that having 4 of the top 6 O-Linemen hitting free agency is not exactly an accident suddenly falling from the sky. Given the mostly poor O-Line backup play over the last few years to go along with the event horizon, there could have been somebody drafted in 2015...maybe not a high pick, but one of those mid-round OTs to convert to guard. At least in this case Thompson is not waiting around until the hole is gaping in order to address it.

As for fans not looking past the next season, I suppose most don't. Some, or at least one anyway, were illustrating a year ago the cap crunch coming n 2017.

That said, I like the pick. Not crazy about it, but I like it. I had him for second round in the contest and moved him up to first in the last few days as I found it hard to muster much enthusiasm for who would be available if Thompson stayed true to form and passed on Ragland. I believe the Clark pick justified that thinking.

In most drafts I think you lump picks 25 - 50 together without much difference in grade, with picks based on the so-called premium positions and need. This draft was more like
1 + 2 + 15 - 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

At the very least, this should be an improvement over Barclay
You'd want to think so. But you don't trade up like that for a backup. This is part of the plan to address 2017 free agency. You can take that to the bank. And frankly, I don't see this guy as anything but a LT.

H

HardRightEdge

i can get on board with that sentiment lol
I've never been crazy about Bakhtiari either. He was certainly a welcome addition over what came before him, and you certainly couldn't beat the price.

Pauline's rumor that the Packers wanted to take an OT and move Bakhtiari to OG is nonsense. When would that happen exactly? Not this season. After this season he's a free agent. Yes, that's the idea...tell him you want to move him to a lower paying position while negotiating a new contract, as if he'd even be capable of handling the run blocking duties.

Such a proposal would simply be a way of saying, "It's been nice knowing you."

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakt, Sitton, Lang all on last contract year, right?

He'll be a starter next year and probably see some game time this year too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs went to an area High school in my community. Dude comes from a solid home and is a solid character. He is a workhorse and I love the pick.

He has never played guard but this guy has skills capable of any position....crazy agile and quick for a guy his size really. Love the pick

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loved the pick. Tremendous upside and a fantastic athlete with a little nasty in him. 4 OL becoming FA's in '17 necessitated this move and I credit TT for pulling it off. You have to balance "win now" with consideration for the future and that is this pick personified. 2 thumbs up.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts