Packers named best franchise in sports, Bengals named worst

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers aren’t just the best team in the NFL. They’re the best franchise in all of North American professional sports. At least, they are according to ESPN the Magazine, which put the Packers atop the annual “Best Franchises In Sports” rankings, in this week’s issue. ESPN ranks franchises based on things like…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
btw this should be moved to the main section. Its not like there is much else to talk about...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so ESPN says were Americas team and the best franchise in north america? wow I might have to stop with all the negative comments about them.

Did anyone read the negative comments on the post? there is this one which is extremely flawed...

Packer fans that think they own the team always make me laugh. That so called “stock” was actually a donation to the team.
The “stock” entitles you to NOTHING.
The “stock” LEGALLY CAN NOT BE SOLD – therefore it is completely worthless. Of course you can give the worthless piece of paper to your friends or relatives when you die, I’m sure they will be very grateful.
The “stock” does not give you a vote on anything like real stock does.
The “stock” is nothing more than a piece of paper that morons can hang on their wall to show people how they donated $200 to a pro sports franchise.
The fact that the team even calls it a stock and the fans eat it up shows how dumb some packer fans are.
When is the last time you bought a stock that specifically stated that it can never be sold, and entitles you to no rights or vote on what the organization does?
So please explain to me why some people think the piece of paper (essentially a receipt for their donation) has anything in common with real stock.
Honestly even calling that piece of paper “stock” is borderline fraud, because it is in no way even close to being stock in the company.
Tell me again how the fans “own the packers.”

then this one as well...

Why does ESPN have such a ******* for Green Bay? Personally I’ve always thought the best team in the NFL is Pittsburgh. The best team in sports history though? Gotta be Detroit Red Wings… maybe New York Yankees. I guess it is all opinionated though.
Just so you know, cheeseheads… this isn’t something that will be written down in history books. It’s just ESPN’s opinion.
Skol Vikings.

to which my response is, correct, but our record 13 NFL Championships are in the record books.

and another ..
bradshawlives says: Jun 15, 2011 4:11 PM
badcallsfootball says:
Jun 15, 2011 2:58 PM
“Actually — that stock entitles us to a team that can NEVER be moved.”
There is one way the Packers would move. If the rest of the owners decided they were sick of supporting welfare cases like GB and Buffalo and ended revenue sharing. The Packers would no longer be competitive no matter how many $200 sheets of paper they sold. Community “ownership” wouldn’t be viable and the franchise would be gone.

smart guy must not realize the Packers are profitable.

another gem...

Have the Packers made the playoffs for 20 straight seasons? Is Green Bay known as “Footballtown” like Detroit is “Hockeytown?” Do assistant coaches repeatedly get plucked from your staff for head coaching vacancies? The city of Detroit is crappy, but that doesn’t change the kind of franchise the Red Wings are.

No, we arent known as football town, were known as titletown you moron.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of the comments on that site are annoying. Welfare case? Really?

But good for us. It really is a great franchise.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started to like ESPN... for one day. Then they started this crap about Boston being the real "Titletown" thanks to their one title this year with the Bruins winning it all, bringing up pro-Packers tweets on SportsCenter and criticizing them, while praising pro-Boston tweets.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Espn just sucks off whoever is most popular at the time
....And the Boston area teams. They're just HOMERS with a national audience. Move the broadcast offices out of Bristol to Champaign for instance and see how much love the northeastern teams get after a few years.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well, I think it's a typical ESPN-type poll ... and even though I don't give a rat's *** what comes out of there, it is a cute poll.

I have to be consistent because I readily trash ESPN on nearly every other topic ... this one can't be an exception. Don't get me wrong, I get the warm and fuzzies for a moment, but it doesn't make me want to push my chest out and say "SEEEEEE????". Similarly, it does make me clip the URL to an Email and shoot it off to my wife's uncle who is a diehard Bears fan.... well, that article and then, the picture of the Super Bowl ring ... it's been a tough week for ol' Larry. :happy0005:...and then, there's the DVD I keep sending him of the Packers/Bears NFC Championship game and the Email clips of the Pack getting the Halas Trophy presentation AT Soldier Field ... but other than that, it doesn't mean much to me. heh heh heh... oh, that reminds me...I haven't Emailed Larry yet this morning...

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....And the Boston area teams. They're just HOMERS with a national audience. Move the broadcast offices out of Bristol to Champaign for instance and see how much love the northeastern teams get after a few years.

Yeah, ever wonder why they constantly talk about the Patriots and Celtics and broadcast nearly nothing but Red Sox games during Sunday Night Baseball? And, in my book, Detroit is the real Titletown when it comes to hockey.

(Not anywhere else, though)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The “stock” entitles you to NOTHING.

The “stock” does not give you a vote on anything like real stock does.

This guy apparently doesn't know the whole story. Shareholders do have a say in the organization. Shareholders may vote on who is part of the executive board. They also may attend the annual shareholder's meeting to ask questions or voice concerns. True the stocks don't provide any dividend, but they do give the fans a say in how the organization is run.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much of a surprise here :D though I'm a bit surprised the Lightning got 2nd.