Packers leading rusher through 14 games.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons with one of them being a contract year. I don´t trust him enough to keep his weight down to offer him a lucrative long-term contract.
That picture looks like Picasso's self portrait. I see it, but im not seeing it...

First off. We cant compare his contract that he will be playing under 4 years from now, with contracts that were signed 1,2,3 years ago... 5 mil 4 years from now will be very good deal if Lacy stops with the injuries.

Here is what I see. A 245 pound RB with a spin move like a ballerina! lol. But seriously. He is a big boy. Embrace it, and quit trying to make him something he isn't... That dude could give us a bruiser for 1st and second down, with high productivity. And them put in Monty on 3rd downs, so to say...

If he cant produce all the time as a every down back would. Then have him produce some of the time. Same could be said for starks. He was much much better as part of a duo...

Pay would reflect that obviously. Now Pitsburg will find out very soon what Laveon Bell is worth. I bet he is pushing 10mil, even with the problems. Lacy was drafted 2nd round like bell. Has had highs and lows like bell. And if Bell pulls 10, then Lacy should get 5, as big half of a highly productive duo.

D

Deleted member 6794

5 mil 4 years from now will be very good deal if Lacy stops with the injuries.

I'm quite sure you meant to post junk food instead of injuries.

Here is what I see. A 245 pound RB with a spin move like a ballerina! lol. But seriously. He is a big boy. Embrace it, and quit trying to make him something he isn't... That dude could give us a bruiser for 1st and second down, with high productivity.

I would absolutely be fine with Lacy playing at 240 pounds. Unfortunately he looked like 260-270 for most of the past two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerome Bettis got to the Hall of fame being a big bruiser who was light on his feet.
Lacy has looked great at times in the last 4 years. The big gut? I swear, if nobody ever mentioned it (over and over and over) I never would have noticed... And I still don't care. 260 or not. 270 even, I don't care. As long as he can stay healthy enough to play all season.

Lets remember he has never averaged under 4.1 ypc. even last year when the offense looked like a steamer... upward trend with a solid 5.1 ypc before the ankle. catches the ball well..... I don't see the problem.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerome Bettis got to the Hall of fame being a big bruiser who was light on his feet.
Lacy has looked great at times in the last 4 years. The big gut? I swear, if nobody ever mentioned it (over and over and over) I never would have noticed... And I still don't care. 260 or not. 270 even, I don't care. As long as he can stay healthy enough to play all season.

Lets remember he has never averaged under 4.1 ypc. even last year when the offense looked like a steamer... upward trend with a solid 5.1 ypc before the ankle. catches the ball well..... I don't see the problem.
except he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately Lacy playing at 260-270 pounds results in him not being able to stay on the field for a lengthy drive because of poor conditioning as well as putting additional stress on his legs which for sure was a factor in him suffering a season ending injury.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at 240, Lacy is an agile, beast that is still piling up yards in this offense in a contract year. But he was probably that mid summer. By the time the end of training camp rolled around, he looked back up to 260+, and his body just isn't going to hold up to an NFL season at that weight. He could never be counted on to finish a drive let alone a game, and that extra weight is directly responsible for where he finds himself this season. It's a shame, because I love the way he plays the game. I don't like the way he approaches it however.

Sky King

Reaction score
Unfortunately Lacy playing at 260-270 pounds results in him not being able to stay on the field for a lengthy drive because of poor conditioning as well as putting additional stress on his legs which for sure was a factor in him suffering a season ending injury.

at 240, Lacy is an agile, beast that is still piling up yards in this offense in a contract year. But he was probably that mid summer. By the time the end of training camp rolled around, he looked back up to 260+, and his body just isn't going to hold up to an NFL season at that weight. He could never be counted on to finish a drive let alone a game, and that extra weight is directly responsible for where he finds himself this season. It's a shame, because I love the way he plays the game. I don't like the way he approaches it however.

Then it would stand to reason that 300# plus linemen would also have more ankle problems than any other players, no?

It's a theory about Lacy shared by several forumites. However, that theory seems used mostly to serve the argument that Lacy should not be re-signed despite how effectively he was running prior to the injury. Performance does not seem to outweigh his (perceived) weight for some folks. They don't like him as a player or maybe even as a person. I get it.

But without attending medical professionals willing to specifically attribute Lacy's ankle injury to his weight (being fact), I'll remain skeptical.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then it would stand to reason that 300# plus linemen would also have more ankle problems than any other players, no?

It's a theory about Lacy shared by several forumites. However, that theory seems used mostly to serve the argument that Lacy should not be re-signed despite how effectively he was running prior to the injury. Performance does not seem to outweigh his (perceived) weight for some folks. They don't like him as a player or maybe even as a person. I get it.

But without attending medical professionals willing to specifically attribute Lacy's ankle injury to his weight (being fact), I'll remain skeptical.
I am not totally discounting the points you are making, but I will say that there is a difference between the pounding Lacy puts on his ankles while running, twisting and literally leaping over defenders while also being tackled and landed on by those 300 pound lineman you were referencing and what the ankles of the Lineman go through while playing. However , without looking up any stats, I wouldn't be surprised at all if ankle and knee injuries were quite high in lineman. I don't think anyone that suggests that Lacy's chances of injury would be lower at a more appropriate weight for his body are overreaching.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy reaggrevated his ankle injury when hurdling a defender. How often have you seen a defensive lineman try to do that??? There's absolutely no doubt that playing running back puts a lot more stress on the legs than lining up on the DL.

I truly like Lacy as a person but that's no reason to sign him to a lucrative long-term deal as he hasn't been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons.

Sky King

Reaction score
Lacy reaggrevated his ankle injury when hurdling a defender. How often have you seen a defensive lineman try to do that???

Mostly I've noticed this when there's pursuit along the line. Reggie often hurdled the T or TE trying to block him low. How often for all DLs, who can say? I doubt anyone compiles that stat.

There's absolutely no doubt that playing running back puts a lot more stress on the legs than lining up on the DL.

Absolutely there is doubt in my mind. With 300 pound guys going at each other full-force on nearly every play, especially on running plays, there's not only the stress of their own weight applied to their ankles but also the weight and velocity of the other guy pushing all-out against him. Double-teams would theoretically double that stress.

Again, I don't know that ankle sprain statistics are compiled and accessible to us fans, but my casual observation is that many ankle sprains are the result of another player rolling over the lower legs of another player who's either engaged or laying on the ground. That's how Lacy got injured in the first place. Cook and Cobb, too. Even walking on a sprained ankle can aggravate it. At least that was my experience when I experienced my ankle sprains.

I truly like Lacy as a person but that's no reason to sign him to a lucrative long-term deal as he hasn't been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons.
I'm in total agreement with you on the first point in this sentence. Lacy seems like a very personable, pleasant fellow.

But I'm in partial disagreement with you on your latter two points. He ran like he was in shape this season and the numbers would seem to bear that out. Although I also do agree with you that a lucrative long-term deal should be difficult for him to snag from any team because of the commonly short shelf-life of an NFL running back. Very few RBs end-up showing the exceptional longevity that such a deal must warrant. Of course, a team can adjust guaranteed money to suit their financial comfort zone. Hopefully, it will be the Packers who find this happy median.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question; do the Packers have an option on Lacy, or is he just going to be a free agent?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unrestricted free agent. You're probably thinking of the 5th year option, only good for 1st round picks.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its real fair to cap the rookies so much and a RB considers 10 years a long career. . That's 40% of their career... But yea. Its Lacys pay day. I think he is well worth 5mil a yr. he could be our power back for the rest of the decade...I remember the years we couldn't get a run game going. It sucked. Lacy has us forgetting what those days were like.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its real fair to cap the rookies so much and a RB considers 10 years a long career. . That's 40% of their career... But yea. Its Lacys pay day. I think he is well worth 5mil a yr. he could be our power back for the rest of the decade...I remember the years we couldn't get a run game going. It sucked. Lacy has us forgetting what those days were like.

Change the bold to 'had', and I'm with you. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

His contract expires after the season. I'm not sure why anyone would think the Packers place a higher dollar value on him than other teams will. I think it's more likely that some other team will sign him to a contract.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
400 yards is no where near enough for a leading rusher at this point of the season and I think we all know that. If they decide to bring back Lacy, it will be at 1 or 2 years at most and hopefully highly incentive based. Also, have they ever tried Lacy at FB. I know they couldn't before because of Kuhn and now Rip, but that might be an interesting set up.

I don't think Monty has the durability to pound the rock as much as a RB normally would. He's a nice change of pace and if they do draft someone else to be the full time ball carrier, they can run set gimmick plays and set him up all over the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, I don't know that ankle sprain statistics are compiled and accessible to us fans, but my casual observation is that many ankle sprains are the result of another player rolling over the lower legs of another player who's either engaged or laying on the ground. That's how Lacy got injured in the first place. Cook and Cobb, too. Even walking on a sprained ankle can aggravate it. At least that was my experience when I experienced my ankle sprains.

There's no way to prevent ankle injuries by getting rolled over by another player. It's possible to minimize the chances of getting hurt by staying in shape though.

I don't think its real fair to cap the rookies so much and a RB considers 10 years a long career.

It was absolutely essential to introduce a rookie salary cap within the new CBA in 2011. It was ridiculous that players who never played a single down in the NFL were the highest earning players on their teams before that. In addition it significantly reduced the number of holdouts.

I don't think Monty has the durability to pound the rock as much as a RB normally would. He's a nice change of pace and if they do draft someone else to be the full time ball carrier, they can run set gimmick plays and set him up all over the field.

Montgomery isn't a change of pace running back.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
His contract expires after the season. I'm not sure why anyone would think the Packers place a higher dollar value on him than other teams will. I think it's more likely that some other team will sign him to a contract.
Teams notice he can't stay in shape