The last outdoor game in Minnesota.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers take the field at the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium next Sunday it will be the first time in 33 years they will play an outdoor game in Minnesota. Fans under a certain age will have no recollection of it but for the first 20 years of the Green Bay-Minnesota rivalry every game was outdoors and on natural grass fields and both earned a reputation for playing on a "frozen tundra."

From 1961-81 the Vikings played their home games at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, where the Mall of America stands today. It was an outdoor stadium with real grass on its gridiron; the same as Lambeau Field and Milwaukee County Stadium. Consequently when the Packers and Vikings played there was no real home field advantage since both were playing "in their element." That may in part explain why each during that period had a winning record on the other's home turf.

Both also earned reputations for being fierce winter warriors and playing in extreme cold and snow. Going in to play either team from November on was a prospect few other clubs in the league cared to relish. The Packers, of course, had their 1967 "Ice Bowl" NFL Championship Game legend. The Vikings would make four trips to the Super Bowl in the 1970's helped in no small way by playing home games against warm weather teams, like the Los Angeles Rams, outdoors in Minnesota in January.

During Vince Lombardi's time the Packers never lost a game in Minnesota; winning their first 7 trips into the next door state and usually by comfortable margins. After Lombardi left and the Packers declined the Vikings became ascendant under their own Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant. Wins for the Pack against the Vikes were few and far between from then on but the Packers had a few shining moments at the old "Met" that are worth recalling.

In the next to last game of the 1972 season the Packers went in and whipped the Vikings 23-7 to clinch the NFC Central Division title; which Minnesota had held for the previous four years and would regain for the following six. That game in December was played in true North fashion: Two below zero temp and a windchill of minus 19.

Two years later in November of '74 the Packers defeated a Super Bowl bound Vikings team 19-7 there. That game was a balmy 33 degrees as the Packers shut out the Fran Tarkenton led offense for 55 minutes and newly acquitred qb John Hadl for at least that day made the trade that coach Dan Devine made for him look like a masterstroke. As we know that wouldn't last.

The Packers didn't win at the Met again until 1980, when they beat the Vikings 25-13 to complete their first season sweep of Minnesota in 15 years. In their '72 and '74 wins the Packers had used the bruising rushing of bull backs John Brockington and MacArthur Lane to power them to wins over the vaunted Purple People Eaters defense of the Vikings. in '80 it was Eddie Lee Ivery and Gerry Ellis who each broke 100 yds. as the Pack rushed for 246 and totaled 443 for the game. It was a "hot" 39 degrees with a 30 degree wind chill that day.

The Packers last outdoor game at the Met was on November 29,1981 in a temp of 30 degrees and with a chill of 22. The two teams were heading in opposite directions at the time. The Vikes were leading the division and the talk was of a 12th division title and maybe a fifth trip to the Super Bowl in the long winning era of Coach Grant. In Green Bay coach Bart Starr was on a very hot seat as another losing season was staring the Packers in the face in his sixth season in charge of the club. They began the year 2-6 and the week before the Minnesota game were trouced by Tampa Bay 37-3.

The Vikings took a 14-0 lead in the first quarter but then the Pack caught fire. QB Lynn ****ey was back, after a 4 game injury absence, and threw for 294 yds. and a pair of td passes to his all-pro receivers James Lofton and John Jefferson. The defense intercepted Viking qb Tommy Kramer 5 times. The Packers won 35-23.

Minnesota didn't win another game that year, the Packers went on a 4 game streak that nearly put them in the playoffs. The next season the Vikings would begin playing in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome until 2013. After making 4 Super Bowls at the "Old Met" they would not return to another to the present day.

All told the Packers won 11 times and lost 10 in those 21 seasons of outdoor football in Minnesota. Of the ten games they lost there more than half were by a single touchdown or less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of other things to recall about Met Stadium. The team benches were on the same side of the field. The only other stadium where that was the case was Milwaukee County. where the Packers played part of their home schedule through 1994.

The Met was also a major league baseball stadium. With next Sunday's game to be played in a college stadium it reminds of a case back in 1969 when the Packers and Vikings became the first to play an NFL game in a college stadium. The weekend of the Packers game the baseball Twins were involved in the first American League playoff series with the Baltimore Orioles at the Met. They had priority on the stadium so the Packers-Vikings game had to be moved to the University of Minnesota's old Memorial Stadium.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we are on this topic, remember this? Ha-ha-ha-ha!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And then the Vikings had to borrow Detroit's indoor stadium for their next "home" game when they found out that duct tape wouldn't fix it.
Then they played their last home game on the cold outdoor Astroturf of the Golden Gophers where Brett Fail was knocked out of the game, literally, by Da Bears and that was his last play of his NFL career.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...t-favre-describes-play-that-ended-his-career-

"[It was] one of the most minor hits I've ever [taken]," Favre said. "The guy didn't even hit me, he pushed me. I threw the ball and the field of course was solid ice, it was like concrete. I hit the left side of my head and the next thing I remember, I was snoring as our trainer was kind of shaking me saying, 'Are you OK?' I look at the footage, even though it wasn't long, there was that 10-15 second period where I was asleep."

Favre's concussion was so severe, he didn't even know who the Vikings were playing, "I remember looking at our trainer Suge (Eric Sugarman) and saying, 'Suge, what are the Bears doing here?'"

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at both of Favre's last games: the '07 Championship game as a Packer, and the Viking/Bear game. I'll be there again this Sunday. It's actually supposed to warm up to around freezing this weekend.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
"Warm up to freezing".....been down south to darn long now.....errrr....i cringed this past saturday when we had low 40's. glad next week it will be back to the mid 60's !!!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It sure looks like AP will be suiting up in this game, what are your thoughts on this? I can't imagine he will get more than 10 - 15 touches
Have not had a chance to watch nfl network yet today, what source says this? Not that it matters if he does, he wont be enough of a factor to turn the tide. His comfy dome life is gone and he has not played for some time now.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Other than the fact the I don't know of any regular season games played in the Met in January, not bad. The NFL was usually done playing the regular season by the end of December. Only playoff games would have been played in January.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seventeen players and two coaches, in total, from these two clubs of that period are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame; and discussions continue about adding more.

There were four Packers head coaches during that period of the rivalry: Lombardi, Bengtson, Devine and Starr and two for the Vikes: Van Brocklin and Grant.

The leading quarterbacks for those outdoor, grass games were Bart Starr, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Kapp, Lynn ****ey, Zeke Bratkowski, Tommy Kramer, Scott Hunter, David Whitehurst.

In an era of rushing the football there were plenty of outstanding backs. Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Donny Anderson, Jim Grabowski, John Brockington, MacArthur Lane, Gerry Ellis, Eddie Lee Ivery for Green Bay. Chuck Foreman, Bill Brown, Tommy Mason, Dave Osborn, Ed Marinaro, Rickey Young (Walter Payton's uncle), Ted Brown for Minnesota.

The front lines for both made most things happen. The Vikings had their Purple People Eaters defensive line: Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Gary Larsen and Doug Sutherland. Blocking them for the Packers were Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Forrest Gregg, Bob Skoronski, Jim Ringo, Ken Bowman, Gale Gillingham, Francis Peay, Larry McCarren, Greg Koch, Karl Swanke.

Willie Davis, Hank Jordan, Ron Kostelnik, Lionel Aldridge, Robert Brown, Mike McCoy, Alden Roche, Sweeny Williams, Dave Pureifory, Mike Butler, Ezra Johnson and Dave Roller made Fran Tarkenton scramble. Protecting their quarterback and backs for the other side were center **** Tinglehoff, tackles Ron Yary and Grady Alderman, guards Milt Sunde and Ed White.

Hard-nosed, intimidating linebackers were needed for tough games in tough conditions. Those were the days of Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinsin, LeRoy Caffey, Bill Forrester, Dan Currie and later Ted Hendricks, Jim Carter, Fred Carr, John Anderson, Mike "Mad Dog" Douglass, George Cumby in Green Bay. Over in Minnesota there was Jeff Siemon, Wally Hilgenberg, Roy Winston, Matt Blair, Scott Studwell.

Both franchises then made a specialty of taking the ball away. Leading interceptors for the Pack were Herb Adderley, Willie Wood, Bob Jeter, Tom Brown, Doug Hart, Willie Buchanon, Ken Ellis, Johnnie Gray. Vikings' ballhawks included Paul Krause, Bobby Bryant, Ed Sharockman, Earsell Mackbee, Jeff Wright.

Gene Washington, Jim Gilliam, John Henderson, Sammy White and Ahmad Rashad were big play receivers in those games for Minnesota. Green Bay could bring Max McGee, Boyd Dowler, Carroll Dale, Steve Odom, James Lofton and John Jefferson for air superiority. The tight ends were both blockers and receivers. Ron Kramer, Marv Fleming, Rich McGeorge, Paul Coffman played for the Packers. John Beasley and Stu Voigt were favored weapons of the Vikes.

After Don Chandler retired the Vikings won many games on the leg of kicker Fred Cox. But the Packers would eventually find Chester Marcol to give them an edge or at least equalizer in the kicking game.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers-Vikings game had to be moved to the University of Minnesota's old Memorial Stadium.
Was at that game. Cold as I remember, but even colder because we lost. I think the outcome on Sunday's game will even our record at the U of M stadiums.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if anyone has any pics from that era of games in that stadium, please post them, I would love to see them

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And then the Vikings had to borrow Detroit's indoor stadium for their next "home" game when they found out that duct tape wouldn't fix it.
Then they played their last home game on the cold outdoor Astroturf of the Golden Gophers where Brett Fail was knocked out of the game, literally, by Da Bears and that was his last play of his NFL career.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...t-favre-describes-play-that-ended-his-career-

"[It was] one of the most minor hits I've ever [taken]," Favre said. "The guy didn't even hit me, he pushed me. I threw the ball and the field of course was solid ice, it was like concrete. I hit the left side of my head and the next thing I remember, I was snoring as our trainer was kind of shaking me saying, 'Are you OK?' I look at the footage, even though it wasn't long, there was that 10-15 second period where I was asleep."

Favre's concussion was so severe, he didn't even know who the Vikings were playing, "I remember looking at our trainer Suge (Eric Sugarman) and saying, 'Suge, what are the Bears doing here?'"

Wow really laughing about a structural collapse and a guy getting a concussion. You are a child. Pathetic.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was at that game. Cold as I remember, but even colder because we lost. I think the outcome on Sunday's game will even our record at the U of M stadiums.

According to the boxscore on Profootballreference.com the temp that day was 66 degrees. It was Oct. 5, third game of the season then. "The Pack Will Be Back" Green Bay came in 2-0. The Vikes were 1-1, but just the week before Joe Kapp had thrown 7 td passes against the Colts at the Met. Minnesota's defense sacked Bart Starr 8 times and defense smothered the Packers until the final seconds of a 19-7 win.

I remember that game for another reason, too. The next week our family took my first trip to Green Bay. On Saturday we caught the team as they were wrapping up prep and getting ready to fly to Detroit. For some reason there was hardly any one around the players' entrance at Lambeau that morning so we had a field day meeting players and getting autographs.

I've still got them: LeRoy Caffey, Marv Fleming, Chuck Mercein, Bob Jeter, Elijah Pitts, Wilie Wood, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr and several more I'll have to look to remember.

Next day the Pack handled the Lions 28-17 to move to 3-1 and for the first half of the season looked like they might be making a comeback at 5-2. Offense went into hibernation in November, though, and they ended up 8-6.

Last edited:
D

Dan115

I went to one Packer- vike game at the met--- 1965--- I sat behind two old Packer backer women who were staying warm with the tiny bottles.---- Starr was knocked out and wobbled off the field. Zeke came in and did a great job in a Packer win.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the boxscore on Profootballreference.com the temp that day was 66 degrees.
I knew it was cold. Anything under 80 degrees qualifies, at least these days :D. We were sitting at the top of the bowl end of the stadium, and my cousin had just a sport coat on and I remember thinking he must be frozen. Maybe it was windy? Or I could be mixing it up with another game....

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew it was cold. Anything under 80 degrees qualifies, at least these days :D. We were sitting at the top of the bowl end of the stadium, and my cousin had just a sport coat on and I remember thinking he must be frozen. Maybe it was windy? Or I could be mixing it up with another game....

After 45 years we should be glad to remember anything about that game. LOL

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just can't resist can you?

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned that half the Packers' losses at the Old Met were very close decisions. As Green Bay fans in the Borderland these were the ones that had us gnashing out teeth back then.

1968- In the game that transferred control of the Central Division from GB to Minn. the Vikes held off the Pack 14-10 for their first season sweep ever of the Packers. The Packers turned the ball over 4 times, allowed 5 sacks and had a field goal blocked to cancel out a dominating second half performance.

1970- The Packers had beaten the Vikings 13-10 at Green Bay early in the season but the two teams had traveled in different directions since. That loss the only blemish on Minnesota's record to date ten games into the season and the Packers were struggling to stay in contention. Although the Packers outgained the Vikes 282-202 they weren't able to penetrate the goal line against the Purple People Eaters defense. Minnesota won the rematch 10-3 when the Packers lost a fumble at the Vikings 17 yd. line at the two minute warning.

1971- Probably the most galling Packers loss to the Vikings in that decade; The Pack rampaged up and down the field all day against the division champs and still lost the game 3-0. The Packers rushed for 248 yds, outgained Minnesota 301-87, and had drives reach the Vikings' 16,21,1,10 and 8 yds. lines and still got shut out.

Four turnovers, 3 in the red zone, and a blocked field goal left a lot of points on the field by Green Bay. Late in the game Viking safety Charlie West intercepted rookie qb Scott Hunter in the end zone and returned it to midfield. From there the Vikes, who had only 25 yds of offense on the day, moved down for a field goal in the last seconds to win the game.

1973- The Packers had won the NFC Central Division the previous season and the Vikings wanted it back when they met in an early season showdown for first place. Minnesota came into the game 2-0, Green Bay 1-0-1. The Packer defense held the Minnesota offense, featuring qb Fran Tarkenton, rb Chuck Foreman and explosive wr John Gilliam and ex-Packer Carroll Dale, to just 3 field goals. But the Viking defense did even better; limiting the Pack to one early Chester Marcol field goal and scoring a safety for the 11-3 decision.

1979- Bart Starr was winless (with one tie) in his first 8 games as Packers coach against Bud Grant's Vikings. He came close to his first win in the third game of the season at Minnesota; forcing the game into overtime for the second straight meeting between the two teams. QB Tommy Kramer hit wr Ahmad Rashad on a 50 yd. scoring pass play 3:18 in the sudden death period, however, to net Minnesota the win 27-21.

Starr would pick up his first win over Grant later in the season at home 19-7 and would wind up 6-2 against the legendary Vikings coach for the rest of the rivalry period.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I went to one Packer- vike game at the met--- 1965--- I sat behind two old Packer backer women who were staying warm with the tiny bottles.---- Starr was knocked out and wobbled off the field. Zeke came in and did a great job in a Packer win.

Me too... saw one game at the Met. Don't remember too much of it though...I was young.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too... saw one game at the Met. Don't remember too much of it though...I was young.
Me too.
I was 13 and the only reason I remember that is because my brother was a freshman at the University of Minnesota.
I remember it was a warm sunny day but I can't for the life of me remember who the Vikes played.
It was so out of character for my dad to bring us to a game like that it was unbelievable.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think something like 13 Packer-Viking games at the old Met were played in November and December.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too.
I was 13 and the only reason I remember that is because my brother was a freshman at the University of Minnesota.
I remember it was a warm sunny day but I can't for the life of me remember who the Vikes played.
It was so out of character for my dad to bring us to a game like that it was unbelievable.
I called my brother who still lives in Minnesota to ask him what he remembered about that game.
He said it was against the Bears and that it was the Vikings 1st game in history. That was in 1961.

Members online