Packers invite Graham Harrell to minicamp

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com

Graham Harrell was a great player coming out of the draft last season. Unfortunately noone was willing to give the kid a chance. I think a lot of his stats are inflated due to having Michael Crabtree as your No. 1 option. However Harrell throws one of the best spirals ever and could work on his arm strength. I see him as a bit above Brian Brohm with a lot more upside.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqPn-LEMDY]YouTube - Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell Official Highlight Reel[/ame]

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, really want him to be our 3rd QB. Just because I always liked him in college.

I have a feeling you will see him signed by Green Bay. They need a 3rd QB. They havent brought in anyone else nor have I heard any rumors about the Pack looking for or inviting another QB in. I think they are going to try to slide this one in under the radar for cheap. As far the risk/benefit aspect, I think this is all benefit, there is virtually no risk in bringing a player like Graham in.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't we already have 2 other quarterbacks that we brought in though. Pizotti and the other UFA from this year? Shepphard I think?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Graham Harrell has Crabtree, but having a good WR doesn't automatically allow a QB to rack up #'s like he put up.

His numbers, in the same confrence, were on par with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and the guy from Missouri who had Jeremy Maclin.

Harrell isn't too short.
His arm isn't too weak.
He's smart.
I think he has a chance.
Scouts failed in their evaluations of Brady, Romo, Warner to name just a few. While at the same time they failed in their evaluations of Jarmarcus, Leaf, Harrington, Carr, Jason Campbell, Akili Smith, Timmy Couch, etc.

Scouts and GM's don't know everything. Sometimes a guy just needs the right opportunity. Kurt Warner proved that. Undrafted. Had to go to NFLE. We (Holmgren) knew QBs very well, gave Warner a look, determined he wasn't worth keeping.

A few years later he sets NFL records and has the greatest season for a QB in the history of the NFL, winning the regular season MVP and the Super Bowl MVP.
Then he ends up a NY Giant, and they give up on him. So was he bad, washed up? Nope. Look what he did for the Arizona Cardinals afterwards.

It's often about opportunity. A lot of these guys have good arms and heads. Some just don't get a fair chance.

I still think Brady Quinn has the ability to become a good NFL starting QB. But he wasn't put into a position in Cleveland where he could succeed. And now they have drafted Tebow so he's screwed.

I also think Leinart can become a good one. I remember he looked pretty good as a rookie when he was in a groove there.

Anyway, I hope we sign Harrell and give him a fair chance.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Graham Harrell has Crabtree, but having a good WR doesn't automatically allow a QB to rack up #'s like he put up.

His numbers, in the same confrence, were on par with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and the guy from Missouri who had Jeremy Maclin.

Harrell isn't too short.
His arm isn't too weak.
He's smart.
I think he has a chance.
Scouts failed in their evaluations of Brady, Romo, Warner to name just a few. While at the same time they failed in their evaluations of Jarmarcus, Leaf, Harrington, Carr, Jason Campbell, Akili Smith, Timmy Couch, etc.

Scouts and GM's don't know everything. Sometimes a guy just needs the right opportunity. Kurt Warner proved that. Undrafted. Had to go to NFLE. We (Holmgren) knew QBs very well, gave Warner a look, determined he wasn't worth keeping.

A few years later he sets NFL records and has the greatest season for a QB in the history of the NFL, winning the regular season MVP and the Super Bowl MVP.
Then he ends up a NY Giant, and they give up on him. So was he bad, washed up? Nope. Look what he did for the Arizona Cardinals afterwards.

It's often about opportunity. A lot of these guys have good arms and heads. Some just don't get a fair chance.

I still think Brady Quinn has the ability to become a good NFL starting QB. But he wasn't put into a position in Cleveland where he could succeed. And now they have drafted Tebow so he's screwed.

I also think Leinart can become a good one. I remember he looked pretty good as a rookie when he was in a groove there.

Anyway, I hope we sign Harrell and give him a fair chance.

I agree that scouts make a lot of mistakes in their evaluation. I'm still undecided about Harrell's situation though. He was given a chance by the Bengals in their minicamps but failed to impress. He was then picked up by the CFL and couldn't make it there as well.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that scouts make a lot of mistakes in their evaluation. I'm still undecided about Harrell's situation though. He was given a chance by the Bengals in their minicamps but failed to impress. He was then picked up by the CFL and couldn't make it there as well.
That's true. You never know.
But do you guys remember how bad Rodgers was for us initially?
And he was a 1st round pick too.

We don't need Harrell to be that good though.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical TT QB, plays out of the shotgun, monster stats. Kliff Kingsbury was the same way. Didn't make it in the pros. I am never really sold on system QB's on this and unless he can learn pro style he wouldn't be much more than a 3rd string. Would be nice having him though, I think anyone with those numbers and Big 12 exp. has alot of talent and potential. Could be a great backup down the road. Wouldn't mind cutting one of the 3 FB's for him (save Johnson, so 2.)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical TT QB, plays out of the shotgun, monster stats. Kliff Kingsbury was the same way. Didn't make it in the pros. I am never really sold on system QB's on this and unless he can learn pro style he wouldn't be much more than a 3rd string. Would be nice having him though, I think anyone with those numbers and Big 12 exp. has alot of talent and potential. Could be a great backup down the road. Wouldn't mind cutting one of the 3 FB's for him (save Johnson, so 2.)
I just have to ask, how is a system QB a typical TT QB????

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His TT meant Texas Tech.
But Aaron Rodgers was also a system QB who bucked the trend.

Harrell is decent. He's gotta be better than Jake Delhomme!
I believe Cal ran a pro-style offense...

Aaron Rogers - 2005 NFL Draft Prospect Aaron Rogers

He was remarkably efficient in Jeff Tedford's pro-style offense, and he should make a quick transition to the NFL.

Brohm was a pro-style QB. I don't know about Flynn in LSU, but I think it was a pro-style offense. Don't remember the Seattle QBs.

It makes much more sense if TT is Texas Tech, and not Ted Thompson...

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal did run Pro Style with Tedford... I think.

Sorry I meant Texas Tech. The shotgun five wide hand the ball off 3 times a game style. Sorry for the confusion.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just guessing from afar but it appeared poor Brohm just couldn't handle the speed of the pro-game. His developement compared to Flynn is remarkable, and this is no compliment. Maybe he can flourish in Buffalo but it won't be easy on that squad...

Recluse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time post here. For the record, I've been a Pack fan since the mid-60's and Lombardi's teams of McGee, Starr, Kramer, Thurston, Taylor, Pitts, Anderson, Jordan, et al. Still in my opinion, the greatest example of an NFL franchise in history during those years.

Regarding Harrell--

I watched the young man play many a game at my alma mater (Texas Tech University). Here is my take:

--He needs beefing up; something that today's conditioning and weight coaches are very good at.

--The guy is smart. I mean, smart as in Bart Starr kind of smart. Big 12 defenses feared this kid because he'd read their defense and literally pick them apart--and he made it look like child's play . . . and we have some pretty stout defenses in the Big 12. Give him a good QB coach, teach him how to watch and learn from film the NFL way, and this guy will dissect any defense he comes up against.

--He has good arm strength, but nothing like an Elway or Favre or Aikman. However, where this kid could possibly exceed all of them is with his accuracy. It is uncanny. Troy Aikman was renown for his accuracy, and he commented on Harrell's accuracy to the (Dallas) media on occasion.

--In the intangibles category, this young man will not embarrass the franchise through criminal behavior or poor social decisions. He's the kind of kid that a Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry or Don Shula would've loved to take in, teach and mentor for a few years, then go out and win championships with.

This is the first quarterback from Texas Tech that I ever honestly thought had a real shot of not just making it in the NFL, but in doing extremely well.

Just my two-cents.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time post here. For the record, I've been a Pack fan since the mid-60's and Lombardi's teams of McGee, Starr, Kramer, Thurston, Taylor, Pitts, Anderson, Jordan, et al. Still in my opinion, the greatest example of an NFL franchise in history during those years.

Regarding Harrell--

I watched the young man play many a game at my alma mater (Texas Tech University). Here is my take:

--He needs beefing up; something that today's conditioning and weight coaches are very good at.

--The guy is smart. I mean, smart as in Bart Starr kind of smart. Big 12 defenses feared this kid because he'd read their defense and literally pick them apart--and he made it look like child's play . . . and we have some pretty stout defenses in the Big 12. Give him a good QB coach, teach him how to watch and learn from film the NFL way, and this guy will dissect any defense he comes up against.

--He has good arm strength, but nothing like an Elway or Favre or Aikman. However, where this kid could possibly exceed all of them is with his accuracy. It is uncanny. Troy Aikman was renown for his accuracy, and he commented on Harrell's accuracy to the (Dallas) media on occasion.

--In the intangibles category, this young man will not embarrass the franchise through criminal behavior or poor social decisions. He's the kind of kid that a Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry or Don Shula would've loved to take in, teach and mentor for a few years, then go out and win championships with.

This is the first quarterback from Texas Tech that I ever honestly thought had a real shot of not just making it in the NFL, but in doing extremely well.

Just my two-cents.
Hey welcome Red Raider Packer fan.
I also live in Texas, the heart of Big 12 Country, and root for Tech more than any other team. I agree that Harrell is legit. He's got perfect heighth at 6-2, and I believe his arm is as strong as some great QBs arm was, like Montana for example. Rocket arms aren't everything, otherwise Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell would be headed for Canton.

But I cracked up at the part about Big 12 having good defenses!
That conference made:
Colt McCoy
Graham Harrell
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Todd Reesing
Zac Robinson

All look like 1984 Dan Marino!
I've never seen QB's rack up passing yards, TDs, and high ratings like they did in this conference from at least 2007-on.

Members online

Latest posts