Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also keeping Philben wont be huge anyway because Lafleur will call the plays.
True enough, LeFleur will be running the offense. Anyway, Rodgers likes Philben and the team will play for him, so if they keep him I don't see the harm.
Maybe Philben could even act as a buffer between LeFleur and Rodgers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been like five minutes. Calm down, dude.

I know Snoops has a case of the Murdock syndrome from seeing the kind of posts I have, not to mention I believe he was one of those McDaniels sycophants who's bummed his guy didn't get the job. But you have these rumors that fly around about who gets retained and who doesn't and they are a bit discomforting to say the least. Not to mention I don't like that Murphy just told the entire McCarthy coaching staff they could just stick around to see if the next HC wanted them.

Sure, maybe some have earned at least that, but a number of them have not and should have been gone the second the Detroit game clock hit zero. One only hopes LaFleur is picking carefully and realizing this team needs several major staff changes, and even more so that our CEO is not interfering here. If that's the case, the board needs to take some serious action here.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Snoops has a case of the Murdock syndrome from seeing the kind of posts I have, not to mention I believe he was one of those McDaniels sycophants who's bummed his guy didn't get the job. But you have these rumors that fly around about who gets retained and who doesn't and they are a bit discomforting to say the least. Not to mention I don't like that Murphy just told the entire McCarthy coaching staff they could just stick around to see if the next HC wanted them.

Sure, maybe some have earned at least that, but a number of them have not and should have been gone the second the Detroit game clock hit zero. One only hopes LaFleur is picking carefully and realizing this team needs several major staff changes, and even more so that our CEO is not interfering here. If that's the case, the board needs to take some serious action here.
I didn’t want mcdaniels! Lol I wanted **** rexy! In all honesty the hire doesn’t affect me one bit.. I’m a packers fan and as long as they are winning that’s all I care about it’s hilarious how serious everyone gets

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we calm down about Ron Zook. Matt LeFlur has not even spoken to the other Coordinators on the team yet or even had a press conference yet.

The dude is probably not even in Green bay yet. Give it a few days please.

It's not just Zook. Joe Whitt and Mark Lovat are also thieving perpetrators who should've followed McCarthy out the door, and if they're kept around here, that's just as bad.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOOHOO!! One of candidates I wanted. That Shanahan coaching tree. I expect an awesome run game and savy route running. Im excited and cant wait for April. #gopackgo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this was early 1959, we'd all just go bowling and wait to see if the new guy was any better than Scooter. No reason to get your blood pressure rising so early in the process.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
We must react quickly, emotionally and with great fervor or something

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not just Zook. Joe Whitt and Mark Lovat are also thieving perpetrators who should've followed McCarthy out the door, and if they're kept around here, that's just as bad.

I know its not just Zook. Give the new guy the time to be in Green Bay for a few days before starting a riot.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I like the hire. We wanted someone who would run a modern Rams-type offense, and here we have their former OC.

The 2017 Rams offense was nowhere near as good as the 2018 Rams offense.

2018 Packers under MM gained 369 yards on offense:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

2017 Rams under LaFleur gained 361 yards on offense:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know its not just Zook. Give the new guy the time to be in Green Bay for a few days before starting a riot.

Lol I don't think we need that. And it's really not LaFleur I'm up in arms about; it's Mark Murphy. I really think the way he's gotten out of his lane and not just left this all up to Gute is bad.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep telling ourself that buddy Haha. I hope this team does well next year because right now it’s lokking like they made a mistake. I’ll reserve judgement for now.

Sounds to me like you really haven't reserved judgement at all. They didn't hire your guy so LaFleur will always be questionable in you mind (and a lot of other fans.) If McDaniels does get a HC job the Packers will be embroiled in another competition a la Rodgers/Smith for as long as they remain employed and knowing Packer fans for the next 50 years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
......and McVay called the plays for the Rams both years. LaFluer was just a glorified qb coach with a higher title but no playcalling responsibility.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - I admit I do not know much about La Fleur. But if Zook and Philbin are allowed to stay the egg is rotten and Murphy is calling the shots. Pettine is very questionable to keep as well. I didnt see any difference in the D than Capers. I expect Zook, Philbin, and Whitt to get the heave ho or La Fleur doesnt see the forest for the trees. Pettine had limited time but I saw no and I mean no consistency out of the defensive unit. The minute the team got up the D fell apart. No pass rush and seldom obvious blitzes should have been called. I'm more than willing to give La Fleur ample opportunity to turn this team in the right direction but not chucking the bad eggs shows an ineptitude. Just sayin.

How about we wait and see what happens before jumping into a rant. For crying out loud the guy hasn't even been announced yet and already people are complaining because he hasn't fired the right people.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we wait and see what happens before jumping into a rant. For crying out loud the guy hasn't even been announced yet and already people are complaining because he hasn't fired the tight people.
Why just the tight ones? Fluffy ones are safe?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I’m a grown man, and real man stand by what they sayright or wrong. I could care less if I get ridiculed. I know what I know and I know what I was told. Don’t forget that I said why I thought McDaniels wouldn’t get the job of they chose another HC....the way things are looking now I was exactly correct. Not only does it look like hey will retain Pettine? But it looks like they want to keep Philbin as well! You guys can harp on me all you want but this smells like Murphy has his hands all over who Lafleurs staff will be...just like I said he’d tried to do! Lafleur is another MM 2.0 who will be a yes man, try to get Rodgers back to 2011-12 Rodgers and basically be the scapegoat of this all blows up! I hope nothing but success for the guy...but please remember this post!
Please don't take shots every day at this new coach.. It may not look good right away but please don't be biased

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope LeFleur is successful because that means the Packers are winning. Its going to be on Gute to hit on a good draft and adding talent to the roster.

I'm sure the vast majority of fans feel this way but I wouldn't say all. Some are so spiteful that they will wish the team into the ground just so they can say "see I was right"

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t want mcdaniels! Lol I wanted **** rexy! In all honesty the hire doesn’t affect me one bit.. I’m a packers fan and as long as they are winning that’s all I care about it’s hilarious how serious everyone gets

You literally just spouted off and proposed we riot.....

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media better be ready to fire away at Murphy in the press conference. I want to know what his involvement is with retaining coaches. Hopefully he doesn't make a fool of himself again like he did after MM got fired and he had to defend his qualifications. All he needs to say and all he better say is that "This is Matt's staff to assemble"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A report comes out that Lafleur could consider keeping Philben and people are claiming Murphy is telling Lafleur who he has to keep? Do people know what the word could means? Also keeping Philben wont be huge anyway because Lafleur will call the plays. I hope they hire someone different but calm down people

Good point. Rodgers wanted Philbin right. If he isn't going to be calling plays or running the offense maybe he will just be ARs personal assistant and if it AR happy that's all that matters right. I mean we need somebody that AR respects.

The knock on guys like ML who were OCs who didn't call their own plays is that they were not important enough in their teams success but suddenly a guy who is not going to be important in the Packers organization is going to bring ruin and damnation upon the world, or at least our own little corner of it.

For crying out loud people let them actually hire a coach before you start to hang him for not making personnel decisions.

Reaction score
Last year Pettine got all 3 first and second day draft picks and we spent 4 picks doing it (by trading back into round 3).
This year, we need to follow suit by providing LaFleur adequate firepower on O.
Let’s focus on reinforcing the O line that will carry Rodgers through his current contract. Then we need to go after at least 2 Offensive weapons for Rodgers after that.
If we need to I’d consider trading our 32nd (presumed) and another pick to move into position if Cody Ford slips past 20.
Parris Campbell would be a nice addition day 2

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pros:
  • Peerless pedigree; has worked for Kubiak, Gruden, Shanahan, and McVay.
  • Rushing success; once LaFleur's scheme clicked, Henry went off. Final 8 games: 125 carries, 759 yards, 6.1 YPC, and 10 TD. Aaron Jones was born to play in this system.
  • Schematic fit; the blocking scheme that LaFleur favors marries well the personnel and he likes to get his QB out on the move which suits Rodgers.
Cons:
  • No prior HC experience.
  • Only one season exclusively running an offense.
  • His offense statistically flopped in Tennessee, albeit with an oft injured Mariota and Blaine Gabbert.
Unknowns:
  • Ability to be a global leader as opposed to just an offensive teacher and strategist.
  • Connections with capable assistants.
Conclusion: LaFleur was not my favorite option, but there are reasons to like his resume-- especially with the coaches he's learned under. I think he's a perfect schematic fit, but it remains to be seen what kind of leader and game manager he is.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams scored 30 PPG in 2017 and 33 PPG in 2018. They were great both years, and obviously a little better in 2018.

This, plus McVay was a rookie head coach in 2017 and the Rams were coming out of the shadows of the awful Jeff Fisher regime at the time. I mean damn pacmaniac, of course the 2018 Rams are going to be better as they should be, that's called progress. It had nothing to do with whether or not LaFleur was there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This, plus McVay was a rookie head coach in 2017 and the Rams were coming out of the shadows of the awful Jeff Fisher regime at the time. I mean damn pacmaniac, of course the 2018 Rams are going to be better as they should be, that's called progress. It had nothing to do with whether or not LaFleur was there.

You also have to consider that Kupp was a rookie in 2017 and they had Watkins, not Cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts