Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reeks of nepotism? Seriously? Because MLF knows him? LOL
Hafley is reported to be more than just someone he hardly knows. What is it when you hire a friend? That's nepotism. Is it bad in this case? Maybe, maybe not. I do like that he likes to play more man-to-man coverages.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t believe I’m gonna say this… I’m speechless… I haven’t read this thread yet, or even tried to begin to investigate this kid, but I will. I just wanted to quick comment. I did not see this coming.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact he runs a 4-3. The guy is coming here with a **** load of talent. That scheme change could be what’s missing with that talent. It could hit or it’ll be right where we are now. We’re all gonna have to realistically reserve judgment on him solely for the reason he’s so raw and “unproven”

Look. Most of us can probably admit we’ve been wrong about Jordan Love correct? Where he was drafted, what we traded to get there, blah blah blah. Also other things this team has done starting this rebuild. I say they have to know something we don’t. Grand scheme of things with this re transformation, they’ve done a pretty good job so that’s all I can go by and hope for. It sounds cookie cutter but that’s all we can do‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Earlier this season, I was listening to Andy Herman and Mike Wahle talking about the Packers defense. One of the comments that Wahle made stuck out to me. He said that tackling problems aren't insurmountable in today's NFL-- you just have to allocate the time to working on it. Most teams, Wahle said, want to spend nearly all their time on scheme and very little of it on fundamentals.

I read an article tonight about Hafley at Ohio State. He dedicated a ton of time to tackling and fundamentals. If he brings that to Green Bay, it's going to pay dividends.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are that he and Lafluer are friends.
Is this post literally what has you all jumping up and down throwing bananas?

This article says that they have never worked together, but are both part of the Shanahan tree since he coached under Robert Saleh in SF:

I found three articles that said that they are friends, all of which quoted ESPN's Pete Thamel. I've never heard of that guy so I'm not sure that I'm going to trust him as a source. Even if I did, whether or not they are friends makes no difference. We will know nothing until about Week 10 of the 2024. It usually takes about half a season for a defense to adjust to a new coordinator/scheme. Until that point, expect lots of communication errors and mistakes as everyone gets used to the new system.

Alright now, continue throwing your feces at one another!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? I like they’re shifting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 playing to the strengths of the defense.

I would like to assume they’ll keep JA in the fold as he is adept in man to man coverage.

Probably draft a bigger corner on the other side as Stokes cannot stay healthy.

Hopefully, the defense will blitz more and allow a single high safety to ballhawk.

Out of left field, but an interesting hire. Time will tell.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anybody say they are switching to a 4-3?
Shouldn't matter much either way as most teams line up nickel most of the time including us. Gary, Smith and Ness all can switch to DE easily.

What I read and like is that he coaches an aggressive defense. We need that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Is this post literally what has you all jumping up and down throwing bananas?

This article says that they have never worked together, but are both part of the Shanahan tree since he coached under Robert Saleh in SF:

I found three articles that said that they are friends, all of which quoted ESPN's Pete Thamel. I've never heard of that guy so I'm not sure that I'm going to trust him as a source. Even if I did, whether or not they are friends makes no difference. We will know nothing until about Week 10 of the 2024. It usually takes about half a season for a defense to adjust to a new coordinator/scheme. Until that point, expect lots of communication errors and mistakes as everyone gets used to the new system.

Alright now, continue throwing your feces at one another!
I don't eat bananas ... now feces on the other hand...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hafley is reported to be more than just someone he hardly knows. What is it when you hire a friend? That's nepotism. Is it bad in this case? Maybe, maybe not. I do like that he likes to play more man-to-man coverages.
MLF probably is friends with many of the potential coaches. He seems a very gregarious guy. Should he have found someone he doesn't like? That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not unusual for coaches to know each other. They run into one another throughout their careers, as they change jobs, or attend different functions. It's also far from unusual when a HC decides they want someone they know for a position, because they at least know their disposition, and direction, before offering the job.

Since Hafely did serve as an assistant in the NFL, I'd say there's a darned good chance he has met over half of the HCs in the league.

I think it's grasping at straws to find a reason to dis the pick, for no real reason.

But, that's just my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman, Okudah...many others have spoken about Hefley. Bottom line I love GB was looking for (all candidates nearly) a defensive backfield minded coach that isn't locked into a Fangio scheme or mindset. I know everyone is talking about he is more a 4-3 than a 3-4 but truthfully we have the pieces to do both quite well and sub packages rule the roost usually anyways, I'm not going to get suckered into believing a roster overhaul is coming as some are saying (not here but in fan circles I've witnessed).

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anybody say they are switching to a 4-3?
Someone here posted that, although I haven't heard it elsewhere. I did hear that Hafley was proficient in both 4-3 and 3-4.

I'm not sure what to think. Sounds like MLF has gone for an up and comer, which will go along well with the young team, IF it works out. But I have a good gut feeling about it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to a short interview of this dude talking about defense and he won me over...I think he's gonna be good

Then I heard Richard Sherman talk about him in a short interview and that sealed the deal. Sherman is smart but he said dude makes the game plan so easy to understand and he's beyond prepared

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone here posted that, although I haven't heard it elsewhere. I did hear that Hafley was proficient in both 4-3 and 3-4.

I'm not sure what to think. Sounds like MLF has gone for an up and comer, which will go along well with the young team, IF it works out. But I have a good gut feeling about it.

In the interview I heard of him...he referenced "4 down linemen" but he also said the college game and NFL game arent really even comparable. Its a totally different game with relation to how you need to play defense

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen/researched and heard enough to be excited for the change, see the potential and zero clue to see or know how it will all turn out!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read every defense he came to, improved very quick. Other than that I had never heard of him. But, Browns, Niners, OSU and BC defensively got better.
He has a proven track record of making people better, especially DB's. I don't think Joe Barry could claim that when he was hired. We'll see how he does, but he has a good resume.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has experience in 3-4 and 4-3. I think he'll run whatever the talent he has dictates he should run. Doesn't sound like a guy who will try to plug square pegs into round holes.

Yup experience in both, with a leaning towards more a 4-3 base. Truthfully though our body types of our front 7 can manage either.....outside I really believe we need another mobile off ball LB that attacks downhill. I think Quay does well in a 4-3 base but as my MiLB I want someone different.

Members online

Latest posts