Packers have released Kingsley Keke

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As always, is it really all that hard to understand that some folks aren't happy with a great regular season record if it doesn't translate into playoff success (defined, as some do, as a Lombardi)? And, that those same folks are "fans"?
Ahhh yes, the "Lombardi or bust" syndrome that plagues some fans. I watched 13 awesome wins this season, what happens over the next 1-3 games will either add to that or do nothing...since a loss doesn't change my cumulative enjoyment of each of those 13 wins.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate everything about sports and being a fan if it all hinged on one specific game. That game drives every decision a team makes and is the entire goal...but as a fan that mentality would SUCK and I would hate everything to do with the sport.

Reaction score
Ahhh yes, the "Lombardi or bust" syndrome that plagues some fans. I watched 13 awesome wins this season, what happens over the next 1-3 games will either add to that or do nothing...since a loss doesn't change my cumulative enjoyment of each of those 13 wins.
I agree. I don’t understand why some people just can’t enjoy the ride. If we can only be happy with a Lombardi, we’re going to be very discouraged in the vast majority of seasons.
It’s very difficult winning Championships and coming to terms with that only makes it more special when it happens. Look at the Bucks, they could’ve won it the year prior.. but it was falling short a year earlier that made this one extra special.

I love the fact we might have to knock off 49ers and Tampa. That’s a challenge but I love the idea of that because it fulfills the rest of our story. There’s a lot of history there

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, in fact I sort of felt that way during the Gory Years. Each win was great, in and of itself. My problem, and apparently it IS a problem, is expectation. When the Pack is a favorite to win it all and falls short, that failure is more negative to me than the positives of getting there. Actually wish I could feel that this year is already a success, regardless. Carry on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I view a Packer season like a 3 course meal. You have the appetizers, the preseason. Then the main course....the regular season. The dessert is obviously the playoffs/Super Bowl.

I'm not much of an appetizer guy, but I do like sampling things and seeing how they taste. Which is a lot like preseason. Fun to get the activity (Packer Season) started, but watch with a casual eye and rate new players and see if old ones are improving.

The Main course is the longest and possibly the best part of a meal. Some teams only get the first 2 courses and a team like the Lions, get stuck with 5 day leftover meatloaf for their main course. Meanwhile, as a Packer fan I pretty much dined on a filet mignon, with a perfect salad, potato, green beans and some vintage wine to wash it down.

If I am lucky enough to be offered dessert, I definitely love it. Can be as simple as a scoop of ice cream and its over or a full on dessert menu with cakes, pies and Crème brûlée to top it off. If I make it that far, I'm loosening my belt and releasing the top button of my pants and sitting back and talking about a completely satisfying experience.

Reaction score
Fair enough, in fact I sort of felt that way during the Gory Years. Each win was great, in and of itself. My problem, and apparently it IS a problem, is expectation. When the Pack is a favorite to win it all and falls short, that failure is more negative to me than the positives of getting there. Actually wish I could feel that this year is already a success, regardless. Carry on.
Makes sense. However I wonder how often we bring our failures into reality because we play failure through our minds ahead of time.
It’s interesting but Rodgers subscribes to that thinking. This last week he asked his team to envision being at the Super Bowl ceremony. Giving an interview. Imagining the feeling of that moment.
We can become what we fear. We can also become what we think about. That’s not an old saying, it’s being proven at the microscopic level in studies at major Universities (Brown University) It also fits biblical teaching (Romans 8:14-17)

We can be half empty or half full…
or we can fill that emptiness with water and it displaces the emptiness.
I’m sorry I had to offer that! :roflmao:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love the fact we might have to knock off 49ers and Tampa. That’s a challenge but I love the idea of that because it fulfills the rest of our story. There’s a lot of history there
I'm totally fine with having to knock off the 49'ers and the Rams too. :) I agree that it would feel like payback to knock off the 2 teams that have knocked us out of the past 2 NFCCG's, but beating the Rams would be fun too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view a Packer season like a 3 course meal. You have the appetizers, the preseason. Then the main course....the regular season. The dessert is obviously the playoffs/Super Bowl.

I'm not much of an appetizer guy, but I do like sampling things and seeing how they taste. Which is a lot like preseason. Fun to get the activity (Packer Season) started, but watch with a casual eye and rate new players and see if old ones are improving.

The Main course is the longest and possibly the best part of a meal. Some teams only get the first 2 courses and a team like the Lions, get stuck with 5 day leftover meatloaf for their main course. Meanwhile, as a Packer fan I pretty much dined on a filet mignon, with a perfect salad, potato, green beans and some vintage wine to wash it down.

If I am lucky enough to be offered dessert, I definitely love it. Can be as simple as a scoop of ice cream and its over or a full on dessert menu with cakes, pies and Crème brûlée to top it off. If I make it that far, I'm loosening my belt and releasing the top button of my pants and sitting back and talking about a completely satisfying experience.
Outstanding way to look at it. Great analogy - except now I am hungry.

If you can't enjoy it unless it ends in SB victory, you are losing at life. It is all about the journey and not the destination.

My father was a negative packer fan. Packers could be up by 40 pts and one play blows up and he would get bent out of shape and start yelling that they suck. When Pack beat the Steelers in 96 SB I called him thinking he would be happy. He just gripped about nearly pissing it away at the end. It was sad he didn't enjoy the games, never understood why he watched.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or
I think many people feel this way. Having a winning record and losing in the playoffs only negates a "winning season" and contradicts the team of being the best and only argues the significance of having a playoff.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you can't enjoy it unless it ends in SB victory, you are losing at life. It is all about the journey and not the destination.

My father was a negative packer fan. Packers could be up by 40 pts and one play blows up and he would get bent out of shape and start yelling that they suck. When Pack beat the Steelers in 96 SB I called him thinking he would be happy. He just gripped about nearly pissing it away at the end. It was sad he didn't enjoy the games, never understood why he watched.
I wasn't going to pursue this, but I felt I was being called to do so. That's exactly how I was feeling, just knowing that they were going to find a way to blow it. :) Once the gun went off, I was fine and felt as good as anyone about the win. However, how did y'all feel about the Denver Super Bowl, the Seattle collapse, the 15-1 season, et. al. I was in a Packer forum in 2011, and the owner specifically asked me to stop raining on the parade by noting the team's deficiencies, despite the record. I stopped posting, but at the end of that Packer season, the owner nearly cut his wrists online. Just don't see the harm in, for those things over which I have no control, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 17 games that the Packers have already played are in the books. Nothing can change the experience you had in watching each of those. Now come the playoffs. If the Packers get knocked out, it will be a disappointment, but for me, it won't change my experience of the other 17 games. Is a playoff loss harder to take than the one to the Lions? Of course it is, is a Super Bowl win greater than any of the other 19 the Packers had this season? Of course it is.

You can even look at your experience over one game, a single loss and think about all the highs you experienced during that game. Yes, the loss makes those highs seem like a distant memory, but you still had them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t understand why some people just can’t enjoy the ride. If we can only be happy with a Lombardi, we’re going to be very discouraged in the vast majority of seasons.
It’s very difficult winning Championships and coming to terms with that only makes it more special when it happens. Look at the Bucks, they could’ve won it the year prior.. but it was falling short a year earlier that made this one extra special.

It's not about the lack of enjoyment for many but the investment in emotions and money to have this false hope knowing your team will fail in the playoffs but to have an endear attachment of a nice regular season record that puts people off.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would hate everything about sports and being a fan if it all hinged on one specific game. That game drives every decision a team makes and is the entire goal...but as a fan that mentality would SUCK and I would hate everything to do with the sport.
It is why a lottery doesn't just have just 1 winner. If they did, nobody would want to play.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point of view. I don’t really share it … but I do understand it. However this discussion started because of a particular poster crying about how bad of a job the GM of a team has done putting together a team that achieved 3 straight 13 win seasons. I would submit that a team capable of that has not been mismanaged. Failing to get the Lombardi at that point can be caused by many things …. but I wouldn’t point the finger at the GM.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
a particular poster crying about how bad of a job the GM of a team has done putting together a team that achieved 3 straight 13 win seasons. I would submit that a team capable of that has not been mismanaged. Failing to get the Lombardi at that point can be caused by many things …. but I wouldn’t point the finger at the GM.
Spot on and if that were the case, 31 teams should be looking for a new GM, headcoach and 53 new players each year. I think it would be easier just to not worry about that one fans expectations not being met? :D

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly agree. They've put together a fine team. It's that fact that makes falling short of the goal each year all the harder to take. Two entirely separate discussions (although, find me a thread that doesn't have at least two :)).

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always, is it really all that hard to understand that some folks aren't happy with a great regular season record if it doesn't translate into playoff success (defined, as some do, as a Lombardi)? And, that those same folks are "fans"?
That should be the difference between Bears fans and Packers fans. Bears fans would be happy to just make the playoffs. I think many Packer fans have higher standards than that, understandably, since the Packers are the team with the most NFL championships and have had 2 straight HOF QBs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That should be the difference between Bears fans and Packers fans. Bears fans would be happy to just make the playoffs. I think many Packer fans have higher standards than that, understandably, since the Packers are the team with the most NFL championships and have had 2 straight HOF QBs.
Between 1972 and 1994 the Packers made the playoffs in only 1 season. 1983...they won their first game and lost their second. Anytime the Packer teams even sniffed the playoffs with a month to go in the season, I bet the fan base was going nuts.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between 1972 and 1994 the Packers made the playoffs in only 1 season. 1983...they won their first game and lost their second. Anytime the Packer teams even sniffed the playoffs with a month to go in the season, I bet the fan base was going nuts.
I lived through the wait-till-next-year era. Bunch of years we were a 500 team. Always felt like we were going to take the next step and go to the playoffs. That was the hope. Maybe that is why I appreciate the winning now.

Reaction score

I’m not sure this applies directly. But I sometimes get clients that come in my office and want to stand after I offer them a seat. So I decided about a year ago to convince them to sit down. I make no eye contact and I lie and calmly tell them that my Dad used to stand over me just before he beat me (obviously he never did that) but I don’t break a smile or give any indication of joking.
You’d be absolutely impressed with how quickly they sit down out of pure concern for my well being.

One of my fellow managers heard this and started copying me with his clients. He said if they remain standing? Hes considering telling them that “it wasn’t my fault i went to prison.. Dad provoked me one too many times”

Moral of the story: You can get people to sit down if your story is better then their story.
Enjoy the Ride this Saturday! Also feel free to stand and watch the game!

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure this applies directly. But I sometimes get clients that come in my office and want to stand after I offer them a seat. So I decided about a year ago to convince them to sit down. I make no eye contact and I lie and calmly tell them that my Dad used to stand over me just before he beat me. I don’t break a smile or give any indication of joking.
You’d be absolutely impressed with how quickly they sit down out of pure concern for my well being.

One of my fellow managers heard this and started copying me with his clients. He said if they remain standing? Hes considering telling them that “it wasn’t my fault i went to prison.. I was provoked”.

You can get people to sit down if your story is better then their story.
OH MY.!! I'm your client!!!

Not really. But there is a chance one of them posts here and will be offended.

Otherwise. I love it!

Members online

Latest posts