Packers have released Kingsley Keke

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on blocking and STs. Both are needed qualities, and if that's the case, I really don't care where he ranks as a WR. As long as he can contribute somewhere. And STs can't lose anyone who actually knows how to play there. I can see him as a good gunner.

I suspect EQ will be back and battle for that last WR spot. He will have a leg up on any young rookies or bottom FA signings due to years here and ST/blocking refinement. The fact he is very smart and seems gifted to have production click someday is just a bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kingsley released again and cleared waivers. Given the abrupt way he was released by the Packers in January, I don't expect he or the Packers will be interested in getting back together.

The Texans releasing Keke at this point of the offseason makes me wonder if he has some issues no team in the NFL will be interested in dealing with.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Doesn't look good when a 5th rounder and a UDFA can push you out the door before practices even start. Someone will sign him for vet minimum if they need depth.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks to me like he's pushing himself out these doors.
Has to be his personality, because his abilities on the field really weren't that bad.

He'll probably end up in Dallas or Cleveland. Those 2 teams seem to enjoy taking on the headaches.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans releasing Keke at this point of the offseason makes me wonder if he has some issues no team in the NFL will be interested in dealing with.
He earned playing-time raise (accrued w/ GB) and was due a salary increase of $1.468Mil (I think to $2.5Mil for '22)... wasn't worth that to Houston w/ their new draft picks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has to be his personality, because his abilities on the field really weren't that bad.

He'll probably end up in Dallas or Cleveland. Those 2 teams seem to enjoy taking on the headaches.
I was also thinking Belichik and the Raiders are two places with a track record of taking on the headcases.

D

Deleted member 6794

He earned playing-time raise (accrued w/ GB) and was due a salary increase of $1.468Mil (I think to $2.5Mil for '22)... wasn't worth that to Houston w/ their new draft picks.

The Texans could have waited until final roster cut downs before they had to pay him a single cent. Therefore them releasing him in May doesn't bode well for his future in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Texans could have waited until final roster cut downs before they had to pay him a single cent. Therefore them releasing him in May doesn't bode well for his future in the league.
Actually, it might give him time and another opportunity or 2. Being released during the final cutdowns would mean that if he is lucky, a team that has already shed a bunch of players, wants to look at him. Once the season starts, it isn't easy to move around the depth chart, unless there are injuries.

I can also see your point, if he was released solely due to personality issues, I can see other teams viewing that as a red flag and not wanting to even bring him into camp.

Reaction score
Actually, it might give him time and another opportunity or 2. Being released during the final cutdowns would mean that if he is lucky, a team that has already shed a bunch of players, wants to look at him. Once the season starts, it isn't easy to move around the depth chart, unless there are injuries.

I can also see your point, if he was released solely due to personality issues, I can see other teams viewing that as a red flag and not wanting to even bring him into camp.
There are higher profile players that can get away with being abrasive with team or staff members. Yet guys like him are a dime a dozen in this league and he obviously doesn’t recognize that.
I’m glad though for the Packers in particular, because Keke’s departure was part of the reasoning for bringing in Reed and now Wyatt.

We now have 3 DT on our Roster that were deemed top 50 overall selections in their respective Drafts.
At one point or another all 3 DT were either selected in Day1 or projected in Day 1 (Reed 6.7 draft grade Clark 6.3 grade Wyatt 6.35 grade)

I’d like to see us keep Lowry if possible.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’d like to see us keep Lowry if possible.
Lowery provides very good rotational depth. However, it comes at a pretty high price. If the Packers stay health on the Dline through August and Wyatt, as well as another backup (Heflin, Slaton, a rookie) steps up, he could be expendable. He's a guy that they actually could probably trade for another player, with a team that lacks a decent DL, but is deep at a position that the Packers need someone (OLB, CB, TE, WR).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t put it out of the realm of possibility if we are comfortable with what Wyatt is and if we feel Byers, Ford and/or Heflin are going to progress (and Slaton progressing well) Lowry could be a cost savings cut in hopes to have the cap space for mid season move at a spot that is needed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't imagine any other reason than personal issues having been the reason for the Texans to release him at this point of the offseason.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't imagine any other reason than personal issues having been the reason for the Texans to release him at this point of the offseason.
Agree. That coupled with the timing of his release from the Packers leads me to believe that this is off field related.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Could be, but if you look around the league, teams are releasing players to make room for others. I doubt all these players are being released, due to personal issues. Just the nature of the game, especially after a draft. Again, I am not saying that Keke's release wasn't due to things beyond his football abilities, but for people to conclude that it was solely due to that, without actual knowledge, is a bit short sighted IMO.

Reaction score
Could be, but if you look around the league, teams are releasing players to make room for others. I doubt all these players are being released, due to personal issues. Just the nature of the game, especially after a draft. Again, I am not saying that Keke's release wasn't due to things beyond his football abilities, but for people to conclude that it was solely due to that, without actual knowledge, is a bit short sighted IMO.

I can’t find it now, but I read a report that there was some altercation with the coaching staff about his status after Covid last year. Not sure if you remember but we sat him for a series of games after he completed protocols.
This part is my guess. I think Keke was disgruntled that he wasn’t seeing the field (I’m not sure the of the Packers reasoning for sitting him but I suspect maybe a bad or abrasive attitude towards the staff)
I think his release came from MLF himself. His name was mentioned anyway

Edit. Found it

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can’t find it now, but I read a report that there was some altercation with the coaching staff about his status after Covid last year. Not sure if you remember but we sat him for a series of games after he completed protocols.
This part is my guess. I think Keke was disgruntled that he wasn’t seeing the field (I’m not sure the of the Packers reasoning for sitting him but I suspect maybe a bad or abrasive attitude towards the staff)
I think his release came from MLF himself. His name was mentioned anyway

Edit. Found it

Yup and I think that was all talked about previously in this thread. All I am saying is that just because the Packers released him due to his confrontation with a coach, doesn't mean that the same thing happened with the Texans. Despite me saying the following (below) right after his release, I still think we don't know exactly why the Texans released him.

Reaction score
Yup and I think that was all talked about previously in this thread. All I am saying is that just because the Packers released him due to his confrontation with a coach, doesn't mean that the same thing happened with the Texans. Despite me saying the following (below) right after his release, I still think we don't know exactly why the Texans released him.
Had he asked Matt out on a date? would that have been sufficient cause? I mean. He was probably just hoping Matt would bring the Co C/C and it was a total misunderstanding. :eek:

I think whatever has been going on it’s self-induced. Lord has a way of taming the cowboy soul.
I should know! :whistling:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While there are currently players released around the league to make room for some others most of them don't have anywhere near as much NFL experience as Keke has.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys who are productive and have shown what Keke has don't get cut from crappy teams this time of year to make room for another scrub to try out. They don't even get cut from good teams this time of year, they at least make it to camp to compete and his ability would likely land him a spot on most 53's in the league based on ability alone.

I think it's fairly apparent he has something else behind these releases. The best predictor of the future is past behavior, it's not a stretch to think he was released this time of year because of things outside of football or talent. It's a stretch to think it wasn't.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys who are productive and have shown what Keke has don't get cut from crappy teams this time of year to make room for another scrub to try out. They don't even get cut from good teams this time of year, they at least make it to camp to compete and his ability would likely land him a spot on most 53's in the league based on ability alone.

I think it's fairly apparent he has something else behind these releases. The best predictor of the future is past behavior, it's not a stretch to think he was released this time of year because of things outside of football or talent. It's a stretch to think it wasn't.
The Texans have just under $12Mil salary cap left, and Keke earned a salary bump to $2.468Mil in '22. That would've made him the 21st highest cap# on the Texans. IF he wasn't projected to be a starter or big contributor they may have decided to cut him & have a low-priced vet as backup, instead. I'm sure he's got a strong personality or MLF wouldn't have cut him, but we don't know if that was a contributor in Houston as he may not have even been in their facility between 1/22/22 and getting cut.
"According to Wilson's sources, Keke's departure from Houston came down to a matter of salary numbers and the arrival of new defensive lineman like former Bill Mario Addison, who signed with Houston Monday." https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-signs-buffalo-bills-matt-bazirgan-free-agency-tracker

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lowery provides very good rotational depth. However, it comes at a pretty high price. If the Packers stay health on the Dline through August and Wyatt, as well as another backup (Heflin, Slaton, a rookie) steps up, he could be expendable. He's a guy that they actually could probably trade for another player, with a team that lacks a decent DL, but is deep at a position that the Packers need someone (OLB, CB, TE, WR).
Might be preferable to hang on to Lowry as injury insurance until October and see if any other teams get torn up from injuries to their d-line. His trade value may be greater in October.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans have just under $12Mil salary cap left, and Keke earned a salary bump to $2.468Mil in '22. That would've made him the 21st highest cap# on the Texans. IF he wasn't projected to be a starter or big contributor they may have decided to cut him & have a low-priced vet as backup, instead. I'm sure he's got a strong personality or MLF wouldn't have cut him, but we don't know if that was a contributor in Houston as he may not have even been in their facility between 1/22/22 and getting cut.
"According to Wilson's sources, Keke's departure from Houston came down to a matter of salary numbers and the arrival of new defensive lineman like former Bill Mario Addison, who signed with Houston Monday." https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-signs-buffalo-bills-matt-bazirgan-free-agency-tracker
maybe they just didn't want to pay him, But it's not like they're going to save any real money to get a vet of note. Keke wasn't just some scrub here, he had some pretty solid games. he had some head scratchers too, but the talent and potential was there. needed more consistency, but that's not uncommon for 5th round draft pick in his first few years. Most teams at any position start seeing potential and bright spots like we did from Keke, usually let that play out. 2 teams now have chosen not to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Might be preferable to hang on to Lowry as injury insurance until October and see if any other teams get torn up from injuries to their d-line. His trade value may be greater in October.
His trade value might go up, but if the Packers need some spare cap space to improve at another position and they don't get a deal done with Jaire, Lowry might be expendable. But I agree that you wait until at least the final week of August to see what is needed due to lack of talent or injuries.

Members online

Latest posts