Packers have a surprise at QB?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blanchard will have an extremely hard time making it to the 53. Tolzien is pencilled in as the backup to Rodgers and I don´t see Thompson giving up on Hundley after spending two draft picks to trade up for him.

agreed.

I guess they could put Hundley on the PS if he was completely terrible, but yes, he is by all means a camp arm.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess they could put Hundley on the PS if he was completely terrible, but yes, he is by all means a camp arm.
...and that scenario was discussed at length after the draft. Camp arm is 100% correct.

From a personal perspective, it's got to be hard for a kid to get invited to camp knowing that there is zero chance to make the roster. However, smart kids will understand that they are getting the opportunity to impress enough to get an opportunity with another team that isn't blessed with a good QB crop.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with opportunity, there is always a chance. Usually it's never realized and the odds are long, but sometimes those that have to overcome the most go the farthest. I like to root for that, even if unlikely

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a personal perspective, it's got to be hard for a kid to get invited to camp knowing that there is zero chance to make the roster. However, smart kids will understand that they are getting the opportunity to impress enough to get an opportunity with another team that isn't blessed with a good QB crop.

I've always thought this aboutt he WR's who sign as UDFA's in the TT era as well because he's been so good at drafting them since he's been here.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've always thought this aboutt he WR's who sign as UDFA's in the TT era as well because he's been so good at drafting them since he's been here.

There have been several undrafted WRs who made the team since 2005 with Jarrett Boykin and Ruvell Martin being the most successful.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Blanchard's chances of making the 53 are slim but his main competition is also new to the system. I don't think the Packers will risk losing Hundley on the PS so that's Blanchard's most likely spot if he's good enough. In the meantime, in addition to showcasing his skills to other NFL teams, Blanchard will be trained by a staff that knows what they're doing. Consider the work Tolzien has done on fundamentals in Green Bay after being in the league a couple of seasons before arriving. Blanchard will have a head start in that regard.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been several undrafted WRs who made the team since 2005 with Jarrett Boykin and Ruvell Martin being the most successful.

Sure, but generally speaking, trying to make this team and/or have a significant impact as an UDFA WR isn't a great bet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No doubt...just drafted TT guys are:

-Greg Jennings, second round, 2006
-Jordy Nelson, second round, 2008

-Randall Cobb, second round, 2011
-James Jones, third round, 2007
-Brett Swain, seventh round, 2008
-David Clowney, fifth round, 2007
-Terrence Murphy, second round, 2005
-Kevin Dorsey, seventh round, 2013
-Charles Johnson, seventh round, 2013
-Craig Bragg, sixth round, 2005

-Cory Rodgers, fourth round, 2006

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt...just drafted TT guys are:

-Greg Jennings, second round, 2006
-Jordy Nelson, second round, 2008

-Randall Cobb, second round, 2011
-James Jones, third round, 2007
-Brett Swain, seventh round, 2008
-David Clowney, fifth round, 2007
-Terrence Murphy, second round, 2005
-Kevin Dorsey, seventh round, 2013
-Charles Johnson, seventh round, 2013
-Craig Bragg, sixth round, 2005

-Cory Rodgers, fourth round, 2006

Right, and there was a point where Jordy, Greg, James, and Driver were all together. Good luck cracking that roster. I know Swain was on that SB team but jesus.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WW student here:

Blanchard is the best football player, and NFL capable player we've had in recent memory. Which is no small praise given the D-III Powerhouse's ability to groom players such as Matt Turk, Derek Stanley and Jake Kumerow on its way to six division three national titles since 2007. That includes Matt Behrendt who went undefeated his last two years and led the Warhawks to two National Titles. Admittedly I haven't seen as much of Blanchard as I have with Behrendt in recent memory, whom I actually had a class with last semester before he graduated, but I think Blanchard deserves a shot as a second or third QB on a team this year and if he keeps his play up he'll find it somewhere.

If the reports about Blanchard out playing Hundley so far are true, my only question is how much does he have to outplay him by to create a Brohm-Flynn scenario where Blanchard can pass his higher drafted competition. And even in this scenario he'd still be behind Scott Tolzien in an organization that doesn't like to keep three quarterbacks unless one is developmental.

Echoing earlier sentiments, Blanchard is likely nothing more than a camp arm for the Packers. Though as a Warhawk with great school pride, I'd love to see him stick somewhere this year, which I think he's capable of.

H

HardRightEdge

When one reads McCarthy's comments, it does give one pause:

"I'll just tell you what I told him when I met him in April," coach Mike McCarthy said this week. "I said, 'Why the hell don't you have a job?' Just after watching his workout and watching film of his time at Carolina. I just think there's a lot there to work with, as far as his physical talent. The young man's a winner, and he's in a good place.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...arly-camp-workouts-b99522195z1-308317541.html

Since Thompson cuts 5th. round draft picks about as often as he signs free agents or drafts the best available player ;), the idea of Blanchard bumping Hundley seems unlikely. Practice squad, maybe.

But we haven't even gotten past the running-around-in-underwear stage. I have not seen either of these guys play against NFL competition, even if it's second and third stringers in preseason, so I'll reserve judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see both stick with the team and develop under McCarthy, Clements, Rodgers et al.

Hundley clearly isn't ready but has all the physical tools you look for. His flags are mental, particularly his clock in recognizing and decision-making. That turned out to be Brohm's biggest short-coming too (He just couldn't speed up his clock to execute effectively). So it's very possible Hundley may never develop to his physical potential but I'd say his best chance is in Green Bay. At this point, it's hard to see Thompson exposing Hundley to be picked up for free by other teams so he's probably gonna take up a spot on the 53-man roster.

Blanchard also has prototypical size and the tools - regardless of where he played in college. He's more NFL-ready than Hundley, due to his 3 years on and off practice squads so he'll look better in camp and pre-season. He's had some injuries so I don't know if he has any PS eligibility but I hope he does because at this point I'd say his only shot to make the 53-man roster is if Tolzein goes down. If that happened Blanchard might even be the back-up.

I may be surprised but I don't think they can play Hundley in an actual game this year, though he could very well turn into an extra 2 or 3 rd. pick in 3 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Blanchard also has prototypical size and the tools - regardless of where he played in college. He's more NFL-ready than Hundley, due to his 3 years on and off practice squads so he'll look better in camp and pre-season. He's had some injuries so I don't know if he has any PS eligibility but I hope he does because at this point I'd say his only shot to make the 53-man roster is if Tolzein goes down. If that happened Blanchard might even be the back-up.

As far as I understand the practice squad rules Blanchard should be allowed another season on a team´s practice squad. I´m not totally sure about that though.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good news thanks WIMM. I think they both have a chance to make it if given a year or two to develop.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is right, I still don't know about the practice squad - "In addition, a player is allowed on the practice squad for two years. If a player is on the practice squad for six weeks, up fron three weeks per the previous agreement, in a season, it is considered a year of PS sevice. Players are only allowed to be on a practice squad for a third year if their team keeps 53 players on the active-inactive list at all times."

He was never on an active roster long enough to count for anything. He was on the Bears PS for plenty long to qualify as a year on the PS. However, he was cut from the Carolina PS exactly six weeks after signing, so I don't know if that one counts as his second year. Even if it does, the bolded part may permit this, his third year - if that refers to the Pack, I guess it means if they dip below 53 during the year, he has to be called up or released? Gotta luv the legalese.

D

Deleted member 6794

If this is right, I still don't know about the practice squad - "In addition, a player is allowed on the practice squad for two years. If a player is on the practice squad for six weeks, up fron three weeks per the previous agreement, in a season, it is considered a year of PS sevice. Players are only allowed to be on a practice squad for a third year if their team keeps 53 players on the active-inactive list at all times."

He was never on an active roster long enough to count for anything. He was on the Bears PS for plenty long to qualify as a year on the PS. However, he was cut from the Carolina PS exactly six weeks after signing, so I don't know if that one counts as his second year. Even if it does, the bolded part may permit this, his third year - if that refers to the Pack, I guess it means if they dip below 53 during the year, he has to be called up or released? Gotta luv the legalese.

Blanchard spent a season on the Bears and another one on the Panthers practice squad. Last season he was put on injured reserve during the preseason before he was released in December, thus accounting for an accrued season. Still, if I understand it correctly he would still be practice squad eligible.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as I understand the practice squad rules Blanchard should be allowed another season on a team´s practice squad. I´m not totally sure about that though.
That appears to be the case, with a caveat.

First, Blanchard's bios:

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Matt-Blanchard/17cbabdd-267b-4b78-a91e-f6937e109513

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/matt-blanchard/f166a274-c34f-44d5-873f-4a0575547a55/

He spent 12 games on PS with Chicago in '12 and 9 games on PS with Carolina on PS in '13.

According to the following link, which addresses the 2014 changes which are in force for 2015, 6 games on a PS constitutes a practice squad season. Blanchard's two seasons are the max, except that a player is allowed a 3rd. PS season only if the team maintains a full 53 man roster throughout the season.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-rules-eligibility-eagles-roster-cuts-waivers

"Article 33: The Practice Squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a Practice Squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.)"

As far as accrued seasons go, Blanchard has never been on a 53 man roster according to these bios. Whether his 2014 time on IR was a full year (Packers bio) or a partial season (Panthers bio, which looks like the correct one), the point should be moot. The CBA does not count IR time toward accrual, and I don't recall ever seeing a modification to this provision. Regardless, the 2014 changes opened up two spots for guys with less than two accrued seasons and he would qualify on that basis regardless of whether the IR treatment was modified at some point.

I seem to recall the Packers started 2014 with 52 players and then went at least one game later on at 52 after Mulumba went to IR. In any event, it looks like Blanchard would have to be bounced if the Packers opened the season at less than 53, or he would have to be bounced later on in the season if the Packers dropped under 53.

So, if the Packers like him enough to keep 4 QBs and forgo a little roster flexibility, he'd be good to go.

H

HardRightEdge

Blanchard spent a season on the Bears and another one on the Panthers practice squad. Last season he was put on injured reserve during the preseason before he was released in December, thus accounting for an accrued season. Still, if I understand it correctly he would still be practice squad eligible.
According to this link from 2013, which sounds authoritative, IR does not count toward accrued seasons:

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/

I don't recall any report modifying this provision.

You are correct that it shouldn't matter, even if the CBA provision was modified, at least with respect to the 2 PS spots that are available to guys with less than 2 accrued seasons who otherwise qualify on PS seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess it means if they dip below 53 during the year, he has to be called up or released? Gotta luv the legalese.
The actual CBA provision noted above is more specific; your conjecture looks to be correct. The Packers will have to keep a full active roster throughout the season or they'll have to cut him or promote him.

The rules are convoluted because they are a (1) a product of negotiations and (2) they balance competing, and evidently conflicted, interests.

The teams want to maximize opportunities to develop players. On the other hand, they want to limit their opponents' ability to stash players.

The NFLPA wants as many members as possible on one level. On another level, every opportunity afforded a developmental player threatens the veteran voting base. This fact is illustrated in the NFLPA agreeing to the rookie salary scale impacting future players which do not have a vote in exchange for benefits attractive to the existing voting base, such as better retiree benefits, a bigger piece of the TV revenue pie, etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

I seem to recall the Packers started 2014 with 52 players and then went at least one game later on at 52 after Mulumba went to IR. In any event, it looks like Blanchard would have to bounced if the Packers opened the season at less than 53, or he would have to be bounced later on in the season if the Packers dropped under 53.

The Packers started the 2014 season with 53 players on their roster. After Andy Mulumba was placed on injured reserve on Septmeber 19 the team went two games with only 52 before activating Luther Robinson before the October 2 vs. the Vikings.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers started the 2014 season with 53 players on their roster. After Andy Mulumba was placed on injured reserve on Septmeber 19 the team went two games with only 52 before activating Luther Robinson before the October 2 vs. the Vikings.
There you go...a roster flexibility consideration.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WW student here:

Blanchard is the best football player, and NFL capable player we've had in recent memory. Which is no small praise given the D-III Powerhouse's ability to groom players such as Matt Turk, Derek Stanley and Jake Kumerow on its way to six division three national titles since 2007. That includes Matt Behrendt who went undefeated his last two years and led the Warhawks to two National Titles. Admittedly I haven't seen as much of Blanchard as I have with Behrendt in recent memory, whom I actually had a class with last semester before he graduated, but I think Blanchard deserves a shot as a second or third QB on a team this year and if he keeps his play up he'll find it somewhere.

If the reports about Blanchard out playing Hundley so far are true, my only question is how much does he have to outplay him by to create a Brohm-Flynn scenario where Blanchard can pass his higher drafted competition. And even in this scenario he'd still be behind Scott Tolzien in an organization that doesn't like to keep three quarterbacks unless one is developmental.

Echoing earlier sentiments, Blanchard is likely nothing more than a camp arm for the Packers. Though as a Warhawk with great school pride, I'd love to see him stick somewhere this year, which I think he's capable of.
Shawnsta do you think Blanchard would clear waivers and make it to the PS? If he is that good TT may want to give him a year in the system but seems like PS is the only route. Thoughts? Also which scout found him?

Members online

Latest posts