Packers Have “Some” Interest In Bringing Adrian Peterson In For Visit, Likely To Wait Until After Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It will make me nauseous if the Patriots sign Peterson and once again make the rest of the NFL look like fools.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Barry Sanders would look mundane behind this OL. They're chosen to pass protect, not run block. A good reason they can't run for it on 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches.

I wonder why there are other teams that can figure it out and do both, but ours can't.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder why there are other teams that can figure it out and do both, but ours can't.

The key is figuring out the "entire picture". Although Green Bay lacks in some areas, it does pretty well in others and with Aaron Rodgers, I will take a good pass blocking OL over one that is only efficient at run blocking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There aren't a lot of offensive lines excelling both in pass protection and blocking for the run.

D

Deleted member 6794

Peterson has left the Patriots without a deal after his visit today.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it would be smart for Montgomery to lose some weight. He's not as talented as Faulk by any means though.
I disagree... Montgomery has impressed me from day one. He just needs to stay healthy...
The weight comment was sarcasm. Considering him and lacy have had the same ankle problems the last two years.

P.s.
You should let him play a healthy season before declaring him not worthy...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree... Montgomery has impressed me from day one. He just needs to stay healthy...
The weight comment was sarcasm. Considering him and lacy have had the same ankle problems the last two years.

P.s.
or perhaps you should ease up on the hyperbole and wait until Monty has proven something beyond one decent partial season before insulting a Hall of Fame member.

D

Deleted member 6794

P.s.

It's ridiculous to compare Montgomery to a Hall of Famer after a total of 80 carries, especially as he has struggled to gain yards against stacked boxes so far.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or perhaps you should ease up on the hyperbole and wait until Monty has proven something beyond one decent partial season before insulting a Hall of Fame member.
I remember Montgomery being sterling sharpesque before he moved to rb too.... :)

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
What could AP really do for us. He is getting quite old now with a number in injuries. He could be an adequate back but nothing too outstanding at this point.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
What could AP really do for us. He is getting quite old now with a number in injuries. He could be an adequate back but nothing too outstanding at this point.

Everyone was saying AP was done when he injuried his knee, but he came back strong ... - I wouldn't put too much into his stat from after the last injury; Most likely - whereever he ends up - AP will play with a chip on his shoulder. Regardless an AP on 65% would still be a significant upgrade to the Packers ... Alas, my bet is that AP ends up in NE after the draft ...

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone was saying AP was done when he injuried his knee, but he came back strong ...

That was more than five years ago though. Peterson hasn't been dominant ever since and even at 100% doesn't fit the Packers' scheme.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was more than five years ago though. Peterson hasn't been dominant ever since and even at 100% doesn't fit the Packers' scheme.

don't think the shotgun thing is that big of a deal. he led the league in rushing the season before last with 1485 yards. and I think the chip on his shoulder is gonna be legit. I believe the packers or the Patriots or some team would have already signed him if he only wanted 1 year 3-4 million he must be stuck on more than 1 year or 7-8 million for 1 year.

D

Deleted member 6794

don't think the shotgun thing is that big of a deal. he led the league in rushing the season before last with 1485 yards.

Once again, Peterson led the league in rushing yards in 2015 based on volume only as he ranked 12th in yards per carry that season. In addition there's no doubt he struggles running with the quarterback in the shotgun and the Packers shouldn't adapt their offensive scheme to accomodate a 32-year old running back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Peterson led the league in rushing yards in 2015 based on volume only as he ranked 12th in yards per carry that season. In addition there's no doubt he struggles running with the quarterback in the shotgun and the Packers shouldn't adapt their offensive scheme to accomodate a 32-year old running back.

He averaged 4.5 yards a carry which is a very respectable number for a staring rb. Montgomery averaged 5.9 but that was 77 carries compared to 327. For comparison in 2016 only 9 of the top 25 rushers averaged more than 4.5 a carry and 1 of them had only 131 carries, the rest basically had at least 200.

D

Deleted member 6794

He averaged 4.5 yards a carry which is a very respectable number for a staring rb.

I agree that it's a respectable number but not a dominant performance like him averaging six yards a carry in 2012.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's a respectable number but not a dominant performance like Peterson averaging six yards a carry in 2012.

yeah but that's the only time he averaged 6 in his career. Elliot the leader in 2016 averaged 5 and only 1 of the top 25 averaged 5.5 and that was the guy who had only 131 carries. in 2015 no rb in top 20 averaged more than 4.9. 2014 Murray averaged 4.7 and 4 of top 20 averaged 5 or more. So it seems to me any team would be happy to have their workhorse back average 4.5. I'm just saying if TT doesn't get one in the draft peterson isn't a bad fall back option to pair with Montgomery and Michaels.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm just saying if TT doesn't get one in the draft peterson isn't a bad fall back option to pair with Montgomery and Michaels.

Peterson isn't a good fit within the Packers offensive scheme though. Therefore I would prefer Thompson to use one of the team's mid round picks on a running back in this year's draft.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He averaged 4.5 yards a carry which is a very respectable number for a staring rb. Montgomery averaged 5.9 but that was 77 carries compared to 327. For comparison in 2016 only 9 of the top 25 rushers averaged more than 4.5 a carry and 1 of them had only 131 carries, the rest basically had at least 200.
I think the young teddy bridgewater, and his crap wrs should figure into Peterson's 4.5 ypc... he was a one man show that year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see strength, vision, and burst like before and then he got hurt again and came back too early and then was shelved. I guess if he was able to run like before, i don't care if he doesn't exactly "fit" this offense, he'd be a play action nightmare and a legitimate threat to take it to the house as well. So unlike giving up yards to Lacy for a 15 yard gain at mid field, Peterson could take it 60 for a score.

BUT, I'm not remotely convinced that Peterson still has that capability. Thus is not fitting this type of offense becomes a much larger factor. I would not be overly thrilled with a 5 million dollar contract for him, but I guess I'd have to see how it turned out. On the surface I wouldn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts