Packers contact Brunell

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Railbird.

Interesting, Brunell could finish where he started in the NFL. Kinda neat actually.

The search is on.

There's a "Help Wanted" sign posted outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave. in Green Bay, and former Packer Mark Brunell might come back to town to help fill it.

The Packers have already made contact with Brunell's agent to see if he's interested in coming back to be the the primary backup quarterback.

"The Packers this week talked to Brunell's agent, Bruce Tollner," reports Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, "and expressed at least some interest in a player the Packers brought into the NFL in the fifth round of the 1993 draft. Brunell has 150 starts in his career with Jacksonville and Washington, including nine starts as recently as 2006. But his skills have diminished to where he's strictly a backup after spending last season as the Redskins' No. 3 quarterback. They voided his contract in February to get under the 2008 salary."

Brunell's agent has said that the aging QB is not looking for a place to become a starter, and that he would play a mentor role with a new team. And that's what the Packers need right now.

"First, you have to be able to play the game," General Manager Ted Thompson told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "But if you have some experience, that's good. If you have some ability to be a mentor, that's probably good. I don't know if any of them are absolute requirements. The main thing is you find a good player."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good idea.

1. A-rod needs a backup.
2. Brunell could actually be somewhat serviceable if god forbid A-Rod goes down.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I said it early this week, it will be a QB that currently is smarter than talented, much of Brunell's game has passed him, but very intelligent QB that could help Aaron from the sidelines..

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Brunell doesn't think he's coming in as the starting QB.

The article clearly states a quote from his agent that he's looking for a backup role and not to be the starter.

I don't mind the idea, but I'd like to see Nall given a chance to beat Brunell out as the backup. I'd also like to see a couple of young guys given a chance to fight it out for the #3 QB spot.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Old quarterbacks never die........they just keep "passing away!" :lol:

Another "Cheesey Classic", Brunell would be a good move, but I still think nall can do the job as back-up.

Wait, wait, hold the phone, stop the presses, call the doctor, alert the town crier!

Cheesey took that one from me! ANOTHER one that he owes me!

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense. If we hit the playoffs, I like the fact that Brunell is around should an injury occur. Good leader and a smart QB. Still think Warner would be the best person for the role, but he may still have starter ambitions which would not make for a good lockeroom situation.

Members online

Latest posts