Packers are hoping they found another undrafted NFL free agent gem in Cody Heiman

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Willie Wood, a player who is in the NFL HOF, is not even mentioned in articles of this type, the often youthful writers (of best ever lists) thought process for establishing such a list is highly suspect to me. Some writers and fans insist that championships don't count unless they're from the Super Bowl era. Willie played in the SB and not only made a key interception to help ice the game but he also held the SB record for longest punt return - a record that stood for 17 years.

Wood was one of the all-time great Packers. Thanks for remembering him - He was special.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of Sam Shields the Packers haven't found any true gems in undrafted free agents over Thompson's tenure.

The Packers didn't draft a cornerback in the first round. ;)

TRUE GEM UDFA
Truman Williams - UDFA signed/released by Houston and signed to the Packers-he was awesome!
Ryan Grant - UDFA, trade from the NYG - couple 1000+ yard seasons, injuries caught up
SAM SHIELDS - Best UDFA signing in TT's career
Evan Dietrich Smith - still playing in the league

meh UDFA's that played

Frank Zombo - adequate contributor in SB45, I believe he is still playing
Atari Bigby - big hitter, that was it

I'm sure I'm missing a few, just pointing out some notables and gems found.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another example of why subjectivity and semantics make sports boards active. Of the four you list, certainly nobody is going to seriously contest Shields. However, when considering that the baseline is 'true UDFA gems', you note that two of them were previously signed by other teams (hence, not really UDFA but a trade and a waiver pick-up), and I'd be willing to bet that a poll here on EDS what result more in a rating of' 'almost-adequate stopgap' than 'gem' - if your own definition uses longevity as the prime criterion, then you're probably correct.

D

Deleted member 6794

TRUE GEM UDFA
Truman Williams - UDFA signed/released by Houston and signed to the Packers-he was awesome!
Ryan Grant - UDFA, trade from the NYG - couple 1000+ yard seasons, injuries caught up
SAM SHIELDS - Best UDFA signing in TT's career
Evan Dietrich Smith - still playing in the league.

As Half Empty already pointed out correctly Williams and Grant weren't signed in undrafted free agency by the Packers though.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another example of why subjectivity and semantics make sports boards active. Of the four you list, certainly nobody is going to seriously contest Shields. However, when considering that the baseline is 'true UDFA gems', you note that two of them were previously signed by other teams (hence, not really UDFA but a trade and a waiver pick-up), and I'd be willing to bet that a poll here on EDS what result more in a rating of' 'almost-adequate stopgap' than 'gem' - if your own definition uses longevity as the prime criterion, then you're probably correct.

Unfortunately, no one defined their version of "GEM UDFA".

IMO, a Gem UDFA is someone that can fill a hole as a starter, which all the ones I listed did. I think it's unfair to judge TT for not finding probowl UDFA.

That "Stopgap" (EDS) started and played well enough to earn a big contract from someone.

As Half Empty already pointed out correctly Williams and Grant weren't signed in undrafted free agency by the Packers though.

Tramon was signed by the Texans
Grant was signed by the Giants

later acquired by the Packers

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's unfair to judge TT for not finding probowl UDFA.

I'm not judging Thompson for not finding Pro Bowl players in undrafted free agency more often by any means but just wanted to refute the notion of the Packers being extremely successful compared to other teams in that area isn't true.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not judging Thompson for not finding Pro Bowl players in undrafted free agency more often by any means but just wanted to refute the notion of the Packers being extremely successful compared to other teams in that area isn't true.
Im good w that

He isnt the best, but he is above average for finding udfas, signed or traded for

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no one defined their version of "GEM UDFA".

IMO, a Gem UDFA is someone that can fill a hole as a starter, which all the ones I listed did. I think it's unfair to judge TT for not finding probowl UDFA.

That "Stopgap" (EDS) started and played well enough to earn a big contract from someone.

Tramon was signed by the Texans
Grant was signed by the Giants

later acquired by the Packers

Not sure if this is in agreement with or a rebuttal of my previous post. By paragraph/sentence:

1. The fact that there was a lack of definition of 'gem' was my original point. My own definition is basically looking at a someone, thinking 'now that guy can really play', and THEN realizing he's an UDFA.

2. Tied to #1, in that I don't agree that a gem is one who can fill a hole as a starter. I would agree that it's all gravy for TT, or anyone else, to find a pro bowl performer in an UDFA, but that wasn't the issue - finding a gem was.

3. EDS (now just Evan Smith) started every game for the Pack in 2013, then started every game he played for the Bucs. Prior to 2013, he started nine game over four years for the Pack, and after 2014 has started seven over two years for the Bucs, where he is now a backup center. His big contract pays him $2 mil/year less than Tretter, who started all of 10 games for the Pack. IMO, that's pretty much the definition of a stopgap.

4/5/6. Agree. As I and WIMM noted those two were not signed by the Pack as UDFA. If you're going to identify someone as an UDFA gem, they first have to be an UDFA. If they once were such, and you're going to label them that way throughout their career, then if Shields signed with a team willing to take the chance, would their GM get credit for an UDFA gem? TT deserved credit for signing Tramon and Ryan, just not as UDFA gems.