Packers and Mason Crosby agree to 4 year deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping for that Australian punter that played for Utah but he will probably be a relatively high draft choice as punters go.
He won the Ray Guy award.

Tom Hackett will probably be drafted in the fourth or fifth round. If Thompson decides to use such a pick on a punter he better be sure that he would be a significant upgrade over Masthay. I would be fine with a late-round pick or an undrafted free agent as well though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol so much for the expert that said the Pack would be foolish to pay more than $3m per season... Hahahahahaha

The undercurrent of most posts either still contend that or, at a minimum, look to an appropriately structured contract. Just because the Packers did it doesn't mean a lot of folks still don't consider it foolish.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lol so much for the expert that said the Pack would be foolish to pay more than $3m per season... Hahahahahaha
Do you know the difference between a prediction and an opinion? As captainWIMM wrote, just because they did it doesn't mean they didn't overpay him. If someone had written "the Packers shouldn't sign Brad Jones to an extension" three years ago, or "the Packers shouldn't draft Brian Brohm before the 2008 draft you no doubt would have posted, "so much for the expert..." Pathetic brah. :rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anybody got any details yet? I don't mind the signing bonus, it's the message they send to the team and the rest of the league, work hard and you'll be rewarded. If it then averages about what he had before with certain percentages factored in and other bonuses it could be a very nice deal for everyone.

Or they could just be handing him too much cash, we'll find out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During his career Crosby has finished in the top 10 in FG percentage only once (10th in 2011) but outside of the top 20 in six (!!!) of his nine seasons, yet TT felt it's necessary to make him the third highest paid kicker in the league.

If I remove my "Packer Backer Glasses" and look at the Crosby facts as you laid out I agree we overpaid a guy who has proven he isn't the worst but also isn't the best...definitely not one of the best 3 kickers (which he is the 3rd highest paid now) in the league.

I am not unhappy that we have Crosby back, but I do think we are overpaying.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he's been money ever since. In a kicker-hostile venue, you'd be hard pressed to find a kicker who could do better than Crosby the past 3 seasons.

13th, 23rd, and 15th in the NFL is 'money'? No, it's league average or slightly below, as I said before.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain has laid out some significant FACTS as to why we overpaid Crosby...just curious does anyone have some numbers/stats that show he is a Top 3 kicker?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know the difference between a prediction and an opinion? As captainWIMM wrote, just because they did it doesn't mean they didn't overpay him. If someone had written "the Packers shouldn't sign Brad Jones to an extension" three years ago, or "the Packers shouldn't draft Brian Brohm before the 2008 draft you no doubt would have posted, "so much for the expert..." Pathetic brah. :rolleyes:

Oh, I absolutely think they overpaid for him. For the record, I'm not sure whether I'm laughing at the supposed expert's opinion or that we overpaid. The situation just makes me laugh. Thats all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain has laid out some significant FACTS as to why we overpaid Crosby...just curious does anyone have some numbers/stats that show he is a Top 3 kicker?
Stats are stats. he doesn't suck, and he hasn't made every kick. there are significant reasons from poor special teams play in general to crosby just missing. I don't care to break down every kicker and every scenario to compare. they're kickers and Crosby generally does what this team wants him too. We "could" find someone cheaper, we could also cycle thru 2-3 kickers like other teams were scrambling to do at the beginning of the year.

If we overpaid, it wasn't like we're paying him 22 million dollars to be , he's making like a million a more and if he sticks in the 88% or higher range and is consistent with kicks, I'm ok with it. The discrepancy isn't like he's getting paid 10 and everyone else is getting paid 2. They are all in that 2-4 range, and some of those guys will be making more than they are now in 2 years time.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a side note, Crosby has been pretty good in the playoffs. Perfect on extra points, 23 out of 25 on field goals, and hasn't missed one since 2010. Anyone thinking that's not important need only consult any Minnesota Vikings fan.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats are stats. he doesn't suck, and he hasn't made every kick. there are significant reasons from poor special teams play in general to crosby just missing. I don't care to break down every kicker and every scenario to compare. they're kickers and Crosby generally does what this team wants him too. We "could" find someone cheaper, we could also cycle thru 2-3 kickers like other teams were scrambling to do at the beginning of the year.

If we overpaid, it wasn't like we're paying him 22 million dollars to be , he's making like a million a more and if he sticks in the 88% or higher range and is consistent with kicks, I'm ok with it. The discrepancy isn't like he's getting paid 10 and everyone else is getting paid 2. They are all in that 2-4 range, and some of those guys will be making more than they are now in 2 years time.

Fair enough and can agree to what you've stated. Like I said I'm not unhappy he is back.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah. He is clutch when it matters. Even last year, he kicked the game winner against the Lioons..... Oh wait

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. He is clutch when it matters. Even last year, he kicked the game winner against the Lioons..... Oh wait

I still wanna know wtf happened on that kick. Was going to be a toughie, and I could understand missing. But what was THAT?

D

Deleted member 6794

Some fans aren´t capable of including facts into forming an opinion because of them already having a predetermined one.

As a side note, Crosby has been pretty good in the playoffs. Perfect on extra points, 23 out of 25 on field goals, and hasn't missed one since 2010. Anyone thinking that's not important need only consult any Minnesota Vikings fan.

While Crosby´s FG percentage is pretty good in the playoffs only five of those succesful attempts came from more than 40 yards while eight of them were from less than 30 yards. His playoff career long is 48.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans aren´t capable of including facts into forming an opinion because of them already having a predetermined one.

While Crosby´s FG percentage is pretty good in the playoffs only five of those succesful attempts came from more than 40 yards while eight of them were from less than 30 yards. His playoff career long is 48.

I would sum it up by saying that while Crosby may not be a great kicker, he is a pretty good kicker, and not every team has one of those. If Crosby had hit the open market I don't think he would have had to wait too long before the phone started ringing. I think Ted did well to sign him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope the Packers at least bring in competition for Masthay.

After the last few years of Masthay the Packers have hopefully run out of excuses as to why he is still with them. I would be fine using a 5th round or later for his replacement. Can't imagine not seeing 2-3 punters when camp opens.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would sum it up by saying that while Crosby may not be a great kicker, he is a pretty good kicker, and not every team has one of those. If Crosby had hit the open market I don't think he would have had to wait too long before the phone started ringing. I think Ted did well to sign him.

I´m sorry but all facts indicate he´s a below average kicker now being paid like an elite one.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m sorry but all facts indicate he´s a below average kicker now being paid like an elite one.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't happen to share it. Green Bay is not the easiest place to kick in, yet last year he kicked pretty well here.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't happen to share it. Green Bay is not the easiest place to kick in, yet last year he kicked pretty well here.

Yeah, why let facts get in the way when talking about Crosby. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I honestly haven't looked at the position close enough to form a rock solid opinion of whether Crosby is now being overpaid, but depending on how the contract shakes out, its higher then I thought it would be.

What I am curious to know, I see there are 9 other UFA Kickers right now. Would any of them have come cheaper and be considered an upgrade? I guess that is something we will find out with time. TT may have been seeing no upgrades for similar numbers as they paid Crosby?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe they kept Crosby, because he is the only kicker Masthay has ever held for and they didn't want to upset Tim's routine for fear it would effect his stellar punting? :coffee:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The alternative is the unknown kicker with the potential of sending us through a season with extreme inconsistent FG kicking. We have seen it so many times. A good kicker leaves a team, then that team struggles to find a new consistent kicker for a year or two.

The last thing we need, is kicking woes.

D

Deleted member 6794

The alternative is the unknown kicker with the potential of sending us through a season with extreme inconsistent FG kicking. We have seen it so many times. A good kicker leaves a team, then that team struggles to find a new consistent kicker for a year or two.

The last thing we need, is kicking woes.

Once again, it's pretty common to be able to find a rookie kicker capable of making more than 85% of his field goals.

The last thing we needed but most likely will get is not to be able to re-sign a more important free agent next season because Thompson decided it's a good idea to use $7 million of additional cap space over the next two years to re-sign a below average kicker.

Members online

Latest posts