Pack considering contract extension for Donald Lee

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
why get rid of any of our DTs?

I agree. I Love our depth. If we can afford them, keep them.
As I said in another thread, our DL depth is one of the reasons we're so good in the 4th Q.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
That is great news and an excellent move.. now lock up Williams. :)

I'm not sure they'll lock up Williams. They should but I don't see it coming.

I'm very happy to see Donald Lee signed long term now and for a good price tag too.

My take on Williams is he is a verstile player along the front.. lock him up and wave a plugger like Cole or Pickett out for trade next offseason to shore up the running game via draft or player..

Jolly is playing at such a high level that he should unseat Pickett in a year or two.. not saying actively shop Pickett... but use it if a sensible trade comes along.

But you are correct, just doesn't seem to be of importance at this moment..

I think Pickett is playing at a Pro Bowl level this season. I wouldn't expect him to be unseated any time soon. All 3 play about the same amount of snaps. It depends on the situation.

Pickett is playing at an extremely high level.....why trade it if its working, we cant turn on our key players

Yeah I think Pickett is great and I think he's better than Williams right now. He's been very under the radar. I'd vote for him to make the Pro Bowl this year.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I would love to keep all the DT's, and I think Thompson would too. The problem is that only a couple of them can get starter's money or the team's salary structure will get thrown out of wack. And Corey Williams may be able to demand starter's money next season. I've also heard from the Green Bay Press Gazette that the coaching staff fears Williams may turn into a Cletidus Hunt type if he gets a big payday.

As for getting rid of Pickett, that just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Players like that don't come along very often. I wouldn't even consider it unless Justin Harrell was playing at a similar level by the end of this season, and that looks extremely unlikely at this point.

Williams is not a Hunt type player from what I've seen. We got him in the 6th round (I think) and he's busted his *** every offseason to make our final roster. When I see Williams play, he appears to be a high-energy guy. He is the best pass rushing DT on our roster (better than Jenkins!).

He had 7 sacks last year, and is on pace for 8 sacks this year. That's a VERY respectable number for a DT (especially with how much we rotate our guys). Our other DT's have combined for only 2 sacks between the 5 of them.

Only 5 DT's in the NFL have more sacks than Williams!

I really think Williams is an integral part of our defense and hope TT signs him early like Lee. If we let Corey play out his contract, he will most likely price himself out of GB!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I would love to keep all the DT's, and I think Thompson would too. The problem is that only a couple of them can get starter's money or the team's salary structure will get thrown out of wack. And Corey Williams may be able to demand starter's money next season. I've also heard from the Green Bay Press Gazette that the coaching staff fears Williams may turn into a Cletidus Hunt type if he gets a big payday.

As for getting rid of Pickett, that just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Players like that don't come along very often. I wouldn't even consider it unless Justin Harrell was playing at a similar level by the end of this season, and that looks extremely unlikely at this point.

Williams is not a Hunt type player from what I've seen. We got him in the 6th round (I think) and he's busted his *** every offseason to make our final roster. When I see Williams play, he appears to be a high-energy guy. He is the best pass rushing DT on our roster (better than Jenkins!).

He had 7 sacks last year, and is on pace for 8 sacks this year. That's a VERY respectable number for a DT (especially with how much we rotate our guys). Our other DT's have combined for only 2 sacks between the 5 of them.

I really think Williams is an integral part of our defense and hope TT signs him early like Lee. If we let Corey play out his contract, he will most likely price himself out of GB!!!

Yup. If I remember correctly, Kampman has 9, KGB 6.5, and Williams 4. That's 19.5 sacks from the DL alone! That's sick. I'd hate to do anything to change that output. I'd love to re-sign Williams.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kampman and KGB have 15 1/2 sacks combined, better than any other duo in the league right now..... Usmeyora and Strahan have 15

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I agree with this but unfortunately I think the Packers are going to let him go so they give Justin Harrell the chance to emerge as that guy for the Pack. It seems like the Harrell pick was selected due to Williams possibly leaving as a free agent.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id be shocked if williams was on our roster next season...... id love to have him though

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is not a Hunt type player from what I've seen. We got him in the 6th round (I think) and he's busted his *** every offseason to make our final roster. When I see Williams play, he appears to be a high-energy guy.

I don't see him becoming a Hunt-type player either, but Pete Dougherty of the Press Gazette (or maybe it's Rob Demovsky) has mentioned several times that management fears this could happen if he gets a big contract. They know the guy a lot better than we do, so maybe there's something to it. I would love to see him back next year, but if he can get starter's money to go elsewhere, there's no reason for him to stay in Green Bay.

Pickett is making big money. Harrell is making big money for a young guy. And Jolly is starting most games and playing well, so he may be up for a big raise soon. As much as we like all these guys, there's only so much money the team can invest in the DT position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
That is great news and an excellent move.. now lock up Williams. :)

I'm not sure they'll lock up Williams. They should but I don't see it coming.

I'm very happy to see Donald Lee signed long term now and for a good price tag too.

My take on Williams is he is a verstile player along the front.. lock him up and wave a plugger like Cole or Pickett out for trade next offseason to shore up the running game via draft or player..

Jolly is playing at such a high level that he should unseat Pickett in a year or two.. not saying actively shop Pickett... but use it if a sensible trade comes along.

But you are correct, just doesn't seem to be of importance at this moment..

I think Pickett is playing at a Pro Bowl level this season. I wouldn't expect him to be unseated any time soon. All 3 play about the same amount of snaps. It depends on the situation.

Pickett is playing at an extremely high level.....why trade it if its working, we cant turn on our key players

Yeah I think Pickett is great and I think he's better than Williams right now. He's been very under the radar. I'd vote for him to make the Pro Bowl this year.

Thought this was a donald lee thread?