Overtime Rule change for playoffs

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much, but for now I think it is a win just to have them change it for playoff games. Eventually, if that is seen to be a more favorable way to do it, regular season games will follow that format. Unless of course next year, if in the final game of the season, a team loses the OT coin toss and loses the game on an opening drive TD. In losing that game, said team misses out on the playoffs. Then that might press them into changing it faster.

I will be curious to see if a team that wins the OT coin toss defers in the playoffs, if the winds/weather are really bad. I might defer if I had a good defense and the other team hasn't been playing that well on offense. Stop them, go down and try to kick a FG with the high winds at your back. Even if you can't stop them, at least you get the wind to try and tie it up.
Interesting. The old way, a team would never defer. Not sure I get why they don't apply it in the regular season as well. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and one reason is the example you use.

Last edited:

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the defense is that good, deferring gains an advantage. IF the offense is that much better, deferring is a waste of time. A team with a great running game can take all the time off the clock leaving less for the opponents to handle. But a great quarterback and receiving corps can fix that in less than a minute. So it will normally work out in the long run. Great thread yall. Have a good one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts