Overtime Rule change for playoffs

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Murphy showed up at the OT meeting after being removed from the competition committee, it was similar to celebrity Jeopardy...Burt Reynolds? What are YOU doing here?
Murphy - thats not my name..

Maybe we should decide OT like propour football...penalty kicks..lol

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Murphy showed up at the OT meeting after being removed from the competition committee, it was similar to celebrity Jeopardy...Burt Reynolds? What are YOU doing here?
Murphy - thats not my name..

Maybe we should decide OT like propour football...penalty kicks..lol
Penalty kicks! Of course, the answer was always right there! Just make it a "Kick 'Till You Miss" rule - start at the 25 yard line and move out 5 yards if each team makes their kick. Eventually one team makes it and one misses. Game over! Something like that, needs a little work.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
headline should read, NFL caves to whiners once again who can't handle that stuff is never fair. 3 ways to win a game, offense, defense or special teams. Play the hand your dealt, and go win.
Yeah I'm not in favor of regulating the game to death. But it does seem fair that each team gets a possession in OT. Sometimes these rules are ridiculous, like the review of PI a few years ago. This one isn't based at all on referee calls or challenges. I know everything in life isn't fair, but this change seems warranted.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Penalty kicks! Of course, the answer was always right there! Just make it a "Kick 'Till You Miss" rule - start at the 25 yard line and move out 5 yards if each team makes their kick. Eventually one team makes it and one misses. Game over! Something like that, needs a little work.
Just so you don't work too ******* revising this, I doubt the NFL will want to penalize a team for having a bad or injured FG kicker, by putting the outcome of a game solely on the foot of 1 out of 53 players. Might as well put a trash can in the endzone and let the QB's decide the game in the same way. First QB to miss the can loses. At least when a team wins with a FG in OT now, it was because the team got them into position to do so and the other 1o guys on the FG unit did their job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I kind of have mixed feelings. Playoff OT is not particularly common and I kinda feel like the sample size we have to work with is perhaps too small to glean much meaningful information from. On the other hand in OT on the whole it's basically 50-50, with the winner of the coin toss not really having any significant advantage...
The thing is, I don't think the rule change detracts from the game, unlike the PI review challenge from a few years back. To me, this makes sense. I agree the outcome of the coin flip isn't strongly correlated with who wins, but whoever wins gets an advantage, however small. It's an easy fix to me. I'd be interested to see what the players think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you don't work too ******* revising this, I doubt the NFL will want to penalize a team for having a bad or injured FG kicker, by putting the outcome of a game solely on the foot of 1 out of 53 players. Might as well put a trash can in the endzone and let the QB's decide the game in the same way. First QB to miss the can loses. At least when a team wins with a FG in OT now, it was because the team got them into position to do so and the other 1o guys on the FG unit did their job.
I was kidding Poker. I'm pretty sure lambeau was too. I thought penalty kicks was a hilarious idea. But having the QBs throw into a garbage can in the end zone from the 50 YL? Hmmm, that might work! (Yes, I'm kidding about that too.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was kidding Poker. I'm pretty sure lambeau was too. I thought penalty kicks was a hilarious idea. But having the QBs throw into a garbage can in the end zone from the 50 YL? Hmmm, that might work! (Yes, I'm kidding about that too.)
Never know sometimes on sarcasm. I use this emoji to indicate I am being sarcastic. :coffee:

I have read a lot of alternative ways to resolve a tied game and a FG shoot off has been one of them. I think the best one that I have read was, the heaviest guy from each team, have a 100 yard sprint off. I think if they were blindfolded, it would make it much more fun to watch. :coffee:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sometimes change is good and necessary. The game and the players have evolved, and probably most importantly, so has technology. Anytime the NFL can make improvements in the game, I say it is a win. The NFL is no longer a league that is only talked about at the water cooler on Monday mornings and only read about in Newspapers. Every fan has access to more information than probably the teams themselves had 40 years ago. If the NFL wants to keep their fan base, they will have to evolve with what technology allows those fans to see, do and talk about when it comes to football. In doing so, they will need to figure out a way to embrace making the majority of those fans happy with their product and yes, that means make changes when it appears that is what their buyers are clamoring for.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never know sometimes on sarcasm. I use this emoji to indicate I am being sarcastic. :coffee:

I have read a lot of alternative ways to resolve a tied game and a FG shoot off has been one of them. I think the best one that I have read was, the heaviest guy from each team, have a 100 yard sprint off. I think if they were blindfolded, it would make it much more fun to watch. :coffee:
Thanks Poker. I've fallen for jokes too. I should use that emoji.

At least we're having fun with this and the ideas keep getting better, like the big man 100 yard blindfold dash. Very good! :confused:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes change is good and necessary. The game and the players have evolved, and probably most importantly, so has technology. Anytime the NFL can make improvements in the game, I say it is a win. The NFL is no longer a league that is only talked about at the water cooler on Monday mornings and only read about in Newspapers. Every fan has access to more information than probably the teams themselves had 40 years ago. If the NFL wants to keep their fan base, they will have to evolve with what technology allows those fans to see, do and talk about when it comes to football. In doing so, they will need to figure out a way to embrace making the majority of those fans happy with their product and yes, that means make changes when it appears that is what their buyers are clamoring for.
Now this is very well stated. I think a lot of fans have been unhappy with OT rules for years, especially "sudden death". And you're right about technology. And like all technology, it works well when it addresses a need. The review of pass interference is a good example. It may have addressed a need for fans (although probably not in the end), but the referees certainly didn't want it. And when you're asking the person who made the call to review it, along with 50 others, it's painful and slows down the game and doesn't add much. The refs get the majority of their calls right, a minor miracle.

But yeah fans are gonna expect the game to keep up. It's come a long way from watching Bart Starr sneak in a TD in living, grainy black and white many years ago. No challenge flags back then and who would have used it. Players and coaches and refs wanted to save as many limbs as they could at that point. And it WAS a TD thanks to Jerry Kramer and Bart.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks Poker. I've fallen for jokes too. I should use that emoji.

At least we're having fun with this and the ideas keep getting better, like the big man 100 yard blindfold dash. Very good! :confused:
Or to even things out, have 5 races. heaviest, lightest, Head coaches, GM's and the ultimate tie breaker...mascots run off. I like the 5th one, since it would require ALL teams to have an official mascot and this is really what has been lacking in the NFL. Even Delta State in Grand Prairie, Texas has a mascot, The Fighting Ocra! :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not in favor of regulating the game to death. But it does seem fair that each team gets a possession in OT. Sometimes these rules are ridiculous, like the review of PI a few years ago. This one isn't based at all on referee calls or challenges. I know everything in life isn't fair, but this change seems warranted.

This rule now to me is nothing more than pacifying everyone all distraught about a team that couldn't stop a team from scoring for THIRTEEN seconds and then couldn't stop them again in OT for even a single play. Not ONCE did the Bills do anything to help their cause, but we must reward them in the effort of fairness. Why not just let them all line up from the 50 for 10 offensive series and see what happens, then we can take special teams out of it. That would have helped our cause.

so they give the ball back to the BIlls for a shot. and they score too, see, it's fair. Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different?

after each team has had their "fair" and received opening kickoffs, had the wind, against the wind. Chose a goal to defend, sun in their eyes, or not etc it's time to find a winner. They all had 10 or so possessions. So give them one more each, so it's fair. Then revert to a rule nobody liked 2 rule changes ago. Progress? I think football is losing what makes it special little by little.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or to even things out, have 5 races. heaviest, lightest, Head coaches, GM's and the ultimate tie breaker...mascots run off. I like the 5th one, since it would require ALL teams to have an official mascot and this is really what has been lacking in the NFL. Even Delta State in Grand Prairie, Texas has a mascot, The Fighting Ocra! :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I mean if the Brewers can have sausage races, which are hugely popular with the fans, why not the NFL! ;)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tug of war involving the whole team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This rule now to me is nothing more than pacifying everyone all distraught about a team that couldn't stop a team from scoring for THIRTEEN seconds and then couldn't stop them again in OT for even a single play. Not ONCE did the Bills do anything to help their cause, but we must reward them in the effort of fairness. Why not just let them all line up from the 50 for 10 offensive series and see what happens, then we can take special teams out of it. That would have helped our cause.

so they give the ball so they give the ball back to the BIlls for a shot. and they score too, see, it's fair. Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different? to the BIlls for a shot. and they score too, see, it's fair. Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different?

after each team has had their "fair" and received opening kickoffs, had the wind, against the wind. Chose a goal to defend, sun in their eyes, or not etc it's time to find a winner. They all had 10 or so possessions. So give them one more each, so it's fair. Then revert to a rule nobody liked 2 rule changes ago. Progress? I think football is losing what makes it special little by little.
You raise an excellent point:

"Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different?"

It's not different, and all it does is extend the game. I see your point. These rule changes beget other rule changes and who knows where it ends.

The alternative is to play an extra 10 minutes, or 15 mounts, and whoever is ahead at the end wins. Even that has flaws. What if the team winning the toss burns 8 minutes off the clock and scores? Do we give the other team 8 minutes? Of course not.

Anyway, you made your point. This rule change doesn't change much in the end.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

so they give the ball back to the BIlls for a shot. and they score too, see, it's fair. Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different?

People have been complaining about the OT rules since they were implemented. Its hardly a Bills vs KC thing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Then KC throws 2 passes kicks a FG and the game is over. Is it really so much different?"

It's not different, and all it does is extend the game. I see your point. These rule changes beget other rule changes and who knows where it ends.
From what I have read, the reason that the NFL changed the rules on a first series FG winning an OT game is that kickers had progressed, as well as indoor stadiums and artificial turf, etc. Back in the day, kickers were not nearly as accurate as they would eventually become.

Again, rules evolve with the game. Offenses are more prolific now, then they were 40 years ago. Rule changes have helped, as have the skill levels. The owners and the league, felt that in OT, especially in playoff games, it was too common for really good QB's to drive a team down and score a TD.

Some day they will put a GPS tracker in the footballs. Spotting of the forward progress will be very simple and very accurate. A rule change that some will embrace and some people will say "it is stupid, let the human eye mark the ball, we don't need change just to have change."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People have been complaining about the OT rules since they were implemented. Its hardly a Bills vs KC thing.
and they'll complain about this one too the first time the game is tied after 2 possessions and because of some fluke play the other team just kicks a FG to win having done nothing to earn and the 2nd team doesn't get a 2nd possession to make it "fair"

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and they'll complain about this one too the first time the game is tied after 2 possessions and because of some fluke play the other team just kicks a FG to win having done nothing to earn and the 2nd team doesn't get a 2nd possession to make it "fair"
LOL...so your fear of that happening, is what motivates your stance on don't change a thing? You don't trust the process or believe the owners will do the right thing?

How do you feel about the 4th Q. when one team has the ball more than the other team? I have never heard a complaint about that. Nor do I expect a rationale football fan to complain when a team scores on the 3rd possession of OT. In that situation, the team that lost the flip but scored a TD on the second possession, could have gone for 2 and if they make it, they win and there is not 3rd possession. Just like in Baseball, the home team doesn't lose when the visiting team scores a run in the 10th inning, they have a chance to tie it up or win. Hockey...they play sudden death and during that time, everyone has a fair shot at getting the puck and to try and score. If there is a shootout. It isn't first team to score, its the team that scores the most out of 5 shots. NBA....play 5 minutes and see who scores the most, after many opportunities.

I would say baseball is about as close as you can get to simulate how scoring takes place and how frequent, when comparing the fairness of OT. If the home team has great pitching and good defense, they should be able to stop the visiting team from scoring in the 10th. However, if they only have a great offense, and they give up a run, is it fair to say "sorry, should have stopped them with your pitching and defense, you lose."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, it's my fear of that happening LOL

Don't compare baseball and football, they're nothing alike. Neither is the NBA, completely different games.

I don't care about who gets the ball more, or runs more plays, or who has the wind or who doesn't. There's a game where I feel it's "evened" up as much as they can make it and still have it be football. OT, find me a winner and be done with it. Or, give them all just 1 more possession and then make it sudden death and call it progress.

It's slightly more likely that who gets the ball first wins. It's more likely they score points on the 3rd possession than the team with the 4th and so on. Still whoever gets the ball first is still statistically more likely to win. I don't think it really changes much actually. but people call it progress.

I don't care if the teams owners agree with me or someone else. I think they're just passing out pacifiers at this point. anything that gets more game time for them is a win.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't care if the teams owners agree with me or someone else. I think they're just passing out pacifiers at this point. anything that gets more game time for them is a win.
I would guess that the #1 goal of owners is money. How do you maximize that? You pacify your buyers of course. I don's see them sitting around saying "lets make this a more fair game, despite doing so will lose us more fans, than if we left it alone." The NFL is very much a reactionary business and in many cases, very slow to react. However, since they are a monopoly, they have a lot of leeway of making a ton of mistakes and still profit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess that the #1 goal of owners is money. How do you maximize that? You pacify your buyers of course. I don's see them sitting around saying "lets make this a more fair game, despite doing so will lose us more fans, than if we left it alone." The NFL is very much a reactionary business and in many cases, very slow to react. However, since they are a monopoly, they have a lot of leeway of making a ton of mistakes and still profit.
There's just no easy answer here. Here's an extreme example, but it could happen. Team A wins the toss, takes the ball and scores a TD and makes either a one pt or 2 pt conversion. Team B gets the ball and does exactly what Team A just did. Score tied. Team A gets the ball back, moves into FG territory, kicks a FG and wins the game. NOT FAIR! Team A had the ball twice to once for Team A.

Where does it end? The rule change then is no better than what we have now. The winning team gets an extra possession.

I've changed my mind on this. Either live with the current rule, or go to extra periods of 15 minutes - just keep adding "quarters" until someone finishes the quarter ahead. And even that's not fair, cause the first team to get the ball in OT will have won a coin flip. There wouldn't be two halves in OT where each team gets the ball.

Leave the rule as it is.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Team A gets the ball back, moves into FG territory, kicks a FG and wins the game. NOT FAIR! Team A had the ball twice to once for Team A.
See, I would disagree. Since both teams had at least 1 shot with the ball. Doesn't matter that they did identical things with each teams possession. Number of possessions rarely work out to even in a game, so no need to make sure that happens in OT. Now when one team has the ball once and the other team zero times, that would be considered an unfair advantage.

Let's say team B ties it with a TD and XP, kicks off and Team A fumbles the kickoff at the 10. If Team B recovers it, I don't think it is unfair that team B sends in the FG unit and wins the game. Basically, if both teams get a possession, you are now in sudden death.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, I would disagree. Since both teams had at least 1 shot with the ball. Doesn't matter that they did identical things with each teams possession. Number of possessions rarely work out to even in a game, so no need to make sure that happens in OT. Now when one team has the ball once and the other team zero times, that would be considered an unfair advantage.

Let's say team B ties it with a TD and XP, kicks off and Team A fumbles the kickoff at the 10. If Team B recovers it, I don't think it is unfair that team B sends in the FG unit and wins the game. Basically, if both teams get a possession, you are now in sudden death.
Good point Poker, I hadn't looked at it that way. The important point is that each team gets the ball in OT at least once. As your example illustrates, beyond that how many times a team gets the ball doesn't matter - it's what each team does when they have the ball that matters.

Even the coin flip to decide who gets the ball, or defers, first is subject to luck. But ya gotta start somewhere.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good point Poker, I hadn't looked at it that way. The important point is that each team gets the ball in OT at least once.
Pretty much, but for now I think it is a win just to have them change it for playoff games. Eventually, if that is seen to be a more favorable way to do it, regular season games will follow that format. Unless of course next year, if in the final game of the season, a team loses the OT coin toss and loses the game on an opening drive TD. In losing that game, said team misses out on the playoffs. Then that might press them into changing it faster.

I will be curious to see if a team that wins the OT coin toss defers in the playoffs, if the winds/weather are really bad. I might defer if I had a good defense and the other team hasn't been playing that well on offense. Stop them, go down and try to kick a FG with the high winds at your back. Even if you can't stop them, at least you get the wind to try and tie it up.

Members online

Latest posts