Overall thoughts on the game

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly dont think I can pick out anything on the definsive side of the ball that the Packers did wrong. I dont know where to start on the other side. Our offense sucks. Bubba sucks, our recievers drop balls, no one can get open unless your name is Driver and we cant to go him every time. Our O-line sucks. wow. But ill take a win any way we can get it.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed, i heard drivers name all game, we need alot of help on o.

the biggest problem is redzone offence.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings coaches are fools for not rolling out more. Also fools fo not having Jackson scramble more. He looked fairly quick out there. I am not sure if GB should be praised for their offense in the first half for running up and down the field OR bad mouthed for not getting into the end zone. Why teams don't double team Driver is totally beyond me.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed, i heard drivers name all game, we need alot of help on o.

the biggest problem is redzone offence.

the problem with the red zone offense is the TEs. Remember back in the days when Favre used to throw TDs? We had good output from our TEs. Now, every time a Packer TE gets close to the end zone, he drops the ball.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a win is a win, and if all hell breaks loose in the next two weeks, we're in the playoffs, its not bad to be alive for another week

general thoughts
-the offensive line is GENERALLY showing signs of improvement, playing against the best DT tandem isn't the best thing for this young group, its week by week, hopefully next year they can open more holes
-that said, our offensive line is not good for favre's little gimmick plays, you know what im talking about, the pump fake-handoffs...we dont have that kind of time, especially against minnesota's d-line, so just run the damn ball and hope for the best

-this recieving core is as rag-tag as any i've ever seen, jennings went from 'promising' to having his head up his ***, regardless of the two INT's which may or may not have ben his fault, he's the #2 target and needs to get open more--on that note, I think Carlyle Holiday and Ruvell Martin are worth keeping, just NOT as anything higher than#3 on the charts...

-I'm very excited about our defense, our rush defense was at times pathetic this season, but two weeks in a row they've shown up. Kampman is great, I like Cullen Jenkins playing the strong DE position--I hope we can cut KGB to pay for Jenkins this offseason. Corey Williams got penetration for once, and Pickett took on two guys which was huge to this defense's success all around...last week it was detroit, but this week it was a very solid Minnesota o-line that we got to the QB on...

-All of our linebackers stood out, Barnett made plays, Hawk made plays, Poppinga made plays, and what awareness, for example Poppinga dragging Jackson down by his shirt right at the line, incredible play all around

-Our secondary, I cant look too far into it, given MN's rookie QB, Woodson had one hell of a play to pick that pass off, Harris was thrown at very rarely. Nick Collins had some great tackles and pass plays as his roller coaster season continued...I heard Marquand Manuel's name ZERO times, which could be attributed to the fact that he plain sucks, or the fact that Bryant Gumbel is a ******* and cant follow the action...either way this defense could be even more effective with a solid safety next to #36

-Our special teams didnt impress. The kickoff coverage was average at best. I said to myself before the last drive "if MN doesnt take this kickoff back far, we win"...well the vikes took it to the 30 and made me hold my breath for a bit longer. Jon Ryan had some good punts. Jon Ryan should be tried at wide reciever, because every snap, punt or kick, was over his head. Jarrett Bush made several ******* plays.

that said, 9-7, its a win, and if a few more things go our way...playoffs?!?!??!

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think that one of the best plays of the game was by the fans sitting in the endzone who showed the best goaline D I've seen in a long time, when they threw Smoot back out out after trying to jump into the stands after he returned favre's pick for a TD. The only player that they might have thrown out of the stands quicker was Bubba Franks...I mean my Lord is he horrible.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis, HatesTheEagles. I was especially pleased to see Nick Collins make at least three VERY nice plays. He needs some positive momentum going into the offseason. Manuel did make a couple of decent plays, by the way, not that I want him back next year or anything.

At the end, I was thinking the same thing you were: That if the kickoff was not run back too far, the Packers would win. I thought the chances of that happening were about 50-50. I felt much better when the Vikings only returned it to the 30.

Also, just before Bubba's goal line fumble, I was thinking that the Packers had about a 50-50 chance of turning it over in the red zone and coming away with no points. That's just the kind of year it's been for this offense.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Good analysis, HatesTheEagles. I was especially pleased to see Nick Collins make at least three VERY nice plays. He needs some positive momentum going into the offseason. Manuel did make a couple of decent plays, by the way, not that I want him back next year or anything.

Also, just before Bubba's goal line fumble, I was thinking that the Packers had about a 50-50 chance of turning it over in the red zone and coming away with no points. That's just the kind of year it's been for this offense.

Gumbel was ******** up names/numbers all night so Manuel probably did do something that I just didnt notice...Nick Collins played great, he can play either safety position, just get someone on the other side of him

And its a shame that there's no Vernon Davis/Kellen Winslow top-flight TE prospect this april, because teams can key on Driver and we're gonna kick a lot of field goals, fortunately Dave Rayner is kicking real well

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Gumbel was ******** up names/numbers all night so Manuel probably did do something that I just didnt notice...Nick Collins played great, he can play either safety position, just get someone on the other side of him

And its a shame that there's no Vernon Davis/Kellen Winslow top-flight TE prospect this april, because teams can key on Driver and we're gonna kick a lot of field goals, fortunately Dave Rayner is kicking real well

Yeah, Gumbel was horrible. Even at the end of the game, he was calling Rayner "Raymer." He always used to be such a smooth-talking broadcaster. I don't know what's happened to him.

I don't know what's happened to Bubba Franks, either. He was never a spectacular player, but he was always very reliable and sure-handed. Tonight he just seemed to crumble before our eyes. I would've felt sorry for him if I wasn't so mad at him.

Reaction score
Hates, you were spot on in giving Ryan credit. He made some HUGE plays, specifically in terms of getting the snaps for Rayner down in time. That last snap was bad and shaping away but somehow Ryan manage to get it down.

Collins, I just think this man is being asked to think too much. Let him trust his instincts and see what he does. Last play of the game, he broke on the ball even before TJ had stepped up to throw it, this man has the ability to play but you gotta ask him to do stuff that is within his abilities. Trying to play a chess game by responding to shifts/motions by readjusting the coverage schemes is going to get Collins into trouble.

Manuel sucks. I no believe it is plausible that he is deaf and that is why he sucks so much. He picked up the ball and ran towards our endzone, all AFTER the whistle had blown the play dead.

Once again Hates, you took the words right out of my mouth about the receiving.... Second year in a row that position has had subpar talent, and you have to at some point look at TT for not stepping up to provide Brett with the right talents. Still BRett has game and with the right players he can be deadly.

Franks...... I wanted to choke him. But I could understand his reaction after the kick was made. Heck I wouldn't have blamed him if he broke out crying in happiness and tried to kiss Rayner.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st thought is that the better team clearly won. Though the Packers do not look like a playoff team at all.

2nd though is Green Bay's Defense has stepped it up where as the offense has fallen apart. It's like a complete 180 from the beginning of the year. The inconsistency on this team is ridiculous

3rd 7-8!!! I don't care what anyone says about how this team has been coached or ran. They are exceeding most expectations this year. Win or lose next week, I think this is something very nice to build off of.

Finally it was kind of nice to watch an old school NFC Central game. It wasn’t the shootout of NFC North rivals. It was in the trenches of two teams that came from the original Central and that’s why this is the black and blue division. Good to watch!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
3rd 7-8!!! I don't care what anyone says about how this team has been coached or ran. They are exceeding most expectations this year. Win or lose next week, I think this is something very nice to build off of.

That's what I'm saying man. I think this win solidifies the statement we're moving in the right direction.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won so I'll take that.

We shhoyuld have had the game wrapped up by half time but when you have only one W/R who is any kind of a threaght you become one dimensional. To be honest the Vikes D is one of the best I have seen against the run.

The D was awesome but we have to put that into perspective as well. We were playing against a rookie QB who has a strong arm and we nearly paid on one play.

We are lucky we were not playing a better offensive team or we would have been looking at week 17's games and not caring what happened.

We are still in the hunt for a playoff off spot and too be brutally honest after getting destroyed at home 3 times this season ........Do we really deserve it?????

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-I'm very excited about our defense, our rush defense was at times pathetic this season, but two weeks in a row they've shown up. Kampman is great, I like Cullen Jenkins playing the strong DE position--I hope we can cut KGB to pay for Jenkins this offseason. Corey Williams got penetration for once, and Pickett took on two guys which was huge to this defense's success all around...last week it was detroit, but this week it was a very solid Minnesota o-line that we got to the QB on...

Actually Williams has been doing a great job of getting pentration this season. He's got 6 sacks on the season, which is rather good considering the number of plays he gets each game. Both him, Pickett and Jenkins have had a great year. Jenkins, who's also done very well, has 6.5 sacks on the year.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my eyes Favre only had one pick, Jennings blew the route on the other one and didnt turn back to get the ball, Franks just couldnt catch a ball to save his life and then when he fumbled it on the goal line WOW...we need help in the safety area for sure and also another reciever who can catch the ball..our defense was AWESOME!!! We need help on Offense thats for sure..all in all we won so I was happy with that....

I also thought it was nice of Sharper to come up and congradulate Favre on the win...then to see Favre give a hug to Mooch was great to...hope this isnt the last time we see Favre as QB in Green Bay...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interior of our DL is set for years to come, provided we re-sigh Jenkins and Williams. Two young players who have improved dramatically each and every year, and who are just entering their prime. We get a stud pass-rushing DE, and this line could be a monster.

Collins showed his old self....god to see.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Yared-Yam....we won. Let's have a beer and a brat. A "W" is a "W" no matter how ugly it was.
Sounds like some of you would find room to criticize even if we went 16-0.
Don't we have 3 more "W's" than last year?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The record speaks to McCarthy's ability to get the most out of what he has got. By most accounts, this team was not supposed to win 4 games this year, and he has a chance to double that against a suddenly mortal looking Chicago D. Granted, we will have to play our best, mistake-free football to have a chance....but the chance is there.

Good job, MM!!

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings coaches are fools for not rolling out more.

I thought the same thing. Roll the kid out, and let him tuck and run if the pass isn't there. As often as we shot ourselves in the foot, they could've/should've killed us last night.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Actually Williams has been doing a great job of getting pentration this season. He's got 6 sacks on the season, which is rather good considering the number of plays he gets each game. Both him, Pickett and Jenkins have had a great year. Jenkins, who's also done very well, has 6.5 sacks on the year.

i've only seen a certain number of games this season, I think the solution is move Cullen Jenkins to the end, he's played much better since getting an opportunity to play out there

Members online

Latest posts