Overall Impression of TT"s draft

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For right now, I'm pretty happy with the guys they were able to get, especially in the later rounds. There were a few picks I didn't like, but you'll get that every year. The thing I like the most is it seems like they made tackling a priority on defense. The guys they got are all physical with good tackling ability, something that our defense has been lacking the last few seasons.

Training camp should be interesting. I was glad to hear what Jim Bates said about the talent on defense.

What does everyone else think?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly a surprising draft. Not a great draft but a good solid draft. I think once we see these guys on the field everyone is going to feel alot better.
Interesting seeing the offensive lineman from Michigan Tech getting drafted by the Panthers.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just perplexing. Aaron Rodgers falling to us was a gift. We needed a defensive end; Cody or Tuck, I watched Bates' press conference, I know he loves our D-line depth, I don't see it, I don't see us going anywhere with Kampman as our every down end, but we'll see.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dale Hofmann said it best in an article today when he said Ted Thompson makes the Green Bay Packers a better franchise but not a better team.

I think TT is trying to balance winning now with an eye on the future too.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:

My first thought on this is I have no prob with that at all.

my hope was that he would try to build the defense, who will need to win a few games for us after favre retires...some things were confusing...if Nick Collins is as good as Jim Bates thinks, fine, we have a heck of a player, but I'll wait until then...if Terrence Murphy was worth a 2nd round pick (over good defensive talent and we got the same type reciever in the 6th round), there's a reason why we took him, but I'll wait.

I like the re-stocking of reciever depth, because Chatman does nothing for me...Murphy/Bragg, one of them will carry the load returning for us...and I think if one of them catches on, it's the end for Robert Ferguson, I know i'm not too fond of him.

I also like the depth of picks this draft had...a lot of talent available late, we didnt necessarily get it, but we gained a lot of depth.

We took a lot of defensive backs, Nick Collins--we'll see, Bates was ultra high on him, I dont think he was worth the pick, but maybe we know something everyone else doesnt...Marviel Underwood is a stud like the selection, Bates seemed really really really high on Hawkins...Campbell was listed a DB, but will probably move to linebacker, seems like a good special teamer--something we need. I think our special teams depth also benefits from the draft

I also heard we might be planning on moving Joey Thomas to free safety, anyone else hear? Maybe it's good we have this depth of cornerbacks, so we don't get stuck with guys like Jason Horton holding down important spots in tight situations (remember when Reggie Wayne blew him away by about four steps in the indy game this year?)

The drafting of o-linemen confuses me...we have five starters...followed by Ruegamer, Kevin Barry, Brennan Curtin...Whittiker can be a steamroller guard, he was at Michigan State, Coston has experience, 3 year starter, on a smaller level, but still--with most linemen, all it takes is coaching...Tauscher, Wahle, Flanagan, they were all late round picks

I'm not exactly satisfied, I would've been more satisfied if we had gotten Tuck or Cody in the 2nd round to hold down DE for the next few seasons, but we'll see if the reasoning for the picks pan out...

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yoopperfan, it is too early to tell, but what might make it a great draft will not be known until we find out if Aaron Rodgers will be able to take over for #4, if Aaron does that very well, it will be the best draft choice the packers have made since'58 and rate as successful draft, A Great Q.B. pick up in a draft & it will be rated very successful. Kampman will improve more and will do a better job this year and so will the whole defense or Bates will send the slackers packing. He will not "put up " with Hunt. He will get one chance this year or he will be gone. Hunt is in the "doghouse", he did not attend classes (not manditory) held during the off season by Jim Bates, even Kampman was there and he had a offer sheet from Vikings. Bates will motivate this defense of the Packers or slackers will be traded or cut. He is a no nonsense defensive coach!! Bates has already evaluated everybody on defense and formed his opinion. Some as you might recalled, have already been traded or cut. Arizona Packer fan, Dale Hoffman is right on better franchise in the future , you are right with our comment of T.T trying ot balance winning now with an eye on the future to. Excellent observation by good Packer
Fan in Arizona. . Monkeyracer43,I can't say any of the Packer picks are bad, from what I heard out of the interviews with Packer coaches, they did a excellent job scouting & interviewing all Packer draftees. They sounded like they did their home work. The results will come in the next 4 months to 2-3 years. When we see how it all shakes out.

SteelmanC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts:

I'm fine with the drafting of Aaron Rodgers (QB), in fact I'm better than fine. I think that it was the best pick that they could have made with the given talent remaining on the board at that time for the long-term benefit of the Packers. I want to see the Packers go to and win the Superbowl next year as much as anyone but I don't want what we've seen with other teams going in one year and not able to make the playoffs for the next two or three years.

I like that Ted went out on a limb and took a chance on Nick Collins (S) for two reasons. It was a pick that we got from New Orleans and one that we wouldn't have had otherwise and I think that those types of things give you more room to take a chance. It was also very Ron Wolf-ish, which I think is admirable. I don't like it because unlike Ron Wolf he took this gamble in the second round whereas Wolf typically waited until the later rounds to get guys like this.

I don't like the Terrence Murphy (WR) pick and at the same time I do. I think that he would have been around longer if he was a desired player and the Packers could have picked a guy for the D-line at that spot who could have had an immediate impact in special situations and added much needed depth. I do like him because he added depth to the WR corps.

I like Marviel Underwood (S) for two reasons... I think he sounds good from his stats and impact on the games he played at San Diego State. He also adds another competitor to the Safety ranks and given the proper coaching looks to already be better than Sharper was last year.

I really like Brady Poppinga (DE/LB). The guy is fast and has great mobility. He no slacker and not an idiot. That being said... Round 4 was probably the right place for him to go and will likely pay very good dividends, and would have if it had been any other team that drafted him.

I don't know a darn thing about Junius Coston's (C) career. I do know that I was pretty PO'd when I saw that the Packers drafted a center. Since then I learned that they intend on using him at guard, which I have much less trouble with. Still... I thought that it should have been a CB pick at that time.

I don't like the Michael Hawkins (CB) pick. The guy got the boot from OK because he couldn't take tough coaching. He says that he left because he didn't want to be in an abusive situation. Welcome to the not-so-big leagues, Michael. You think that was tough? Try the expectations you'll have "if" you actually get paid to play the game. Talent out of high school or not... they should have passed on this guy. Calling him a reach is giving him more credit than I think he is due. However, I hope I'm wrong and he proves me a fool in my analysis of him. Maybe he's gotten the mental toughness with some maturity over the past couple of years.

Then we go back to my liking a pick in Mike Montgomery (DE). Bates has some really good things to say about him. Work ethic, long arms. His speed scores aren't great for the position, but they aren't bad either.

I have a thought that the Craig Bragg (WR) pick is one of those guys that dropped because of an injury and fell off the radar because scouts went with the "what have you done for me lately" analysis. This guy was the UCLA team MVP in 2003. His average YPC are very good. Could be very good at adding depth to the WR's and who knows if they'll try to use him on special teams. That being said... weren't there any decent DT guys around at this time?

Kurt Campbell (S)? I don't know a darn thing about him except that I have doubts that he was on anyone's radar. Why use the pick when they probably could have gotten him as an UDFA? And why another safety? Again... why not a DT? Are there going to be some free agents come June 1 at DE and/or DT that we don't yet know or speculate about? Still... this was a 7th round pick and if you're going to reach then why not go ahead and do so, but don't reach for the sake of reaching.

Lastly: Will Whitticker (G) is a very good pick, especially in the 7th round. He could have probably been a decent 6th round pick. He comes from a very solid system at Michigan State and is a solid player.

If I was grading and had to average things out... I'd give the draft a C+/B-. That is only from my perspective in that I think they did better than many other teams but still some of the early reaching hurts and the positions they could have drafted for that would have had some immediate impact hurts the grade. This was far better than anything we've seen previously from Sherman, although I'm wondering if the Nick Collins pick doesn't have Mike Sherman written all over it. We shall see and early grading means nothing when most of these guys will need a year or two of seasoning (ala Javon Walker). I am hoping for the best and trusting that guys who do this 24/7/365 know better than we and other fans/pundits do.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Then we go back to my liking a pick in Mike Montgomery (DE). Bates has some really good things to say about him. Work ethic, long arms. His speed scores aren't great for the position, but they aren't bad either."
I like this pick, as well - but the read on him speaks of some necessary learning to drop his hips for positioning. But, the "long arms"..... that remind anyone here of a certain Player? Mark his height, too - that give you a better clue?

The only thing (for me) was that they went after too many Offensive Players, when grabbing Shawn Cody would have been the real deal, or Lorenzo or that other guy, Hawthorne.... We truly need to cover the backside of one Grady Jackson. Currently, we have no one available to step in and take his place outright.... Rossley gettin' his way over Jim Bates on this issue (Center, anyone?) was just plain wrong..... Besides, if Sherman is to get his Contract extended, then Rossley should walk and that be made part of the deal - before the offer is written up. Or they both walk!

OP
OP
M

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a good idea to add depth at the offensive line. I good team can have a bad season if injuries plague the offensive line. Initially, I was really dissapointed with Terrance Murphy, but we don't really have a decent reciever outside of Driver and Walker. Still a little mad they passed on guys like Cody, Crowder, and Morrison, but it wasn't a terrible pick.

Steelman - I wasn't thrilled with Nick Collins either, but if Bates thinks he's good I'll take his word for it. Hawkins can be a really good corner if Bates can get him to play, the ability is there.

ArizonaPackerFan said:

I agree. Many of these guys won't make an immediate impact, but the future of the team is a little more secure.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Michael Montgomery ----

Will this guy balance the line for KGB? Is he the weapon we've been searching for?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, c'mon Sixone - You can do better than that.....

I'm not saying he's the next coming (of anything)...
BUT - his Stats read ---

• Reggie White ------- 6'5" - 300lbs
    Mike Montgomery -- 6'5" - 276lbs
The first comment I heard from the hoopla on the Packers Draft room video was getting some weight on the guy - about 20 lbs.... - and other than that, he needs some grooming, but is motivated...

Certainly, it would take quite a bit for anyone to really make a fair comparison - on the other hand, Reggie spent a few years over in Philly, when he was younger, and was not quite so experienced at his position as yet... He was just part of a machine, not the whole juggernaut. And, like here, he had help - LeRoy Butler, Mike Prior, etc - so, if we're looking at RAW MATERIAL, and IF Jim Bates is as good as we hope he can be as the new DC.... we do have possibilities with this guy. Sure, he could get hurt right away and we'll never know... but his reach is very comparable to Reggie's - long arms, is the first comment about the guy - so, pending he learns his craft properly... Hey - quit bitin' the hand that feeds ya! Let's just see what happens next! (Or state why you said "NO")

Let's all pretend the glass is half-full, Ya hey!

Roadrunner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was a gift that they just couldn't pass up. I'm mostly pleased with the draft this year, though I was a bit mystified that they picked so many offensive players on the first day. I hope they really do know more than I do.

It's really too early to grade this years draft, like others have said we really need to wait a year or two to see how well they've really done. There is still an awful lot of talent in positions we need (O & D line, backs) out there as UFAs. I hope a lot of them get off their duffs and give Lombardi Ave. a call.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Oh, c'mon Sixone - You can do better than that.....

I'm not saying he's the next coming (of anything)...
BUT - his Stats read ---

• Reggie White ------- 6'5" - 300lbs
    Mike Montgomery -- 6'5" - 276lbs
The first comment I heard from the hoopla on the Packers Draft room video was getting some weight on the guy - about 20 lbs.... - and other than that, he needs some grooming, but is motivated...

so, if we're looking at RAW MATERIAL, and IF Jim Bates is as good as we hope he can be as the new DC....

Let's all pretend the glass is half-full, Ya hey!

25th overall defense last year, we could get better on the fact that we have a DC who knows what he's doing...could get worse on the fact that we lost our best defensive player. Or it could balance out. Now that Hannibal Naivies is no longer a starter, our LB core is stronger. If, IF donnell Washington emerges, it could breathe some new life into our d-line, if Ahmad Carroll shows improvement as I think he can...we're gonna get better.

This defense will not be "stellar" in any means. NO there is no complement to KGB on this roster...there were a few on the draft board at 51, I guess Nick Collins' versatility will allow him to be a defensive end too, he'll have to be. Mike Montgomery is a project, but you take projects in round 5, not round 2...If Montgomery goes up to 290 and can maintain his semi-decent DE speed, he might end up starting there somtime soon.

The "complement" to KGB will have to be Jim Bates, and his ability to find ways for other people to get to the QB, Kampman was the second leading sacker on our team...with 4.5...I think Poppinga will come off the edge, Montgomery could develop as could Donnell Washington, Cullen Jenkins isn't that bad at forcing pressure on the pocket...we could send a lot of nickel blitz packages at other teams, we may as well have to because defensive back is the only position we seem to worry about anymore.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT @ GM Reached A Lot during NFL draft 2005.

I was not happy with this NFL draft. I think Aaron Rodgers might turn out. He will be holding a clipboard for 1 and maybe even 2 years.
Teddy T went with speed and promise with his DB selections. I thought the Packers D need tacklers. The Packers D missed way too many tackles last year.
The WRs will join an already deep unit. The Packers probably hope to upgrade the return game with the 2nd round WR.
I think the Packers will find out how good a defensive coordinator Bates is. I do not think Teddy T helped the Packers defense much and I thought the Packers D needs a lot of help.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, he won't balance the line. we need a stud, not a project. by the time this guy gets things figured out, kgb could be on the decline. dan cody was the missing secret weapon. justin tuck could have balanced out the line.

we wouldn't have to "pretend" that the glass is half full if it were.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
With picking up those receivers, remember how hurt we were in the Vikings game. We were down to Driver and Chatman and I think we had some one from the practice squad. So picking up some more WR I don't think is all 'that' bad. Possibly Ted is thinking the D is hopeless and we need more WR to keep more points on the board? lol

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FOR THE RECORD - I wasn't all that enamored with Day 1 of this year's Draft.

Having said that - and after watching the comments on Packers.com by Bates, & the rest..... I've decided the whole Staff deserves a chance. I'm not gonna berate anything they've done this year.. We've done a complete turn-around when it comes to the Draft, period - Sherman threw away picks last year and got BJ Sander.... What does that tell ya, SIXONE? Trust me, I don't prefer to single anyone out and to add to the point - I also refer this comment to anyone else out there who just didn't like the Drafting choices in any way, shape or form.

Badgering and bellowing about what we "shouldn't have to do" - like lazy people at the Office where I work, who are only interested in getting the credit without the effort is.... Well, it is... over with in this man's postings... I'm not gonna whine about any of it. "I like" the fact that more than half of Day 2 was all on Defense (5 out of 8 picks) and several of those guys are practically ready to step in, especially with the Bates scheme.... TT turned the Packers Draft from throwing picks away to making the number of picks (7) suddenly becoming "11" - that takes some intelligence in there somewhere... it's almost like Ron Wolf has returned to Lambeau Field. And, what's more - Sherman has kept his opinion to himself over it all. No "after Draft" interviews, did ya notice?

SO - For one - I always, and I do mean always... work to look at life like the glass is HALF-FULL.... never working my butt off to demonstrate the glass "has to be" HALF-EMPTY.... it'll just give ya ulcers.... trust me!

Have any of ya seen the reports on the FA's that were just signed?
There's more surprises in store from ol' TT - You watch!

Members online

Latest posts