Our new Left Guard? Place your bets...

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With "Tattoo You" Colledge taking his mediocre game of football to a new town, ( he couldn't hit anybody hard enough to break an egg) who is your bet to replace him?

The leading horses are Bulaga, Lang or perhaps even Sherrod. Newhouse & Dietrich-Smith are probably long shots, but you can be assured that TT & MM will put their 5 best on the field.

I would like to see Bulaga slide to LG and Sherrod win the RT spot.

....of course we can always bring back Fuzzy Thurston and run the Packer Sweep again! :yahoo:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Colledge’s inconsistency was very frustrating but he had his best season in 2010 and IMO it is not a slam dunk he’ll be easily replaced. His replacement will likely be a better run blocker but that is not nearly as important as how well he protects Rodgers pass blocking.

My guess is his replacement will be Lang. McCarthy has said he thinks his best position is LG and that has to carry a lot of weight. The ideal scenario IMO would be Lang succeeding at LG, Bulaga staying at RT and Sherrod taking over for Clifton at LT next season. Sherrod and Bulaga could switch – Bulaga going to LT and Sherrod to RT after Clifton is done but either way my hope is both stay at tackle.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't moving Bulaga create the risk for TWO offensive line deficiencies?

Bulaga was getting comfortable at tackle during the postseason so I wouldn't want to mess with that unless everyone else flopped. I can't see the Packers starting Sherrod right out of the gate. Halfway into the season? Perhaps.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to see Newhouse there. He is very quick (5.0 40), smart (double major) and has the size (6'4" 319). He's never going to be a tackle and I think it's important to keep Lang as a backup for the tackles. I thought about McDonald (who the Packers are very high on) but he's almost certainly the backup center.
The reason I think these things is that the team doesn't want to keep shifting players on the line. I honestly believe that's why Colledge lasted this last year, they just wanted the continuity. I really like what ThxJack had to say about moving Bulaga AFTER the season. I've wondered for some time how they were gonna get him over there without disrupting the line too much. Wouldn't all of us just LOVE to see Cliffy have another killer year?

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
its still cliffy for now. into the future I see it as, Bulaga/lang/?????/sitton/sherrod I think bulaga is underrated right now, the guy played awesome for a rookie, Never saw him get out matched physically, all his mistakes were mental and I feel like he is a hardworking guy that can get over that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang. It's his job to lose, McCarthy wanted him playing Left Guard since day one, but Campen insistend on RT. In fact, he's the reason the Packers were happy to let Colledge walk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang, and not that worried about this. actually think the loss of Brandon Jacksons blocking will hurt us more.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just came back to this site at the moment to PUT A POLL IN for the LEFT GUARD OPENING DAY starter!
Dang someone already started a similar thread, but didn't put a poll.

The leading candidates, in order, are:

TJ Lang
Nick McDonald
Marshall Newhouse

There's also a chance they could like how the rookie Sherrod looks at RT, and go with him there and move Bulaga to left guard next to Clifton and Wells, which is a position he could be a monster at like Sitton at RG.

Should be a good battle. The team really likes McDonald, who we all know nothing about but seems like a classic Teddy rags-to-riches story type of guy.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now Derek Sherrod is taking the first snaps at LG. Lang is currently taking 2nd team snaps. I don't know if they plan on continuing like this or if they're just seeing what Sherrod can do.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the later would be my guess. you know what lang can do, they havent tried Sherrod out yet (til today)

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Sherrod's job to lose.

Sherrod isn't suited for RT as that is more of a run oriented position. Sherrod is a finesse player with long arms. He's a natural LT. The only thing that is going to stop him from keeping the LG spot this year is a glaring lack of strength in the running game or if he can be bull rushed by larger NT.

Bulaga can play LT or RT. Bulaga has shorter arms. Bulaga played RT last year so they aren't going to mess with that now. Bulaga and Sitton is the running wing on this team. The old man Clifton and rookie Sherrod is not.

Lang is the #1 backup RT and LG this year. Once Clifton retires (next year) or gets injured (this year), Sherrod is going to move over to LT and Lang will be the LG (to replace Sherrod).

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now it's Lang's job to lose with Newhouse impressing and charging hard from the rear.

Derek Sherrod may have some strength/toughness issues. Exactly the knock on him.

Sherrod, the Packers’ first-round draft pick, had the good snap in blocking Raji at guard, but later at left tackle was beaten by Walden on a bull rush and was beaten badly on an outside speed rush by undrafted rookie Jamari Lattimore. On his last snap, back at guard, Sherrod had a stalemate with first-year pro Jay Ross.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was always Lang's job to lose. The only reason they put Sherrod in there early on is to see what the guy was capable off. If he somehow was a monster, a natural, then they would go with him, but they're counting on Lang to be the LG, the only reason he won't be is if he doesn't show enough, or someone shows more, but he'll have the most opportunities.

MM wanted him in there since he was drafted, but Campen envisioned him at RT. Now that we have Bulaga in there, and Sherrod to the future LT, Lang is at LG.

And it's not that Sherrod has strenght issues, it's that he doesn't know the way the Packers' OL plays, so he's too hesitant, he has to think too much in plays. The way Mississipi State run their OL was very different from what we do.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Sherrod's job to lose.

Sherrod isn't suited for RT as that is more of a run oriented position. Sherrod is a finesse player with long arms. He's a natural LT.
That sounds like a style of guard I don't want on my team, but would love to see on the opposing team.

Train Sherrod for OT, and roll with TJ at guard.

Members online

Latest posts